Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get bent, shitstain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Saw a bunch of posts, got excited thinking the new Streetlight got a release date. Am sad.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Saw a bunch of posts, got excited thinking the new Streetlight got a release date. Am sad.

That doesn't mean poo poo anymore because they had a release date before and it didn't mean anything to Tomas.

Dammit I'm mad about it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I've tried multiple times to get into BtMI! but I can't do it. I've seen iPod shows and full band shows and I just can't get into it. Jeff doesn't write bad poo poo but I'm just not a fan.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I have a theory that Rosenstock is trying to get as many recordings out as he can before Streetlight can get their new album out, just to screw with Tomas.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Jeff owns, BtMI! owns, ASOB owns, Kudrow owns, it all owns sorry

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And that's saying something holy poo poo. I turned it off as soon as the screaming started. He just needs to stop making "music" already.

on the contrary, he should make all of the music forever

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a hard time with BTMi as well. I like the occasional song, but most of the catalog just isn't for me.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

not a huge BTMI fan, though I am impressed with how prolific Rosenstock is/was under that moniker. I struggle to get into a lot of their stuff, though, outside of a few random tracks (493 Ruth, The First Time I Met Sanawon, Vocal Coach).

the best thing Rosenstock's ever done is still the combo of Sorry, We Steal/So Let's Go Nowhere

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Jeff owns, BtMI! owns, ASOB owns, Kudrow owns, it all owns sorry

on the contrary, he should make all of the music forever

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I can totally understand not liking any of the 4 albums Get Warmer and before (altough Get Warmer is a pretty kick rear end ska album) but if you don't like Scrambles, Adults, or Vacation, you're probably a husk of a human being with stone for a heart hth

nasboat posted:

the best thing Rosenstock's ever done is still the combo of Sorry, We Steal/So Let's Go Nowhere

Three Cheers was his best album until Scrambles, and then he made Vacation.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goodbye Cool World has Even Winning Feels Bad, though, and that's lyrically one of the most BtMI songs ever, up there with 25. I love basically any song that's Jeff thinking about the concept of "growing up".

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

GCW also has King of Minneapolis, Side Projects, and Sorry Brookyln which all loving rule, but the sound on those first 3 albums are rough and DIY as gently caress so I get why people are put off by them (even if they are wrong :o: )

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

25 and all the other "growing up is hard" songs are basically emo for my 27-year-old self. They resonate really well for me but in 10 years I'll probably think about BtMI the same way I currently think about the Get Up Kids and Rufio.

(just kidding GUK I love you forever)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have no problems with emo songs. Hell I love The Ergs! and all their songs are basically "waaa girls". BtMI! has some good songs. When they're played from the album. Live is just diarrhea.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
If you don't like highly chaotic live performances where the equipment breaks every song and staying in time means a full measure either ahead or behind then you just don't understand fun. You should also probably avoid anything that is even remotely related to punk music.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

It's not so much I don't enjoy fun as much as I basically hate DIY stuff. I mean its great for people to do all kinds of crazy poo poo on a shoestring budget but I just don't care for that kind of thing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, I'm not going to a BtMI! show for the music quality. Usually that's something that's pretty important to me, but with them it's not really the point.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I understand not liking DIY on stage. I've only seen BTMI live once and despite the chaos on stage they were still way better than the Have Nots. Of course, once the Bosstones started their set BTMI looked like a bunch of clowns. When such a comparison is possible it might be worth it to tone it down a bit. Still fun as hell.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Have Nots rule you take that back.

That venue was hot as loving BALLS though.

And if "fun" is bad music then I want no part in "fun".

To quote a friend, "i mean, if i wanted all those things (equipment breaking, not in time), i could watch a middle school marching band play and it would be less obnoxious than btmi"

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 28, 2012

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The Have Nots played for 40 plus minutes and in that whole time I'm fairly certain that they simply played one song over and over again, and to add insult to injury, that one song sounded like a mediocre Rancid cover.

That said, I have suffered through worse opening acts at ska shows and I'm quite happy to name culprits. While seeing RBF I was subjected to the Lloyd Dobbler Effect. To quote one of my friends at the show, "the only way this could get any worse is if they [Lloyd Dobbler Effect] pull out acoustic guitars and play a power ballad." The next thing out of the singer's mouth was, "Ok, we're gonna switch over to acoustic now and slow things down a bit." Son of a bitch.

However, topping this was Go Go Gadjet opening for Streetlight. They left the crowd in such a bad mood that even Streetlight couldn't turn things around. Still the worst show I've ever been to.

And now I want to hear other people's show horror stories.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Blink-182 headlining Pop Disaster in 2001. Saves The Day and Green Day were really loving good and then they came on at let all the air out of the balloon. The worst vocal mixing I've ever heard, I'm still not sure they weren't only wired through their instruments and singing into megaphones

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Blink-182 headlining Pop Disaster in 2001. Saves The Day and Green Day were really loving good and then they came on at let all the air out of the balloon. The worst vocal mixing I've ever heard, I'm still not sure they weren't only wired through their instruments and singing into megaphones

I saw this, I saw Jeff Rosenstock put a megaphone against his pick-ups and sing through it and it was incredible. It was absolutely incredible.

Ska horror story is probably Wilhelm Scream opening for Streetlight. That or whoever those lovely hardcore bands were that opened for Suicide Machines last spring.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I can totally understand not liking any of the 4 albums Get Warmer and before (altough Get Warmer is a pretty kick rear end ska album) but if you don't like Scrambles, Adults, or Vacation, you're probably a husk of a human being with stone for a heart hth

Three Cheers was his best album until Scrambles, and then he made Vacation.
Get Warmer is such a weird album in the library. It's like the "hump" album or something. Still a great album, though.

Dickeye posted:

Goodbye Cool World has Even Winning Feels Bad, though, and that's lyrically one of the most BtMI songs ever, up there with 25. I love basically any song that's Jeff thinking about the concept of "growing up".

This but Kings Of Minneapolis. Another song about growing up.

Album Minus Band has Future 86, It ceases to be whining... and FREE BIRD. But Laura Stevenson wrote FREE BIRD.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Laura Stevenson is another one I can't stand.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In general I don't like Laura Stevenson but man there's something about Master of Art that's just radical, and her part on All Ages Shows (another sweet song about growing up) is the best part.

Also she is super pretty and I want to hold her hand.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 28, 2012

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I saw her with Shellshag and uh I forget who else last year and she does do cute music but I'm in a place where I generally don't appreciate cute music/am completely sick of anything that sounds anything remotely like anything you hear in the New Brunswick pop punk scene.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say they hated DIY just for being DIY. Watching Defiance, Ohio, The Taxpayers, or BTMI play has been some of the most inspiring stuff I've ever seen on stage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's something about watching some dudes go up there and bang out songs and make a big loving mess and still pull off a coherent performance that makes you want to buy a lovely guitar with four strings that are out of tune and write a song.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

and still pull off a coherent performance

When has Bomb ever done that?

Making noise that vaguely sounds like the album recording doesn't count.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

When has Bomb ever done that?

The last time I saw them?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I just don't really have any interest in that kind of stuff. I mean bully for them for doing gigs like that but I'm just burnt out on that scene. I had very negative experiences in Boston and in NB trying to get things going and it's just super-frustrating to me. I mean the music is ok and not completely terrible but I have zero love for diy stuff these days. I've had tons of bands crash on my couch and I've helped on tours a bunch but quite frankly the whole diy/crust axis is not a lifestyle I'm really into.

edit: My favorite crustie experience was on the way to Fest last year some crustie begged a ride from the airport in Tampa to the Holiday Inn and offered us $50 which is whatever but once we got close he tried to bail out of the car. We didn't let him out and he only ended up giving us 10 bucks. We then proceeded to see him getting drunk pretty much the entire weekend.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 28, 2012

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
^^I always prefer DIY to the other end of the spectrum. With guys like Tomas, you get amazing stuff like Keasbey Nights with Catch 22, but then you get still-great-sounding-but-borderline-obsessive stuff like...Keasbey Nights. And there's no chance in heck I'd agree that "1234, 1234" is better on the latter. Some of the stuff on "Somewhere in the Between" is some of the most well composed music that's come out lately, and whatever they put out next will likely match that, it's still been five years and going.

Luckily we still have great stuff from the middle, like the Bosstones.

Dickeye posted:

The last time I saw them?

And every time. Their release show for Scrambles in the John Bosch house is hands down my favorite show memory. I spent almost the entire show standing on an amp case with water dripping on my head. When you're with 60 other people in a room that fits 25 or 30, screaming along to "Sort of Like Being Pumped," those are ideal conditions.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 28, 2012

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I find Laura Stevenson's music to be kinda generic, not bad, just kinda boring. She's so loving cute though that I can't stand it. She's also got a nice voice and I like all of the supporting stuff she's done.

Dickeye posted:

I sw this, I saw Jeff Rosenstock put a megaphone against his pick-ups and sing through it and it was incredible. It was absolutely incredible.

Yeah, but it was probably in a room of less that 500 people, not an arena.

I want to see that :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yeah, but it was probably in a room of less that 500 people, not an arena.

I want to see that :(

It was awesome. It sounded cool as poo poo because it was distorted like three times and good god that was a cool show. I ended up kneeling on the stage at the end because there just wasn't room on the floor, so I just hit my knees at the edge of the stage and pounded on the floor to Saddr Weirdr.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I really enjoy Laura Stevenson and the Cans, but not really any other singer/songwriters like that. I think it's the rather unique combination of instrumentation that goes along with her lyrics, which just connect with me better than a lot of other writers. The music on "The Healthy One" is just great.

Edit: Also, back to DIY. This is where the Taxpayers have been writing some of their new album:

I guess if the idea of that doesn't get you hard, I can see DIY not being for you.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 28, 2012

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lessthankyle posted:

^^I always prefer DIY to the other end of the spectrum. With guys like Tomas, you get amazing stuff like Keasbey Nights with Catch 22, but then you get still-great-sounding-but-borderline-obsessive stuff like...Keasbey Nights. And there's no chance in heck I'd agree that "1234, 1234" is better on the latter. Some of the stuff on "Somewhere in the Between" is some of the most well composed music that's come out lately, and whatever they put out next will likely match that, it's still been five years and going.

I won't make the argument that Streetlight's Keasbey measures up at all because it doesn't, but in general I kind of enjoy when bands have actual production. I mean I get it for high school bands and stuff but I also really loving hate badly miked horns.

I also stopped going to basement shows because every single vocalist likes to sound like complete dogshit around here.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

now get off my lawn

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
It's the most activity your lawn has seen in months.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I mean I hate to ask, but how old are you? Only because between the ages of 16-22 I was super ultra mega gung ho about this stuff but now that I'm older I'm kind of only really getting into stuff that's already a known quantity on a label like don giovanni or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If I was 16 or 40 I'd probably think BTMI was wonderful but instead I just want Westbound Train to put out a new album already so I can put it on, lay in a hammock and do nothing