Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

DrPepperholik posted:

At work is the only time I really sit for a long time in a seat like a normal person, at home I curl up on the couch/love seat and frequently get up to do things. While at work I try to go to the bathroom that's the farthest away so I can get up and move a bit. Unfortunately I don't have an exercise bike or elliptical to use but I could go for walks in the building. :( Sadly I can't remember what I might have done the other day that could have contributed to the horrible feeling yesterday but like I said today isn't bad.

My allergy meds are non-drowsy which is good but not. I go back in a week so I'll ask them, I hate to bother them all the time for small questions that aren't emergencies.

I forgot to add congrats on being pregnant!

Changing positions often is good, does your work have height adjustable desks? If so you could try standing for a bit too (although that might be uncomfortable too - I'm at 30 weeks now, and I prefer to only stand upright for short intervals :P

In my experience, hip pain, like heartburn, tend to come and go a bit. I can have bad hip pain for a while and then it gets better for a while. Maybe it's something to do with the baby having growth spurts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

rectal cushion posted:

I forgot to add congrats on being pregnant!

Changing positions often is good, does your work have height adjustable desks? If so you could try standing for a bit too (although that might be uncomfortable too - I'm at 30 weeks now, and I prefer to only stand upright for short intervals :P

In my experience, hip pain, like heartburn, tend to come and go a bit. I can have bad hip pain for a while and then it gets better for a while. Maybe it's something to do with the baby having growth spurts?

Thanks! I'm in a cube, I can adjust the height of my desk but only so much and there's no way I can do it I'd have to get someone to do it for me because the desk surface is attached to the cube wall with screws and stuff plus my monitors, keyboard, phone cords etc is on that section that would need to move. It seems like more trouble than it's worth to just move it only to need to move it back in a week or two when that becomes problematic. I can however adjust my seat as I please.

I was wondering if it had something to do with growth. I just reached 27 weeks yesterday and experienced the ungodly pain yesterday afternoon. When I got home it was much better. Today is tender and no where near as bad as yesterday. I just got back to my desk and instinctively sat down by curling my left ankle under my right thigh. Perhaps that position twists the hips a bit? Has Tylenol or anything helped with hip pain? I've been thinking of anything that could be causing problems, the way I sit, the way I walk and have been super attuned to those things today to see if I can pick up anything unusual. I was also feeling a lot of pressure in the lower area of my abdomen yesterday and the day before too which has passed now, so maybe it is growth spurt related.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Lullabee posted:

Congrats on all the babies born and pregnancies! And thanks for the birthing suggestions. Getting a library card and getting some books this weekend.

I'm plus size/obese/whatever you wish to call it, and started getting hip pains around 27 weeks - walking helped me a ton (just getting up and moving after sitting for a while), and the occasional Tylenol. I was told its just my body prepping for birth. Have you tried pillows to stop yourself from rolling over? I'm almost 30 weeks and always was a flip/flopper in bed, but when I put a pillow under my stomach last night, I barely moved. Just a suggestion. :)

I have a body pillow I will sometimes use if I'm having trouble getting comfy but I get very hot when I sleep, my husband calls me an oven and I'm afraid I'll burn up, I've had to convince him to let me turn the thermostat down to 66 at night. I'm not rolling per se as much as I'm flopping. I've never been a roller, I can't stand my pj's getting twisted.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Oh god I am having the worst gas today :( Is there anything I can do about it or am I doomed to just be farting all night? I didn't eat anything unusual today and all I've drank is tea and water, wtf gassy guts?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'm sorry, you're going to be gassy forever :(

Really, being pregnant does a number on your guts. I started belching for the first time while pregnant and it shows no signs of stopping.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Ben Davis posted:

I'm sorry, you're going to be gassy forever :(

Really, being pregnant does a number on your guts. I started belching for the first time while pregnant and it shows no signs of stopping.

Holy poo poo it does...besides still being constantly nauseous, I randomly burp/burp up stomach juice/hiccup.

It's like my body's way of making sure I don't get any for another 9+ months.

