Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

WorkingStiff posted:

If you want to post a screen cap of what your diskmgmt.msc looks like, you might get a more concrete answer, but you should be able to right click on it in Disk Management and remove it's drive letter or even delete it. Keep in mind that depending on the OS, you might need that small partition to boot, so be prepared to do a startup repair if it goes bad.

Don't delete the partition, but just remove the drive letter. Even if you remove the drive letter, the partition itself will still be there (as it should be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dox posted:

Does this monitor all traffic over the network or just from your PC? I can't seem to get it to work with all traffic on the network, preferably only external traffic.
Just what goes in and out of the pc it's installed on. It won't be aware what other computers on the same local network are exchanging with each other or with the internet.

For that, the router-with-Tomato mentioned on the previous page is the most feasible option.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Grawl posted:

Don't delete the partition, but just remove the drive letter. Even if you remove the drive letter, the partition itself will still be there (as it should be).

Alright, cool. I knew the partition had been there on the original drive, but I couldn't figure out if there was a reason why Windows was showing it now.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Alright, cool. I knew the partition had been there on the original drive, but I couldn't figure out if there was a reason why Windows was showing it now.

The reason I said to look in diskmgmt.msc is that there is a real possibility that the OS created a totally new 100MB partition (it is used for Bitlocker and the Windows Recovery Environment).

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I downloaded a very cool app I guess on firefox or Windows 7 directly ( can't remember...) at the recommendation of some goons. It automatically tints your monitor to whatever time of day it is.

Problem is, it's giving my Star Wars: The Old Republic and iracing an orangey glow.

I have no idea how to disable it or what it was even called. Help!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I downloaded a very cool app I guess on firefox or Windows 7 directly ( can't remember...) at the recommendation of some goons. It automatically tints your monitor to whatever time of day it is.

Problem is, it's giving my Star Wars: The Old Republic and iracing an orangey glow.

I have no idea how to disable it or what it was even called. Help!

f.lux. You can disable it for an hour, or just exit it. It should show up in your system tray.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Bless you sir.

Agh, so bright now!

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Any good gmail account consolidation programs? I'm currently just using Digsby to check multiple accounts at the same time but something more tailored to just gmail would be great. There's also a bit of a delay between receiving an email and digsby updating to reflect this. Just a small program that monitors each gmail and lets me know when I get a new one would be great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

aw yiss posted:

Any good gmail account consolidation programs? I'm currently just using Digsby to check multiple accounts at the same time but something more tailored to just gmail would be great. There's also a bit of a delay between receiving an email and digsby updating to reflect this. Just a small program that monitors each gmail and lets me know when I get a new one would be great.

Can you just set up one of your accounts to fetch email from your other accounts?

I've got over 10 email addresses but I have them all added to just one gmail address and then filters set up to sort them appropriately.

If you do that, then you don't need a notifier that supports multiple addresses...

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Can you just set up one of your accounts to fetch email from your other accounts?

I've got over 10 email addresses but I have them all added to just one gmail address and then filters set up to sort them appropriately.

If you do that, then you don't need a notifier that supports multiple addresses...

I kind of like having a desktop application personally. I don't always have a browser window open and a very quick way to visualize multiple accounts is great. For example I just glance over to digsby and see I have an email on an address that isn't really priority and mostly receives mailing list stuff and I can wait to check it. If I look over and see one I mostly use for projects then I know to check right away.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

aw yiss posted:

You could always just use an actual mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
I have four hard drives in my computer. How do I tell which ones are sleeping and which ones are active? I'm looking for a utility that will display sleep/wake status of all hard drives in my computer. I'm trying to cut down on some heat in my case and I have a suspicion that some hard drives that are rarely used are NOT powering down.

This does not work for me: http://superuser.com/questions/400213/utility-to-show-if-hdd-is-in-sleep-mode-for-windows

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Diovanti posted:

I have four hard drives in my computer. How do I tell which ones are sleeping and which ones are active? I'm looking for a utility that will display sleep/wake status of all hard drives in my computer. I'm trying to cut down on some heat in my case and I have a suspicion that some hard drives that are rarely used are NOT powering down.

This does not work for me: http://superuser.com/questions/400213/utility-to-show-if-hdd-is-in-sleep-mode-for-windows

I may be wrong. I don't think HDs spinning up are causing enough heat to be a significant issue. I keep mine awake constantly and never have heat issues. I've got 3 in mine.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Hard drives only really get hot from use. Just spinning away idly creates so little heat (barely above ambient) that I wouldn't worry about it.

