Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Fet&Moi - Honni Soit Qui Mal Y Pense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZBFXMW3EA

video is :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Lets just agree there are lot of fantastic tunes in that set!

Will it spoil me posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but I heard it on NPR one night. It is deliciously gay and 80s.

http://soundcloud.com/diamondrings/diamond-rings-stand-my-ground

I've been posting Diamond Rings stuff here for a while now. His last two singles are fantastic and they also have videos:

Runway Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0K8ghU7JQ
I'm Just Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpK5cbM8TGU

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 26, 2012

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
http://soundcloud.com/brightshades/daft-punk-derezzed-bright-shades-rework

It's like derezzed except different! :science: (and awesome)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
http://albums.overwerk.com/album/after-hours

New Overwerk EP "After Hours" out now - pay what you want.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
Hey guys, I made a mix of mostly house/garage, let me know what you think:
https://soundcloud.com/thehippriest/november-2012-mix

theo parrish - took me all the way back
anthony naples - mad disrespect
breach & midland - 101
darling farah - body (jimmy edgar remix)
low jack - slow dance (geeeman remix)
jessie ware - no to love (george fitzgerald remix)
ejeca - horizon
bicep - getcha boi
mk feat. alana - love changes (12'' mix)
masters at work - gonna get back to you
r.i.p. productions - players
todd edwards - main vibe
tom trago - rise up
dusky - numerical
wk7 - do it yourself
ghosts on tape - no go
jam city - ...now we relate
delroy edwards - when the glue won't burn
marshall jefferson - mushrooms (justin martin remix)
tyree - acid over (piano mix)
f.p.i. projects - going back to my roots
omar-s - tonite (detroit mix)

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

psychicsecession posted:

Hey guys, I made a mix of mostly house/garage, let me know what you think:
https://soundcloud.com/thehippriest/november-2012-mix

theo parrish - took me all the way back
anthony naples - mad disrespect
breach & midland - 101
darling farah - body (jimmy edgar remix)
low jack - slow dance (geeeman remix)
jessie ware - no to love (george fitzgerald remix)
ejeca - horizon
bicep - getcha boi
mk feat. alana - love changes (12'' mix)
masters at work - gonna get back to you
r.i.p. productions - players
todd edwards - main vibe
tom trago - rise up
dusky - numerical
wk7 - do it yourself
ghosts on tape - no go
jam city - ...now we relate
delroy edwards - when the glue won't burn
marshall jefferson - mushrooms (justin martin remix)
tyree - acid over (piano mix)
f.p.i. projects - going back to my roots
omar-s - tonite (detroit mix)

Rules

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Recorded a live mix, lots of house, techno and disco. Have yourselves a listen

http://soundcloud.com/robmccallmixesmusic/rob-mccall-live-exit-11-25
Nina Kraviz - Ghetto Kraviz (Amine Edge edit)
Daniel Maloso - Control & Voltaje
MRKINI - Humedad (DJs Pareja rmx)
KiNK & Neville Watson - Metropole
Kikumoto Allstars - Jack the House
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash
Justin Martin - Chicken Tetrazzini
Duke Dumont - The Giver
Marlon D - Jesus Creates Sound (Astronomar remake)
Locked Groove - Keep Thorough
Peter Horrevorts - Crackhouse (Patrick Lindsey remix)
Basement Jaxx - Fly Life (xtra mix)
Angel Alanis - Do You Like the Way You Feel When You Shake?
PBR Streetgang - Mutoscope
Uner vs. Iranzo Lasia - Vor Haus
Mark Broom - Supersnout
Scuba - Talk Torque
Jee Day - Like A Child
T.E.E.D. - Your Love
DMerit - Stuck On You (Will Eastman remix)
Armand Van Helden - I Want Your Soul
Lionel Richie - All Night Long
Deetron - Crave (Deetron cRAVE Dub)
Olivine Juniper - Toenail Polish on Men
Will Eastman - Feelin (Nacey remix)
Chilly Gonzales - I Am Europe (Claude Von Stroke remix)
Sebastian ft. M.I.A. - C.T.F.O. (DMX Krew remix)

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Unreleased Russ Chimes, very niiiice.

http://soundcloud.com/russchimes/turn-me-out-annie-mac-special

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Adulterous Hitler posted:

http://albums.overwerk.com/album/after-hours

New Overwerk EP "After Hours" out now - pay what you want.

