Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's like a hotwheel.

Looks totally custom, all fiberglass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That's the coolest car I've ever seen.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
IIRC it was a kit sold in the 60s and 70s, Volkswagen based. And totally awesome.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
VW based kit called a Brubaker Box.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's pretty loving awesome right there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was digging around in some boxes of old books and ran across some classic Chevrolet/Chevelle/Chevy II/Corvette repair manuals, copyrighted 1965. Oh and some Mechanix Illustrated from late 1978-1979.

These two are kind of related to cars (or as related as car books can be, anyways).I'm not sure why they're in my barn, but oh well :v:

1966 US Air Force research papers with a note dated in February of 1967, kinda cryptic. I was rather surprised when I saw the date since the paper is in such good condition.

1908 Edition of Kent's Mechanical Engineer's Pocket-book. Apparently Mechanical Engineers had huge pockets back then.

1943 Machinery's Handbook. Had a receipt for a tool loan from 1953 in it, sometimes it's cool to find these kind of things.

I found a bunch of passenger car, light duty truck, and basic GM service and repair manuals from the 70's and 80's too, but those are rather boring compared to those cool finds. Hopefully this isn't considered off topic, but I thought you guys might appreciate them.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 30, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

MonkeyNutZ posted:

VW based kit called a Brubaker Box.

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it, although I don't think I'd want to be around if anything bigger than a Focus ran into it. :ohdear: Still pretty awesome IMO.

Tusen Takk posted:

1943 Machinery's Handbook. Had a receipt for a tool loan from 1953 in it, sometimes it's cool to find these kind of things.

Finding this kind of stuff is cool. But who rents a plastic hammer?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Black88GTA posted:

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it, although I don't think I'd want to be around if anything bigger than a Focus ran into it. :ohdear: Still pretty awesome IMO.

Somebody who has to hammer plastic? :haw:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Black88GTA posted:

I assumed it's from the shop he worked at, you probably had to check tools in and out so they didn't end up out the door with you.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I disagree with the Discovery being better than a Wrangler. At least not a modern JK.

These things are built sturdy and are capable off road. I think they're the most capable civilian vehicle sold in the world right now short of Military or industrial markets. They're also more friendly to modification. I have an unlimited Rubicon model and it will fit a 37" tire without lifting and you can go with a 40" tire no lift with fender modifications.

Electronic disconnecting sway bar, 4:1 gear reduction transfer case and locking front and rear diff make it easy to navigate obstacles which other vehicles have difficulty.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tusen Takk posted:

engineering stuff

A buddy of mine has an Engineer's Guide from the 20's for a coffeetable book. It's pretty cool to see diagrams of overly complex machinery with close-up exploded views of small parts.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Tusen Takk posted:

A bunch of pictures of old magazines etc.

This reminds me that I have a bunch (4 or 5) of bankers' boxes full of old popular science/popular mechanics' from my grandpa. I think the oldest one is 1938/39, all the way up until the '70s or '80s. It is amazing to see how much more people were willing to make/do for themselves.

I have this crazy idea where I'd like to scan them to preserve them for posterity, but that would take a hell of a long time...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tusen Takk posted:

1908 Edition of Kent's Mechanical Engineer's Pocket-book. Apparently Mechanical Engineers had huge pockets back then.

Those are awesome. I have a few old (1930's) engineering books and am trying to build up a collection so I can have one bookshelf full of cool old books.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So this summer I went for a walk with my dog and saw these all laying around. Oh Montreal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

He's just happy to be included. No idea about the supercars behind him!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I disagree with the Discovery being better than a Wrangler. At least not a modern JK.

And certainly not a Rubicon. A Disco 1 may be on par with a non-Ruby as far as off road capabilities. The D2 even adds some party tricks (hill decent control and departure angle assistance) but most of them didn't have a locking center diff so.....well, 1 wheel drive in the mud unless the computer decides it wants to burn up your brakes to correct the situation.

My buddy wheels in a Ruby. It's awesome and I can't keep up in my Disco 1, mostly because of the lockers.

Now that he's lifted it and has ridiculous suspension flex it's even harder to stick with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The electronic sway bar disconnect is the coolest thing though. In my XJ I had to get out, pull the pins, and to connect it I had to get the vehicle totally flat or have someone rock it while I lined up the holes.

Its amazing how much smoother high speed rhythm sections are with the sway disconnected.

