Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Due to the earlier trashing of Nirvana reissues: Does anyone know anything about how that RSD reissue of Incesticide sounds? I assumed it was good because it's two 45 rpm discs and was mastered from the original tapes. I picked it up thinking it was released by ORG, but it's not. Although from what I know the lovely Nirvana reissues are from Geffen and Subpop. This was by Universal. I didn't open it yet, so if it sucks I'm just going to return it and order the ORG release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
From a Nirvana forum:
http://livenirvana.com/forum/showpost.php?p=581162&postcount=78

quote:

i bought one of these today on behalf of a fellow LNer that wanted one (i think he still does?). it's not brickwalled. the bass is Very compressed, though. compression used in mastering is frequency specific (at least split low, mid, high). the 92 LP version was more compressed in the midrange than the new 20th anniversary version, but the bass on the 92 was much more dynamic. the new version's somewhat more dynamic, breathing mids over a steady, heavier low end was, at least in my brief comparison, equal or maybe even preferable to the '92 version on some songs (like BLN and aneurysm). the heavy bass compression made a murky poo poo-show out of sliver, however. i don't think i've ever heard a worse sounding official version of that song.

the physical vinyl and packaging are high quality, but the set is not worth $50 to me, so i will be passing it along (at the same price i paid for it). the new LP set was mastered by chris bellman at bernie grundman mastering in los angeles. the credit is in the liner notes.

i hope this helps some of you with your buying decisions. if i had a bigger budget or was more of a collector i'd probably hang on to this, but personally i'll be fine with the better sounding (and less expensive) ORG pressing, and the 92 copy that i already have.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Parachute Underwear posted:

Per Facebook, Converge's newest is finally headed to Deathwish & Kingsroad, so orders should ship soon.

Yes! I honestly have no problem with the wait. I kinda want to punch the dude who wrote this on facebook though: "You should give the people that ordered and payed for record months ago and still haven't heard word from deathwish the colored one."

How can you be that oblivious? The preorder clearly stated "There are three colorways available from the preorder" and they sent out a few "We are so sorry, this delay is out of our hands" emails. Dude is being passive aggressive about the band having a special euro tour colorway?

I will always give DW the benefit of the doubt. If it was June and still no AWLWLB in my mailbox I still wouldn't think something shifty was up. I ordered the American Nightmare represses from a distro. When I got them, Background Noise was sealed with a "GREEN VINYL" sticker on it, I opened it up and it was 180g black. I emailed the distro and said what amounted to "Hey, my LP was sealed but labeled with the wrong color. This obviously isn't your fault and I do not care about the color at all. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I know some people are serious about that kind of thing." At no point did I contact DW. A couple months later I got a package from DW with the correct color, a bonus 7" and a hand written apology.

Good mail day today, got the new Prawn from topshelf and the new lathe cut and screened 7" from The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Topshelf :allears: I got the new Slingshot Dakota from them today, this recording sounds incredible.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

Topshelf :allears:

So glad they finally made back patches. Thing is huge too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
This album I just got is really quite weird:

It must have just never been intended for a commercial release I guess.

edit: ok I have a question about outer sleeves. Every single record shipped with an outer sleeve that I've ordered from Germany comes in these stupidly high quality sleeves, they look like this:

(with the weird lines that run horizontally)

Does anyone know where I can order these online?

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 30, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

This album I just got is really quite weird:

It must have just never been intended for a commercial release I guess.

That's not a compact disc at all. You should ask for a refund.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
House DJ/producer Todd Edwards is selling all the records he used as sample sources in lots on eBay. You can find them here http://www.ebay.com/sch/toddedwardsrecords/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Todd Edwards posted:

I recently moved from New Jersey to my new home of Los Angeles and I drove a truck across the US with all of my belongings (very Hollywood, right?). Before I left Jersey, my manager asked me what I was going to do with all of my old records and I said I didn't know, and he asked me to pack them as he'd love to have them.

A week later, when I finally made it to California and pulled up to my manager's house, he was drinking a mai tai and said "I changed my mind." Typical!

These records I've collected over the last 25 years and every record has been sampled by me (at least once if not more!), so they're all stored in my sample banks. I don't have space in my apartment or in my studio for them, so I've decided to put my entire record collection up for sale.