More likely that they're blocking airflow somehow than generating heat themselves.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Anyone have any recommendations for software that will rip Blu Ray drives to a format readable by an iphone? (Or a format readable by handbrake).

My boss is looking for a sub $40 software that will let him put his blu ray movies onto his iphone/ipad for travel.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sub $40 it's not happening.

Blu-ray encryption is constantly updated, and ripping software likewise has to keep up in the DRM arms race which is a pretty significant challenge requiring a lot of man hours. The best software I'm aware of that does this is AnyDVD HD, but they stopped offering lifetime subscriptions a while back, and their cheapest plan is 63 Euros for one year. DVDFab has similar software for $60/year or $105/lifetime but I can't vouch for it specifically.

Once you have a decrypted rip, you can throw the files into RipBot264, which is free and has iPhone-compatible presets.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Thermopyle posted:

This seems really awesome and something I need to set up for my self, Gmail is my primary email and I have an alt main that's Hotmail and another Hotmail email for GFWL, as well and even another Gmail used for junk and crap. Anywho how does one set this up exactly? How does it work and look on my end, is there any downside to doing this? If I set everything up to go to my main Gmail are they just copies / notifications of emails that are in my other accounts, and will they still be in the original email accounts when I log into those?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the keystroke to send ctrl-alt-del to a remote windows session that's within another remote session? Like I'm connected from my workstation to server1, and from server1 over to server2; and I want to send ctrl-alt-del to server2.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

stubblyhead posted:

What's the keystroke to send ctrl-alt-del to a remote windows session that's within another remote session? Like I'm connected from my workstation to server1, and from server1 over to server2; and I want to send ctrl-alt-del to server2.

Try Ctrl-Alt-End or Ctrl-Alt-Escp.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Grawl posted:

Try Ctrl-Alt-End or Ctrl-Alt-Escp.

Using my example above, ctrl-alt-end looks like it sends it to server1. Ctrl-alt-esc doesn't appear to do anything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Using my example above, ctrl-alt-end looks like it sends it to server1. Ctrl-alt-esc doesn't appear to do anything.

Do you want to open the Task Manager or do something else? If it's just the task manager you can run taskmgr at the command line.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

stubblyhead posted:

shift-ctrl-alt-del should be for two levels deep.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IT Guy posted:

RealVNC but it costs money. Otherwise either ultravnc or tightvnc, although in my opinion, don't compare to the speed of RealVNC. However, consider using RDP because it hands down beats VNC anyday.

http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/

They still have a free version that does the simple remote connection.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Im_Special posted:

This seems really awesome and something I need to set up for my self, Gmail is my primary email and I have an alt main that's Hotmail and another Hotmail email for GFWL, as well and even another Gmail used for junk and crap. Anywho how does one set this up exactly? How does it work and look on my end, is there any downside to doing this? If I set everything up to go to my main Gmail are they just copies / notifications of emails that are in my other accounts, and will they still be in the original email accounts when I log into those?

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=21289&from=21288&rd=1

That should get you started.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Adding to this, you should really check out whether your other email providers support automatic e-mail forwarding. Gmail will usually fetch your e-mail once every 10-30 minutes, but if you can set up automatic e-mail forwarding, Gmail will receive any e-mails (almost) instantly.

Then it's just a matter of setting up your main Gmail account so that you can send e-mails using your other adresses, and you're set.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah I did this and got it working, its great I wish I knew about this sooner. Something I'm a little concerned about though is while I'm logged into my Gmail it will check my Hotmail a little to frequently and then I start getting these errors showing in my history log saying something along the lines of access denied for 15 minutes blah blah, I'm just worried this constant spamming Gmail is doing that I have no control over is going to piss off Microsoft and get my account locked/closed. It's probably nothing and I'm just worrying, but my Hotmail is pretty damned important.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Im_Special posted:

Yeah I did this and got it working, its great I wish I knew about this sooner. Something I'm a little concerned about though is while I'm logged into my Gmail it will check my Hotmail a little to frequently and then I start getting these errors showing in my history log saying something along the lines of access denied for 15 minutes blah blah, I'm just worried this constant spamming Gmail is doing that I have no control over is going to piss off Microsoft and get my account locked/closed. It's probably nothing and I'm just worrying, but my Hotmail is pretty damned important.

