Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Chop parts out of her then pull them out and replace them with newer parts in the company of other men?

I like to cut mine up into large chunks and then put it in front of the house.

People always drive by looking for scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Kill-9 posted:

A '93 Defender 110 NAS. 1 of 500 and worth $60-70K on average. Some really nice examples top six figures. I'd trade all my cars to have one.

What? Why are they so expensive?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Sockington posted:

I like to cut mine up into large chunks and then put it in front of the house.

People always drive by looking for scraps.

A quick bath once a year to rinse off the worst of the salty residue.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Traded in every other year for a new model while having no real commitment to own.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

beedeebee posted:

What? Why are they so expensive?
Rarity.
With the now-legal importation of coilers due to them passing the 25 year age watershed, perhaps US prices will dip a bit, but I'd imagine a genuine NAS model will always be pricey.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Octopus Magic posted:

Traded in every other year for a new model while having no real commitment to own.

I think you're supposed to install a bunch of silly upgrades, including a new "body kit". Then, once you've upgraded her as far as possible, you buy a new project and put the old one up on Craigslist.

Also, you're supposed to have a daily driver that is far more fun than the project car. So she'll end up rotting in the garage, trailered to the bar, and put on display for every redneck to feel up and take tasteless pictures of.

Edit: frankly, I'm amazed she bothered writing a book like this. Modern life is fantastic.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Brings a whole new meaning to "fart can".

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
No one has accused a playmate of being smart.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Pray every day that someone totals her so that you can collect the insurance money.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Operating her drunk is probably a lot of fun, but if you do it enough times you or someone else is going to end up hurt.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BoostCreep posted:

This car has been sitting on the same street for a year and only gets moved once a week for street cleaning. It's one block away from my office and I see it every day. I'm really tempted to leave a note on the window offering to buy it. Not that I need a 5th car, but at least it'll see some use.

FFFF, buy that. One of my favourite 90s japanese cars.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Kill-9 posted:

A '93 Defender 110 NAS. 1 of 500 and worth $60-70K on average. Some really nice examples top six figures. I'd trade all my cars to have one.

Those tires are OEM size. There's an eternal argument over which is better, tall and skinny or fatter tires. Here's a whole paper about the advantages/disadvantages. http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

In Australia, thats a $7500-10K vehicle.... :psyduck:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Think I found the perfect gift for my Secret Santee :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I love talking about/looking at pictures of ones I'll never have while on the internet.

Err, we're still talking about pairs of designer jorts, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I love talking about/looking at pictures of ones I'll never have while on the internet.

Err, we're still talking about pairs of designer jorts, right?

That one works whatever way - cars, girls, or jorts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't see the point in the expedition sized Discovery when you can get a Turbo Unimog (lets say, a u1300L equipped with medic/expidition box) for cheaper and is better in every way.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Ferremit posted:

It feels good for us to be the ones with a cheap used car, for once.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Get'er good and lubed up then ride like there's no tomorrow?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I always want to contribute to this thread, but worry that I'll be repeating content from the past.

Here is my own content though, a few cool/interesting/neat cars from last years Pacific Raceways Vintage Races:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ferremit posted:

Even a brand new one is less than that.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

InitialDave posted:

Rarity.
With the now-legal importation of coilers due to them passing the 25 year age watershed, perhaps US prices will dip a bit, but I'd imagine a genuine NAS model will always be pricey.

I'm thinking the prices will stay high on the real NAS 110 models. I have noticed a softening of the prices on the NAS 90s. That's why I sold my NAS 90 a couple months ago. Get out while the prices were still good. If you're in the market for a 90 why spend $25-30K when you can import a 25 year truck for $10K and use the savings to upgrade it better than an NAS?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dissss posted:

Even a brand new one is less than that.

A brand new landrover is less that $7500? Where?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cakefool posted:

A brand new landrover is less that $7500? Where?

I think he means less than 60-70k.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Stealth Like posted:

I think he means less than 60-70k.

Where?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Earth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A base model 2013 D90 with a hard top lists under 20,000 pounds sterling in the UK. A double cab 130 is under 25k.

