Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Fractal Cat posted:

PS transphobe(s): You aren't being witty. Making hateful comments directed at trans* people is at best tiresome, as we've heard it all before.

Meanwhile if you want to make jokes about trans people (by trans people) then the BBC will give you £5000 http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/transcomedy-award

BBC Writersroom posted:

Trans Comedy have joined forces with BBC writersroom to launch The Trans Comedy Award: a talent search to encourage writers to promote a positive portrayal of Transgender people in mainstream comedy.

The Trans Comedy Award opens up an opportunity for the transgender community and members of the general public to portray transgender characters and the transgender experience in an affirming manner.

We are looking for original comedy sitcoms, comedy dramas or sketch shows featuring transgender characters and/or themes and written for television. An award of up to a maximum of £5000 will be shared between the selected writer(s) in order that they may develop a pilot or taster.

The Trans Comedy Award will be judged by Ian Critchley (BBC Head of Creative Resources), Jon Plowman (Executive Producer, BBC Comedy), Kate Rowland (BBC Creative Director of New Writing) and a comedy writer/actor (name to be announced).

This opportunity is open to any writer as long as the work submitted is not currently in development or under consideration for development and has not previously been produced by any broadcaster or production company.

Entries open from: Monday 14th January 2013 (coversheet & postal address will be available on our site from 11th January 2013)

Deadline for entries: 5pm, Thursday 28th February 2013

Selected writers notified: End of May 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

I've discovered Daniel Kahn through related videos when someone posted these some time before. I also like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZNcUCVXBo

Actually, if you have the time, that whole concert is worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW9sbAfYIw

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Berlin in the 1930s, in color.

More pictures (sorry it's the Daily Mail).

Ententod fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 30, 2012

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Meanwhile if you want to make jokes about trans people (by trans people) then the BBC will give you £5000 http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunities/transcomedy-award

More dead Syrian children. Ever wonder what they thing about your white people problems? Call the BBC!

T.Worth fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 30, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's true.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ententod posted:

There's some correlation between the amount of the same flag on display and how horrible a place is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ententod posted:

More pictures (sorry it's the Daily Mail).

Sunshine and swastikas: Rare colour pictures of 1930s Berlin show carefree life in Hitler’s capital before war that reduced it to rubble

British media in fascist sympathies shocker

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Striking fast food workers in NYC:

quote:

The fact that the person that the conversation was about was in transition from one biological sex to another is unnecessary to people who consider you what you were until you reach your destination, with a qualification that acknowledges the active change (M, F, MtF, or FtM). (Is there a significant portion of the population that's goal is to be inter-sexed? If there is I've never seen or heard of it.)

A significant proportion of trans people (especially trans men, since many consider the female to male operations currently available to not be great options) do not get a "full" medical transition from one sex to the other. There are quite a lot of FtM men on testosterone with a full beard and mastectomy walking around who have their original anatomy in their pants and no future plans to change that. If that's what you mean by "goal is to be intersexed", then yes, it's somewhat common ("intersex" is a medical condition you have from birth though, and not the way those people would describe themselves). So here we have a position where a lot of people who fully ID as men and have unambiguously male gender expression still have wombs, even if not many would choose to use them. Their "destination" has been reached as far as they are concerned. In this context, it would be offensive to deny their identity because of the presence of the womb.

You might say then that the point at which a transition is "complete" is arbitrary, and therefore it's unreasonable to expect people to know when and what pronouns to use. As you pointed out yourself, the best way to know is to pay attention to how someone is expressing their gender. If they look like a woman or look like they are trying to, they probably are (unless you're at a drag show). If they correct you, then use their preferred pronoun. It's that simple most of the time. Understand that the anger towards the poster you're defending was the fact they overruled the correction with their initial impression, not that they had that impression in the first place.

quote:

Indefensible? Are you really saying that I have to actively question people I meet as to what gender pronoun I have to use to refer to them by? Why can't I do the reasonable thing: evidence builds to an assumption that is only tentative opinion until confirmed/dis-proven otherwise (verbally or nonverbally)?