Eventually I'm going to be replacing the current lift with fox shocks and air bump stops. I'd like it to be as capable as a ford raptor with the faster stuff.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 30, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
How much can you really do to improve on the fast stuff with a solid axle?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

The electronic sway bar disconnect is the coolest thing though.

Is that stock on the newer ones? His is a few years old and he's got pins on his. I don't know if that was a modification during the lift though (doubt it....he's not a moron).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

Is that stock on the newer ones? His is a few years old and he's got pins on his. I don't know if that was a modification during the lift though (doubt it....he's not a moron).

Yeah, on the new stock rubi's the E-Sway bar disco's are stock.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

Any of the more complete lift kits come with a sway bar disconnect which is pins basically that allow you to get more flex.

The TJ Rubicon which was up until 2006 had the 4:1 transfer case, the locking diffs and the Dana 44 axles.

The JK which is 2007 has a longer and wider wheelbase, longer axle control arms (huge benefits), Gen II Dana 44 axles, and the sway bar disconnect.

I have the unlimited which is nice because I can sleep in the back with the old lady, but the wheelbase is just a little long for some situations. The XJ is the perfect wheeling length.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Yeah, on the new stock rubi's the E-Sway bar disco's are stock.

They're really doing it right on those things. I still can't get over the seating position (seat not centered with the steering wheel) but other than that......

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EightBit posted:

How much can you really do to improve on the fast stuff with a solid axle?

Fast stuff requires a lot of uptravel, a way to not harm the components once you reach the end of the uptravel, and a shock that can cope with continuous cycling/stroke without overheating, cavitation or foaming. These principles are the same for independent and solid axle.

Addressing the issues is easier with independent, and in a max effort race environment, the solid axle would run into limitations that the independent wouldnt, but for the enthusiast a solid setup could be made to do what an independent setup can.

Here is a setup from Teraflex that basically does what I'm going to do, except I already have a lift, so I'm just going to be swapping out shocks, springs and adding bumpstops. I find that in Northern Alberta, the opportunity to do a lot of high speed gravel road driving is a lot more common than the gnarly slow speed rock crawling I'm used to from BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjK9d0rRHA

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

jonathan posted:

Fast stuff requires a lot of uptravel, a way to not harm the components once you reach the end of the uptravel, and a shock that can cope with continuous cycling/stroke without overheating, cavitation or foaming. These principles are the same for independent and solid axle.

Addressing the issues is easier with independent, and in a max effort race environment, the solid axle would run into limitations that the independent wouldnt, but for the enthusiast a solid setup could be made to do what an independent setup can.

Here is a setup from Teraflex that basically does what I'm going to do, except I already have a lift, so I'm just going to be swapping out shocks, springs and adding bumpstops. I find that in Northern Alberta, the opportunity to do a lot of high speed gravel road driving is a lot more common than the gnarly slow speed rock crawling I'm used to from BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjK9d0rRHA

That's still a nasty amount of bouncing and roughness. The video didn't show any sections where the washboard wasn't perpendicular to the Jeep; I wonder if they'd still do 50 across that without breaking a track bar or mount. Even with that kit I wouldn't go slamming down that trail at 50 in my own personal Jeep because I don't have money to throw away breaking axles on purpose.

Edit: not to say that that's not an impressive speed for a Jeep on washboard

EightBit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 30, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EightBit posted:

That's still a nasty amount of bouncing and roughness. The video didn't show any sections where the washboard wasn't perpendicular to the Jeep; I wonder if they'd still do 50 across that without breaking a track bar or mount. Even with that kit I wouldn't go slamming down that trail at 50 in my own personal Jeep because I don't have money to throw away breaking axles on purpose.

Edit: not to say that that's not an impressive speed for a Jeep on washboard

Don't forget that most trophy trucks have a solid rear axle. The Jeep is also balanced a lot better than the Raptor, Mine is about 40kg from being a perfect 50/50. Anyways, uneven sections will always be harder to manage with a solid axle, but they can still be made to be enjoyable on high speed stuff.

The Bowler Wildcat is also a fully live axle setup.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A friend of mine uploaded this pic of his Jeep to FB:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

rscott posted:

I think they're the most coherent youtube comments I've ever seen

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Black88GTA posted:

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it

Most of Logan's Run was filmed right here in DFW. :clint:

First time I saw it, I saw them at the.. pool thing. Then realized "waitaminute, I've been there.. Ft Worth Water Gardens?!".

