Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Declan MacManus posted:

"The first ballot is sacred. No one gets in on the first ballot. On the other hand, if you haven't already made it in to the hall of fame, I'm sure as poo poo not going to vote you in now."

what

Please, Noted Woman Beater Jay Mariotti, lecture us more on sacred things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

Texas Monthly is loving fantastic most of the time. If anybody's seen Bernie, this is the story that it's heavily based on. It's pro click even if you've never heard of the movie.

For some sports content, let's revisit this Rick Reilly turd from the beginning of the season.

I'm curious to see if he's going to attempt to backpedal on this, ignore it entirely, or attempt to take credit for Notre Dame's resurgence.

And now Deadspin, who purposely left Notre Dame out of their dumb weekly top 25 all season long and would largely refuse to even mention the name of the school in anything, has published an A-Z Hater's Guide to Notre Dame. You can guess how well written it is. Picked a good time to start riding the ND gravy train right when you know it will generate a ton of page views. I won't even link it here because I don't even want to give them the pageviews.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
on the other hand notre dame is loving terrible

midwat
May 6, 2007

So, ESPN's sourcing remains a total joke.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

on the other hand notre dame is loving terrible

Yeah upsetting Notre Dame fans is the increasingly rare instance of Deadspin doing something good.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Mahoning posted:

And now Deadspin, who purposely left Notre Dame out of their dumb weekly top 25 all season long and would largely refuse to even mention the name of the school in anything, has published an A-Z Hater's Guide to Notre Dame. You can guess how well written it is. Picked a good time to start riding the ND gravy train right when you know it will generate a ton of page views. I won't even link it here because I don't even want to give them the pageviews.

First-time Deadspin reader spotted

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I completely forgot until 5 minutes ago that USSMariner had a post make America's Best Sports Writing. It is, uh, a hell of a thing.

e: It's also the first time a blog won a spot in ABSW. And it's for a :goonsay: as all get-out post.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 29, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Here's a piece of long-form on the Lingerie Football League

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Here's a nice a bloo bloo QBs need to be good ol' boys piece about Kaepernick because he has... tattoos!!!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-28/colin-kaepernick-tattoos-49ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

Edit: apparently Benne posted this in NFL Week 14 N/V. Didnt check that thread first.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 30, 2012

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spoeank posted:

Here's a nice a bloo bloo QBs need to be good ol' boys piece about Kaepernick because he has... tattoos!!!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-28/colin-kaepernick-tattoos-49ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

Holy poo poo this is the new worst

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

Edit: apparently Benne posted this in NFL Week 14 N/V. Didnt check that thread first.

I can't even decide where to begin. Its the ourobos if lovely journalism.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Spoeank posted:

Hahaha I came to this thread to post this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2012-11-21/danica-patrick-dale-earnhardt-jr-nascar-most-popular-drivers

:psypop:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Um, I don't really follow nascar at all, but isn't Dale Jr. consistently a top-10 guy? Like doesn't he make it into the Chase dealy every year? That seems fairly successful.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spoeank posted:

It certainly belongs here and not everyone reads all the weekly N/V threads, so keep posting in the relevant non-N/V threads

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

stuart scott irl posted:

Speaking of probable Redditors I guess Pete Abraham is angling at redemption

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

I kind of get the point he's angling for, but to me it just reads, "I'm really loving lazy and I can't be bothered to do some research on who I'm voting in the Hall of Fame."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jackie D posted:

Um, I don't really follow nascar at all, but isn't Dale Jr. consistently a top-10 guy? Like doesn't he make it into the Chase dealy every year? That seems fairly successful.

Since 2004 he's won 4 races. Since 2007 Jimmie Johnson has won 5 overall championships.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Since 2004 he's won 4 races. Since 2007 Jimmie Johnson has won 5 overall championships.

5 in a row no less!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spoeank posted:

When even the usually terrible commenters realize how awful and racist you are, you know you've crossed a line.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Update on the Colin Kaepernick article: per Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer, Alex Smith, who was replaced by Kaepernick, has at least one tattoo. That takes it to another level

Also, Gregg Rosenthal wrote a pretty good follow up to it, wherein he quotes Ma and Pa Kaepernick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000103126/article/colin-kaepernicks-parents-dismiss-tattoo-criticism

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 1, 2012

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, but does it show with a game jersey on??