Again: it's indefensible because they were saying "if they look like a woman to me, I've decided they are a woman even if they said they aren't". The context was them announcing they thought Beatie (though they probably mistook him for his wife) looked and acted female and that was how they would "decide" his gender despite a person already explaining his identity and situation. Of course I don't expect people to worry about pronouns when they meet someone who looks unambiguously male or female. Your method is fine, but you're mistaken in believing the poster we're discussing followed it. They ignored that it was disproven otherwise and returned to their original hunch.

quote:

You could just say "check your cis privilege". That'd be shorter and mean the same thing, you jackass who presumes anyone who disagrees is automatically making a volitional decision to be disrespectful to others.

No, it wasn't "check your privilege", it was basically "lurk more" (in places you can learn about this) and nothing else: I don't care if you're trans or not, I care if you know what you're talking about. I don't post in the Middle East conflict thread because I have mediocre knowledge of the subject. If I did post, it would probably be question-based and open to the idea I messed up a few concepts. If you know little about a subject, don't run into a discussion with all guns blazing and get defensive when people correct you.

Finally, you seem to be wearing some pair of magical glasses that convert stuff into industrial-strength SJW ramblings, because you're seeing things in my post that I didn't and wouldn't say. In fact I find it hilarious that I'm the one accused of such things when I was replying to a person who used "knowledge shame".

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Experto Crede posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H40EsEVU1Wk

One of the last videos out of Syria before the internet was cut off. Accidentally started watching whilst that Agnus Dei video above was playing. gently caress man :smith:
If this is actually the horror that other posters are saying, could we get a mod to add some :nms: tags and warnings? I ain't watching this. :(

Contribution: protests in Egypt. The arabic apparently says "Go away, Morsi!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Ententod posted:

I love color photographs of ye olden times. The Prokudin-Gorskii collection is great: the dude invented a method to take and show photographs in color in the early 1900's (really early), by taking the same B&W photo but through different RGB filters, and then projecting them back through same colored filters to create a colored slide. The Tsar had him do a "photographic survey" of Russia in 1909-1915.

Posting some of my favorite ones from the site (these are of course all modern renditions from the B&W originals, so they've been digitally retouched and all that jazz, there's a page on the site that explains the process):

Emir of Bukhara

Jewish Children studying with their teacher in Samarkand, West Turkestan

Chinese Foreman at the Chakva (in modern day Georgia) Tea Farm

Fabric Merchant, at Samarkand

Turkmen Camel Driver

Electrical Generators at a Factory

Textile Mill

The photographic process introduced some nice iridiscent artifacts on some surfaces:

Settlement of Viazovaia, in the Ural Mountains region (notice the smoke)

Portrait of Pinkhus Karlinskii, supervisor of the Chernigov floodgate (the water here goes all kinds of crazy)

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrfh-tuKaFs

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Markovnikov posted:

The photographic process introduced some nice iridiscent artifacts on some surfaces:

Settlement of Viazovaia, in the Ural Mountains region (notice the smoke)

This one reminds me of the farms I saw in Kosovo.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
ACAB (except this one, he's all right)

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 1, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Experto Crede posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H40EsEVU1Wk

One of the last videos out of Syria before the internet was cut off. Accidentally started watching whilst that Agnus Dei video above was playing. gently caress man :smith:

Come on man. There's a video posted on youtube every ten minutes that's indistinguishable from this one. There's pretty much an unwritten rule to keep this stuff in the Middle East thread, unless it's really significant. If people want to know more about what's going on in Syria, our resident media guru has continuous updates there. By all means, spread the word and tell people about how awful it is, but I don't see a good reason to post stuff like this for shock value in high traffic, irrelevant threads when there's no informational value or cause beyond "Hey look at a thing that happened in Syria." It's kind of in bad taste, IMO. Like sharing a graphic picture of dead kids on facebook. And GirlBones, avoid links in the ME Wars thread like the PLAGUE.

