Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Managed to connect to the shop today. And what the hell? Why is Crashmo 2€ more expensive than Pushmo? Pushmo was an easy recommendation for anyone with a 3DS, not only because of its beautiful simplicity, but its cheap price. I expected Crashmo to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a better game with more features, the price rise isn't unreasonable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (November 29):

quote:

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Pokemon Rumble - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Aero Porter - €4.99 / £4.49
    THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave (demo)
    New Style Boutique (demo)
DSIWARE
    DotMan - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

Aero Porter is the second Guild 01 release and was designed by Yoot Saito, the man behind Seaman, Yoot Tower and Odama. It's a puzzle game with airport sim elements, or an airport sim with puzzle elements, or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA's latest Club Nintendo digital reward is up (click) - Thruspace (WiiWare), 150 Coins.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA's latest Club Nintendo digital reward is up (click) - Thruspace (WiiWare), 150 Coins.

Man a lot of these digital games I literally didn't know existed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NCL sent out a new Nintendo Direct Mini vid in regards to the next (last?) batch of NSMB2 DLC maps - these ones look to be based on levels from classic SMB games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUDd6LBgl4

EDIT: free until December 1January 31!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 27, 2012

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just noticed that the Donkey Kong Country games will no longer be available for purchase on the Wii Shop Channel soon. I can't find a solid reason why, but apparently this was decided just before the Wii-U launched- so it's probably due to some unfortunate legal shenanigans between Nintendo and Rare...

Or it's because they're being remade in beautiful HD and all on the same disc for Wii-Uobviously not true

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^They've already been taken down in all regions, no reason given. Anyway...

Yo European* dudes - if you register your 3DS XL with Club Nintendo by January 15 you'll be able to claim a download code for a free retail game! Choices include Super Mario 3D Land, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, New Art Academy, Freakyforms Deluxe and New Style Boutique. The promotion is retroactive, so if you've already registered your XL you're already eligible.

http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/3DSXLGamesPromotion/termsENG.html

*United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal and Russia

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

NCL sent out a new Nintendo Direct Mini vid in regards to the next (last?) batch of NSMB2 DLC maps - these ones look to be based on levels from classic SMB games:

EDIT: free until December 1January 31!

Those were some fun levels right there, like how they merged 1-1 and 1-2 from SMB into the first stage, loved the little secrets in the SMB 3 stage, Though found it wierd that the castle had a warp pipe to NSMB2 1-1 filled with gold coin blocks. Would've liked seeing a different retro stage honestly.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Those were some fun levels right there, like how they merged 1-1 and 1-2 from SMB into the first stage, loved the little secrets in the SMB 3 stage, Though found it wierd that the castle had a warp pipe to NSMB2 1-1 filled with gold coin blocks. Would've liked seeing a different retro stage honestly.

They really are a ton of fun. Though the 30,000 coin limit can easily be reached by getting 4,000 coins in World 1 which is quite easy once you do a couple run throughs and find all the secrets, which gets doubled to 8K, 16K and then 32K which is rounded down to 30K. I still got to 30K missing the Flagpole doubler on World 1 too.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
I just got my 3DS and went into the eShop expecting I might buy stuff. I struggled with spending $20 on stuff I wanted. Ended up with Liberation Maiden and Dr Mario (which I wasn't aware was just a straight ROM of a GBA version, sigh). Why no SNES games? This literally makes no sense in any form of thinking. More downlodable DS/3DS games would be nice too. Preferrably not at full $40 retails prices.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

lizzyinthesky posted:

I just got my 3DS and went into the eShop expecting I might buy stuff. I struggled with spending $20 on stuff I wanted. Ended up with Liberation Maiden and Dr Mario (which I wasn't aware was just a straight ROM of a GBA version, sigh). Why no SNES games? This literally makes no sense in any form of thinking. More downlodable DS/3DS games would be nice too. Preferrably not at full $40 retails prices.

Well, there's a lot of great stuff on the eShop. Pushmo, Crashmo, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mole Mania, Wario Land, Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Link's Awakening DX, Cave Story, Dillon's Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai, Mighty Switch Force, Mighty Flip Champs, Pictobits, Mutant Mudds, Gargoyle's Quest, Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Freaky Forms, and Kid Icarus: Myths and Legends, among others.

And no SNES games makes sense in a way: If they flooded the eShop with SNES games, some people would buy those and nothing else. It's irritating but it's a pretty strong reason. I probably wouldn't have grabbed Mighty Switch Force or Pushmo if I could have just had Tetris Attack and Super Mario RPG instead, but I would have been missing out in both cases.

