Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They rivet the windscreen/roof section on after you get in. Why would you ever want to leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
here's some ugly old car I found

nah just kidding

Kaiser I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Kaiser II by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

It's a 1951 Kaiser Traveler, which was Kaiser's take on a sorta pseudo-station wagon. The trunk is connected to the rear seats, and the roof section with the rear window lifts up. It's for sale for $16,000 near where I live, and is equipped with a dual-range Hydramatic transmission for the best in driver convenience.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Anyone have any idea what this is?

DSC_0117 by medullanocte, on Flickr

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Looks very Citroën Traction Avant to me, but 30s cars all look the same somehow so who knows...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'm going to say Traction Avant as well. There are a few variants, and I couldn't tell you which it is, though.

Edit: Luckily, that's a UK reg, so yes, it's a '51 Citroen TA, and specifically a Big Six (known as the 15CV elsewhere in the world). I think the front bumper is wrong for a UK-built car, though? Possibly swapped by someone, the are a bit uglier.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 26, 2012

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It's missing the chevrons which are usually the dead giveaway on those. Might be a rebuild or WIP something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

It's missing the chevrons which are usually the dead giveaway on those. Might be a rebuild or WIP something.
Yeah, while I've never seen one without them, I don't think they're part of the main grille, so shouldn't be too hard to remove.

My grandfather owned one from new, sold it when he bought a caravan because everyone told him he wouldn't be able to tow with FWD. I'll ask my dad if he's got a picture anywhere.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To all you HOA home owners, this was done in a townhouse complex parking lot :canada:.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sockington posted:

To all you HOA home owners, this was done in a townhouse complex parking lot :canada:.

Screw you, hoser! Did this in a goddamn grocery store parking lot! On Thanksgiving. :911:

E: Still have 49.5' left

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I did front axles in a parking lot 600 miles from home in the middle of a road trip:

Then when I was in NC on a business trip, 1500 miles from home. My pressure plate decided to die.
So this happened...

But overall it was a fun trip, I got to drive around on the beach. Got some weird looks from the drunk guys with bro trucks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
As always, the guys at Hot Rod have you covered.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

But overall it was a fun trip, I got to drive around on the beach. Got some weird looks from the drunk guys with bro trucks.

Where the hell is MP 83 in the outer banks?????? I'm guessing you were somewhere else.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sockington posted:

It's not truly :canada: unless it's done in a Canadian Tire parking lot.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Motronic posted:

Where the hell is MP 83 in the outer banks?????? I'm guessing you were somewhere else.

Southern end of the outer banks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Southern end of the outer banks.

OK, but WHERE? I used to live near there and drive it all the time for work and fishing. The Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry (on the Hatteras side) is in the low 70s. I don't recall what the Ocracoke side is, but for the time I was there there was no 4x4 beach access on Ocracoke. Or I missed something awesome (and you got out there on the car ferry, which I used to absolutely love doing).

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

That was awesome. I think the video captures their misery so much better than an article would have.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Motronic posted:

OK, but WHERE? I used to live near there and drive it all the time for work and fishing. The Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry (on the Hatteras side) is in the low 70s. I don't recall what the Ocracoke side is, but for the time I was there there was no 4x4 beach access on Ocracoke. Or I missed something awesome (and you got out there on the car ferry, which I used to absolutely love doing).

Yea, that's Ocracoke. I took the car ferry over from Cedar island. It wasn't very expensive, either. $12 each way, or thereabouts.
They only allow 4x4 access in the winter, this was over thanksgiving last year. I drove the whole way across the island, and yea. It's in the 70's on the north end, and ends up in the 80's on the south end.
It was pretty deserted, there were miles of beach with no other people. I'd never driven on a beach before, it was so awesome to air down the tires and cruise. The car just floats over the sand. I do have to admit, it took quite a bit of self control not to drive like a total maniac and go sideways all over the place.
I was working down in Beaufort at the time, so when I had a few days off that's what I ended up doing.

I lived here for a few months. My car left a lot of oil and rust stains in the driveway. It didn't fit in with the neighborhood at all...

And one more pic, because I loved that trip

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 27, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh yeah....that kicks rear end. I don't know if the beach access is new or I just missed it. I was a Bodie Island (just south of Kill Devil Hills by the horizontally black and white striped lighthouse) rat for years.