For content: Some of the 2700 children who have been killed in Syria since the beginning of the violence.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 1, 2012

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

syscall girl posted:

I kinda just wish Obama would stop being the bigger man and tell that bum to go the gently caress home to Utah and keep on making sure his grandchildren grow up to be as horrible as he is.

Hey, he was nice enough to show Romney the office that he will never, ever occupy.

GAP does A Good Thing.

Lyz fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 1, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What retard made this? Britain leaning Palestine? loving hilarious.
And, Oh, hey, leave out my country, that's cool. Not like we've been one of the most active campaigners for Palestine for 25 years, nor have we ever done anything notable about this at all. That's fine.

Picture: The Foreign Minister of Iceland speaking at the 25th anniversary of the Iceland/Palestine association. We heard a bunch of cool speeches interspred with good music. We also had dudes watching the UN vote so when we won we went out and partied. I had to go early because I had a presentation the morning after though. poo poo, I'm still wearing my free Palestine t-shirt.

Less people got seats than wanted, was very well attended. I am in this picture but am not very visible. Cure my bad posture.

Does anyone have the lowdown on why the Checz voted against? Germany is at least understandable if stupid, but them?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Does anyone have the lowdown on why the Checz voted against? Germany is at least understandable if stupid, but them?

They've been a very strong Israël proponent for a long time for some reason.

On the earlier discussion about militant gay activists carrying axes seeming like overkill:

quote:

Mallory is an innocent young woman who was severely beaten by her girlfriend’s brother because of her sexual orientation on Thanksgiving Day. She was invited to their home to celebrate Thanksgiving, and after eating, the brother followed the couple outside to brutally beat Mallory for “turning his sister gay” while his sister and parents watched without doing a thing. What makes it even worse is that he has been released out of jail, only being charged with 2nd degree assault. No one in their right mind can look at these pictures and agree 2nd degree assault is an appropriate charge. She has suffered from a broken nose, a rip in her nasal passage, and her cheek bones are crushed to the point where they had to insert metal plates. This sick man should be charged with Attempted Murder and should spend the rest of his days in jail. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transvestite, black, white, Chinese, mixed…no matter WHAT you are, absolutely NOBODY deserves anything like this. This was a hate crime. Help spread the word and fight for this evil, sick man to be charged with what he deserves! Even if the courts don’t take the case any further, he WILL be judged by God in the end. My prayers go out to the friends and family of Mallory . God bless her innocent soul. Justice for Mallory!

http://www.change.org/petitions/mobile-county-alabama-prosecutor-bring-travis-hawkins-jr-to-justice

When things like this still happen, I can't fault any gay person arming him/herself in any way they feel they need to.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

They've been a very strong Israël proponent for a long time for some reason.

On the earlier discussion about militant gay activists carrying axes seeming like overkill:

When things like this still happen, I can't fault any gay person arming him/herself in any way they feel they need to.
But what is the reason? Demmit, now I wanna know.

And man, that is just absolute loving poo poo. That kind of thing would loving never be tolerated here. That guy and his family would at least have been named and shamed.

Cool story: Gay Pride came up in discussion in class a while back and it turns out that it isn't a family festival in other countries? Like, someone said that in places like New York it wasn't treated like a parade or festival? That is loving odd to me.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mallory Owens released a statement a few days ago that the attack was not motivated by her being gay. Her mother was the primary one pushing for the hate crime charges. He just beat the crap out of her because he's violent and hated her.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 1, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ekuNNN posted:

Sure. But posting angry pictures of yourself with your weapons is still ridiculous.

