Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the comments they mentioned it was recorded 14 months ago.
What would cause the wait?

The most impossible scheduling of 6 people ever known to podcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

jeffullrich posted:

The most impossible scheduling of 6 people ever known to podcasting.

Why did it not go out over Earwolf Presents?

And welcome to the forums.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012
I'm new and screwed up by posting this in a new thread. It's about FOD's first podcast coming out tomorrow...

It's being launched exclusively by The AV Club at 8am CST and we'll put it out at noon CST. Here is the info in advance.

Show Description:

Owen & TJ Read the News

Every month Owen Burke (Funny or Die) and TJ (Adam McKay) read the news and get into the culture of Jacksonville, a.k.a J-Ville. Aight?

Episode 1:

No Homo

Welcome to the first episode of Owen & TJ Read The News! Every month Owen Burke (Funny or Die) and TJ (Adam McKay) read the news and get into the culture of Jacksonville, a.k.a J-Ville. On their first episode they discuss the looming fiscal cliff, Papa John’s raising their prices due to Obamacare, and the Hostess bankruptcy.

I've listened 3 times already and it's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. It won't be for everyone, though. I'm really excited.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Christ.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lemmi Caution posted:

Why did it not go out over Earwolf Presents?

And welcome to the forums.

We found that our strategy of debuting a new show on EP was hurting the new shows; people weren't as likely to subscribe to the real feed the second week. Now we launch with the show feed first and then put out the first ep after the fact on EP for those who didn't hear about it and like the potluck nature of that feed. Then, if they like it, they can go subscribe immediately to the show feed.

And thanks for the kind welcome, this is a scary place for a new guy.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Whoa! Hi Jeff Ulrich. We like your network.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
So, is this where I can say I really want more episodes of Mike Detective?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Best of improv4humans Vol. 2 is out. Genuinely looking forward to listening to this on the way back from work.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Whoa! Hi Jeff Ulrich. We like your network.

Thank you! I hope I'm welcome here. I've seen a lot of people commenting and thought I should join and listen to what's being shared here.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

Thank you! I hope I'm welcome here. I've seen a lot of people commenting and thought I should join and listen to what's being shared here.

Don't forget about the Comedy Bang Bang! thread -- this one spun off of that one.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Glad to have your perspective! It's hard to quantify how getting into podcasts through CDR/CBB re-awoke my love of standup and has lead me to travel far and wide to see live comedy.

Earwolf shows are a big part of that, as are the other networks that popped up - before the podcast rush, it was super-hard to know who to see when you're a fan who lives on the outer reaches of comedian tours.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Yo when can I get some new episodes of Cyber Thug Radio, boss man?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hey Jeff! Love, Dad is one of my favorite new podcasts despite me not being a dad or anywhere close to one (though I think that's part of why you guys made the show). Are you allowed to say what Koechner is filming that's keeping him away from the podcast?

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

burmart posted:

So, is this where I can say I really want more episodes of Mike Detective?

No one wants a second season more than I do. And Scott and Neil want to do it too. It's just been the same old story of not enough time. My prediction - it will be a long time before there is anything new but I do think it will happen.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I got around to listening to the newest "How Did This Get Made?" and having already seen the Half in the Bag review for Breaking Dawn 2 I had an idea what they were going to talk about, but it was still pretty hilarious.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
As a person who doesn't know anything about D & D, Nerd Poker seemed really rough to me. I'm going to give it more time, but the humor was not very good and I don't really care about the elfs and wizards. Were you guys who "get" Dungeons and Dragons way more in to it?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Greggy posted:

As a person who doesn't know anything about D & D, Nerd Poker seemed really rough to me. I'm going to give it more time, but the humor was not very good and I don't really care about the elfs and wizards. Were you guys who "get" Dungeons and Dragons way more in to it?

I played a little bit as a youngster. I was more into the paraphernalia of it -- the books, the modules, the dice, the figures -- than the actual gaming, which I didn't have the patience for.

So from the perspective of a former casual D&Der (and a former EverQuest addict, which is a similar thing), I found the show mildly entertaining, enough to subscribe and see where it goes. It may end up being a "not for me" show, but I'm willing to give it a chance for a while.

As a sidenote, my workplace security software blocks the Nerd Poker page at Earwolf because it thinks it's a gambling website. :ughh:

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKULE123 posted:

Glad to have your perspective! It's hard to quantify how getting into podcasts through CDR/CBB re-awoke my love of standup and has lead me to travel far and wide to see live comedy.

Earwolf shows are a big part of that, as are the other networks that popped up - before the podcast rush, it was super-hard to know who to see when you're a fan who lives on the outer reaches of comedian tours.

Thanks for the kind words, it's great to know things have opened up for you with comedy. I think that's one of the best parts - the broader access to content - that people in LA and NYC don't really think about.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lord Wexia posted:

Yo when can I get some new episodes of Cyber Thug Radio, boss man?

I think that ship has sailed. We enjoyed doing the special 3rd ep with them early this year, and they enjoyed doing it, but Jerry is really busy with other projects these days. Sorry.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hey Jeff! Love, Dad is one of my favorite new podcasts despite me not being a dad or anywhere close to one (though I think that's part of why you guys made the show). Are you allowed to say what Koechner is filming that's keeping him away from the podcast?

Thanks! To be honest, I can't keep up with Dave and have no idea where he is. But I do know he'll be shooting Anchorman 2 in late February/early March for 3 months! I'm concerned about the future of the show.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Greggy posted:

I haven't done a lot of role playing but I dug it, campaigns usually start kind of slow but they get more interesting as the story progresses. I think it'll get better, once the characters are more fleshed out and people get comfortable playing while being recorded.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Max22 posted:

Don't forget about the Comedy Bang Bang! thread -- this one spun off of that one.

So I have an honest question for whoever wants to chime in...I signed up for an account because there seem to be passionate Earwolf listeners here and I thought I could contribute. But...I don't really understand the culture and don't want to be where I don't belong. I also don't want to show up and take over the whole thing. But I don't want to ignore questions I could answer. So, the question is, am I useful to this thread or should I go away and stick to our own forums and leave this for you guys? Thanks for the help.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

jeffullrich posted:

So I have an honest question for whoever wants to chime in...I signed up for an account because there seem to be passionate Earwolf listeners here and I thought I could contribute. But...I don't really understand the culture and don't want to be where I don't belong. I also don't want to show up and take over the whole thing. But I don't want to ignore questions I could answer. So, the question is, am I useful to this thread or should I go away and stick to our own forums and leave this for you guys? Thanks for the help.

Nobody takes anything too seriously, feel free to relax. Show up, answer questions, comment, tell people to gently caress themselves; it's all good.

Just don't go to "FYAD". Trust me.

Or "ADTRW".

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Never go to FYAD. SA is a brash, mostly uncensored mixed bag. Don't take any criticism too seriously. For someone that is friends with the talent, it may be rough to read at times, but it will be a good source of honest reactions to shows.

This subforum is pretty calm and reasonable, but you WILL be trolled at some point.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

indigi thinks you're literally the devil come from the fiery pits of hell to enslave poor comedians (and non-comedians now I guess) and force them to work in the level of hell dedicated to podcastery (which for some reason was left out of The Divine Comedy), but other than that and what the other guys said I think you're fine.

There were a lot more people who were perhaps unfairly critical of the show early on in the CBB thread's lifespan but I think most of those people figured out the show wasn't for them or don't feel like posting in the thread anymore. Now it's pretty positive of the show. Not that there isn't criticism or the occasional episode we dislike it's just mostly - I think anyway - fair criticism. What I'm saying is will Scott sign my manboobs.

ADTRW under Zorak's iron fist is a pretty nice place free of those people. He's done a really good job. If you don't like anime it's moot, but still.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Man, I binged on some How Did This Get Made episodes that I was behind on, and I loving love that podcast. I wish that it was more than every other week (not counting the mini-episodes) :allears:

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There were a lot more people who were perhaps unfairly critical of the show early on in the CBB thread's lifespan but I think most of those people figured out the show wasn't for them or don't feel like posting in the thread anymore. Now it's pretty positive of the show. Not that there isn't criticism or the occasional episode we dislike it's just mostly - I think anyway - fair criticism.

Yeah this is true. I've only recently started checking out these podcast threads and in the early pages of the CBB thread there's a lot of 'it was ok until some guy showed up doing a silly character' comments. As Conduit for Sale said, those people were weeded out as they realised the show just wasn't for them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

abraham linksys posted:

Man, I binged on some How Did This Get Made episodes that I was behind on, and I loving love that podcast. I wish that it was more than every other week (not counting the mini-episodes) :allears:

Oh, I hope you used Google to do that Binging. They're our sponsor, you know.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The first episode of Nerd Poker definitely felt a little rough, but I wrote it off as newness. Trying to be entertaining to an audience while playing D&D is probably not something these guys have done for a while.

I've been waiting for this podcast forever so I'll keep listening.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't know anyone who plays D&D, don't want to answer some craigslist post for D&D games, and am scared of Trad Games, so Nerd Poker is the closest I can get to actually playing. Plus it's being played by funny people, and normally tabletop players are among the most humorless (quoting Monty Python doesn't count as humor, sorry guys) people in the world. So that's good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Having played a few times I can say that character creation is the most tiresome and needlessly long part, so with that done it'll probably pick up in later episodes.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Hey Jeff get Satellite High on Shots Fired

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Having played a few times I can say that character creation is the most tiresome and needlessly long part, so with that done it'll probably pick up in later episodes.

Character creation is my favorite part of D&D/tabletop games :ohdear:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
They skipped that part anyway. I thought the players were pretty funny, but the introductory adventure part was sort of boring.

edit: I appreciated the Mike Detective and Cyberthug answers! Thank you.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2012

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Is Seth Morris going to come back as Bob Ducca, either on CBB or his podcast? Or is he too busy with other things?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Am I to believe that on any given week I am just $100 away from Kulap saying my name at the end of Who Charted

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

jeffullrich posted:

Nah, you'll be fine here. I think it's safe to say we all appreciate the answers you've been giving us. Sometimes our threads go on for a few pages because we're randomly speculating about hosts/guests/ect. It can occasionally bog down the conversation, so any info that'll clear up our questions is more than welcome.

And welcome to the forums :)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Exactly. This is a safe space.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

jyrka posted:

Exactly. This is a safe space.
This is true. Feel free to #soundoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Hello Jeff, thanks for getting all this amazing comedy to us and keeping it free (however that has to happen)!

I've been digging Startup School, and if you want to talk to Something Awful Goons about entrepreneurship then check out our thread in the "Business, Finance, and Careers" subforum:
"Hey guys, let's found a startup thread!" by snagger
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438506

Would also like to throw in a vote for more Bob Ducca and Mike Detective, but patience is probably the name of the game there.