These are work vehicles, not Merc G wagons.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Just looked it up and a D110 wagon is 55k brand new in Autralia

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Motronic posted:

A base model 2013 D90 with a hard top lists under 20,000 pounds sterling in the UK. A double cab 130 is under 25k.

These are work vehicles, not Merc G wagons.

Not even available in the US. The newest 110s we have are now 20 years old and sell for more than that. I'd kill for a brand new 110 Double Cab. I got to sit in one in Rio 2 years ago and it's light years different inside than my old '94 was. If the local dealer got them in, especially with a diesel, I'd be down there with cash in hand the same day.

It's my belief that Land Rover in the US wants to be seen as only an upscale brand. If they brought over 'work trucks' they think it'd lessen their branding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Not even available in the US.

Being from the US, I'm quite well aware of that. But that's not the question I was responding to.

Kill-9 posted:

It's my belief that Land Rover in the US wants to be seen as only an upscale brand. If they brought over 'work trucks' they think it'd lessen their branding.

Yes, this has been the Land Rover strategy since the beginning of their entrance to the US market, and is quite a well known fact. It also has a lot to do with import duties, which is why you don't seen many foreign work trucks in the US ("chicken tax").

The question was basically "where in the world is a Defender less than $75k." My answer is: lots of places, most certainly in the UK.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^ the Chicken tax is only on trucks with beds, if it has back seats it doesn't count.

A Ranger Rover Sport starts at $60k in the US, a Discovery/LR4 at $49k. A Land Cruiser 200 is almost $80k to start.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

^^^ the Chicken tax is only on trucks with beds, if it has back seats it doesn't count.

Ford goes through great lengths to bring in Transits as passenger vans (throw away the rear seat belts and seats and weld up the holes where the windows used to be) in order to circumvent the import tax (they build them in Turkey). These do not have beds.

The chicken tax is just as applicable to many Defender specs as it is to Transits.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

Ford goes through great lengths to bring in Transits as passenger vans (throw away the rear seat belts and seats and weld up the holes where the windows used to be) in order to circumvent the import tax (they build them in Turkey). These do not have beds.

The chicken tax is just as applicable to many Defender specs as it is to Transits.

That's a "bed" to me, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm aware that you can buy a pickup version of a Defender, but the chicken tax doesn't affect the majority of then that aren't pickups.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Throatwarbler posted:

A Ranger Rover Sport starts at $60k in the US, a Discovery/LR4 at $49k. A Land Cruiser 200 is almost $80k to start.

Thats seriously not a huge amount less than the AU$ price of a 200 series- Its kinda surprising considering how much of a massive markup aussie cars generally have on em.

the RRS is $110K drive away for the base spec and $188K for top of the line one, the Disco 4 starts at $77K for the TDV6 and jumps to $140K for the V8 range topper.

A Defender 110 station wagon is $55K drive away!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

That's a "bed" to me, but I guess it doesn't matter. I'm aware that you can buy a pickup version of a Defender, but the chicken tax doesn't affect the majority of then that aren't pickups.

OK, so first of all everyone else understands you in the future: a bed is understood to be typically uncovered, like a pickup - and most importantly separate from the passenger compartment. A 2 seat defender with a box on it does not have a bed, but it would be considered a non-passenger van, therefore the chicken tax applies.

Secondly, my point in this is that even if Land Rover wanted to it would be overly complicated and/or expensive to bring in work models of Defenders and Discos, which is why they never did and one more "market force" that caused the only logical market entrance to the US to be "upscale" luxotrucks. This is a company that until recently couldn't justify designing or purchasing a modern motor and resorted to using the same fundamentally unchanged-since-the-60s-plans-bought-from-Buick v8 (until 2004) and still uses warmed over electronics out of Mercs or from Bosch and whatever else is cheap and seems to fit in the basic spot they planned out. They certainly would not have had the investment capital of Ford to gamble that a complicated 3rd party on-shore conversion would ever ship enough units to pay for itself, and the market for cheap to midline passenger SUVs was already well saturated.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 30, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

...and the market for cheap to midline passenger SUVs was already well saturated.