My manager's lovely assistant Elene (she is an angel!) picked up the records, put them in boxes of roughly 50, and has them all ready to be shipped.

There are beautiful gospel records, lots of disco 12"s from the '70s, some wild freestyle white labels, plenty of '60s and '70s rock albums, and lots of house records from the '80s & '90s (Strictly Rhythm, Nervous, all the classics).

Have fun and here's to receiving some good surprises!

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Yo, lemme holla at that 50 pound box of trash.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

JehovahsWetness posted:

hahahahahaha

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Daaaamn

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

This album sounds god drat fantastic on vinyl.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey guys, the new Radiohead single showed up last night!

Seriously though, the A-Side is basically a modern Radiohead song. The B-Side is an interesting lower-key ambient piece (IMO), and a remix of the A-Side.

I'm excited for the album, but that's maybe mostly because I love Radiohead.

Also, "Default" has a sample, or an amazing recreation of the synth tone from the A Clockwork Orange introduction song. It's awesome.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 1, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Duckula posted:

This album sounds god drat fantastic on vinyl.

I hope that this album's successful enough to warrant a reissue of his old solo and Walker Brothers stuff, because it's impossible to find and I loving want to listen to Nite Flights on vinyl.

^^Also, thanks for reminding me that I need to give Thom Yorke more of my money.^^

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

traveling midget posted:

Hey guys, the new Radiohead single showed up last night!

Seriously though, the A-Side is basically a modern Radiohead song. The B-Side is an interesting lower-key ambient piece (IMO), and a remix of the A-Side.

I got that 12" yesterday, too, and yeah, it's good. Disagree with your assessment of the b-side as ambient at all, though- it's got to be at least 130 bpm, with frantic high hat programming, a fast moving funk bassline, and some Talking Heads style guitar. I actually prefer it to the a-side, and hope the full length is more like that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

chime_on posted:

I got that 12" yesterday, too, and yeah, it's good. Disagree with your assessment of the b-side as ambient at all, though- it's got to be at least 130 bpm, with frantic high hat programming, a fast moving funk bassline, and some Talking Heads style guitar. I actually prefer it to the a-side, and hope the full length is more like that.

Yeah, I'm using ambient wrong. It's very.. background music-y? I don't know what I'm trying to say. :words:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't know what's going on with Amazon Canada. I just got an email saying "Oh, we're still trying to find a copy of Melloncollie and the Infinite Sadness." You can't find it?

This is after you cancel my order, and then send me an email saying it was cancelled by accident. Get your poo poo together, seriously.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Can't you just turn up the volume if it doesn't sound good?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Partycat posted:

I did ask the other day, what's more "hipster" right now, collecting video games, or collecting vinyl. Unanimously, vinyl.

That's fine with me, nobody want to sit and listen to 8-bit beeps when you can listen to electronic music records instead.

I collect both. When I say this, I don't mean casually. I have had over 2000 records pass through my possession, and I have at least 1500, now.
I have also owned every single original licensed nintendo game. I sold cart only Stadium Events for $3250. I also just sold 75 of my other rarest nintendo games on ebay for a total of $5300 in sales.

Video Game collecting is WAY hotter than vinyl right now. It's not even close.
I think a good gross overgeneralization right now is that vinyl collectors are nerds that are trying not to be nerds, and video game collectors are nerds that aren't really trying to hide it.

I will much more readily tell normal looking strangers about my record collection, than my $10k+ video game collection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I hope that this album's successful enough to warrant a reissue of his old solo and Walker Brothers stuff, because it's impossible to find and I loving want to listen to Nite Flights on vinyl.

^^Also, thanks for reminding me that I need to give Thom Yorke more of my money.^^

I recently learned about Scott Walker from this cool documentary about him on the Sundance channel (It's called 30th Century Man if anyone is interested). I instantly knew I had to look into his music. Recently I look around the internet for a copy of Nite Flights and I was pretty suprised when I saw what kind of picres that fetches. Even the CD is a fifty dollar item. Also, I'm pretty sure Scott 1-4 have been reissued on vinyl.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I recently learned about Scott Walker from this cool documentary about him on the Sundance channel (It's called 30th Century Man if anyone is interested).