Really awesome. I knew I knew that Daybreak song from somewhere. It's from that GoPro Camera commercial.

Edit - Also somebody a few pages back linked a mix called Summer Leaves http://soundcloud.com/fukuyama/summer-leaves-august-mix by a duo called Fukuyama.

They've pretty much become one of my favourites since then. They've come out with a couple new mixes and a few new songs for anyone interested.

http://soundcloud.com/fukuyama/tracks

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 30, 2012

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

Well, you guys generally didn't like my first attempt with "Empty Avenue" so I'm trying once more to seek the approval of NMD goons :)

This one is called "Sacrifice"

http://youtu.be/oDh0SmupsLE?hd=1

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Instead of being offensively bad this one is just incredibly boring, so you're getting there.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

JAK3 posted:

Well, you guys generally didn't like my first attempt with "Empty Avenue" so I'm trying once more to seek the approval of NMD goons :)

I think it is a good thing that you're trying to get feedback on this so I figured I'd give your track a thorough rinsing.

Technically, you have some issues - the mix is a mess, your kicks get randomly louder in the mix, and everything sounds like it just isn't meshing very well. You should reconsider the mix and adjust levels so everything has a place in the track and doesn't sound like it is all over the room.

Autotuning is pretty much done. It sounds cheap, and that's amplified by the poor mix. Progression and arrangement could use some work as well, as it is just a little stale. I'd suggest recreating some of the tracks you like (just for fun) and making an honest attempt to get as close to that sound as possible. If you get stuck, ask around - it'll help you develop your songwriting and production skills.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
this just sounds like lovely owl city minus the production value

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah, you really don't need the auto-tune or whatever specific vocal manipulation that's going on there.

Personally I'd drop the angel voices and the whole lyrical-verse thing; add a field recording or some cool samples instead. (That second link is actually Breakbeat, but Pépé Bradock does make House music; I just wanted to give you a great example of a sample expressing thoughts as effectively as verses of lyrics.) Also, don't start your House/Electro track with a Fruity Loops/MIDI/Whatever acoustic guitar riff off the bat as it makes me think it's not a House/Electro track. Also, I feel at 2:25 when things drop off, they should actually drop off...not revert to the intro; this last complaint is more me nitpicking the song structure, so I'll stop now.

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

Thanks for the actual feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

The irony with this project is that I find myself needing a producer. I started my music career AS a producer working for other people, but with my own music I really think having an extra set of hands and ears would go a long way.

I actually spent a considerable amount of time working on the mix, and all of those tracks were played from scratch, the only loop is the acoustic guitar and I looped it myself. The sound of the track I think turned out quite brilliant, it has a dark sort of energy to it that I think fits the song. The kick drum does get louder during the chorus but that was by design to try and help boost the energy during those parts.

Also, I had "Empty Avenue" professionally mastered and intend to do the same with this song once I feel that I have truly finalized my mix. That should help everything sort of click into place I think.

If I had all the money in the world, I would totally hire someone to do my mixing for me. But as it is, I'm doing this project solely by myself, so it's difficult to get things to the level that they should be, all alone.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

JAK3 posted:

The sound of the track I think turned out quite brilliant, it has a dark sort of energy to it that I think fits the song. The kick drum does get louder during the chorus but that was by design to try and help boost the energy during those parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iv3fWREAf4&t=3m29s

This isn't really a good track at all, dude. It's clear that, while you may spend some time listening to dance music, you aren't really listening to it at all, because if you were, you'd know that your track is: a. not brilliant, and b. poorly executed. Never make a kick that gets louder, DJs will try to mix in it and think they have the levels set correctly then it will turn out that they didn't - bad idea. I also don't know what kind of dark energy you're talking about unless it's like some "playing folk guitar for the devil while im riding my horse away from a robbery in a generic movie" dark energy, which really isn't dark energy at all, but usually indicative of some issues relating to accepting yourself as a member of society etc, which in fact may be closer to the truth.