11 weeks tomorrow...So close to 12, so close to 12!! I can almost taste the freedom of feeling slightly better. :cry: This has been horrible. I better get one hell of an adorable and snuggly baby out of this ordeal. :colbert:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Dandy Shrew posted:

Oh god I am having the worst gas today :( Is there anything I can do about it or am I doomed to just be farting all night? I didn't eat anything unusual today and all I've drank is tea and water, wtf gassy guts?

Best get used to your guts doing all sorts of things you don't want them to. I get lactose intolerant when pregnant, if I want to even look at dairy I have to take a Lactaid first (but steamed milk is okay, yay chai) or else it's a painful trip to the john.

I'm so screwed this pregnancy for weight gain, I can't even look at my usual healthy snacks without going "blehhh" but rice krispy treats? Delicious! I cannot wait for this wretched first trimester to be over. Add to the complete energy sap and I could be eating some healthy veggies but I'm just too lazy to cut them up. =/

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Thank you for the reassurance about the cramps! After sneaking glances at the pregnancy test all day it's starting to feel a little bit less imaginary. I've got a blood test on Monday to find out for sure.

Does anyone know how they calculate how far along you are if you have irregular cycles? My last period was seven weeks ago, but I think I only ovulated like two weeks ago, so... am I four weeks pregnant or seven?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Seven for a Secret posted:

Thank you for the reassurance about the cramps! After sneaking glances at the pregnancy test all day it's starting to feel a little bit less imaginary. I've got a blood test on Monday to find out for sure.

Does anyone know how they calculate how far along you are if you have irregular cycles? My last period was seven weeks ago, but I think I only ovulated like two weeks ago, so... am I four weeks pregnant or seven?

Once you go to the doctor's office and you're far enough along (7-8 weeks) to measure the embryo you'll get a better due date/ accurate number of weeks/days you're along.

My Dr. originally said I was farther along than I was because my periods are irregular too.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Seven for a Secret posted:

You'd be four. The pregnancy dating based on your last period assumes you ovulate on day 14 of your cycle. So, technically, based on pregnancy dating, at the time of ovulation/conception you are two weeks pregnant.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Lyz posted:

Best get used to your guts doing all sorts of things you don't want them to. I get lactose intolerant when pregnant, if I want to even look at dairy I have to take a Lactaid first (but steamed milk is okay, yay chai) or else it's a painful trip to the john.

I'm lactose intolerant to begin with, so whatever with that, but I'm 24 weeks and this is the first time I've just been overrun with gassiness with no apparent cause. I, naively, thought I had escaped, since I only had morning sickness for about 5 weeks. Oh well. I have 2 boston terriers, so I can just blame it on one of them and it won't be questioned.

Also, this thread convinced me to get a maternity body pillow. Holy poo poo, how have I lived without one? It cuts down on the hip pain SO MUCH!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Dandy Shrew posted:

I'm lactose intolerant to begin with, so whatever with that, but I'm 24 weeks and this is the first time I've just been overrun with gassiness with no apparent cause. I, naively, thought I had escaped, since I only had morning sickness for about 5 weeks. Oh well. I have 2 boston terriers, so I can just blame it on one of them and it won't be questioned.

Also, this thread convinced me to get a maternity body pillow. Holy poo poo, how have I lived without one? It cuts down on the hip pain SO MUCH!

I had really painful gas issues from like 23-26 weeks, then it magically got better. Also I loving love my boppy maternity body pillow, best $50 I ever spent.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dandy Shrew posted:

Hip pain?! You have my attention! I totally woke up in the middle of the night last night because my left hip was hurting while laying on my left side. A few posts back I was asking about hip pain and I don't know the cause. Does it help with hip pain because part of it is between your knees?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Everyone feels some sort of joint pain during pregnancy. Your body produces the hormone relaxin to help your pelvis joint soften up and stretch during birth. The downside is that the hormone acts on all the joints, not just the ones that need to relax for the birth. It's normal and it's unfun, but it's par for the course. Also, you're likely carrying around extra weight in a not so ergonomic manner. It's going to put some stress on your body.

tl;dr get some pillows, some tylenol and wait it out.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is a bit gross but has anyone ever had a problem with a really manky taste in their mouth during pregnancy? I feel like I'm constantly brushing my teeth but it feels like my mouth is filled with horrible sludge within an hour.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

DrPepperholik posted:

Hip pain?! You have my attention! I totally woke up in the middle of the night last night because my left hip was hurting while laying on my left side. A few posts back I was asking about hip pain and I don't know the cause. Does it help with hip pain because part of it is between your knees?

I have a bum left hip (without getting too much into it; my mother let me walk on a dislocated hip for a year when I was 9-10 because faith healers are more trustworthy than doctors :jerkbag:) so laying on my left side was not my favourite BEFORE I got pregnant, but since it's the best position to lie in apparently, I tried to anyway. I used regular pillows between my knees to keep my hips more aligned and take the pressure off, but I'd still wake up with my hip locked and sore. I ended up getting this and it really has helped with both the hip and the back pain. I still have to take paracetamol every now and then, but it's a noticeable improvement and well worth the money, in my opinion :)

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is a bit gross but has anyone ever had a problem with a really manky taste in their mouth during pregnancy? I feel like I'm constantly brushing my teeth but it feels like my mouth is filled with horrible sludge within an hour.

I've noticed my teeth feel kind of grody a lot sooner after brushing than they used to, but if I drink peppermint tea after brushing my teeth in the morning, it seems to help. Ymmv

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Thanks guys! I'll try getting a pillow. I'm feeling normal walking around today which is weird but I won't be complaining. :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I had disgusting metal mouth for the entire first trimester. The only thing that (very slightly) helped was sour candies.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Schweig und tanze posted:

I had disgusting metal mouth for the entire first trimester. The only thing that (very slightly) helped was sour candies.

I attribute this to my prenatal, but I could be wrong. The iron in them gives them a definite metal taste and it lingers for me! It's gone now for the most part.

Seconding Schweig above, I cannot get enough sour. I joke that I have scurvy, because I crave citrus like no tomorrow. I'm eating a box of popsicles every couple days, and my mouth is so sore because of it! I thankfully haven't had morning sickness (more of a general all the time nausea) but I eat those Preggie Pop Drops for the sour taste all the time.

sudont fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 30, 2012

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

sudont posted:

I attribute this to my prenatal, but I could be wrong. The iron in them gives them a definite metal taste and it lingers for me! It's gone now for the most part.

I took my prenatals at night, right as I was going to bed. I'm sure I still got weird metallic burps and nausea, but I was asleep so I didn't notice!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

I've been getting cravings for pineapple, which I thought was a citrus fruit to be honest but google says no.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2017

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Amykinz posted:

I took my prenatals at night, right as I was going to bed. I'm sure I still got weird metallic burps and nausea, but I was asleep so I didn't notice!

Yep! This is why I take mine at night too!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Lullabee posted:

Any tricks to getting little ones out of rib cages? Since about 25 weeks, my little man has just adored my ribcage to the point where I can't breath, because his heads in my sternum while his feet tickle/kick my cervix. I tried pushing, and he just moves right back.

I had my kiddo's feet pounding on my poor bellybutton for months, and I agree that poo poo sucks. I recommend doing some cat/cow yoga moves or trying the various inversion exercises they have on SpinningBabies.com.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I've been getting cravings for pineapple, which I thought was a citrus fruit to be honest but google says no.

Some of the only real cravings I've had were pineapple and oranges, and that was when I was ~12ish weeks along. Really though any fresh, juicy fruit would hit the spot. Now at 29 weeks it's berries, I can't get enough of them. And apple juice :)

Re metallic taste and vitamins, my prenatals didnt have iron in them (was taking the gummies, now I'm taking Flintstones with iron and calcium) and I still had metal mouth. It's a hormonal thing.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Yes, god yes. It's terrible. It doesn't taste like metal to me, it's just like a horrible staleness. It does not help the nausea at all either. Mint gum is the only thing that helps me so far, but popsicles and sour candies sound amazing as well. I also have a chamomile and mint tea that seems to help for a little bit. I'm not a huge fan of mint at all, but I'd rather have that taste than the sewer sludge taste.

Goobish fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 1, 2012

Callisto
Feb 6, 2005
What The Shit?!
I too have a weird taste in my mouth a lot of the time. Early on I got Preggie Pops, but since they're a little on the pricey side I switched to Jolly Ranchers. They really help and they're not quite as sour. I thought the Preggie Pops were too sour for me.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
Hey, sorry to join in so late but too be honest, all people in the "real world" want to converse with me about is my pregnancy, so I really tried to avoid it at home because talking about it 24/7 is irritating. But, I do have some questions though now and I'm ready to help encourage anyone I can.:)

Background info: I am 24 weeks pregnant.

I'm still reading through this thread, but I guess here are some questions I have: 1) Is it normal to just randomly get sick after eating something this late in the game? I find if I eat certain veggies or fruits still, I just am overcome with nausea and have to expel it...which is odd, since my morning sickness is minimal. 2)Is upper jaw pain a common pregnancy symptom or is this serious? I've never had jaw pain before, but off and on my upper jaw feels as if I was impaled with a baseball bat. And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking? I literally had a woman inject her finger into my belly button yesterday at the grocery store. I had never met her. :psyduck: It's just frustrating..it's as if once you're pregnant you cease to be a person...you're just a vessel.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
With the jaw pain, do you have any cold symptoms? Pregnancy hormones cause swelling and congestion in the nose and sinus region. Your upper jaw pain could be referred pain from sinus pressure. I'm at 23 weeks and for my whole pregnancy I've had what feels like a cold off and on, including sinus pressure that makes my upper teeth ache. I use a saline spray to help with the congestion.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

An Cat Dubh posted:

With the jaw pain, do you have any cold symptoms? Pregnancy hormones cause swelling and congestion in the nose and sinus region. Your upper jaw pain could be referred pain from sinus pressure. I'm at 23 weeks and for my whole pregnancy I've had what feels like a cold off and on, including sinus pressure that makes my upper teeth ache. I use a saline spray to help with the congestion.

Come to think of it, I did, but then moved on to a middle ear infection. I've never had ear infections before I got pregnant, so maybe it is residual sinus pressure. My OB said to not be concerned unless it lasts a lengthy period of time or gets serious, but it has been so off and on, it's getting irritating.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hastings posted:

And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking? I literally had a woman inject her finger into my belly button yesterday at the grocery store. I had never met her. :psyduck: It's just frustrating..it's as if once you're pregnant you cease to be a person...you're just a vessel.

Thankfully I didn't have any strangers try to touch me. I've been told I usually look pretty mad all the time. I think having a 6'5" husband with long hair and tattoos that lifts weights helps too.

Just make yourself look super unapproachable!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hastings posted:

And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking? I literally had a woman inject her finger into my belly button yesterday at the grocery store. I had never met her. :psyduck: It's just frustrating..it's as if once you're pregnant you cease to be a person...you're just a vessel.

I have always thought a nice approach would be to calmly place one's entire hand over the offender's face. When they object, say, "Oh, I thought we were playing a game where we touch strangers in ways that make them uncomfortable."

I don't think I'd have the balls to do it though since I'm pretty sure the most usual reaction is simply :aaa: what the gently caress are you doing

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hastings posted:

And thirdly, what is the best way to kill and hide the body of a stranger who approaches me and massages my belly without asking?

A good shovel and a bag of lime. Seriously though, people are complete dicks about touching bellies. I have PTSD (ESPECIALLY with strangers touching me) and I flat out told people that their touching me was really raising my stress levels which is bad for the baby. Every single one of them would get ultra defensive, like I was the dick for calling them out for caressing a stranger's bathing suit zone. I finally just started petting their cheeks or hair for the length of time they were touching me.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Amykinz posted:

A good shovel and a bag of lime. Seriously though, people are complete dicks about touching bellies. I have PTSD (ESPECIALLY with strangers touching me) and I flat out told people that their touching me was really raising my stress levels which is bad for the baby. Every single one of them would get ultra defensive, like I was the dick for calling them out for caressing a stranger's bathing suit zone. I finally just started petting their cheeks or hair for the length of time they were touching me.

My boss straight up lifted my shirt, and began massaging my belly and exclaimed "YOU'RE GETTING SO BIG!!" as I was talking to another students parent. I actually had to split second react and stop my hand from hitting her face. The funny thing is, men don't do this..it totally seems to be a woman thing to just randomly be an rear end to pregnant ladies. Another coworker asked if I knew the father of my baby and if we were still together. I've been married to my husband for four years. And you're right, it's always the pregnant woman who gets called the uptight bitch for not wanting to be fondled or have people give them totally unasked for advice. No rear end in a top hat, gently caress you I do not want to hear about what your doctor said, I have one. My entire life is controlled by this one little person, including what I wear, eat, where I go, etc., so yes I will loving enjoy this donut and small cup of coffee you insufferable prick! Didn't you mother tell you it was rude to impose on people?!

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

Also we're doing the weekend prenatal crash course, and today was the first day. It was all about techniques to cope with pain, biology of girls bits, how the heck the baby gets out of there, and things hospitals do when it gets problematic or a gal needs some help. It was really really awesome to go to. I learned so much, and I'm sure I missed a ton more stuff. It turns out I had really no idea how the heck the process goes. It's still scary but at least I know what's going to happen now. We'll see what tomorrow has in store.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

SmokeyXIII posted:

Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

For us, it followed a curve. I still had some time at first because newborns sleep all the time. Once David started being more alert and needy (and cluster feeding), I had zero time for tv/games. Life got easier once David started sleeping through the night. He's asleep by 8:15 most nights, and after I get done washing bottles and pumping supplies, I have an hour to do with as I will before I start getting ready for bed myself. My husband gets more time for gaming at night than I do because he stays up later than I do, plus he has the time I spend nursing David.

The big change was that we don't really play any console games anymore, we mostly both just play iOS and PC games. Gone are our Rock Band Fridays, at least until David is old enough to play a fake guitar.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

SmokeyXIII posted:

Depends on your baby. Our first kid was a chillbaby and we played a lot of video games and watched tv while he chilled in our laps. Not for the first two, three weeks though, those were hectic with figuring out breastfeeding and having to sleep whenever possible. All babies are different though, so you can't really know until it's here.

e: and as he grew bigger, we got less time for those kinds of things again. He's 2 years old now, and we have to wait until he's in bed to do stuff like that.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 2, 2012

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Hastings posted:

I had the postman do that to me when I was 9 weeks pregnant and not showing at all. We hadn't told people and I was in my husbands office wearing a kind of big shapeless coat so when he said 'oh you're expecting again' and poked me right in the stomach I had to say 'No, I'm just really fat' and give him death stares.

SmokeyXIII posted:

Probably still a reasonable amount, but the way you play might change so if you're into MMO's you can't sign up for raids or make sure they understand you will be wandering off to do whatever the baby or wife needs. My husband and I both play the same MMO and we can play a couple of hours a night (half eight to about half ten) but about a quarter of the time we're on one or other of us is off dealing with kid related things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Goonbabies :3:.

When my first child was a little baby a goodly amount of gaming and TV-watching was possible, like everyone's said. The timing was patchy since you have to be ready to drop what you're doing at any moment, but little babies sleep a lot. I watched so many scandalous HBO shows in the intervals between diapers, and learned to play just about anything on my computer while nursing.

I got a lot more careful about it once she was old enough to sit up and focus on the screen. It's...kind of troubling how the whole MOVING PICTURE FLASHING LIGHTS thing sucks up their attention instantly. I mean, instantly. Eyes go right to the screen. We especially had to cut TV and games down to after bedtime once she was starting to talk. Didn't really need her internalizing Al Swearengen's ethical code or amazing the playground with lines from The Wire.

It's so much harder now with two kids, though. drat you, children, let me play my games!