Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not sure that is correct. I know a 91 toyota pickup has m10 or m11 fine thread seatbelt bolts because we had to find some of sufficient grade (10.9, 11.9, or 12.9 ISO property class) to fix aceofsnett's truck. And I am pretty sure jeeps use metric as well... with some goofy huge t45, t50 or so torx head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

Not sure that is correct. I know a 91 toyota pickup has m10 or m11 fine thread seatbelt bolts because we had to find some of sufficient grade (10.9, 11.9, or 12.9 ISO property class) to fix aceofsnett's truck. And I am pretty sure jeeps use metric as well... with some goofy huge t45, t50 or so torx head.

Yeah, torx heads are common on seat and seatbelt hardware, but torx is ISO 10664 and unrelated to SAE and metric. An M11 fine should also be stronger in tensile and shear strength than 7/16 SAE, I've just never encountered it as far as I can remember.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Size is meaningless without a strength rating/grade.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Size is meaningless without a strength rating/grade.

Correct, that's why we talk Grade 5, if you bother to look a page back. Futhermore it's not meaningless if we talk bolts of comparable strength but different configurations as in SAE vs Metric/DIN.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 24, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, I'll assume that you mean 8.8 for the metric and grade 5 for the imperial then, sorry.

The Torx standard is just the wrenching configuration, though, it doesn't really mean anything for the bolt itself. You're correct about ISO 10664 being the same as the proprietary Torx standard for all relevant purposes, though. The differences between them are of no importance unless you're a fastener manufacturer.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The Torx standard is just the wrenching configuration, though, it doesn't really mean anything for the bolt itself.

Like I wrote a couple of posts back.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I read it as you were saying that Torx was a fastener standard unrelated to SAE or metric.

I'm obviously having an off day on the reading comprehension front, don't worry about it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I read it as you were saying that Torx was a fastener standard unrelated to SAE or metric.

I'm obviously having an off day on the reading comprehension front, don't worry about it.

I might have expressed it incomprehensible. English isn't my first language. Our misunderstandings are probably not your faults entirely. I'll try to express things more concisely and precise. Peace out ;)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Walmart has a 150 piece Stanley socket set for $44--looks like a good basic set for really cheap: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-150-Piece-Socket-Set/21812626

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My apologies about the torx derail, I mentioned it because I couldn't think of the metric thread size on those particular bolts. Almost every body bolt on a modern (mid to late 80s or later) jeep is metric.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Any recommendations for a reciprocating saw? Need to cut the flex pipe off my brother's Camry and clamp a replacement in. I have an air compressor and cut off wheel but I'd have to unbolt the exhaust from the header and when I did it on my Camry one of the bolts or nuts stripped so I'd like to avoid doing that.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ever seen those "cutting wheels on a chain" thing?

Canadian Tire up here loans them out as a specialty tool for removing exhaust. Basically there a bunch on small cutting wheels mounted on a chain. You wrap this "chain" around the exhaust and clip it back to the set of handles the chain is mounted to (fixed on one handle, a clip mounting spot on the other handle so you can manually place the chain at the desired slack).

As you squeeze the handles, the slack is taken out of the chain and the cutting wheels press tightly to the exhaust. Then you just work it back and forth squeezing the handles until the pipe is cut.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Walmart has a 150 piece Stanley socket set for $44--looks like a good basic set for really cheap: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-150-Piece-Socket-Set/21812626

I have a Stanley set that I've used for years almost without fail. Looks similar to this set except I don't have the bits, keys, and spanners (mine's the ratchets and sockets only). I've had to replace the 3/8 ratchet after the drive twisted off by me jumping up and down on several feet of cheater pipe attached to it, which was also after I twisted a drive adapter on my breaker bar + cheater doing the same thing. So these will take abuse and would be a great starter set or for your junkyard bag.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

That's not really a battery charger so much as a battery maintainer to keep your battery from slowly draining while garaged; would take forever to recharge a drained battery with that and you're likely to burn it up if you try. If you can't get something like this, you might as well just save your $5 and get a jump-start.

It's not designed to. It doesn't trickle if the battery is under 10v, and stops at about 13.2v. It's designed to keep those new fangled cars that draw a few mA in storage to keep from draining the battery to a state of death while they sit neglected, it is not intended to be a 'charger'.