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

I don't make dance music.

Music as an artform seems to have this unique quality in that people always want to compare it to other musical works. When you see an abstract painting, you do not say "I think the blue parts should have been red" or look at a Picasso and say "That really doesn't look very much like a person."

Andy Warhol's art was a bit rubbish, don't you think? But wasn't it saying something? Did it not provoke a reaction? It didn't look like the work that Matisse created. Why do we do this with music but not with visual art?

JAK3 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 30, 2012

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

JAK3 posted:

Okay, so, uh, don't post it in the house thread.

quote:

Music as an artform seems to have this unique quality in that people always want to compare it to other musical works. When you see an abstract painting, you do not say "I think the blue parts should have been red" or look at a Picasso and say "That really doesn't look very much like a person."

(insert randy jackson saying "no" again) Do you listen to music?

quote:

Andy Warhol's art was a bit rubbish, don't you think? But wasn't it saying something? Did it not provoke a reaction? It didn't look like the work that Matisse created. Why do we do this with music but not with visual art?

This is possibly one of the most arrogant defenses of making terrible music that I've ever read. Of course, you're also saying that Warhol was terrible, but seeing as how you don't consider your own music dance music then maybe you don't get the visual arts as well (I mean, I really should have figured that out sooner, given your videos anyway)

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

This thread is called "The House/Electro/Synth and accompanying genres megathread"

I'm sorry that you don't like my music, but that's ok, because it's art. There's a lot of art that I don't like too.

Art is subjective, but art criticism must be objective in order for it to be valid. The only actual feedback that I've received from you guys has been the person who told my that my mix could be better. That's factual, not opinion. Your opinions are valuable to me, but I recognize them as being opinions.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Edit:^^^^
Nice man.

JAK3 posted:

Clearly

JAK3 posted:

You can have abstract art that is aesthetically pleasing. You can have art that may not be as good technically, but makes a big or great enough statement that it doesn't matter so much that the art may not have been at the highest level. Your music doesn't fall under either of those categories. Its boring, not that well produced (at least not this most recent song), and its not particularly creative. Its just not that good.

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

I'm feeding into this a lot more than I should, but are there any actual reasons why my music is boring and poorly produced? Or is that just your opinion of it?

My feelings aren't hurt that I'm getting some negative reactions here, but I have to admit that it gets kind of annoying to be told "This is bad" but no actual reasons why. Boring? What does boring mean? Are you aware of the possibility that while you may find it to be boring, there is someone else out there who thinks it's a work of genius? I'm not saying that my work is genius, but you are aware of this possibility right?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

JAK3 posted:

My feelings aren't hurt that I'm getting some negative reactions here, but I have to admit that it gets kind of annoying to be told "This is bad" but no actual reasons why.

I laid it out for you pretty clearly.

I'm not quite sure what you expect. You have all of this media and you're putting this forward as some sort of final product (as in it is on an album and there's some finality to that) - but the simple truth is that you have a lot of room for growth. All producers do. I have a long way to go. You aren't making something avant garde - you're making electronic music. Being technically bad or lo-fi works when the rest is perfect. Your track exhibits poor creative and technical aspects.

You're lucky that some people in this thread aren't just telling you to gently caress off and die. You're getting legitimate feedback. I wish more people gave me that time of day when I was coming up - it would have saved me from a sea of mediocre releases.

If it was good, more people would tell you that. But they aren't - and even if they were, there's still room for it to be better. Stop posting things asking for feedback then getting needlessly defensive.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

JAK3 posted:

I'm feeding into this a lot more than I should, but are there any actual reasons why my music is boring and poorly produced? Or is that just your opinion of it?