Cool story: Gay Pride came up in discussion in class a while back and it turns out that it isn't a family festival in other countries? Like, someone said that in places like New York it wasn't treated like a parade or festival? That is loving odd to me.
Nah, this is incorrect. They're treated like normal parades/festivals.

http://keshek.tumblr.com/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Broken Machine posted:

Mallory Owens released a statement a few days ago that the attack was not motivated by her being gay. Her mother was the primary one pushing for the hate crime charges. He just beat the crap out of her because he's violent and hated her.

Speaking of Mallory Owens, here a before pic.

Oh and she released a statement today saying the everything the came out before was orchestrated by her attackers family and nothing anyone, not even her girlfriend, said before today should be taken as her statement.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Gay Pride Parade New York 2012. First fuckin page on Google, man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3XjSsqd1rM

e: I guess it might be different results for Icelandic Google, but still.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Broken Machine posted:

That article is loving infuriating.

A Horrible Person posted:

"Travis Hawkins' attorney says his client was already tried and convicted by people on the Internet who have no idea what really happened.

"People have taken this and overreacted, and made it something that it's not," said Byrd."

Way to blow this out of proportion guys! He didn't beat the ever loving poo poo out of her because she was gay, he beat the ever loving poo poo out of a her for another reason. When you think about it like that, its practicably acceptable! A complete misunderstanding. Im sure we all get angry from time to time and leave another human-being's face like this:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Gato posted:

Gay Pride Parade New York 2012. First fuckin page on Google, man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3XjSsqd1rM

e: I guess it might be different results for Icelandic Google, but still.
Ehhh, not exactly seeing the kids there. It could also just be different parade cultures, bugger if I know. I wouldn't be surprised if she was wrong, but I didn't want to call her out because I've been trying to be less aggressive in class, nyeh.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

That article is loving infuriating.

Way to blow this out of proportion guys! He didn't beat the ever loving poo poo out of her because she was gay, he beat the ever loving poo poo out of a her for another reason. When you think about it like that, its practicably acceptable! A complete misunderstanding. Im sure we all get angry from time to time and leave another human-being's face like this:

Either way it's a horrific crime. I just thought it was worth noting the victim's perspective on it differed significantly from the narrative. The statement she just released today that Hasters mentioned (here) provides much more detail, and contradicts what the victim had stated earlier. Sadly, as it's Alabama, crimes against someone based on their sexual orientation don't qualify as hate crimes regardless.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 1, 2012

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Well, I didn't know about Mallory Owens until now. Now I'm pretty sad. :smith:

Pic:

Also, another pic. The SS United States was the fastest ocean liner to ever sail the Atlantic. So fast her engine design was kept secret for decades. A role she kept from the early 1950's to 1970. Following that and the decline of the trans-Atlantic passenger trade, she remained in an odd limbo as she was purchased by various companies through the 80's and 90's as they planned to put her into other cruising uses. All the various plans though fell through and the liner for years lagged in Phili collecting rust as its owners at the time put it up for sale, either to scrap yards or people who wanted to convert it. Despite a lower bid, the preservationist won out in 2011. It was announced in 2011 that by the end of 2012 a new developer would be chosen for the United States and a new home city the next year. A metaphor for the whole country? You decide.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

Ehhh, not exactly seeing the kids there. It could also just be different parade cultures, bugger if I know.[/timg]
Yeah, I kind of skimmed over family there! Pride parades in America definitely aren't family events most of the time (just want to make clear that I don't think that's because they're obscene or unsuitable for children to see or whatever). They tend to get pretty wild.

Stonewall riots

e: think this one might not actually be from Stonewall; I was kind of lazy with my GIS

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 1, 2012

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

That's a pretty remarkably stupid chart. Of course the US Senate has 2 senators per state, regardless of population: that's the point. The Senate was created in order to discourage the abuse of smaller or less populous states by the larger or more populous. We have a house of congress with (more or less) population proportional representation as well: it's called the House of Representatives.

