Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't really like most of BTMI's output even on the albums. I liked some of the old ASOB stuff okay, but most of the BTMI I've heard is too screamy for my taste. I listen to a lot of punk but more from the oi end of the spectrum.

I enjoy stuff like 25! but that's about as screamy as I want to deal with and even then I want it to be less screamy.

BTMI has the best song names, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really love BtMI because so much of their music is just about life and growing up and being in a band and dealing with poo poo and the weird production and horrible singing just make it feel really honest, like this is the thing a dude does to vent his frustrations, just goes out in a garage or whatever and writes some music and calls his friends and they play it and record it and then let people listen to it, and not either pandering bullshit or just terrible nonsense.

It doesn't hurt that he's legitimately great at the whole composing music thing, either.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

lessthankyle posted:

Edit: Also, back to DIY. This is where the Taxpayers have been writing some of their new album:

I guess if the idea of that doesn't get you hard, I can see DIY not being for you.

Ungh this album is going to be awesome

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have basically no grasp of why the location at which something is being written would appeal or not appeal to you.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
My BTMI love stems from the fact that I am 22, and at the tail end of my college career, and Grandmaster is probably correct when he implies my age and situation leads to my fondness for Bomb and Jeff. But Bomb is more of an exception for me than a norm. For the most part I don't really like ska-core. I think this is because as much as I like DIY bands, I'm not a huge fan of crusty culture which seems to have overrun DIY and ska-core. This is why I love Bomb, they're DIY but not crust. I'll also note that I didn't get into Bomb until Vacation came out, probably because of the themes explored in the album, which I happen to identify with at this point in my life. And I admit, my tastes are always changing in music. When I was first getting into ska and punk, nearly a decade ago, I didn't like the Pietasters because back then, when I was a dumb child, I wanted faster tempos, more yelling. I wanted my music to be, well... more violent. Who knows what I'll like in 5 or 10 more years.

One more thing I'll say for Bomb. We tend to exaggerate the sloppiness of their sets almost as an inside joke. They aren't completely inept, it's just that they don't take themselves very seriously on stage, which I think is a welcome change.

Edit:

guppy posted:

I have basically no grasp of why the location at which something is being written would appeal or not appeal to you.

Have you not seen Metalocalypse?

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 28, 2012

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I mean I hate to ask, but how old are you? Only because between the ages of 16-22 I was super ultra mega gung ho about this stuff but now that I'm older I'm kind of only really getting into stuff that's already a known quantity on a label like don giovanni or something.

I've been into DIY since I started going to shows around 14 or 15, but most of that was just the only exposure I had growing up in PA. I'm 27 now and probably seek it out more than I used to. It seems like it has a lot to do with the scene you were exposed to. We didn't have much going on for us in PA and DE, and it was too hard to get to Jersey before anyone was able to drive there. Now that I'm in NYC, though, it sometimes seems harder to find a venue that is fun to go to, so when I find a place like John Bosch or Death By Audio, it usually has a really great community built up around it, that'd a big part of it here. I'm not sure about CT and MA, but there's a great DIY community that isn't just crustie punks. The Silent Barn folks out here all seem nice from whenever I've met them, and they have a pretty big following from all sorts of DIY artists, even gaming communities like Babycastles.

guppy posted:

Really? You don't see how something written in the middle of the bayou in LA can result in totally different songs/moods/themes than one written in the middle of NYC? Drawing inspiration from location is nothing new and can have a huge impact on the resulting work. I don't mean this in a condescending way, I'm just surprised.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 28, 2012

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hobbit posted:

Have you not seen Metalocalypse?

No.

lessthankyle posted:

Really? You don't see how something written in the middle of the bayou in LA can result in totally different songs/moods/themes than one written in the middle of NYC? Drawing inspiration from location is nothing new and can have a huge impact on the resulting work.

