Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

Nope. Me too. My entire fashion repertoire consists of cheap T shirts, khaki / drab / camo cargo shorts / trousers and steel cap boots. I know nothing of this "fashion" they speak of. Now I think of it, I don't actually even own any shoes.

No jorts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Never change, Jeremy Scott.

I would wear the poo poo out of these.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sticking with the theme here, sorry for the drive by.

Now this one makes me angry, not necessarily because it's donked, but because they actual cut up sheet metal on a classic muscle car to get those stupid rims in there. Yeah, I know the wheel arch sections behind the front and rear wheels can probably be replaced with patch panels, but God, it's so STUPID.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

General_Failure posted:

Nope. Me too. My entire fashion repertoire consists of cheap T shirts, khaki / drab / camo cargo shorts / trousers and steel cap boots. I know nothing of this "fashion" they speak of. Now I think of it, I don't actually even own any shoes.

same, except add a comically "distressed" bikers jacket I need to pawn off on a hipster ASAP and jeans that are trying to turn themselves into jorts.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Legend indeed, I see it every morning on Baseline. A shame to it for sale and I might not see it anymore. :(

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I posted it earlier in the thread and I've seen it driving around here for years. It's for sale now?

Yes it is for sale. My company had the penthouse rented out at the Holiday Inn @ country club & 60 for about 3 weeks. If you want to go take a look at it just drive on down and I'm sure it will be in the parking lot waiting for the guy to return from work. Additionally, you would think the guy driving it was some young gun. No, he looked as if he was in his mid-late 30's.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Rhyno posted:

I would wear the poo poo out of these.

If you can find them, they're gonna run you about $250.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not exactly a Mechanical Failure, not exactly a Cycle Picture. Not all that exciting, but pretty weird, a pretty bad idea, and I'd never seen it before.

Homemade motorcycle tire retread. At least that's what I think it is. The carcass of the tire was thin as hell, more pliable than a Pilot Power.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not exactly a Mechanical Failure, not exactly a Cycle Picture. Not all that exciting, but pretty weird, a pretty bad idea, and I'd never seen it before.

Homemade motorcycle tire retread. At least that's what I think it is. The carcass of the tire was thin as hell, more pliable than a Pilot Power.

Looks like a home-brew regrooving rather than a retreading. You'd need to be absolutely barking mad to think it was a good idea, if it is.

Was it a grieving widow dropping the bike off?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If you can find them, they're gonna run you about $250.

It's not a big deal. I have wings tattooed on my ankles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do you think maybe they're race takeoffs that he carved treads into to make them less insane in the wet?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I've actually seen morons do this before. More than once. It's a sad, sad thing.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

I don't get how this happens.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Manny posted:

Being in a rush and distracted. New driver, old driver. I'm not saying it's excusable, just that I can see how it happens.

The one time I did in my life it was 0 degrees out with a loving whipping wind and I didn't have gloves on because I dropped them in my garage. I just wanted back in the car so bad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/3410477619.html

It's like inbred redneck bingo. Highlights:
ford taurus "4x4 conversion"
"3/4 ton runnin gear"

I really want to see how they made the steering shaft. It probably involves half the chevy truck steering shaft, half the taurus steering shaft, a big chunk of rebar, and a stick welder :frogsiren:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Manny posted:

Remove fuel handle. Get in car. Drive off. Window causes door to shut.

At least he has one of those convenient idiot lanyards so he doesn't have to buy a new gas cap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

front wing flexing posted:

The one time I did in my life it was 0 degrees out with a loving whipping wind and I didn't have gloves on because I dropped them in my garage. I just wanted back in the car so bad.

The first time I filled up my 02 Focus (something like 50 miles on the clock) it was in the low 20s, before the wind chill (and holy poo poo there was wind). The plastic was so brittle I broke the latch for the fuel door when I closed it. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sterster posted:

Yes it is for sale. My company had the penthouse rented out at the Holiday Inn @ country club & 60 for about 3 weeks. If you want to go take a look at it just drive on down and I'm sure it will be in the parking lot waiting for the guy to return from work. Additionally, you would think the guy driving it was some young gun. No, he looked as if he was in his mid-late 30's.

Amazingly it doesn't seem to be on Craigslist. I really want to find this guy's for sale posting just to see what the hell is going on in his head; you're right, he's definitely old enough that it's not some dumb kid's project, but I honestly can't tell if he's serious or just really dedicated to trolling the East Valley.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The first time I filled up my 02 Focus (something like 50 miles on the clock) it was in the low 20s, before the wind chill (and holy poo poo there was wind). The plastic was so brittle I broke the latch for the fuel door when I closed it. :(

I filled up this morning in 3'F with a pretty burly wind in a light fleece jacket and no gloves and nothing shattered. That was probably on its way out already.

A few years ago it was -30'C/-22'F before windchill and I watched a late-model Camry snap its own power mirror off trying to adjust it (probably with built-up ice inside the mechanism). Plastic strain is weird!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 29, 2012

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That was probably on its way out already.
Perhaps you missed the part about it being a brand new car?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kastein posted:

http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/3410477619.html

It's like inbred redneck bingo. Highlights:
ford taurus "4x4 conversion"
"3/4 ton runnin gear"

I really want to see how they made the steering shaft. It probably involves half the chevy truck steering shaft, half the taurus steering shaft, a big chunk of rebar, and a stick welder :frogsiren:

Or where they were going to mount the shifter, being a column shifter...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Rocket Salad posted:

Perhaps you missed the part about it being a brand new car?
Even brand new cars can have freak casting/moulding flaws in parts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2012

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Semantics.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
All I know is you guys get cold easy. I work outside, even if it's -20.