David Bowie executive produced that documentary. :eng101:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

David Bowie executive produced that documentary. :eng101:

That makes sense. The thing that really struck me was to see Brian Eno in awe of someone else. For me there isn't really a higher endorsement than that.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Where do you guys buy your hardware online? My roommate's toddler snapped all of my phono leads and broke my cartridge. I can't buy anything locally because there are only two shops in town and their prices are absolutely terrible.

\/ THANKS

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Where do you guys buy your hardware online? My roommate's toddler snapped all of my phono leads and broke my cartridge. I can't buy anything locally because there are only two shops in town and their prices are absolutely terrible.

Amazon, turntableneedles.com

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Amazon, turntableneedles.com

Or https://needledoctor.com.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

\/ THANKS

Kids are assholes.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Needle Doctor is fun for seeing all the ridiculous gear they sell for thousands and thousands of dollars. "Only $10,000 for a cartridge? That's a steal considering I paid ten times that for my turntable! My party guests are going to love talking about it, but I would never be so barbaric as to actually play anything on it. Can't risk any wear and tear on such valuable equipment."

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Anyone get the Beck - Sea Change RSD release? I got a friend who works at a record store to get me a copy, so I'm psyched (its one of my favorite albums ever). Just wondering how the sound quality will be.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mono posted:

Anyone get the Beck - Sea Change RSD release? I got a friend who works at a record store to get me a copy, so I'm psyched (its one of my favorite albums ever). Just wondering how the sound quality will be.

The older black one sounds fantastic. I can't imagine them loving it up on pink.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, has another heard anything about when MGMT plans on releasing their third album? They've been working on it forever.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

CPL593H posted:

Kids are assholes.

Yeah, he just loving grabbed and pulled. I'm glad it wasn't while I was listening to something.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 3, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

Hey, has another heard anything about when MGMT plans on releasing their third album? They've been working on it forever.

No, listen to Pond while you're waiting.

That also goes for anyone that likes Tame Impala.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
After getting some more records in the mail and testing things out, I've come to the conclusion that my turntable is playing slightly faster than it should be. A song that MP3 rips have times of 3:47 play at about 3:40 on the record, making it ever so slightly different and very frustrating. Considering I paid $12 for this one at Goodwill and it lasted a year, should I just purchase a new one? And on that note, what would you recommend? I wouldn't need anything terribly fancy.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Schremp Howard posted:

After getting some more records in the mail and testing things out, I've come to the conclusion that my turntable is playing slightly faster than it should be. A song that MP3 rips have times of 3:47 play at about 3:40 on the record, making it ever so slightly different and very frustrating. Considering I paid $12 for this one at Goodwill and it lasted a year, should I just purchase a new one? And on that note, what would you recommend? I wouldn't need anything terribly fancy.

Tell us what you have, maybe we can adjust the speed.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

cosmicjim posted:

Tell us what you have, maybe we can adjust the speed.

It's an Aiwa PX-E850. If it's anything odd or inexpensive that I just don't have the know-how to fix it, I can always take it to Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh since it's so close to me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, it's not uncommon for turntables to run at different speeds then what they should. It seems like your turntable, if I did the math right, is running 3 percent fast, which actually seems really bad.

Does your turntable have two screws, one for 33 1/3 and one for 45?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/212769-aiwa-turntable-turning-wromg-speed.html

Hopefully that leads you to the right direction.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, it's not uncommon for turntables to run at different speeds then what they should. It seems like your turntable, if I did the math right, is running 3 percent fast, which actually seems really bad.

Does your turntable have two screws, one for 33 1/3 and one for 45?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/212769-aiwa-turntable-turning-wromg-speed.html

Hopefully that leads you to the right direction.

Yeah, that looks like it should help. Something may have gotten weird with it when I moved, I haven't used it too heavily since then. Thanks for the info!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Yeah, he just loving grabbed and pulled. I'm just glad It wasn't while I was listening to something.

Seriously though, I hate children. They are dicks and they ruin everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Seriously though, I hate children. They are dicks and they ruin everything.

I believe the children are our future.

In which case, we are severely hosed. This one kid I know, he can't even use a toilet. I don't give a poo poo that he's 9 months old. He's the future. The weight is on him, man.