Of course I do. That doesn't mean I think "oh sweet, this is gonna be a bayou album." That kind of thinking is totally alien to me.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The Taxpayers entire sound is that loving cabin. I can only imagine writing there will make it better.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
^^It immediately reminded me of their cover for "A Rhythm In The Cages." http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur031.htm

guppy posted:

No.

Of course I do. That doesn't mean I think "oh sweet, this is gonna be a bayou album." That kind of thinking is totally alien to me.

I don't think it'll be a "bayou album", but they've shown a great ability to write songs directly inspired by where they visit (Never Getting Warm, Stealing Apples From The Man, etc.), and that just seems like a really loving fun place to write and be creative.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lessthankyle posted:

I've been into DIY since I started going to shows around 14 or 15, but most of that was just the only exposure I had growing up in PA. I'm 27 now and probably seek it out more than I used to. It seems like it has a lot to do with the scene you were exposed to. We didn't have much going on for us in PA and DE, and it was too hard to get to Jersey before anyone was able to drive there. Now that I'm in NYC, though, it sometimes seems harder to find a venue that is fun to go to, so when I find a place like John Bosch or Death By Audio, it usually has a really great community built up around it, that'd a big part of it here. I'm not sure about CT and MA, but there's a great DIY community that isn't just crustie punks. The Silent Barn folks out here all seem nice from whenever I've met them, and they have a pretty big following from all sorts of DIY artists, even gaming communities like Babycastles.

DBA kind of owns but I'll pretty much only ever see my friends bands there. As far as I know there was a scene in New Hope years back but I used to drive to New Brunswick from Boston all the time to see the Ergs! and bands like that. Except now that I actually live here I kind of can't stand 90% of the shows going on. Boston was pretty good about shows for the most part but the DIY scene is a lot less developed there.

I'm also just butthurt that I started a street style marching band before I left and nobody was interested in putting us on shows so we just played street corners a lot before we all just kind of gave up. We got on a few high school ska shows in the Boston suburbs but nothing really interesting ever came of it. A lot of the DIY bills were looking for folk punk and dumb guitar poo poo and had no interest in horns.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 28, 2012

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I've never listened to btmi before and I just got Vacation and think it's awesome. Is this not like their other albums? It's obviously not as musically deep as, say, a Streetlight album but I think it's a ton of fun and not too screamy/lofi

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I've never listened to btmi before and I just got Vacation and think it's awesome. Is this not like their other albums? It's obviously not as musically deep as, say, a Streetlight album but I think it's a ton of fun and not too screamy/lofi

Vacation is pretty different from their other stuff and generally from my experience isn't the first album I've introduced BTMI! to people with.

I think it's the best album.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rear end Catchcum posted:

Scrambles is probably their best musically speaking, lots of piano driven bits. Also Saddr Weirdr.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes Vacation - none of my friends enjoy it as much as I do, but it's the only BTMI! album that I think rivals Scrambles in songwriting quality.

Also I really like Laura Stevenson and the Cans. I think what she lacks in musical originality she more than makes up for with vocal talent and a penchant for writing lyrics.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The recent discussion has got me listening to BTMI again, and for all my complaints 25! really is a great song.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

BTMI! just announced their final show of their tour - it's in Boston.

Hell loving yes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
BTMI! is basically my favorite band ever (at least until / if the Streetlight album ever comes out), but when I first heard them I hated them. That's basically the best way I can describe them - an acquired taste.

I listened to a few songs, thought "holy poo poo this singing is awful he's practically whining/screaming gently caress this" and didn't listen to anything of their for a while. I saw this thread talking them up and gave them another shot with Scrambles. I enjoyed the usual few tracks from it (25!, Stuff That I Like) and didn't really care much for the rest. I kept listening to it though, and started to like the other songs. Then I started to love all of the songs as I listened to them more and more. Decided to try out Get Warmer and thought "man, none of these songs are really THAT good - some are okay." Cue me listening through it a few times and falling in love with it. Repeat for basically every one of their albums, except Vacation which I pretty much loved immediately.