Have we forgotten the Freelander already? :iamafag:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Thats seriously not a huge amount less than the AU$ price of a 200 series- Its kinda surprising considering how much of a massive markup aussie cars generally have on em.

I would assume that the price is evened out from having to switch the steering column and dash as well as change out the headlamps and whatever else they do to switch from RHD to LHD V:shobon:V That is strange though, first thing I noticed when I came here from Australia was that cars were stupid cheap (comparatively)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Have we forgotten the Freelander already? :iamafag:

That was going after the compact SUV market (trying to compete with Honda) and was obviously a HUGE mistake. You're absolutely correct, but I was talking about Defender/Disco/Rangie/Explorer/Tahoe sized SUVs (you know, 1/4 ton to full sized stuff) and probably should have specified that.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I couldn't see Landrover Defenders taking off in the US. Don't get me wrong, I love them but when compared to Jap crew cabs (in the UK) it takes a lot for a Landrover to make sense for private and commercial buyers. I think their position in market place is based largely around reputation and inertia, They are great off road tools but when you take cost, on road comfort and economy and load space into account they aren't so good.

I think in the US they would be dead in the water compared to domestic offerings, outside of enthusiast circles.

Source: Driving in a LR90 TD5 and Ford Ranger (Mazda B-Series) at work, lots of on road and off road driving. Neither is anywhere is the same ball park as a Freeldaner in terms of on/off road performance.

stump fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 30, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Everything was better during the Thatcher years when Britain made real cars.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/avoidable-contact-wont-someone-please-put-land-rover-out-of-my-misery/

quote:

Halfway across the stream, there was a crunch and a GRRRRRRIND and my little Freelander came to a halt, steering wheel frozen in place by a log or a rut or the Kraken or something. Immediately I heard advice from both sides of the water. “Go forward! Harder!”

“No, wait! Backwards!”

“We’ll strap you up, hold on!”

“No time for that! You’ll stall the motor! Just DO SOMETHING!” The water in the passenger compartment was three inches high and rising. I was more than ten miles from the nearest trailhead in any direction and more than two hundred miles from home. The recovery would be long, difficult, and expensive. I chose to briefly slam the transmission into reverse and give the miniature V-6 a brief moment of full-throttle before selecting low gear and driving forward into whatever had stopped me before with twice the momentum I’d had previously. Thankfully, this time the obstacle gave way and moments later I was four-wheel-scrabbling for grip up the streambank. A narrow escape. Who’s stupid enough to take a unibody CUV hardcore off-roading? This guy.

Sadly, that’s just one of my “Rover stories”. I have dozens. Maybe more. For eight years I drove a Land Rover of some type on a daily basis, starting with a five-speed ’97 Discovery SD and ending with an ’03 Discovery 4.6 SE. I even tried out a Freelander (mentioned above) in ’02. It was a bad-rear end little trucklet and could go a lot of places — see previous paragraph — but it was a little small and cramped for long trips to BMX or mountain-biking destinations. After a year, I sold it for half what I’d paid and considered myself lucky to get that much. I mean, it had rock scrapes, water damage, crooked bumpers, you name it. I used it hard. Believe it or not, the Rovers were mostly trouble-free. Emboldened by my positive experiences, My father bought a ’99 Rangie and then let me have it when he got tired of driving it around and dealing with the electrical issues. We got almost ninety thousand miles out of that one. Everything else I sold before the warranty expired. Hey, I’m not that stupid.

When my knees got too bad to cycle competitively, I traded in my last Rover on my first Phaeton and never looked back. What’s the point of having a truck that can get you to any trailhead out there if you’re not going to a trailhead anyway? Well, there was more to it than that. I’d driven the new-for-2003 Range Rover and the Discovery-replacing LR3 and hated them. The LR3 was a bland Lego-brick pig that dwarfed the hundred-inch-wagon Discovery while providing almost no additional usable space. It was massively crass both inside and out. And its sibling? My father’s Range Rover had been a civilized, luxurious vehicle; the ’03 was a whorehouse on wheels, a twisted parody of a Range Rover that never truly existed, a white-leather joke wrapped up in a body that resembled the original Rangie the way Adele resembles Audrey Hepburn. When I saw how much they wanted for the thing I was certain that every last one of them would rot on the showroom floor while the cognoscenti beat the bushes for Callaway 4.6 “P38″ Rovers and the motherlode of replacement suspension airbags it would take to drive them until the coming collapse of civilization and beyond.