I will fight you to the death if you talk poo poo about these. I own six, and have given them as gifts to people who leave their cars (undriven) outside for the winter. Saved at least two batteries so far. :colbert:

I bought one of these, and used it extensively during the NG900 rebuild for superficial and non-rusted stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

Ever seen those "cutting wheels on a chain" thing?

Canadian Tire up here loans them out as a specialty tool for removing exhaust. Basically there a bunch on small cutting wheels mounted on a chain. You wrap this "chain" around the exhaust and clip it back to the set of handles the chain is mounted to (fixed on one handle, a clip mounting spot on the other handle so you can manually place the chain at the desired slack).

As you squeeze the handles, the slack is taken out of the chain and the cutting wheels press tightly to the exhaust. Then you just work it back and forth squeezing the handles until the pipe is cut.

My great uncle was a plumber and used the same device to cut pipes. I think I have one of them in a box at my mom's house.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

My great uncle was a plumber and used the same device to cut pipes. I think I have one of them in a box at my mom's house.

A quick google search gives the picture:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

That's pretty much the same thing except mine is 70 years old and rusty. Looks like something you'd see in a SAW or HOSTEL film.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Sockington posted:

Looks like a string of those wheels from a brake line cutter.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Guess who got a plasma cutter and a Honda genset, that's to zoro tools 40% off sale?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sharkytm posted:

Guess who got a plasma cutter and a Honda genset, that's to zoro tools 40% off sale?

Well, don't leave us hanging.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

veedubfreak posted:

Well, don't leave us hanging.

One hint: it's not tt.

It's me!
Eu2000i generator and a thermal dynamics cut master 42: 1400 shipped.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'd love to have a plasma cutter, but I blew my wad on buying a welder.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have a suggestion for a decent power/air caulk gun? I'm looking into getting my father in law one for Christmas, he restores and resells salvage title cars and has been having trouble with windshield sealant lately (he's in his mid-60s.)

McMaster-Carr has a battery operated unit for $300 and an air-powered one for about half of that. He has a big fuckoff I/C air compressor so he can definitely run the air powered one, but I could see how the battery operated one would be nice for use outside of his garage.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bought a badass set of prybars today.

I had been using this Princess Auto piece of poo poo and the handle snapped off while I was pulling on it, yesterday, resulting in me falling on my rear end. Nobody saw it.

That's because the loving bar only goes into the handle about an inch! I can't complain too loudly though because I only paid three bucks for it.

The new ones' bars go the full length of the handle, and have steel caps for hammering on. I already used the little one today, pulling hubcaps off a van for changing to winter tires :3:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Geoj posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent power/air caulk gun? I'm looking into getting my father in law one for Christmas, he restores and resells salvage title cars and has been having trouble with windshield sealant lately (he's in his mid-60s.)

McMaster-Carr has a battery operated unit for $300 and an air-powered one for about half of that. He has a big fuckoff I/C air compressor so he can definitely run the air powered one, but I could see how the battery operated one would be nice for use outside of his garage.

You mean a grease gun, not a caulk gun, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

You mean a grease gun, not a caulk gun, right?

The make power caulk guns too.

The choice of air or battery largely comes down to what it's being used for. General contracting/home repair? Battery. Garage only work.....may as well go with air if you already have a nice compressor and all that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

The make power caulk guns too.

The choice of air or battery largely comes down to what it's being used for. General contracting/home repair? Battery. Garage only work.....may as well go with air if you already have a nice compressor and all that.

Oops, I missed the windshield part and forgot that normal peoples' cars don't have that so many greasepoints.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

There's something like 14 of them on a GM Astro van IIRC... it's a really big number, that I know. Used to have one customer that actually requested grease to every fitting every time he came in for an oil change, most people didn't care.

I don't even know how many are on my M54A2 - I find more every time I look at it. I really need to get a good grease gun when I fix that thing again, I used an entire tube of grease (the big ones like a foot long) last time.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Geoj posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent power/air caulk gun?