I don't know anything about Hotmail, but can you just set up Hotmail to automatically forward all your emails to your gmail account?

Remember, you can set up a filter for such emails and dump them into a label/folder if you need to be sure you keep them separate from your other emails.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know anything about Hotmail, but can you just set up Hotmail to automatically forward all your emails to your gmail account?

Remember, you can set up a filter for such emails and dump them into a label/folder if you need to be sure you keep them separate from your other emails.

I just made the switch from POP3 to email forwarding, with filters that send everything to a folder that was sent to that email, so I'll give it a few days to see how this works out.

In theory everything should work the exact same as with POP3, and this also seems to me like the superior way and less compromisey way of doing this over POP3's method, so whats the point of POP3 then? I'd rather have email(b) and email(c) just send copies of their emails as emails to email(a) instead of having email(a)(Google) log into my emails(b/c) accounts periodically with my username/password to retrieve emails.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

I just made the switch from POP3 to email forwarding, with filters that send everything to a folder that was sent to that email, so I'll give it a few days to see how this works out.

In theory everything should work the exact same as with POP3, and this also seems to me like the superior way and less compromisey way of doing this over POP3's method, so whats the point of POP3 then? I'd rather have email(b) and email(c) just send copies of their emails as emails to email(a) instead of having email(a)(Google) log into my emails(b/c) accounts periodically with my username/password to retrieve emails.

It's clearly superior but many providers don't support it (or have it as a paid feature) because why would they want you to use their e-mail service without you actually going to their site and clicking through their ads?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What did they do to utorrent? :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WastedJoker posted:

You want to be more specific?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

WastedJoker posted:

Use 1.8.2 or 2.2, they both still work perfectly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

I just did a clean install of Windows and downloaded all new/updates apps - including the latest uTorrent.

There's a few steps I took to make it less silly. Uncheck/change the following:

1) Options -> Show Featured Content
2) Options -> Show Devices
3) Options -> Show Plus Information
4) Options -> Show Apps
5) Options -> Preferences -> Advanced,
Search for "sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled",
Set to "false".

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

5) Options -> Preferences -> Advanced,
Search for "sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled",
Set to "false".

Thanks for this so much. No idea why it was driving me so nuts, but it was.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
tl:dr ish question: reinstalled Windows 7. Can I just delete the entire Windows.old folders without messing anything up, once I've moved all the My Documents/etc data that I need into my current folders? I searched and found some pages that said you can clean them via Disk Cleanup but the option didn't appear for me.

edit \/ \/ \/ great, thanks.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jetfire posted:

tl:dr ish question: reinstalled Windows 7. Can I just delete the entire Windows.old folders without messing anything up, once I've moved all the My Documents/etc data that I need into my current folders? I searched and found some pages that said you can clean them via Disk Cleanup but the option didn't appear for me.

Yep, it's a backup folder. If you don't need the stuff, get rid of it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have a stupid question or maybe I'm just an inquisitive idiot but should I install the optional updates for Windows 7 listed in Windows Update or just the important ones? I ask this because I just re-installed Win7 to a shiny new SSD (Samsung 830 256GB) and after just installing the important updates the system does seem to bog down slightly during startup despite being on an SSD. I was going to run disk defag but then I remembered that's a big no-no on an SSD although I did run CCleaner(CrapCleaner) on it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Optional stuff is obviously not desperately necessary, but in general you still want those updates unless the entire internet has exploded about it (and even then make sure it's not over something stupid).

The slowdown was probably doing post-update maintenance or building prefetch/superfetch. See if it doesn't go away after a boot or two. If it doesn't, and it doesn't affect you once you're up and running, well, taking a few seconds longer to boot is a manageable problem.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

WastedJoker posted:

Switch to qBittorrent. uTorrent was deliberately turned into an ad machine. I like how they still have their old slogan "a (very) tiny BitTorrent client" on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Optional stuff is obviously not desperately necessary, but in general you still want those updates unless the entire internet has exploded about it (and even then make sure it's not over something stupid).

The slowdown was probably doing post-update maintenance or building prefetch/superfetch. See if it doesn't go away after a boot or two. If it doesn't, and it doesn't affect you once you're up and running, well, taking a few seconds longer to boot is a manageable problem.

I just checked the idle RAM usage and noticed it was on the low side so out of curiosity I checked to see if superfetch was turned on and it was turned off so I turned it back on and set it to automatically start at startup. Why the hell was it turned off in the first place?