My feelings aren't hurt that I'm getting some negative reactions here, but I have to admit that it gets kind of annoying to be told "This is bad" but no actual reasons why. Boring? What does boring mean? Are you aware of the possibility that while you may find it to be boring, there is someone else out there who thinks it's a work of genius? I'm not saying that my work is genius, but you are aware of this possibility right?

I am not aware of this possibility.

In my opinion this song is boring because of
1. The Vocals- Autotune is overworked and overused. You're not treading any new or creative ground at all with it. At this point its a sign of a lack of creativity more than anything else. The ethereal vocals aren't terribly offensive other than being too loud in the beginning, but they're also not that great.

2. The Instrumental-The Guitar loop is just the same loop the entire song. Its not even a particularly interesting loop :cmon: And when the other parts of the instrumental come in the first time, you keep it in a limbo where its neither gone, nore truly present. You made it work better in the second buildup though so congrats I guess. The kick does that weird getting louder thing that only distracts from the rest of the instrumental, and the drums that aren't the kick in there are just too quiet. The rest of the instrumental isn't too bad, it just at times doesn't go well with itself, if you can understand what I'm saying. From the beginning to about 40 seconds in it actually works well, but then it loses something when the rest of the instrumental comes in.

3. The Energy- You seem to be saying that it has some sort of dark energy to it, but it doesn't. Basically this:

a milk crime posted:

I also don't know what kind of dark energy you're talking about unless it's like some "playing folk guitar for the devil while im riding my horse away from a robbery in a generic movie" dark energy, which really isn't dark energy at all, but usually indicative of some issues relating to accepting yourself as a member of society etc, which in fact may be closer to the truth.

From the way you talk about it, it seems you have a pretty solid idea of what you are going for, which is a good start. I think you should maybe listen to more tracks that sound like what you want to be making, and then as melee said, try recreating them or something like it.

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

dj bobby bieber posted:

I laid it out for you pretty clearly.

I'm not quite sure what you expect. You have all of this media and you're putting this forward as some sort of final product (as in it is on an album and there's some finality to that) - but the simple truth is that you have a lot of room for growth. All producers do. I have a long way to go. You aren't making something avant garde - you're making electronic music. Being technically bad or lo-fi works when the rest is perfect. Your track exhibits poor creative and technical aspects.

You're lucky that some people in this thread aren't just telling you to gently caress off and die. You're getting legitimate feedback. I wish more people gave me that time of day when I was coming up - it would have saved me from a sea of mediocre releases.

If it was good, more people would tell you that. But they aren't - and even if they were, there's still room for it to be better. Stop posting things asking for feedback then getting needlessly defensive.

Nah I wasn't talking about you. Like I said in one of my posts, you were the one who gave me useful feedback. You're pretty much the only dude whose response was valid to me in any way.

I know that I have a lot of room for growth, and this particular song is still probably 90% mixed and hasn't been mastered yet. My experiences with Empty Avenue was that the professional master that I paid for (I had always tried to just half-assed master tracks myself previously) made a huge difference to the final product and that song was honestly decently well received by people despite the few attempts of trolling on my YouTube channel (some of these were actually really funny and I enjoyed them)

I'm making an amateur mistake by replying so much to the feedback in this thread. I realize this, it's something that I am quite self-aware of in addition to the rest of the things people say about my music. "Boring" is getting used a lot , and I am ok with that term as well because I myself consider my general sound to be somewhat monochromatic. In response to the very frequent "too much autotune" and "can't understand the lyrics" , I have this to say : The effect is intentional, has been given years of thought and research (getting into pretentious sounding territory now but this is hard to avoid as an artist or anyone in any field really talking about their work publicly) -- I consider my voice to be an additional instrument / synth sound in my music, I do not and have not ever considered myself to be a "singer" and have never presented myself as being such. I view my music as being the sort of thing that you can just put on ambiently in the background and maybe vibe to some stuff in it that perks your ears up from time to time. In the context of listening to the full album (there are 13 songs in various stages of production at this point and the album as a whole makes a lot more sense than these individual songs I've been putting out) and the web/visual experience that will accompany it along with a real REAL music video (Empty Avenue was basically me loving around with Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects) will help to bring it all together into what I think is going to be a pretty unique direction for a self-proclaimed "pop" artist to go.