I think everyone should pick up Pushmo or Crashmo. They've gotten all but unanimous praise here and elsewhere. I haven't gotten Crashmo yet, but people saying it's better than Pushmo has me in awe, because Pushmo is one of the best games I have ever played.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I still think it's weird that the 3DS Virtual Console has NES games on there. I figured they'd be all-portable, but whatever. Wanna see Neo Geo Pocket Color games show up on there down the road, but considering how slow/unwilling third parties are to put anything on the 3DS VC, :shrug:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Mercury Crusader posted:

I still think it's weird that the 3DS Virtual Console has NES games on there. I figured they'd be all-portable, but whatever. Wanna see Neo Geo Pocket Color games show up on there down the road, but considering how slow/unwilling third parties are to put anything on the 3DS VC, :shrug:

They probably picked NES because they didn't want to give ambassadors 20 GBA games. That or they just didn't have any better thing to drop on there.

Though I will say, Punch-Out on the 3DS is loving impossible to beat because Mr. Dream's tell is too hard to see on the tiny screen, it might be better on the 3DS XL but I'm not buying one of those so its a moot point.

Would LOVE to see more Game Gear games here in the US, but they don't seem to want to release them anymore.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

punchdaily posted:

And no SNES games makes sense in a way: If they flooded the eShop with SNES games, some people would buy those and nothing else. It's irritating but it's a pretty strong reason. I probably wouldn't have grabbed Mighty Switch Force or Pushmo if I could have just had Tetris Attack and Super Mario RPG instead, but I would have been missing out in both cases.

That is a pretty awful reason. Because people like SNES games they shouldn't have SNES games? gently caress that noise.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lizzyinthesky posted:

That is a pretty awful reason. Because people like SNES games they shouldn't have SNES games? gently caress that noise.

Super Mario World for $9.99 would decimate sales of a new $39.99 Mario game, the same with Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, and Pokemon. Nintendo isn't trying to sell a portable SNES, they are trying to sell a new handheld console. If you want one of those, just get this.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Believe it or not a SNES and SMW are dirt cheap, people just want new stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dehry posted:

Super Mario World for $9.99 would decimate sales of a new $39.99 Mario game, the same with Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, and Pokemon. Nintendo isn't trying to sell a portable SNES, they are trying to sell a new handheld console. If you want one of those, just get this.

So what Zelda II was just released on the eShop is that going to cut in the sales of a new Zelda game? (the answer is no of course not)

Real dumb logic and I bet they're holding out on the SNES games so they can release them later on in the future. Like I am itching to buy SNES games on my 3DS XL and so are many other people. I have no idea how this would hurt Nintendo at all.

E: Also have you taken a look at the current eshop there is almost nothing really there! Just a handful of games. I know crashmo just came out and that is awesome but there really isn't much else.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2012

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
I am unsure how having more content people want to buy could hurt them. The current virtual console selection is HELLA WEAK. The idea that selling these classics would cannibalize all their other sales is just completely nuts. As is I'm not really buying much of anything on the eShop because there isn't a lot I do want, beside the 2-3 full priced retail games they've half-heartedly tossed on there. Even Sony who are incompetent at about everything else has most of their PSP library available to Vita and it hasn't hurt them (the lack of new games is killing them but that's an entire other thing).

lizzyinthesky fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2012

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

lizzyinthesky posted:

I am unsure how having more content people want to buy could hurt them. The current virtual console selection is HELLA WEAK. The idea that selling these classics would cannibalize all their other sales is just completely nuts. As is I'm not really buying much of anything on the eShop because there isn't a lot I do want, beside the 2-3 full priced retail games they've half-heartedly tossed on there. Even Sony who are incompetent at about everything else has most of their PSP library available to Vita and it hasn't hurt them (the lack of new games is killing them but that's an entire other thing).

Mole Mania, Gargoyle's Quest and Kid Icarus: Myths and Monsters are all mostly-unplayed gems for the Game Boy. I know they're not Link to the Past but they're all a lot of fun at a good price if you are looking for VC stuff.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
DoReMi Fantasy is up there too, hell yeah.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PonchAxis posted:

So what Zelda II was just released on the eShop is that going to cut in the sales of a new Zelda game? (the answer is no of course not)

Real dumb logic and I bet they're holding out on the SNES games so they can release them later on in the future. Like I am itching to buy SNES games on my 3DS XL and so are many other people. I have no idea how this would hurt Nintendo at all.

E: Also have you taken a look at the current eshop there is almost nothing really there! Just a handful of games. I know crashmo just came out and that is awesome but there really isn't much else.

Zelda is probably an exception to the rule, but a Mario game is a Mario game

SNES games aren't on their priority list right now. I'm not sure if they could even get an accurate emulation (something very important to Nintendo) of the system to run on the 3DS. There hasn't been any word from Nintendo about releasing those games on the system. The only ones originally promised were Gameboy and Gameboy Color, until the shift in company policy last year. The NES and GBA games were a surprise and in the state they were given, rushed. The GBA emulator is still in mothballs and has yet to be updated. I think a release of the Super Mario Advance series and generally all of the GBA remakes of games are going to be the way anything from the SNES era will even appear on 3DS outside of a full blown 3DS remake.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dehry posted:

Super Mario World for $9.99 on the Wii did not decimate sales of New Super Mario Bros.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Wii wouldn't be able to run a low-level emulator like BSNES. What Nintendo does is exactly the type of emulation Byuu goes out of his way to condemn; a high level base emulator with injected hacks to work out most of the kinks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (November 29):

quote:

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Pokemon Rumble - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Aero Porter - €4.99 / £4.49
    THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave (demo)
    New Style Boutique (demo)
DSIWARE
    DotMan - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

NA update (November 29):

quote:

3DS eSHOP
    Aero Porter - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
DSIWARE
    Bloons TD4 - 500 Points / $4.99
    Invasion of the Alien Blobs! - 200 Points / $1.99

Nothing listed for Wii U in NA, aside from the Youtube app that came out days ago, so either they're not putting Wii U eShop stuff on the press release (unlikely) or they're already struggling to provide new eShop content every week (likely).

