Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
Is Old Queen Cole really Deaner on vocals? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

me your dad posted:

I just hope his new group leans more toward Ween, and less toward Moistboyz. It'll be sweet seeing that lineup live.

I'd be surprised if he'll tour with that full lineup, I'm guessing it'll just be Ween minus Gene

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

He also sang a tune that I don't think was ever recorded for a record called Leave Deaner Alone. It was only played live (I think) and it is exactly what the title sounds like: Deaner telling his annoying fans to leave him the gently caress alone.

If you really gotta know what the gently caress I think
Well I think that you suck, now let me finish my drink
Well I listened to your demo - I read through your kit
And I don't mind tellin' you ya sound like poo poo!

Leave Deaner alone! (Deaner! Deaner!)
I'm gonna go home...
Leave Deaner alone!

You got twenty fuckin' seconds to get outta my face
'Cause you suck the fuckin' energy right out of the place
You're a cheap made gently caress and a pain in my rear end
And you never stop talkin' 'cause you got no class!

I'm gonna go home...
Leave Deaner alone!

You're like a little fuckin' puppy dog for me to abuse
Askin' me what strings do I like to use!
I use nickel-wound doodie when I wanna rock
And I buy 'em from your mother when she's suckin' my cock!

I'm gonna go home...

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Video of song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHAL6EG5kBM

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I like that he's credited with singing The HIV Song.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 15, 2012

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

Well it's kind of both, at least live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IgetTnua0

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Well it's kind of both, at least live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IgetTnua0

I love this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu-0kp6w9I

Two man Ween was awesome.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Haha ballin'

What's lame is that not long ago, I was wondering what kind of cars these dudes drive. I pictured Deaner as more of a mid-90's Honda Civic kind of guy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mickeys friends with John Popper :stare:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Geaner's comments make me sad.

Particularly the way he talks about 'The Ween Organisation' and how he refers to Deaner as his 'Business Partner'. He makes it all sound so impersonal and meaningless, like Ween had become some lovely going-through-the-motions day job rather than something that was special and meaningful to him.

I still can't believe they have split up. They were one of those bands that you just assumed would be around forever. And to split it up without even discussing it with the only other band member, and doing it through the medium of Rolling loving Stone of all things, while promoting your new tepid as piss album of boring, middle of the road, sentimental cover songs just makes it all the worse.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Leyburn posted:

I still can't believe they have split up. They were one of those bands that you just assumed would be around forever. And to split it up without even discussing it with the only other band member, and doing it through the medium of Rolling loving Stone of all things, while promoting your new tepid as piss album of boring, middle of the road, sentimental cover songs just makes it all the worse.

Jeez. That was sad to read. :(

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
If anyone listens to Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, Gene is on the most recent podcast, but he pretty much just talks about some Bob Marley song the whole time. Basically it's not worth listening to and I don't even know why it was included on the show.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mickey thinks the house that they wrote the Mollusk in got knocked down in the hurricaine :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/11/weens_pure_guava_turns_twenty.php

Happy birthday Push Th Lil' Daisies :unsmith:

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Happy birthday! :)

Now's a good as time as any to familiarise myself with Pure Guava. Ashamedly, I don't think I've ever listened to it in its entirety.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Convexed posted:

Happy birthday! :)

Now's a good as time as any to familiarise myself with Pure Guava. Ashamedly, I don't think I've ever listened to it in its entirety.

Compared to Ween's other albums as a duo (which are still two of my absolute faves), I don't care for Pure Guava all that much. They kind of edged over into being a bit too druggy and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird, so listening to it all at once is kind of tiresome. It still has a bunch of great songs on it, though, and admittedly I haven't listened to it in years, so I guess today's as good a reason to break it out and refamiliarize myself with it as any.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Pure Guava is probably my least favorite Ween album. It's cool that it put them in the spotlight, but it's the only one of their albums that's hard for me to listen to from start to finish. I always thought the 2nd half of it was kind of a mess, especially. And boy do I hate the album version of "Touch My Tooter."

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

TheNintenGenius posted:

Compared to Ween's other albums as a duo (which are still two of my absolute faves), I don't care for Pure Guava all that much. They kind of edged over into being a bit too druggy and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird, so listening to it all at once is kind of tiresome. It still has a bunch of great songs on it, though, and admittedly I haven't listened to it in years, so I guess today's as good a reason to break it out and refamiliarize myself with it as any.

Druggy? Weird? I'd say The Pod takes that cake.

Pure Guava has some of the bands best tracks and long-standing classics in my opinion - Little Birdy, Stallion Part 3, Poop Ship, Big Jilm, Springtheme, Pumpin for the Man, and Touch My Tooter. Even Mourning Glory is fun every once in a while.

It's got a few weak tracks - Flies On My Dick is one of my least favorite Ween songs. Hey Fat Boy (rear end in a top hat) is also pretty stupid. I used to like ReggaeJunkieJew but it's lost favor for some reason.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Hey Fat Boy (rear end in a top hat) owns.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
How in the hell was Pure Guava even released as a major label debut? What the gently caress was going on in the early 90s.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines

Leyburn posted:

How in the hell was Pure Guava even released as a major label debut? What the gently caress was going on in the early 90s.

Elektra was a well-run label in the late 80's and early-to-mid 90's with A&R representatives like Susan Drew who took a chance on independent artists like Pixies, They Might Be Giants, Ween, etc.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Funny thing is they got a $200,000 advance to make Pure Guava. When you're on a major label, you get the advance to use as your album budget, and then you get to keep whatever is left over.

Pure Guava cost maybe a total of $42 to make.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

weirdojace posted:

It's actually a lot more if you count the drugs they needed to write and record it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm surprised the major label allowed them to release it with that sound quality. I mean it gives it alot of feeling and makes it what it is, but atleast Push Th Little Daisies sounds like it was recorded in a studio while the others are...not.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

weirdojace posted:

Funny thing is they got a $200,000 advance to make Pure Guava. When you're on a major label, you get the advance to use as your album budget, and then you get to keep whatever is left over.

They actually recorded the album before they got the advance. They talk about it here on track 2

http://archive.org/details/Ween1993-00-00.BraveNewWaves

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2012

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I love the little pre-chorus slides in Springtheme, they're so suggestive.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Just posting to say I'm listening to Shinola for the first time and it's goddamn incredible. The fact that I haven't heard Gabrielle until right now is just so wrong (but better late than never).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

nasboat posted:

Just posting to say I'm listening to Shinola for the first time and it's goddamn incredible. The fact that I haven't heard Gabrielle until right now is just so wrong (but better late than never).
Gabrielle is one of my favourite cuts off that album. I need to find my CD so I can use it on a mix. :(

Israel's great, too.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Shinola is actually my 3rd favorite Ween album, right behind The Mollusk and Quebec. Even though it's a rarities comp, it's just as good as any proper album of theirs. Gabrielle is definitely the best song on there.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I liked it but it didn't flow as well as the others (for obvious reasons). There are some top notch tracks on there but all the other albums had some sort of unifying vibe to them. I think Gabrielle was from around '89 and Boys Club was from about '97, I'm pretty sure Tastes Good On Th' Bun was from the Pod sessions or thereabouts and Someday started being played live from about 2002 I think. Another 3 are from Craters Of The Sac so there's some continuity there. Not sure about the others but to me it didn't flow well as an album. All their other albums have a feeling to them that lasts the duration so if I'm going to listen to something from start to end I'll avoid Shinola, but if I put my collection on shuffle and am looking to be surprised then I'm always happy to hear some of the Shinola tracks pop up.

Out of all of their work over their career though I think Gabrielle is the most radio-friendly. It did really well in Australia and helped convert a lot of people who thought they were bullshit, so I'm glad it saw the light of day. It warms my heart when someone asks me who I listen to and I mention Ween and they not only don't break into Daisies but can have a conversation about the band. In fact I'd say the band's commercial resurgence after Shinola was released was what got them to play here for the first time in 10 years. I missed the show, naturally. One of my many regrets in life.

I could bang on about Ween for hours. Man I love those guys, even with all the poo poo of the last year. They're one of the few bands I've gone out of my way to own every CD of, including all the ones through the website (Toronto, Stubbs, All Request etc), I've owned at least 7 or 8 shirts/hoodies of theirs over the years, and I held off quitting smoking for a while when I saw they had a Boognish zippo for sale. My teeth currently look like a corncob that got fished out of a bin, but hey, Ween lighter.

edit: actually what year WAS gabrielle from? i have a feeling it may have even been a c&c demo but i'm not at my pc to check.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 29, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Deaner on his current life stage, from askdeaner.com when asked about burning out vs. fading away:

Deaner posted:

I’m more comfortable in front of an amplifier and a crowd of people than I am trying to make small talk on back to school night with a bunch of white devil honkies under florescent lights in an institutional building. You can have it both ways I hope and pray. I’m still working through the process, but I feel the most like myself when my dick is hanging out and I’m playing my guitar well, like a mass murderer. It’s a hosed up life being a musician, and I don’t even relate to most of the musicians I know. So gently caress me.

:allears:

loving Ween. I just turned a coworker onto the band - the first time I've got someone into them since the Pure Guava days. I gave him two CDs filled with all sorts of songs from God Ween Satan era, up to Cucaracha - most from various live sets but a few studio versions when done better.

P.S. The Argus is the best Ween song.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

weirdojace posted:

Shinola is actually my 3rd favorite Ween album, right behind The Mollusk and Quebec. Even though it's a rarities comp, it's just as good as any proper album of theirs. Gabrielle is definitely the best song on there.

Quebec is a really good album. I don't know why maybe it's just put together well but I like it a lot.

La Cucaracha is my least favorite and then 12 Golden Country Greats.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Quebec is a really good album. I don't know why maybe it's just put together well but I like it a lot.

La Cucaracha is my least favorite and then 12 Golden Country Greats.

Golden Country is one of the best things.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I think the tour with the poo poo Creek Boys represents some of the finest live shows the band has produced. Without the country album we wouldn't have that, so there.

There's a Country Tour Sampler with a version of Big Jilm that's loving amazing.

*dink* *dink dink* *dink dink dink dink dink* *GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym GHruym* BIG JILM

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Quebec is their most emotional album and it's essentially Gene Ween spilling his guts about his substance abuse and unstable relationship and eventual divorce. There isn't anything really "funny" about it like a lot of their albums, and it goes a pretty good job of delving progressively further down Gene's drugged out and depressed mental state, keeping you on edge, until the album just bursts out in tears at the end. "It's Gonna Be a Long Night" being the first song on the album really makes a lot of sense, too. They were in a very dark place in their lives when they were making that album, and it turned out to be one of their most beautiful and honest records.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
It was a little jarring to find out that a lot people didn't like Quebec. When I first got it I thought it was obvious that it was either their best or 2nd best. The "brown" material isn't so hot but otherwise every cut is top notch.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I agree with weirdojace, it really had a Gener song vibe to it, with all the reflective tracks that are as pretty as they are bitter and overall with less goofiness than the other albums. It's a shame he didn't put a fraction of the love or effort into his solo album, but after the poo poo he's dealt with (mainly substance problems I guess) and quebec being the most draining album for them it's not hard to see why he'd avoid that kind of thing for a while and do something less taxing on his wellbeing.

Speaking of solo albums, I'm really looking forward to Deaner's upcoming one. He's been as open about it as he's been secretive, but I'm pretty sure from what he's described on his page so far that it'll melt my skeleton. The man's as talented and inspirational on guitar as gigolos are on saxophones. I'm not being blindly optimistic, he's doing what he does best and I can't think of a single lovely Deaner solo off the top of my head so yeah, I'm more than happy to play the waiting game as much as I want to hear it right this second.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

me your dad posted:

P.S. The Argus is the best Ween song.
Thank you.

If "The Argus" ever shows up on a playlist shuffle at work, it's guaranteed a customer turns and goes "What is THIS?" in utter delight.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You know I love ween, don't really care for Lil Wayne much but this cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sscnSexHeVk

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I love The Argus. That subtle vocal effect during the chorus slays me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Excavation posted:

Speaking of solo albums, I'm really looking forward to Deaner's upcoming one. He's been as open about it as he's been secretive, but I'm pretty sure from what he's described on his page so far that it'll melt my skeleton. The man's as talented and inspirational on guitar as gigolos are on saxophones. I'm not being blindly optimistic, he's doing what he does best and I can't think of a single lovely Deaner solo off the top of my head so yeah, I'm more than happy to play the waiting game as much as I want to hear it right this second.

I'm looking forward to Deaner's solo album as well, but I hope it isn't too Moistboyz-ish. I was never able to get into that stuff... I'm kinda hoping his solo material rides the line of being at least a bit Ween-like.

But either way I'm 99% sure I'll like it more than Marvelous Clouds... please Aaron, make an album where you actually wrote the material.

JAMOOOL posted:

It was a little jarring to find out that a lot people didn't like Quebec. When I first got it I thought it was obvious that it was either their best or 2nd best. The "brown" material isn't so hot but otherwise every cut is top notch.

In my experience, most fans generally like it. I haven't seen much negativity towards Quebec. La Cucaracha is the album that gets a lot of flack.

weirdojace fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 30, 2012