Boy, was I wrong. Let’s play that game where we pick images that confirm the point we’re trying to make, shall we? Start with this:

And now…

Range Rovers being driven by welfare cases! And by “welfare cases” I mean Queen Elizabeth and the dependably offensive Prince Philip. By contrast, NBA player Stephen Jackson is a taxpayer who contributes to society and brightens the lives of millions through his talent and his commitment to his community. Where was I? Oh yeah. Regardless of Mr. Jackson’s merits as a human being, that Range Rover of his should be nuked from orbit. Both of them, because he has two identical ones. Nuke them both from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

What happened? Well, in 1992 the Land Rover global product range was like so:

Land Rover Defender – A nice coil-spring off-road truck. Like a Jeep Wrangler, only slightly better at doing everything but not breaking. Available in specifications from beach cruiser to military ambulance across three wheelbases.
Land Rover Discovery – A 100-inch-wheelbase family wagon with stellar off-road capabilities and 3/4 ton load capacity. Once I put no fewer than forty-two Compaq tower computers in my Discovery. Another time I loaded it floor to ceiling, rear gate to back of front seats, with cat litter for a local shelter. Didn’t bother the Disco in the slightest. Tough as nails.
Range Rover – All the capability of the Discovery with more luxury and a 108-inch wheelbase variant for rear passenger comfort.
Very easy to understand, right? The Defender is a working truck. The Discovery is a family truck. The Range Rover is an aristocratic truck. All three were body-on-frame trucks with aluminum panels. Have I repeated TRUCK enough for you? Good. They were trucks.

In the thirty-some years during which the original two generations of the Range Rover were sold, the vehicle acquired quite a bit of social credibility, as did its owners. The prestige that came from owning a Range Rover had to do with the assumption that one owned property, or participated in a lifestyle, which required the Range Rover’s capabilities. The original Range Rovers were not terribly luxurious vehicles. They were terribly capable vehicles. That was the sales pitch. Go anywhere. Do anything. Let the proles squat on the concrete slabs; we’re off to the country estate. There was no reason for that pitch to change. In fact, with the increasingly active lifestyle enjoyed by our overlords in the fabled one percent, one could argue that the market for Land Rovers of all types could only increase.

Instead, the serial custodians of the brand — BMW, Ford, and now Tata — decided to milk the brand for all the “prestige” it could provide while slowly letting the product wander into irrelevance. Let’s look at the lineup now:

The Defender. You can still get this in some markets. Until they drop it. Which will be any day now. And of course the Wrangler with which it competes has been completely revised three times since the Defender was released. Everything the Defender has ever had, the Wrangler has now, plus more.
The LR2. This replaced the Freelander, which was a Honda Civic (I’m not kidding) hacked-up to create a kind of low-cost all-weather wagon. It was cheap and capable enough in bad conditions. The LR2, by contrast, costs forty grand and can’t go everywhere the Freelander could go, because it’s bigger.
The LR4. Lipstick on the decade-old pig known as the LR3. The most charmless station wagon in history. Monstrously sized, hugely thirsty, too big to be useful off-road. It’s simply offensive. I wouldn’t want to be seen in one. Better to drive a Suburban. At least you can put something big in a Burb, like a drumset and two groupies.
The Range Rover Sport. What’s the point of this? It looks like a Range Rover. But underneath it’s an LR4. It’s cheaper than a Range Rover. But it weighs more. And it’s not supposed to go off-road. Because a Range Rover without off-road capabilities is just as useful and desirable as a Porsche truck, no doubt to the same loathsome people.
That’s all just kind of sad to people who love Land Rovers the way I used to, but I’m not willing to call for the death penalty yet, Your Honor. Let’s focus on the real villains. Start with the “Range Rover Evoque”. It’s a RAV4 for people who could afford two RAV4s but for some reason only want to have one. What possible reason in the world could one have to buy this thing, other than to try to convince one’s neighbors that one can afford a Range Rover? It looks like it’s been squashed. Whatever giant creature tried to squash it should come back and finish the job. It’s not a Range Rover. I know it, you know it, your daughter’s friends know it. You’re embarrassing yourself. Nobody is fooled by this. It’s the perfect “Range Rover” for people who wear imitation Rolexes and Photoshop their LinkedIn profile pictures to remove their moles. And I know you call it the “Range Rover” when you’re referring to it at parties. Because “front-wheel-drive mommy-wagon with a thyroid condition” just doesn’t pack the same punch. “Oh, we were driving the Range Rover the other day…” No you weren’t. Stephen Jackson was driving the Range Rover the other day. You were driving a CX-5 as reimagined by a PCP addict with two crayons, a Burger King wrapper, and access to a recent issue of “The DuPont Registry”.