The PAL Wii U eShop launch line-up hasn't been officially announced, but from the looks of things it'll include Nano Assault Neo, Little Inferno, Chasing Aurora and Puddles (whatever that is). From the sounds of things the Aussie prices are actually reasonable, too.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

YourAverageJoe posted:

The Wii wouldn't be able to run a low-level emulator like BSNES. What Nintendo does is exactly the type of emulation Byuu goes out of his way to condemn; a high level base emulator with injected hacks to work out most of the kinks.

Well, the key difference is that Nintendo is only interested in getting that specific game to work on the Wii, so they'll build whatever hacks they need to in order to get the game to work properly.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Nothing listed for Wii U in NA, aside from the Youtube app that came out days ago, so either they're not putting Wii U eShop stuff on the press release (unlikely) or they're already struggling to provide new eShop content every week (likely).

It's pretty pessimistic to extrapolate the entire future of the Wii U eShop lineup on the first full week after its release.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd say it's more to encourage people to buy the full $60 games during the holiday season. Nobody is buying it at launch for the e-Shop.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Beating my face against screen repeatedly. 13 cents shy of Aeroporter in my wallet. Just about ready to return this thing to the store just based on sheer Nintendo incompetence. No I do not want to spend $10 to get 13 cents more in my wallet.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

lizzyinthesky posted:

Beating my face against screen repeatedly. 13 cents shy of Aeroporter in my wallet. Just about ready to return this thing to the store just based on sheer Nintendo incompetence. No I do not want to spend $10 to get 13 cents more in my wallet.

If you go to buy it it'll have a button that says "Add Remainder" or something like that that lets you just add what you need.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Aeroporter is super fun, y'all. I've only played three levels so far, but if it continues to be this addicting I could see it being a "Must Buy" recommendation for the eShop based both on addicting nature and price point.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

absolutely anything posted:

If you go to buy it it'll have a button that says "Add Remainder" or something like that that lets you just add what you need.

Oh thank god. Would still prefer a custom thing in Add Wallet though. This works.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL dudes, here's the Wii U eShop launch lineup (minus retail games):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Chasing Aurora - £10.79
    Little Inferno - £12.99
    Nano Assault Neo - £8.99
    Puddle - £8.99 (£7.19 until December 15)
    Trine 2: Director's Cut - £13.99 (£10.99 until January 1)

There's also a FIFA demo.

Zuph posted:

It's pretty pessimistic to extrapolate the entire future of the Wii U eShop lineup on the first full week after its release.

I'm doing it based on their past history with 3DS, Wii and DSi.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, the key difference is that Nintendo is only interested in getting that specific game to work on the Wii, so they'll build whatever hacks they need to in order to get the game to work properly.

There is also the fact that they have access to the original assets and source code which I'm sure makes it far easier to do with good results.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

There is also the fact that they have access to the original assets and source code which I'm sure makes it far easier to do with good results.

Hopefully they've still got the source code. I don't know about Nintendo specifically but I know many Japanese developers are pretty bad about archiving their source code. This has created numerous problems for rereleases such as the Silent Hill HD collection, where Konami didn't have the source code for the released version of Silent Hill 2, only a beta created a couple months before release; and Sega who have completely lost the source code to the original House of the Dead (meaning there will never be a remake of it, unless it's remade from the ground up)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Aeroporter looks interesting, but not the spiritual sequel to Aerobiz and Aerobiz 2 that I hope for every time I see a new airplane sim :negative:

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

I'm doing it based on their past history with 3DS, Wii and DSi.

Fair enough. Initial reports paint the Wii U as more indie friendly than the Wii, and arguably other consoles.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So just wondering, did they just add Tekken TT2 recently on the eShop cause I don't recall that being available at launch?

EDIT: And the Nintendo downloads email is saying NBA 2K13 is available too.

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 30, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Aero Porter is REALLY fun. It's a different sort of puzzle game than I expected. I kept making mistakes and thinking that would screw me over for the level, but instead the game expects you to make mistakes and just minimize the harm from them. The pace picks up really quickly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
With the WiiU and its download service getting underway, has Nintendo announced any plans to pull the plug on the regular Wii Shop? There's a few VC games I've been meaning to download but haven't bothered to yet, and I'm not getting a WiiU anytime soon.