Palestinians celebrating UN recognition as an independent state. (image leech fixed)

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 1, 2012

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

fool_of_sound posted:

That's a pretty remarkably stupid chart. Of course the US Senate has 2 senators per state, regardless of population: that's the point. The Senate was created in order to discourage the abuse of smaller or less populous states by the larger or more populous. We have a house of congress with (more or less) population proportional representation as well: it's called the House of Representatives.

The point is the Senate is loving stupid for the exact reason the chart shows. The House is irrelevant when the Senate has equal power and Wyoming has the same representation as a state like California with over 40x the population. Hell, constitutional representatives in the 18th century admitted the Senate was stupid but it was the only way to get a deal. At the time though the larges state only had around 9-10x the population of the smallest state, not over 40x.

Crossposting from GBS thread, old anti women's suffrage posters

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

The point of the chart is to show, in visual terms, how ridiculous and anti-democratic the continuance of this historical compromise is, and how much it distorts representation in Congress. Would you defend the Electoral College for superseding the people's choice/popular vote in 2000, just as the founders intended it to do? It serves its purpose but its purpose is loving stupid. Don't be willfully dense, as political cartoonist Eric Allie would say:

quote:

A president who lived in a foreign culture and did a thing that culture does? NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Eric Allie posted:

Don’t be willfully dense. Obama’s people attempted to make Romney look out of touch, weird and cruel for the dog on a roof thing. But, wait, Obama ate dogs. No one would give a poo poo about about it if Obama’s flock didn’t try to make Shamus a thing.
Edit: can I ask you what sort of "abuses" the Senate is currently preventing?

Ceiling of the Chamber of Human Rights and the Alliance of Civilizations of the UN

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 1, 2012

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Shamus is looking pretty chipper for a dog who shat himself and the car windows.

Found this in my pictures titled "God Bless America".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Senor Gato posted:

Edit: can I ask you what sort of "abuses" the Senate is currently preventing?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bo is in the holiday spirit. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lce5gWKgMXI

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

Well, if there's one thing that's true, it's that, if the political will to abolish or completely revamp the Senate ever materialized, it wouldn't also materialize for, say, redistricting reform, campaign reform, term limit reform, proportional representation, or any other major reforms really; the House of Representatives would have a permanent Republican majority. Also, had the Senate been done away with or changed many years ago, the House would look exactly as it does today, because the Senate has no influence on the political process or, by extension, people's political preferences.

(I know you're just being sarcastic/glib, but the temporary partisan composition of the House doesn't change the shittiness of the Senate, particularly in its current form)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Senor Gato posted:

can I ask you what sort of "abuses" the Senate is currently preventing?
You can, but it wouldn't be meaningful. Why would the Senate need to actively prevent abuses, when it's main purpose was to do so passively, it's existence making the abuses futile, and therefore preventing them from ever being brought forth.

As to it being undemocratic; yes, it is, and this is intentional. One of the major challenges of democracy is ensuring minority protections; in other words, ensuring that 51% of the population can't simply vote to screw the other 49% to their benefit. If you were to have proportional Senate representation (or to simply do away with the Senate) you would also have to ensure that not only are regional abuses prevented, which is possible through Constitutional protections and the courts, but also ensure that regional concerns from the less populous regions (the Midwest holds only 4% of Representatives) are listened to in earnest.

While regional concerns are less of an issue than they were 200 or so years ago, they are still important (federal aid and appropriations to states, for instance). The House and Senate's respective abilities to stall and gridlock are annoying, they do serve a purpose (however that purpose may be abused); transforming the Senate into a second House (or removing it) is not an appropriate solution to Washington gridlock. Dissolving minority protections in order to promote a majority agenda is almost never a good idea.

(image leech fixed)

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

Would you support a racial and sexual minority quota in the United States government? Or are the only minorities worthy of such protection white and rural?

Glorious Protector of Minority Rights

It's a good thing that the Senate is incredibly racially, ethnically, religiously, and sexually diverse, because if it were otherwise, your assertion that it "ensures minority protections" would be sort of ironic...

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 1, 2012

• Locked thread