What’s worse than a fake Range Rover? The All New Real Range Rover. It’s advertised on Land Rover’s own website like so:

Putting that photo up where PEOPLE CAN SEE IT is approximately as stupid as me posing topless with “Marky Mark” Wahlberg and making sure every single mother in America between the ages of 22 and 35 gets a copy of the photo in her mailbox tomorrow. I would think most people in 2012 would say, “Hey, can I get the smaller vehicle with more ground clearance and more tasteful styling? How much more does that one cost?” I have a better idea for the ad:

No, wait. Looking at that photo just makes me want to buy another Flex, which can be had with all the same stuff a Range Rover has, plus a twin-turbo engine, for $40,000 less. Maybe a Flex isn’t any good off-road, whereas the Range Rover has had all sorts of wonderful press trips in remote and exotic locations where a group of trained experts who could get a Gallardo through the Rubicon Trail talk journalists through carefully stage-managed experiences, but does it really matter any more? Who’s going to take that piggy, ribbed-for-nobody’s-pleasure Range Roaster off-road? Who’s going to put muddy boots inside it? Who’s going to put it four feet deep in a Pennsylvania creek for laughs?

The current Land Rover range has no relevance whatsoever. The brand has no relevance whatsoever. Any prestige or pride in ownership one might possibly feel from owning a Rover is surely mitigated by the Tata ownership and the never-ending parade of douchebags “flossing” them on MTV and double-parking them outside Whole Foods. The outlandish size, weight, and consumption of the entire range, pun intended, is an affront to any notion of sustainable co-existence with the wild outdoors on which the brand built its tarnished image. Inside and out, the vehicles are gross parodies of their ancestors and not worth considering for a moment by anyone with a smidgen or taste or decency. Time to close the doors, sell the remaining stock to the Chinese, and slink away quietly.

The saddest part of all this? The market for the original Rovers — the genuine article — still exists, you know. One of my dearest friends works as an attorney in a rural area, making good money and restoring a beautiful century-old home. She likes to visit her family back home in Iowa and drive the unpaved roads there. We are planning on hiking up Mount Elbert in the summer, and in order to start from the highest trailhead you need something with four-wheel-drive and nontrivial ground clearance. For that and a variety of other reasons, she decided to buy herself a new truck. She wanted a rugged, all-purpose vehicle that would allow her to go anywhere. She wanted to keep it for a long time. She wasn’t terribly concerned about what it cost, although she’s a Midwesterner at heart so she appreciates value.

The vehicle she chose does everything a Land Rover should be able to do, and more. It wasn’t cheap, but it’s worth the money. And we saw other people driving them. People of all types. She waves at them. She loves “Serenity”, her new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara six-speed manual, the way I loved my Land Rovers. During a recent weekend, we gleefully drove it up and down steep grass hills and even down a small set of stairs at an abandoned office park. “It seems like this Jeep can go anywhere!” she exclaimed.

“Sure, but let’s keep it out of deep water, okay?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Posted on another forum. Unsure if correct thread. :ohdear: Anyone know WTF this is? Or how you'd actually get inside?

e: allegedly sounded like it had a V8 in there somewhere

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 30, 2012