For whatever reason, Jeff's stuff sounds pretty average to me when I first listen to it, then once I listen to it a few times I loving fall in love with it. A big part of it, to me, is definitely the lyrics. I can relate to a lot of the stuff he sings about - form learning to grow up, to losing loved ones, to hating your job, to trying to find your place in the world.

I went to the BTMI show in Los Angeles earlier in August, at the All Different Colors venue, and it was probably the greatest concert I've ever been to. It was extraordinarily small, the room was as packed full of people as it could possibly be, and the energy of the room just swept everyone up and it was unlike any other show I'd ever been to, even if it was basically just in a closet.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

CodfishCartographer posted:

BTMI! is basically my favorite band ever (at least until / if the Streetlight album ever comes out), but when I first heard them I hated them. That's basically the best way I can describe them - an acquired taste.

I listened to a few songs, thought "holy poo poo this singing is awful he's practically whining/screaming gently caress this" and didn't listen to anything of their for a while. I saw this thread talking them up and gave them another shot with Scrambles. I enjoyed the usual few tracks from it (25!, Stuff That I Like) and didn't really care much for the rest. I kept listening to it though, and started to like the other songs. Then I started to love all of the songs as I listened to them more and more. Decided to try out Get Warmer and thought "man, none of these songs are really THAT good - some are okay." Cue me listening through it a few times and falling in love with it. Repeat for basically every one of their albums, except Vacation which I pretty much loved immediately.

For whatever reason, Jeff's stuff sounds pretty average to me when I first listen to it, then once I listen to it a few times I loving fall in love with it. A big part of it, to me, is definitely the lyrics. I can relate to a lot of the stuff he sings about - form learning to grow up, to losing loved ones, to hating your job, to trying to find your place in the world.

When I listen to Btmi a lot of the time I think, 'Hey I can relate to this.' The rest of the time is 'jeff get the gently caress out of my head.'

I think his best two are Vacation and Album Minus Band. In ABM he sings about anxiety, suicide, and experiences of being in a band and how horrible and poo poo it can be. I'd argue he doesn't romanticize that kind of content (suicide) like most other bands. I'm thinking of all those emo bands who use it as a hook to make a song feel meaningful or engaging. When he brings it up the song feels like a way of coping, and rejecting it.

quote:

5 Funerals (Long Island, Forest Hills)

Probably the saddest song I'll ever write. When everything was overwhelming, I went to the beach and floated it the ocean hoping that some insane current would sweep me up, take me out to the middle of the ocean where I'd never see anyone ever again. The next morning I found out that a close family friend, and an aunt of one of my close friends had died of cancer. I also found out later on that a friend's dad had died, and even later than that drummer of Premarital Sax, Zach Insler (sic, i'm sorry zach.) At funerals, I can't cry and I always feel terrible about it but at my family friend's funeral not only did I feel terrible about that but I felt terrible that I thought about floating out into the ocean the day before, and THEN i felt terrible about feeling terrible... gently caress, YO. I eventually wrote this whole song in my head at the funeral. ...
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur002/05.mp3

Most of his stuff is almost in response to the themes in the first album (there's even a lyric on Get Warmer 'Blah blah blah problems self involved, blah blah blah problems self involved.'), coming together with Vacation which is pretty much a concept album about being life affirming.

I still can't figure out Get Warmer, it is definitely the 'hump' album though.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Jeff owns, BtMI! owns, ASOB owns, Kudrow owns, it all owns sorry

You forgot pegausus-XL :ssh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get Warmer is obviously the album about recognizing there's a problem and that it needs to be fixed, Scrambles is about recovery, and Vacation is about being recovered and enjoying life again.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Let's talk about cool bands.

The Shifters are pretty drat awesome. Saw them back in August and they ruled. If you're into rocksteady at all get on them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Shifters/101587719903740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl3zKrAvIVU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Let's talk about cool bands.