I'm not really comfortable with labels or genres in general, but the two that I have used are "electronic" and "pop" - I have never described my music as being "dance music" , "house music" or any sub-genre of just plain ol' electronic. The pop element comes into play with my overall career goals - I want to be right up there alongside the top 40 darlings but I am not aiming for my music itself to compete with any of them. I see a much bigger picture than just the music, and I feel that I have a lot of interesting artistic concepts to express once given the forum to do so. I do not think that my music itself is my biggest or best asset. It is simply the first of many vehicles of public self-expression that I am choosing to pursue.

This was a lot of words to say about myself, and I may regret every word of it (I've been with these forums for many many years and I have a firm grasp of the overall tone and paradigm of the forums I'm posting in) but I guess I was probably looking for a reason to say all of this because I think that this project is something that is best understood when let in on the bigger concept behind it. I'm still in the very early processes of this album and everything that will accompany it, and I didn't mean to sound defensive or cocky or pretentious (but once again this is hard not to do in this sort of situation). I appreciate the feedback and I hope that I haven't turned anyone off too badly with all of this. If the world will give me a chance and stop trying to put labels and comparisons on everything, I think there could be some enjoyable things to come from it.

JAK3 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 30, 2012

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I think that writing stuff like that is only increasing your humiliation.

What stands out to me about both the track & the accompanying visuals is the amateurishness-- likw you simply don't know your craft very well, and you're still in that early phase where you're dazzled by the fact that when you put together a kick, some vague breathy singing, and the world's blandest MTV Music Generator acoustic guitar, the result is a song. That's a cool feeling but it's an intrinsically self-directed one. No one else can feel that for you. Likewise, your views on your own work aren't gonna affect anyone else's.

I wanna warn you against a couple things:

quote:

The effect is intentional, has been given years of thought and research

That's not thought, that's fantasizing. It doesn't count outside your own head. So is this:

quote:

my overall career goals - I want to be right up there alongside the top 40 darlings but I am not aiming for my music itself to compete with any of them. I see a much bigger picture than just the music, and I feel that I have a lot of interesting artistic concepts to express once given the forum to do so.

Come on man. That is like "reading Rolling Stone and imagining what you would say to the interview questions" level poo poo. You already have a forum to express your concepts, and either you didn't succeed or they're not interesting.

Just work more. Make more music and grow artistically, instead of explaining why you don't need to. get rid of your stolen-rear end logo.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Your graphics/imagery look like something off an underground darkwave goth promotion flyer circa 1998.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAK3 posted:

Art is subjective, but art criticism must be objective in order for it to be valid.

Why? Subjective criticism makes up a rather large portion of art criticism and I see no reason to discount its validity as a whole.

quote:

Music as an artform seems to have this unique quality in that people always want to compare it to other musical works

Have you ever actually read any criticism of visual art? Do you seriously not think that visual artists are frequently compared with each other and their work held in the context of particular schools, styles, and scenes just like with music?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JAK3 posted:

Why do you think his art was "a bit rubbish," because it didn't require a great deal of work/technical virtuosity? Because that argument pretty much invariably betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of visual art. Either way, you aren't Andy Warhol. Also I guess you're trying to say that we don't hold visual art to as high a standard as music? That it's not possible for unpolished music that doesn't display a lot of "skill" to be enjoyed? Because that isn't true, it absolutely is, plenty of music that lots of people enjoy is raggedy and/or simplistic, sometimes it works as part of an aesthetic and sometimes it works because the songs are simply really good. The difference with you is that your songs aren't good. It's funny to watch you come up with justifications for why you really are just as good as anything else and how we just don't Get your art but no dude, it just isn't good.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

JAK3 posted:

I know that I have a lot of room for growth, and this particular song is still probably 90% mixed and hasn't been mastered yet.

Here's your first amateur mistake. Mastering doesn't fix bad mixes. Your tracks should sound 99% complete from a sonic standpoint before going to mastering. Mastering should make small changes that ensures the proper playback on in an assortment of environments. It does NOT mean fixing a bad mix.

JAK3 posted:

My experiences with Empty Avenue was that the professional master that I paid for (I had always tried to just half-assed master tracks myself previously) made a huge difference to the final product and that song was honestly decently well received by people despite the few attempts of trolling on my YouTube channel (some of these were actually really funny and I enjoyed them)

Again, if mastering is making a huge difference, something is wrong.

JAK3 posted:

I'm making an amateur mistake by replying so much to the feedback in this thread.

You're making a professional mistake by spending time writing long defenses instead of looking at your art and analyzing what could be better and how.

JAK3 posted:

In response to the very frequent "too much autotune" and "can't understand the lyrics" , I have this to say : The effect is intentional, has been given years of thought and research (getting into pretentious sounding territory now but this is hard to avoid as an artist or anyone in any field really talking about their work publicly) -- I consider my voice to be an additional instrument / synth sound in my music, I do not and have not ever considered myself to be a "singer" and have never presented myself as being such.

It is probably because you aren't a singer that you use autotune. Are you familiar with how autotune works? The nitty-gritty details? It tracks the pitch of the incoming source of audio, then shifts it into key. In order to do that, it has to fill in the out of tune notes by using synthesis. We hear that shift as artifacting. It takes all of the natural qualities out of the vocal instrument, and from a psychological standpoint, we're starting to tune it out because of overexposure. The artifacting sounds the same across all uses. There's nothing creative about it - if you want to be creative, work with a vocoder or talkbox. The latter can actually maintain the natural instrumental qualities of your voice while having things like formants.

JAK3 posted:

I think is going to be a pretty unique direction for a self-proclaimed "pop" artist to go.

Again, as someone who has been through this before, you're putting the cart before the horse. You don't have anything that is even single-quality, let alone an entire album + visual type of thing. It's nice to have an overall vision, but focus on one thing at a time and perfecting that first. The rest will come more naturally.

JAK3 posted:

The pop element comes into play with my overall career goals - I want to be right up there alongside the top 40 darlings but I am not aiming for my music itself to compete with any of them.

You aren't going to break into pop. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. I've known some extremely talented people who make solid pop music that still aren't breaking into pop, not even at the indie level. It's a game of making what is hot right now mixed with random and total luck. You aren't even in the ballpark with what you're making. Your progressions and songwriting aren't pop-oriented.

You are poorly disillusioned and chasing a musical fantasy (you call it a career) - you're setting yourself up for massive failure. If you love making music, just focus on that and perfecting your craft. Don't get caught up with chasing stars or some other bullshit.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Back to real music for a moment,

Awkoder - Your Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEhIFy_eL0

Absolutely love the 80s italo-disco thing that's happening these days.

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

^

Most of that was in response to very misinterpreted quotes. I'm not going to correct them lest I be labeled as "defensive" , but just know that most of that was A. things I already know and B. just plain invalid because my initial quote was heavily misunderstood by you.

I am not a guy who just got a Macbook Pro and started loving around with Garageband. I'm not just hitting some lovely generic "pitch correction" button and grinning at the fact that I sound like that T-Pain feller. For the record I don't even use Antares Autotune, I use the Neptune function in Reason 6.5 and I play my voice through a MIDI controller so yes I am familiar with the nitty-gritty details of pitch correction and voice synthesis. These are by no means my first forays into music. I have been studying, practicing, learning, and experimenting with and about music for going on 8 years now. I have my obligatory first horrible "albums" that will never see the light of day and make me cringe to listen to all these years later. I've done the shifts in style and direction that come with years of experience. I am actually quite well educated on music and the music industry itself.

This is not me dipping my toes into trying this whole music thing. This is the result of many years of many different musical projects - it's my first official album, but by no means did I just fall off of the turnip truck, so to speak. I appreciate your elder statesman position with all of this, and you have some great thoughts about it all, but please realize that I put a massive amount of deep thought into every aspect of this, including and even particularly, the "am I a disillusioned Tommy Wiseau-esque fool?" -- I think about this stuff very very very much.

I'm done talking about it and trying to justify myself. Of course I have room to grow. I grow every time I work on a track or write a new song. This entire album has been a growing experience and I am truly just getting started in the public eye but I am not new to this by any stretch of the imagination.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Dude, you suck. You'll never be famous. Learn to live with it.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JAK3 posted:

This is not me dipping my toes into trying this whole music thing. This is the result of many years of many different musical projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zItWEsGHf0

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

Yes, that's a good example to illustrate the things I said in my previous post. Note that the Space Mask video was created and posted 5 years ago.

Edit: Like, are you all really under the impression that I look at things like the song you just posted and think "Yep, that's pretty good stuff!" ??? If so, you are misinformed. If I had a million dollars for every lovely LoonaSik song I did that ISN'T up on YouTube, then I would be doing pretty well. That video is there as an example of the very growth and shifts in direction that I mentioned. I -recognize- and think the same thoughts that you guys are thinking about this stuff. It's all there for a reason.

I'm not as deep into fantasy land as you seem to think I am.

JAK3 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2012

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

JAK3 posted:

I'm not as deep into fantasy land as you seem to think I am.

You really are. Your sound hasn't evolved much from that video from five years ago. Probably because you ask for feedback but don't actually listen to other's critique.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
It's difficult for someone to tear down an identity they've built for themselves for many years such as a DJ or Producer. Though, JAK3, you're not taking criticism very well. Good luck trying to make all your dreams come true.

Anyway, I came to post this video, it's older but it's a sweet song and the video is :nws: but it's also fantastic. Has it been mentioned? Sebastian Tellier is a relatively new discovery for me.

https://vimeo.com/40291506

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

HTML5 posted:

Anyway, I came to post this video, it's older but it's a sweet song and the video is :nws: but it's also fantastic. Has it been mentioned? Sebastian Tellier is a relatively new discovery for me.

https://vimeo.com/40291506

Good song and the album is pretty solid as well

JAK3
Nov 15, 2012

This is truly the last thing I am going to say about all of this: It's not that I am not listening to the opinions, methods, techniques that have been given here in this thread. I never once have said anything to the effect of "I'm not changing anything" or "No that's wrong" - I haven't gotten personally offended by anything said here, and honestly? To try and say that I'm not taking criticism very well or that I don't listen to feedback is just ludicrous. Just because I want to make everything very clear about what I'm trying to do doesn't mean that I am not ALSO listening and taking note of the things that I'm being told to do. When Sacrifice is legitimately released, the guitar loop will be replaced with actual real guitar with more interesting progressions, played by a guitarist, and the drum track and vocals will be tweaked, all thanks to the tips given to me in this thread.

There's been a lot of misunderstanding here today, just because I like to talk about what I'm doing and take it very seriously and have a lot to say about it doesn't mean that I am trying to justify or defend anything that I'm doing wrong. I think I have been pretty open with you all about all of this. Thanks for listening to what I've had to say about it all. There are no hard feelings on my end whatsoever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAK3 posted:

To try and say that I'm not taking criticism very well or that I don't listen to feedback is just ludicrous.

People say this because you respond to criticism with a bunch of complete bullshit complaining about how music is always compared to other musical works (which is not, in any way, unique to music criticism - nor is there anything wrong with it) and how art criticism must be "objective in order to be valid" which sure as hell looks like an attempt to invalidate any criticism you don't want to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

JAK3 posted:

This is the result of many years of many different musical projects - it's my first official album, but by no means did I just fall off of the turnip truck, so to speak.

...I am not new to this by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been reading up the last few catching up, just out of curiosity how old are you man? On one hand you are trying to come off as a seasoned pro who has been around the block and knows what is going on, then on the other hand I am wondering if you are barely in your 20's and struggling to get a break of some sort.