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Spoeank posted:

Update on the Colin Kaepernick article: per Matt Barrows, 49ers beat writer, Alex Smith, who was replaced by Kaepernick, has at least one tattoo. That takes it to another level

Also, Gregg Rosenthal wrote a pretty good follow up to it, wherein he quotes Ma and Pa Kaepernick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000103126/article/colin-kaepernicks-parents-dismiss-tattoo-criticism
Who cares about the dumb tattoos, it's that ugly goatee he should be criticized for.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Tattoos are great. The high school closest to my house has 9th graders with full sleeves. It's hilarious.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Things Peter King will steal to pad his sports column:

-baseballs from small children
-factoids from better sports writers
-twitter feeds from dead shooting victims

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121217/week-15/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

(go to Page 4)

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 17, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Classical has an oral history of Fire Joe Morgan that's a fun read. Parts II and III are coming later in the week.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

You had me at hello.

Good first entry; very excited for the next two parts of the series.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

The Classical has an oral history of Fire Joe Morgan that's a fun read. Parts II and III are coming later in the week.

All three parts are up now, but all of you are morally obligated to go read the FJM Supercross post right now.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
This is my favorite FJM post.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

All three parts are up now, but all of you are morally obligated to go read the FJM Supercross post right now.

Yeah this one is the best and I had somehow completely forgotten about it. The best part of that Oral History is that it's inspired me to dive back into the FJM archives.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

quote:

"Whether viewing superbike races on TV or from the grandstands or paddock, you will never find one of us screaming "You suck!" at a racer."

Just kind of letting that soak a little bit.

Perhaps it's because it's not as mainstream as other motorsports, but I can attest that booing, or the type of behavior he's describing is pretty common place in any mainstream racing series, worldwide in fact. Just ask any NASCAR fan about Jimmie Johnson, Formula 1 fan about Sebastian Vettel or IndyCar fans about the RedCars.

What a moron.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 21, 2012

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

I think I like the Superbike one better overall, but I remember this paragraph from the first time I read this article, and it's still amazing today:

quote:

You are telling me that you needed to hire someone to tell you that Greg Maddux might be a good pitcher? I mean, the guy is old, but...he's Greg Maddux. You play in Dodger Stadium, which is pretty friendly to pitchers, generally. He's Greg Maddux. You needed a 70 year-old scout, with all of his accumulated baseball knowledge, to tell you that Greg Maddux might help your team? He's Greg Maddux.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The sheer WTFness of the superbike piece is a sight to behold, but this paragraph in the Plaschke column evisceration always slays me:

quote:

Just like good scouts do. Good scouts never use scouting tools. They trust their goddamn eyes, and their guts, and their spleens. Why?

Because Old Hoss Radbourn was not discovered with a computer, dargbloomit! He was discovered because 130 year-old Petey "Garbageface" Krunkston, who had been a rookie league manager for 142 years and had seen a goddamn ballgame or two in his day, woke up one morning with a wart shaped like a flame on his left arm, and he turned to his wife of 186 years Edna Mae and he said, "The flame mole's back, darlin.' I's a gone and what been done and moseyed to the ballpark -- there's sure to be a great future prospect a-lurkin' about, iffin' the flame mole done appeared-a-mafied on m'arm!" And he did go down there t' ol' Brasston Park, and sure 'nuff, a 4 year-old Hoss Radbourn was thar, an' he was a-throwin' and a-hittin somethin' fierce! And bloogburrmit if Garbageface didn't sign that 4 year-old right then and there! And he became a Hall-of-Famer!!!!!

I can't get past "dargbloomit!" without laughing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Between this article about student athletes having mandatory finance checks which are probably violations to civil liberties, and his recent article on how truly lovely public stadium financing is, I'm starting to really like Patrick Hruby's Serious Issues articles.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40769854/

midwat
May 6, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Between this article about student athletes having mandatory finance checks which are probably violations to civil liberties, and his recent article on how truly lovely public stadium financing is, I'm starting to really like Patrick Hruby's Serious Issues articles.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40769854/

Every time I try to get into college football, I'm reminded that it's a kafkaesque, ludicrous nightmare.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

midwat posted:

Every time I try to get into college football, I'm reminded that it's a kafkaesque, ludicrous nightmare.

Yeah it's great, what else are you waiting for?

midwat
May 6, 2007

General Dog posted:

Yeah it's great, what else are you waiting for?

A decent team in the northeast.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

midwat posted:

Good luck with that.

Hruby's article is brilliant because, while he did a fair bit of original reporting, he basically indexed a dozen articles that all talked about the same thing in a more narrowed scope. It is a huge problem, but no journalist really took the time to step back (probably because MATH IZ HARD OKAY).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

midwat posted:

Cuse, UConn, and oh why even bother it's a dead zone for recruiting

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Declan MacManus posted:

Cuse, UConn, and oh why even bother it's a dead zone for recruiting

At least Cuse has been good in the past - it's not inconceivable that they could have a resurgence in the future. This year's team wasn't terrible, but that's really only because of the QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Syracuse retired #44 because they knew they would never again have anyone worthy of wearing it