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Sockington posted:

That sucks about the poor engineering. Why do people try to solve axle wrap with this abortion of a solution?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Don't you only need the bottom half of that to control axle wrap? Well, two of them?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Can someone explain for the offroad illiterate as well?

First thing I noticed was the drive shaft setup and I had a positive impression on that.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What mode of failure will that eventually lead to? The leaf setup will (I assume) allow the axle to deflect more or less in a straight line. Where as the anti wrap bar will act like a swingarm under deflection and will want to make the axle travel in an arc between full compression and full extension. Leading to ripped / broken mounts or terrible rear suspension behavior. That is my guess - someone with more suspension knowledge can chime in and make more sense.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sockington posted:

Saw the axle and was trying to figure out what the big deal was, then I saw the box steel sections :stare:

Here have a F1 car cross section

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DefaultPeanut posted:

What mode of failure will that eventually lead to? The leaf setup will (I assume) allow the axle to deflect more or less in a straight line. Where as the anti wrap bar will act like a swingarm under deflection and will want to make the axle travel in an arc between full compression and full extension. Leading to ripped / broken mounts or terrible rear suspension behavior. That is my guess - someone with more suspension knowledge can chime in and make more sense.

I have no idea on truck poo poo, so figured you boys would fill me in on wtf was going on there.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is the whole rear diff carrier/frame (and i'm guessing axle, i know poo poo about trucks) pivoting in an arc about that eye on the left of the picture?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That jeep might work fine if it was plotted correctly. Adding ladder bars to leaf spring suspension is actually really common. Look at the huge jacked up mud bloggers in YouTube. Tons of them have a similar setup.

If you got the geometry wrong I could see how the suspension would bind. However the suspension will travel in an arc already with springs due to the spring shackle at the end. If the ladder bar follows the same arc as the spring on the fixed end (not the shackle end) it will be fine.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Sockington posted:

Just out of frame on the left edge of the picture, you can see part of the shackle that the triangular ladder bar is attached to (assuming this guy knows what he's doing). That shackle pivots on the frame. It's not related to the shackles that are part of the leaf springs, in case it's unclear.

The whole goal is to stop the leaf springs from wrapping/twisting when power is applied, as this causes the pinion of the diff to rotate upwards, leading to bad things like binding u-joints and vibrations. The ladder bar stops that upward rotation, since it's rigidly mounted to the axle, and its distal end tries to pull up on the shackle it's attached to when power is applied. That stops the axle wrap and prevents the pinion from rotating.

When the suspension moves up and down, around an arc set by the fixed end of the leaf springs, the distance between the axle-end and frame-end of the ladder bar will change. This would lead to binding, fighting the arc that the leaf spring wants to move the axle in, except that the shackle on the end of the ladder bar fixes that issue. The shackle can pivot on at the frame, and let the distance between the axle-end and frame-end of the ladder bar change, relative to the frame. So you get the anti-wrap benefits of the ladder bar, and minimal interference with suspension movement.

It works reasonably well once it's setup, and the main downside (besides possible clearance issues) is the weight-transfer it can cause due to lifting/diving created by the ladderbar pulling/pushing on the frame (up and down). But for a leaf spring suspension, it's probably the best way to run soft-ish springs and eliminate axle wrap while retaining full suspension articulation. If you're going to run leaf springs, this is the farthest thing from an "abortion" when it comes to controlling axle wrap.

Another take on the same concept, but this one uses a non-standard shackle-end setup:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's an interesting setup. Almost sort of like a watts link except running along the vehicle.

With all that fab work and material why even have leaf springs ? Clearly the builder is skilled enough to do a triangualted 3 link or double triangulated 4 link.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I missed the shackle at the frame (it's just barely visible in the photo), but that is a bit overbuilt and looks like it might limit uptravel severely.

As to doing a triangulated 3 or 4 link setup: when you already have coil springs it's easy to triangulate, taking off leaf springs and putting on coils is much more work than just putting on a single piece to limit axle wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

jonathan posted:

With all that fab work and material why even have leaf springs ? Clearly the builder is skilled enough to do a triangualted 3 link or double triangulated 4 link.

My question exactly. Seems like a lot of work to do what could easily be accomplished by other means.