We already were.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

We already were.

Oh I thought you were talking about BTMI.

Here's some rad Russian ska from Leningrad. I don't know what they're saying, but I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89laxIGSVZ8

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Here's some rad Russian ska from Leningrad. I don't know what they're saying, but I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89laxIGSVZ8

They're CALLED Leningrad, Leningrad doesn't exist anymore, Fatty.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I see when the Paranoid Android video made it over to Russia, they added a bunch of midgets and horns.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

What a loving sick burn.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Been listening to RBF's Candy Coated Fury again. It's growing on me a fair bit. Not every track is a winner, of course, but it's much more solid than the previous album and I'm enjoying it.

Something similar happened to me with We're Not Happy Until You're Not Happy, which I wasn't crazy about for a while, and then some time passed and I realized a bunch of songs I liked were from that album.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

They're CALLED Leningrad, Leningrad doesn't exist anymore, Fatty.

Saying from Leningrad is like saying here's a song from Streetlight. :ssh:

Less Than Jake - Greetings and Salutations is still awesome. I don't think there's a song on there I hate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Scrambles is a really good album about not having your poo poo together, in case anybody had forgotten.

I'm glad Jeff's getting his poo poo together though :unsmith:

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Leningrad reminds me a lot Mongol Shuudan, a Russian punk/anarcho-rock band. I suspect Mongol Shuudan was the first Russian band to incorporate any second or third gen ska influences into their music. Just my guess though since Mongol Shuudan put their first record out in 1989.

Here's something from 1995 after their sound matured a bit: http://mongolshuudan.ru/files/07_olukh_carja.mp3

Unfortunately I couldn't find an mp3 or a video of any of their songs where the influences are super obvious.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Can anyone with better eyes/internet detective skills tell who designed streetlights website?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I'm glad Jeff's getting his poo poo together though :unsmith:

Only if he's going to keep writing music about it.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

I wish Jeff would put out another Others! album already, he has a lot of material and random songs just released on tumblr or whatever.
I don't know if this came up when it was released but I've been listening to it heaps recently. https://soundcloud.com/crookedneighbor/ethiopians?in=crookedneighbor/sets/tallahassee-turns-ten

Although I don't know if he recorded it himself (so can give it away for free or not). I doubt the Little Boxes cover was,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just saw my last BtMI show. I got lifted up to surf like three times during Baby I Don't Love You and was dressed as a banana the whole time. I'm gonna miss these dudes.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

Dickeye posted:

I just saw my last BtMI show. I got lifted up to surf like three times during Baby I Don't Love You and was dressed as a banana the whole time. I'm gonna miss these dudes.

Hey now, hiatuses aren't permanent! But I know what you mean - I'm seeing them on Thursday and it's gonna be simultaneously sad and awesome.

I can't wait.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I give it about 18 months before Jeff either has BTMI doing shows again or forms another band. I don't believe he can truly stop.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Literally every time my feet hit the ground at the end someone would pick me back up. Like, I'd land, I'd step up on the stage for a second because it was the only place to stand, and someone would grab my legs and just throw me back in the air. I cracked Jeff in the head with my foot. Then I bought an awesome shirt and a CD and gave him a hug and told him how much his band and his music meant to me.

gently caress.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Were you still in the Banana costume?

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.

Hobbit posted:

I give it about 18 months before Jeff either has BTMI doing shows again or forms another band. I don't believe he can truly stop.

It'll definitely be less than 18 months, Kudrow is playing a show in Brooklyn in January!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Psalmanazar posted:

Were you still in the Banana costume?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donges
Aug 4, 2012

Just got back from the Boston BTMI show. It was actually really sad in some ways, but it was kind of beautiful too. Jeff was smiling and he seemed really happy it ended with such a good show.

Also there were a LOT of crowdsurfers, almost all of whom hit me in the head.