I used to love those ferries, but on more than one occasion was on Ocracoke for work and didn't make the last one out.

Dammit.....this is all about and around the only things I miss about living in North Carolina. I taught so many people how to drive on sand (or off road at all) on those beaches.

I used to love pulling morons in Jeeps out in my '97 F150 which seemed unstoppable to the idiots.....I ordered it with a posi front and rear and knew how to air my tires down....none of this is rocket science.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CatBus posted:

That was awesome. I think the video captures their misery so much better than an article would have.

They have a great YouTube channel, I don't think any of their videos disappoint.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That elco engine swap is one of my favorite videos of theirs. They're all pretty drat good though.

I think the furthest from home I've ever worked on my cars was 1000 miles away, in Indiana, in a gravel parking spot in a campground in early March. It snowed while I fabricated myself a custom rear bumper... cooled the welds off a little faster at least.

No pics of the actual work in progress, but I brought a drill press, angle grinder, and welder, and built the drat bumper on the spot because I needed a rear tow point to pass tech. If we hadn't had 6" of snow the day I left home I would have built it in my yard but I got unlucky.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VikingSkull posted:

They have a great YouTube channel, I don't think any of their videos disappoint.

Roadkill is the only reason I'm subscribed to Motortrend's channel.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

e: More AZ-1s :woop: (and a couple of Caras)

Such an awesome car. If these were legal to import in the US I'd do it and swap a rotary in it.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 27, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ Whoa that red one right at the bottom is awesome. Well aside from the spoiler.

I randomly came across this rod build a few minutes ago and it is beautiful. The time and effort gone into it is huge, this is a piece of rolling art for real.

http://youtu.be/IqaSSmx2o38

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 28, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at and why I was getting a boner.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Memento1979 posted:

It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at and why I was getting a boner.

Is it an RX-7 with a body kit?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

front wing flexing posted:

Is it an RX-7 with a body kit?

Just a guess, but those look like headlights off of a 911.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Just a guess, but those look like headlights off of a 911.

And that's the only part that looks that way.

I'm not an RX-7 guy, but the windshield rake and deck lid look very Mazda to me.

That whole car is very UNF!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Making FDs look like Porsches is apaprently A Thing in :japan:

Maybe it started from how the 944 and the FC are basically identical cars?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Nelson Racing Engines' 1969 Camaro got a bit of an update:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well, this may not be as awesome as that Camaro but since we don't have the cell phone pics thread anymore I thought this was pretty cool to see driving around Northern Virginia, where I can't imagine you'd have a terribly interesting safari.

Those tires are closer in width to my bicycle's than my car's.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
This car has been sitting on the same street for a year and only gets moved once a week for street cleaning. It's one block away from my office and I see it every day. I'm really tempted to leave a note on the window offering to buy it. Not that I need a 5th car, but at least it'll see some use.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Me-Like...IN%3D1462042201

The author

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

So throw money at her, and never actually be able to do anything with her except for brief fleeting moments that really aren't worth it in the long run? :smith: Or leave her for five years locked in the garage and malnourished!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Octopus Magic posted:

So throw money at her, and never actually be able to do anything with her except for brief fleeting moments that really aren't worth it in the long run? :smith: Or leave her for five years locked in the garage and malnourished!

Drive her hard for a couple of years, then sell her when the groaning noises and maintenance costs become too much to handle.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Spend a lot of time in court and then lose your real girlfriend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Chop parts out of her then pull them out and replace them with newer parts in the company of other men?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

davebo posted:

Well, this may not be as awesome as that Camaro but since we don't have the cell phone pics thread anymore I thought this was pretty cool to see driving around Northern Virginia, where I can't imagine you'd have a terribly interesting safari.

Those tires are closer in width to my bicycle's than my car's.

A '93 Defender 110 NAS. 1 of 500 and worth $60-70K on average. Some really nice examples top six figures. I'd trade all my cars to have one.

Those tires are OEM size. There's an eternal argument over which is better, tall and skinny or fatter tires. Here's a whole paper about the advantages/disadvantages. http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

join a 'lady' sharing club where various 'ladies' are parked in lots and alleys around the neighborhood, and all the members of club can rent out the 'ladies' on an hourly basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ride her hard through the forest, sometimes bumping along slowly with a big load of wood in the back?

I'm down either way :haw: