Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You could delete the current Nintendo land patch that enables Miiverse for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Suaimhneas posted:

Probably a silly question, but how do I resume from a quicksave in NSMBU? Selecting the savefile just resumes from the last castle save with none of world 2 completed.

This isn't right. To quicksave, press start, click "Quick Save", say "OK" to whatever question it asks you. On the main menu screen, there should be a little red balloon on your save file. All you have to do is start that save and you'll be back where you were when you saved. If you're doing all this and it's not working, something's wrong.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Suaimhneas posted:

Probably a silly question, but how do I resume from a quicksave in NSMBU? Selecting the savefile just resumes from the last castle save with none of world 2 completed.

You must not actually be quick-saving. There's nothing special to start from it; you just select your save game file. It would have the balloon on it.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Suaimhneas posted:

You can only resume from a quicksave once, so I'm guessing you already resumed and then didn't save again afterwards.

efb dammit refresh the thread next time

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nope. I used the quicksave last night and it exited from the game like it should. After a while spent messing around with Miiverse I shut the system down. Turned it on again today and started up the game, no balloon on my save file. Guess I'm playing those levels again. :|

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Bombadilillo posted:

I had about 4 nintendoland crashes in a row last night. I finally just deleted my WiFi settings and took it offline. Fixed the problem. I'm not messing around with that until they patch it. :tinfoil: there are crash leads to brick rumors.

Think that's bad? I've had 9 Nintendoland Crashes. No bricking yet but thankfully after that 9th one it seems to have stopped completely.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Suaimhneas posted:

Nope. I used the quicksave last night and it exited from the game like it should. After a while spent messing around with Miiverse I shut the system down. Turned it on again today and started up the game, no balloon on my save file. Guess I'm playing those levels again. :|

I bet you selected the quick save, but didn't stay in the game long enough for the save to go through, and instead went right into Miiverse.

Or, a bug that missed the quick save.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
You'd be amazed what you can create in Scribblenauts.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Is that a robo-baby-angel? And a trashcan full of dead babies?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Gendo posted:

You'd be amazed what you can create in Scribblenauts.

Please post a screen of that to the Miiverse and tell us what happens.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

But can these babies find love in a world ready to exploit them?
And how far can Mario kick them?

Wii U trip report.
Round up your hardcore gaming friends and introduce them to Wii U via ZombieU first.
After 30 minutes my friend started to panic and could do nothing but Scan the face of the Zombie that killed him. It was like watching someone tweet their death.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Is there an ongoing list of cheap external hard drives that work with the WiiU, or ones that work without a Y-cable? Right now I'm looking at this Western Digital USB 3.0 500GB.

Gordy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 30, 2012

toast288
Nov 30, 2012

Gordy posted:

Is there an ongoing list of cheap external hard drives that work with the WiiU, or ones that work without a Y-cable? Right now I'm looking at this Western Digital USB 3.0 500GB.

Here's a list straight from Nintendo, but it's by no means the only ones that work (it's also a very short list). http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/external_usb_devices.jsp

They say they will keep the list running, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it will be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have the exact same western digital except mine is 1tb. It works fine. Had to get a y cable which was 5.18 after shipping from amazon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hate how on this pad and the 3DS there's an extra level of brightness reserved for when plugged into the wall.
Even if it runs down the battery double time I'd use it, but the lead won't reach far enough to let me play in front of the TV.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gordy posted:

I ordered the Toshiba Canvio 1tb since it was $10 cheaper.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
This came out today in the UK, had all afternoon to play it and I'm pretty impressed with how well all the network stuff works. I got the ZombiU pack and Mario, enjoy them both but the lack of inverted Y-axis on the gamepad in ZombiU is killing me (literally). Why would they leave that out?!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Saw this on Reddit, final cover of Nintendo Power...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is there a way for me to alter the miiverse channels on the home screen? I favorited a few new ones but I am still stuck staring at Nintendo miis talking about parental controls.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Is there a way for me to alter the miiverse channels on the home screen? I favorited a few new ones but I am still stuck staring at Nintendo miis talking about parental controls.
It should usually do it on its own after a while. It did for me. Not really sure how it works.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeah, i'd like to know about that too, i have the same issue. Maybe it just needs some time? Also, we seem not to be the only ones with that problem. Anybody help please?

^^^^Okay let's wait and see....

SenseLess fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 1, 2012

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is there a rechargeable battery pack for the Wiimotes that doesn't suck?

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is there a rechargeable battery pack for the Wiimotes that doesn't suck?

Why not just use NiMH batteries?

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Got the system today and played a bit of NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros. U with my girlfriend. First off, the Wii U gamepad really is great - better than I expected, to be honest. The screen is awesome, it is light and very nice to hold. I'm also excited about the possibilities the second screen brings, as it isn't a gimmick by any means. NintendoLand was fun enough, but NSMBU really impressed - can't wait to play some more of it tomorrow.

All in all, I'm very happy with my situation right now - I have a good gaming-PC for my hardcore needs, and WiiU for some more light-hearted gaming ( and for Nintendo exclusives ).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The one thing that irks me about the Wii U Shop, why not implement a cart system and then allow you to pay whatever the balance is, rather than add multiple denominations to get above your total.

If they are going to do that, then at least make the prices whole dollars, leaving you with 5c in the balance isn't doing anyone a favor.

However, saying that, loving the system so far.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is there no "pay exact amount" option in the checkout like there is on 3DS?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm almost done with New Super Mario Brothers U, which despite having the worst name ever, is the sequel to Super Mario World I've been waiting 20 years for. The overworld and branching paths and what-not really give it a much grander feel than the static menus of Yoshi's island and NSMB1, plus the level design is top notch and I love the Koopa Kids. The Squirrel Suit and baby Yoshis are so much fun it's insane.

I haven't played New Super Mario Wii and I don't have a 3DS yet, but are either of them as good as this? How about Super Mario 3D land?

I'd given up on Mario games after NSMB was underwhelming and Galaxy made me nauseous.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

LividLiquid posted:

I'm almost done with New Super Mario Brothers U, which despite having the worst name ever, is the sequel to Super Mario World I've been waiting 20 years for. The overworld and branching paths and what-not really give it a much grander feel than the static menus of Yoshi's island and NSMB1, plus the level design is top notch and I love the Koopa Kids. The Squirrel Suit and baby Yoshis are so much fun it's insane.

I haven't played New Super Mario Wii and I don't have a 3DS yet, but are either of them as good as this? How about Super Mario 3D land?

I'd given up on Mario games after NSMB was underwhelming and Galaxy made me nauseous.

If I had to rate the NSMB games from best to worst, it'd be: NSMBU > NSMBW > NSMB 2 >NSMB. NSMB2 is good as a score attack game (I love Coin Rush), but it's level design is hardly better than the first. NSMBW is alright if you wanna give it a go.

Super Mario 3D Land is great in the sense that it is how I always wanted to see a 3D Mario game; incorporating the obstacle course point A to point B gameplay of the 2D games. Unfortuantely, the first half of the game is ridiculously easy. It makes up for it near the end though.

Galaxy 2 is easily my favorite 3D game at the moment, though. However, if they do another 3D Land-style game and gave it better level design and challenge, it may overthrow it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

poo poo must have missed it, when I went to pay the only option I had was add funds with wallet/points card and it had $10, $20, $50, and $100 options.

Well I have a spare $20 laying around for something else then I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LividLiquid posted:

The Yoshi babies singing when you pick them up is just amazing. I can't get over how much I like it. I also like that the coins seem a lot easier to pick up than in NSMBW, I found I really had to struggle to get them whereas here if I poke around I'm almost guaranteed to pick them up.

The only thing I feel that it is missing is an underwater suit similar to the Penguin or the Frog. I don't want to go mad with suits like Mario 3 did but an underwater suit feels like it fits, especially since you don't get much use out of the Penguin suit in NSMBW!

My only issue with the Wii U so far is that Nintendoland requires a wiimotionplus thing for quite a few of the games and I've never bought one, it doesn't mention this on the back. I mean it's a free game and what I can use is still great, I'm just a little sad.

I wish they'd hurry up with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and also Mario Galaxy 3...and a Mario Kart title though. It feels wrong not to have a Mario Kart.

Incidentally the list of things not included in the standard Wii U blew my mind (I got the premium one). You don't even get stands so you can have it upright?!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Taear posted:

My only issue with the Wii U so far is that Nintendoland requires a wiimotionplus thing for quite a few of the games and I've never bought one, it doesn't mention this on the back. I mean it's a free game and what I can use is still great, I'm just a little sad.

There is actually an icon for it on the back of the case. The regular remote and the remote plus/motionplus are listed separately.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

SenseLess posted:

Why not just use NiMH batteries?

Because the fastest charging ones that I can find take at least 4 hours to recharge (http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc.pdf).

E: oops wrong response

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

LividLiquid posted:

Wii's pretty good and actually has a bit of a bite to it (moreso than the other New games, anyway), and I haven't played 2 but I've heard that it's generally more of the same with a score-attack bent to it.

3D Land was actually very good, it's a 3D Mario game styled after the gameplay of the 2D ones and it's got a lot more variety and life to it than the handheld New games. Unfortunately, it's also piss-easy and doesn't last very long if you're not gunning for all star-coins/all five stars on your save file. It doesn't have the branching overworld of New U, its worlds are just straight-line menus.

Still, it's good fun, and if you live in Europe, get a 3DS XL and register it on Club Nintendo before January 15th you can get it as a free download (in January, for some reason they're giving the codes out now but holding off until then). No word if this applies to any other region, though.

I'll actually start talking about the Wii U itself when I get one early next year, I promise. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game of all time, but I don't want them to make a third one. The only reason we got a 2 is because they had some ideas left over from 1.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Because the fastest charging ones that I can find take at least 4 hours to recharge (http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chdc.pdf).

Isn't eneloop the preferred brand of rechargeables now?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

That's why you have two sets and one are constantly charged.

Technically I have something more along the lines of five sets and one always in the charger for when the currently used set run out but the principles the same.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

They last much longer than four hours, so I'm not entirely sure why that's a problem.

Edit: I get it. Yeah, what the guy above me said. Get two pairs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Saw this on Reddit, final cover of Nintendo Power...

By the way, does anyone know what the poster inside it is? I'm gonna have to track down a copy tomorrow after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game of all time, but I don't want them to make a third one. The only reason we got a 2 is because they had some ideas left over from 1.

Surely there's plenty more that they can do?

quote:

There is actually an icon for it on the back of the case. The regular remote and the remote plus/motionplus are listed separately.

I guess I just don't recognise the motion plus icon. They're only £9, they're just a bit unweildy I feel.

• Locked thread