McMaster-Carr has a battery operated unit for $300 and an air-powered one for about half of that.
Both Milwaukee and DeWalt make battery-powered caulk guns so if he already has any tools in those ecosystems it would make more sense to me to get one of those rather than having to drag an air hose around everywhere.

stevobob posted:

I had been using this Princess Auto piece of poo poo and the handle snapped off while I was pulling on it, yesterday, resulting in me falling on my rear end. Nobody saw it.
That means it didn't happen :ssh: Just like I never went flying onto my rear end while pulling the ball adapter out of my Draw-Tite once

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I just registered at zorotools so I never, ever, ever miss a 40% off everything sale again.

I could have been the proud new owner of a tig welder.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 30, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

nmfree posted:

Both Milwaukee and DeWalt make battery-powered caulk guns so if he already has any tools in those ecosystems it would make more sense to me to get one of those rather than having to drag an air hose around everywhere.

That means it didn't happen :ssh: Just like I never went flying onto my rear end while pulling the ball adapter out of my Draw-Tite once

Similarly, no one has ever seen my car fall off the jackstands twice while trying to move it around the garage :)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

veedubfreak posted:

Similarly, no one has ever seen my car fall off the jackstands twice while trying to move it around the garage :)

All my neighbours got to see this one

Learned a harsh lesson that day.

I've also driven over a bunch of those folding steel wheel chocks. Luckily they still work.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe I just don't get the Harbor Freight mentality 'cause the nearest one has always been like a hour and a half away, but is gambling and having to drive back to store constantly really better than just coughing up the extra cash for a higher quality tool?

I love HF. Though you may be right -- my local store is close enough that I could probably return a power tool while standing in my yard if the wind was right and I swung it by the cord to throw it.

Maybe I've just been lucky -- I have two angle grinders, a $20 one from Harbor Freight and a fancy Makita my dad gave me for Christmas one year, both subjected to similar abuse; the Makita, I've had to put down because it got uncomfortably hot (while wearing welding gloves), but the HF one has taken everything I've thrown at it without complaint.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Aside from air tools and compressors, what 10 or so tools could accomplish 50% or more of regular automotive maintenance work?
No toolbox is complete without a 3-pound hammer. It's one of those things you don't think you'd ever need, but once you have one, you don't know how you lived without it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

No toolbox is complete without a 3-pound hammer.

No man is complete without a 20 pound sledge. Add a twisted wood splitting wedge, and you're guaranteed to never make one of those "I found a safe but can't find the key/don't know the combination lock code"-threads that almost always ends in agony and despair and suffering.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't trust the handles on those anymore after breaking the "hardwood" handle off a harbor freight carpenters hammer... by throwing it. Head hit the ground, handle broke off.

This is the BFH (Big Fuckin' Hammer) in my toolbag. http://stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SLEDGE+HAMMERS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=56-220&SDesc=4+Lb.+Jacketed+Fiberglass+Blacksmith+Hammer

It does everything from brutalizing expensive things near the item I intended to hit, to blackening my thumbnails, to destroying everything, as well as driving chisels like a boss and separating tie rod ends and balljoints better than any pickle fork ever would. Great for knocking out broken lug studs too.

Buy a big hammer and throw out your pickle fork:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc

I really wish I knew where the REALLY big hammer I had once (no really, the head weighed 10-20lbs and it had a chunk of 3/4" solid square steel bar welded into it as a handle) went. Sometimes the 4 pounder isn't big enough and I really have to apply some violence to a problem.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Any suggestions on gauge inflators? I was going to get my father one of the classic Milton inflators, but would be open to something else if there's a better/more robust option out there.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kastein posted:

I don't trust the handles on those anymore after breaking the "hardwood" handle off a harbor freight carpenters hammer... by throwing it. Head hit the ground, handle broke off.

Dunno about harbour freight, but Princess auto has small 2-3lb sledges that are all metal with some rubber molded around the handle.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

fatman1683 posted:

Any suggestions on gauge inflators? I was going to get my father one of the classic Milton inflators, but would be open to something else if there's a better/more robust option out there.
Does your father run a shop or something? I just have the cheap harbor freight dial gauge one and it works great.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Does your father run a shop or something? I just have the cheap harbor freight dial gauge one and it works great.

I have this one and it kind of sucks. It works OK, but you have to hold the air nozzle in place on the tire stem, or it leaks. It would be awesome if the drat nozzle didn't suck so much. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I like Harbor Freight's dead blow hammer: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-69002.html

They're awesome around the home for putting together Ikea furniture or flattening chicken breasts too!