Once you go numb it's not so bad.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Bah, I have pretty much given up working on the bug cause it's been in the low 50s. It doesn't help that it's already loving dark by 4:30 when I get home either.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even brand new cars can have freak casting/moulding flaws in parts.

Especially Fords

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

VikingSkull posted:

All I know is you guys get cold easy. I work outside, even if it's -20.

Once you go numb it's not so bad.

Cold sucks! I'd rather wrench in 100 degree than 40 degree if I have to choose.

Below 50 or over 80 and I'm staying inside unless what needs to be done can't possibly wait until the weather is better. I have more than one car for a reason. "poo poo, that one's broke? Drive a different one!"

Note: Rule doesn't apply if none of the cars are running(happened often when the stable was 3 Land Rovers. :britain: ) And then you fix the car that's easiest to get back on the road. :)

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

veedubfreak posted:

Bah, I have pretty much given up working on the bug cause it's been in the low 50s. It doesn't help that it's already loving dark by 4:30 when I get home either.

I love this time of year; being in Texas the average summer temperature is well over 99F and muggy as hell, I dance with glee if I'm in my garage working in <60F once winter rolls around. All I need is 2 pairs of old scrubs from work and I'm perfectly content wrenching well into the night. Different strokes I guess. :)

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Back in Montreal, I once got hypothermia looking for my car in the middle of a blizzard early in the morning. The parking authority had moved it for plowing. True story.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Also, Canada is cold, news at 11.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I work at an auction, the worst thing ever is a blizzard on sale day. We've never missed a sale in the 14 years I've worked there. Cleaning 3 feet of snow off of 5,000 cars really sucks.

True story: When the retro Ford Thunderbird first came out, we had one running in the Ford factory sale with under 50 miles on it. The plows had come through the lanes early in the morning, so there was a three foot high snow bank in front of all the cars. My boss told me to get the Thunderbird out and bring it to the building to run in its lane, so I tried to get it out. No way in hell, it's stuck. Bad. So I hop out, say "this thing isn't moving". Boss says, "I don't care what you have to do, get it unstuck".

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ok then. Rev it up, neutral bang it in drive. Time the rock, bang it in reverse. Wheels spinning, smoke and snow going everywhere. It literally took a half hour of this, eventually with some guys pushing it.

When it rolled through the sale lane it was puking coolant, had a really bad knock, a slipping trans, and two bald tires.

Best day at work ever.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

The Rocket Salad posted:

Greetings from Greater Chicagoland, Illinois:

From February of 2011, this storm dropped 22" total.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The b-pillar didn't even make it in the spot.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Kotaru posted:

I love this time of year; being in Texas the average summer temperature is well over 99F and muggy as hell, I dance with glee if I'm in my garage working in <60F once winter rolls around. All I need is 2 pairs of old scrubs from work and I'm perfectly content wrenching well into the night. Different strokes I guess. :)

A-loving-men. I'll slap on some gloves (I wear them anyway when working on my Jeep) and wrench all day in the cold (as experienced by South Texas, 60F).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm still wearing a t shirt and shorts when it's 60 :iiam:

e- and I drive a 2wd truck with a locked 3.92 in these conditions:

anyone got a shovel?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 30, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

A-loving-men. I'll slap on some gloves (I wear them anyway when working on my Jeep) and wrench all day in the cold (as experienced by South Texas, 60F).

Texas cold sounds like English summer.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Root Bear posted:

Greetings from Greater Chicagoland, Illinois:

From February of 2011, this storm dropped 22" total.

Hello fellow Illinoisan.

(there's two trucks there, I swear)

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Linedance posted:

Texas cold sounds like English summer.

I'm a transplant, non-native. People shiver at 60F around here; Its a strange sight to see so many people in heavy coats when its only 50F outside.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kotaru posted:

I'm a transplant, non-native. People shiver at 60F around here; Its a strange sight to see so many people in heavy coats when its only 50F outside.

We're still breaking 70 pretty regularly in TX too.

I'm not a transplant, but I :psypop: when I see people bundled up like they're going skiiing when it's 68.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

I work at an auction, the worst thing ever is a blizzard on sale day. We've never missed a sale in the 14 years I've worked there. Cleaning 3 feet of snow off of 5,000 cars really sucks.

True story: When the retro Ford Thunderbird first came out, we had one running in the Ford factory sale with under 50 miles on it. The plows had come through the lanes early in the morning, so there was a three foot high snow bank in front of all the cars. My boss told me to get the Thunderbird out and bring it to the building to run in its lane, so I tried to get it out. No way in hell, it's stuck. Bad. So I hop out, say "this thing isn't moving". Boss says, "I don't care what you have to do, get it unstuck".

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ok then. Rev it up, neutral bang it in drive. Time the rock, bang it in reverse. Wheels spinning, smoke and snow going everywhere. It literally took a half hour of this, eventually with some guys pushing it.

When it rolled through the sale lane it was puking coolant, had a really bad knock, a slipping trans, and two bald tires.

Best day at work ever.

Awesome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Rocket Salad posted:

Move to Vancouver :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

When I first came here from Australia and 30*C heat by 8am, I thought I was going to die; now I don't wear jeans until it's around 30*F outside, though I will wear a jacket. It was almost 50*F today so I wore shorts and a T-shirt and drove with the windows down.

Kotaru posted:

When I was in South Carolina people were wearing earmuffs and it was 62*F, I was wearing a tank top, flipflops, and shorts. The ocean was kind of really cold but it wasn't as bad as Lake Superior :v: