Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

CharlesM posted:

Move to Vancouver :)

Come to anywhere north of Hope, it gets nice and frigid. Hell, just installed a block heater for a friend today in -25C with wind on top of that. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Tusen Takk posted:

When I first came here from Australia and 30*C heat by 8am, I thought I was going to die; now I don't wear jeans until it's around 30*F outside, though I will wear a jacket. It was almost 50*F today so I wore shorts and a T-shirt and drove with the windows down.

When I was in South Carolina people were wearing earmuffs and it was 62*F, I was wearing a tank top, flipflops, and shorts. The ocean was kind of really cold but it wasn't as bad as Lake Superior :v:

Hey, it doesn't get to 30*C by 8am.

It's more like 5am.

<insert complaint about current heat wave here>

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kotaru posted:

I love this time of year; being in Texas the average summer temperature is well over 99F and muggy as hell, I dance with glee if I'm in my garage working in <60F once winter rolls around. All I need is 2 pairs of old scrubs from work and I'm perfectly content wrenching well into the night. Different strokes I guess. :)

That's why I moved out of Texas. gently caress that 100 degree 90% humidity bullshit 9 months out of the year. The only time I go back to visit family is for Christmas/New Years. I went home last year for Thanksgiving and it was 85 and muggy as poo poo by the time I hit Dallas.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VikingSkull posted:

I work at an auction, the worst thing ever is a blizzard on sale day. We've never missed a sale in the 14 years I've worked there. Cleaning 3 feet of snow off of 5,000 cars really sucks.

True story: When the retro Ford Thunderbird first came out, we had one running in the Ford factory sale with under 50 miles on it. The plows had come through the lanes early in the morning, so there was a three foot high snow bank in front of all the cars. My boss told me to get the Thunderbird out and bring it to the building to run in its lane, so I tried to get it out. No way in hell, it's stuck. Bad. So I hop out, say "this thing isn't moving". Boss says, "I don't care what you have to do, get it unstuck".

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ok then. Rev it up, neutral bang it in drive. Time the rock, bang it in reverse. Wheels spinning, smoke and snow going everywhere. It literally took a half hour of this, eventually with some guys pushing it.

When it rolled through the sale lane it was puking coolant, had a really bad knock, a slipping trans, and two bald tires.

Best day at work ever.

Dumb question, isn't this situation what a shovel was designed to help with?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hello fellow Illinoisan.

(there's two trucks there, I swear)

Same storm, LSD:

Hopefully this winter will be like 2012 and we won't get much snow, but the south side was completely blanketed for three days before the plows got to us last time there was a huge blizzard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Yeah, even ignoring any mechanical sympathy for the car - I've got to imagine it would've taken a lot less time to just shovel a path out.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

VikingSkull posted:

I work at an auction, the worst thing ever is a blizzard on sale day. We've never missed a sale in the 14 years I've worked there. Cleaning 3 feet of snow off of 5,000 cars really sucks.

True story: When the retro Ford Thunderbird first came out, we had one running in the Ford factory sale with under 50 miles on it. The plows had come through the lanes early in the morning, so there was a three foot high snow bank in front of all the cars. My boss told me to get the Thunderbird out and bring it to the building to run in its lane, so I tried to get it out. No way in hell, it's stuck. Bad. So I hop out, say "this thing isn't moving". Boss says, "I don't care what you have to do, get it unstuck".

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ok then. Rev it up, neutral bang it in drive. Time the rock, bang it in reverse. Wheels spinning, smoke and snow going everywhere. It literally took a half hour of this, eventually with some guys pushing it.

When it rolled through the sale lane it was puking coolant, had a really bad knock, a slipping trans, and two bald tires.

Best day at work ever.

Good thing you absolutely destroyed a car just to be a loving idiot. Quality employee right there. You honestly can't work a shovel?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

JP Money posted:

Good thing you absolutely destroyed a car just to be a loving idiot. Quality employee right there. You honestly can't work a shovel?

You're totally forgetting the car in question. There shall be no sympathy for the abortion that was the Nu-Tbird.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

CharlesM posted:

Move to Vancouver :)
Oh god I wish

Root Bear posted:

Greetings from Greater Chicagoland, Illinois:
I wish I took pictures of the huge blizzard in Upstate New York a few years back.

Living in Ithaca. Somewhere between four and five feet of snow overnight. Everything shut-down. Cut the car out of the snow (over the roof!) but couldn't go anywhere for days because they only plowed a foot path down the middle of all the streets.

That was fuckin rad, no joke.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

amenenema posted:

You're totally forgetting the car in question. There shall be no sympathy for the abortion that was the Nu-Tbird.

Even if it was one of those winged Smart cars, he still just cost his company more than what many Americans make in a year it should have (just realised it's probably a used car, not new :v:). If it was an accident then that's one thing but it sounds more like he was pissed about having to do something he didn't want to.

It definitely would have been easier and cheaper to just shovel it out... Apparently critical thinking ability lessens proportionally to the temperature outside :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bidikyoopi posted:

Same storm, LSD:

Holy crap!

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Tusen Takk posted:

Even if it was one of those winged Smart cars, he still just cost his company more than what many Americans make in a year it should have (just realised it's probably a used car, not new :v:). If it was an accident then that's one thing but it sounds more like he was pissed about having to do something he didn't want to.

It definitely would have been easier and cheaper to just shovel it out... Apparently critical thinking ability lessens proportionally to the temperature outside :v:
I think they should have towed it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjmylmXxew
(This is one of my all time favorites)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

amenenema posted:

Was it really a terrible car? It was definitely built to a very small and specific market, and I only know one person who had one (not sure if she still does). Her husband builds himself all kinds of fun hot rods (ZZ4-powered T-bucket, Hemi-powered Model A roadster, etc) and I presumed that while she liked the vintage appearance, she wanted something that drove like a modern vehicle. Enter T-Bird.

I'd bet the buyers consisted entirely of people with that same mindset - people who don't care if the driving dynamics are any different than a Sebring, they just want it to look old and neat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd bet the buyers consisted entirely of people with that same mindset - people who don't care if the driving dynamics are any different than a Sebring, they just want it to look old and neat.

It was significantly better than a Sebring as well....it was based on the same platform as the Jag XF/Lincoln LS. It's a good, comfortable cruising car for those who are accustomed to or like their luxobarges.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
lovely car or not it's not owned by him and it's a dick move to gently caress it up just for some internet e-cred. It doesn't make you look cool it makes you look like a 16 year old.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

lovely car or not it's not owned by him and it's a dick move to gently caress it up just for some internet e-cred. It doesn't make you look cool it makes you look like a 16 year old.

Perhaps he was 16 at the time?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

sterster posted:

Yes it is for sale. My company had the penthouse rented out at the Holiday Inn @ country club & 60 for about 3 weeks. If you want to go take a look at it just drive on down and I'm sure it will be in the parking lot waiting for the guy to return from work. Additionally, you would think the guy driving it was some young gun. No, he looked as if he was in his mid-late 30's.

Well, keep in mind that when that car was new (and the poo poo that's on it was in style), that guy WAS in his early 20's.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was it really a terrible car? It was definitely built to a very small and specific market, and I only know one person who had one (not sure if she still does). Her husband builds himself all kinds of fun hot rods (ZZ4-powered T-bucket, Hemi-powered Model A roadster, etc) and I presumed that while she liked the vintage appearance, she wanted something that drove like a modern vehicle. Enter T-Bird.

See that's what I always figured about the new t-bird, that it was just designed for the older people who wanted that retro look and could afford to pay more for something that wasn't very impressive for the cost, but then they went and featured it in that Jet Li/DMX movie and then I didn't know what to think. I have no idea if Ford paid to get that thing in the movie or if the director just really felt Jet Li's character would look coolest in a new thunderbird.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kastein posted:

There's only so many shovels, and when you have a 300ish person workforce, with more than half in the lot digging cars out, you'd need a lot of shovels. It's just easier to crash them through snow banks, most cars can handle it. The Thunderbird was just really low with no power and lovely summer tires, plus the fact that it was a legit blizzard that dumped over 2 feet of snow.

More at fault was a manager in a high stress situation who panicked because the sale lane had almost reached the number of the car in question, coupled with an employee who was not happy being in the snow for hours without a break that took said stressed manager at face value for an easy excuse to whip the poo poo out of a car for no reason other than entertainment.

It was a perfect storm of bad decisions.

JP Money posted:

I protested and wanted to skip the car but he was insistent. I did exactly what my boss told me to do, with great pleasure. Once we got it out we both had a good laugh, and when we told the Ford representative what had happened, he laughed too. Things like this are not uncommon in the auction industry, it's a (small) step above the rental industry. Rentals being sold at auction should never be bought by anyone, by the way.

Were you the sucker who overpaid for that car or something?

JP Money posted:

That's where our shovel went! You have the handle up your rear end!

Tusen Takk posted:

(just realised it's probably a used car, not new :v:).

~50 miles or so, a Ford re-acquired vehicle. It was either a Lemon Law buyback, or a courtesy return on behalf of the dealership and/or Ford for one of a number of possible reasons. The tires were totally on me, but the coolant/trans/engine might have been weak to start with. I didn't help matters, though.

When you work for a rather large auto auction that sells tens of thousands of cars a year, stuff like this happens. I've seen cars totally destroyed in far more careless ways than this. One of the other managers was using a front loader to plow one year, plowed a row of cars under a huge snow bank by not paying attention, then he ran them over cutting the corner of the lot when moving to another area to plow.

Those of you that have been to a Manheim auction can probably back me up on how intense things can be on sale day. poo poo happens. It's corporate mentality run absolutely wild.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 1, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shimrod posted:

Hey, it doesn't get to 30*C by 8am.

It's more like 5am.

<insert complaint about current heat wave here>

You mean returning to normal - it's been a few years since a true burn your rear end off summer has happened.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

You mean returning to normal - it's been a few years since a true burn your rear end off summer has happened.

That's true. I think it hit just shy of 45*C here a couple of days ago. Cloud cover is providing some relief but I'm expecting another summer with temps hovering around 50*C again. Looks like another few months of being trapped indoors during daylight hours. Might have to spring for BF3 Premium.
Seriously is this how people in the colder U.S. states feel during the winter?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Heat is uncomfortable, cold is painful.

I'd rather have extreme heat any day of the week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You can always dress warmer. And get fatter.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Godholio posted:

You can always dress warmer. And get fatter.

Agreed, I'd much rather have cold than heat. You can always put on more layers, but you can only get so naked.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yep. You can rug up until you look like the Michelin Man and generally be okay as long as you don't get wet. On the other hand with heat you can only strip down so far and the heat will still be fatal. Doesn't even need to be during the day. usually when it's hot during the day it's still 40*C+ during the night.
One night like that there was a power failure. We got through okay, but it literally killed our neighbour. Real shame. I liked him.

Anyhow my original point was that I see all these people saying they won't go out to work on their car because it's below x degrees. I'm looking at it from that perspective but with heat / sun.
At least you don't need to worry about warming the engine up here in summer. A decent chunk of the year the car is already at the lower part of operating temperature before it's even been started.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think my hatred of the cold stems from the fact that I work outside a lot, and eventually my feet get wet, even in waterproof boots. Wet feet in -10F with a 30mph wind gives me about 15 minutes until I half heartedly consider suicide. New York is especially weird, because in the winter we may have -10F and colder with high winds and driving snow, yet in the summer we can also get days that are 100F+ with 90% humidity.

Basically any weather that anyone in this thread hates, I'll experience at some time during the year. Working on cars has been my career and passion since I was a teenager, and year round there are days I absolutely loving hate working on cars.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 1, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hello fellow Illinoisan.

(there's two trucks there, I swear)

Yeah whatever. I rode my motorcycle last new year in chicago. That snow is nothing compared to canada, or even, Minnesota.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If I had to guess, I would say that more people die of hypothermia than heat stroke.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yeah whatever. I rode my motorcycle last new year in chicago. That snow is nothing compared to canada, or even, Minnesota.
Our winter last year was one of the warmest in history. But you still have a point.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jamal posted:

If I had to guess, I would say that more people die of hypothermia than heat stroke.

Well, that's entirely dependent on where you are talking about.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=australia+heat+related+deaths
Hypothermia couldn't possibly be as big a killer here. Colder climates it easily could be.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Well, that's entirely dependent on where you are talking about.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=australia+heat+related+deaths

I think the native critters will get to you long before the heat.. drop bears, huntsman (ok funnelweb), jellyfish, sharks, and Perth, welp...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress working in the heat.

Although the worst job I ever had was -40 installing metal brackets onto a helicopter in an unheated hangar.

Worse then +45 outside in the desert.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

VikingSkull posted:

When you work for a rather large auto auction that sells tens of thousands of cars a year, stuff like this happens. I've seen cars totally destroyed in far more careless ways than this.

My old boss was standing in a Manheim lot on auction day near the exotics/high end vehicles. A Maserati rolls past him, no driver, door partially open, in gear at idle. No one notices, no one cares. It would have just rolled on into a Porsche except he jumped in it and stopped it.

An employee comes over looking for the car and he tells the employee what happened, and the guy was just like "oh", hops in and drives it off to the auction lane.

Auction day is sheer madness and a couple grand in damage to a car is not something they worry about too much from everything I've heard.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

It would have just rolled on into a Porsche except he jumped in it and stopped it.

So it was a catch and release day?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe he just wants to smash capitalism and gently caress the system

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

`Nemesis posted:

My old boss was standing in a Manheim lot on auction day near the exotics/high end vehicles. A Maserati rolls past him, no driver, door partially open, in gear at idle. No one notices, no one cares. It would have just rolled on into a Porsche except he jumped in it and stopped it.

An employee comes over looking for the car and he tells the employee what happened, and the guy was just like "oh", hops in and drives it off to the auction lane.

Auction day is sheer madness and a couple grand in damage to a car is not something they worry about too much from everything I've heard.

I watched a guy start an F250 from outside the truck by reaching in and pushing the clutch with his hand. He didn't know it was in reverse, it jumped backwards, knocked him down, and the left front wheel caught his leg and wrapped him up. It started doing reverse donuts while dragging him and ripping apart his leg.

They finally stopped it and he got LifeFlighted out, but he ended up dying. :(

Damage to a car is the least of our worries.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

VikingSkull posted:

I watched a guy start an F250 from outside the truck by reaching in and pushing the clutch with his hand. He didn't know it was in reverse, it jumped backwards, knocked him down, and the left front wheel caught his leg and wrapped him up. It started doing reverse donuts while dragging him and ripping apart his leg.

They finally stopped it and he got LifeFlighted out, but he ended up dying. :(

Damage to a car is the least of our worries.

Yikes. Was something holding the throttle open, or was it doing this at idle?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Doing it at idle. The wheel was turned hard to the right, so when it went backwards the open door knocked him down and the all terrains must have caught his jeans or something. The gearing in reverse was enough to get it up to a reasonable speed.

If it was a younger guy he may have avoided serious injury, but a lot of the drivers at auction, either our employees or ones sent by dealers are retirees. This guy worked for a dealer and was in his late 60's, the loss of blood ended up killing him.

If any of you go to auctions, be extra careful. Sale day can be extremely dangerous. In the 14 years I've been there, I've seen 9 LifeFlights land on our property for various reasons, though this particular case is the only one that resulted in a fatality IIRC.

e- speaking of the auction, here's one that I'm not sure what thread it belongs to. I'll just put it here. The work was quality, but, uh, a bit much. Appropriate given the discussion, though! It was a real Saleen S281 SC, too.

Custom paint may be good if you keep the car forever, but it destroys the wholesale value of a car. That thing had 11,000 miles, ran perfect, and sold for ~$10,000. Maybe you get lucky and there's two guys at the auction who both love the paint and get in a bidding war, but custom vehicles should almost always be sold privately.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 1, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Never would have guessed auction worker to fall under most hazardous jobs. Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The speed limit is 10mph on our property, and once two dealers were driving in opposite directions, speeding, and hit head on. They had to use the jaws of life to cut one guy out. Not injured badly, but the drivers door was stuck and he was complaining of back pain and had a pretty nasty looking head wound, so off came part of the roof so they could get the backboard in.

I'm used to it now, it's sort of like learning how to be a pedestrian in a major city like New York.

That being said, though, the past few years have been relatively calm with no major incidents. Partly because the economy has our volume way down.

I have a bunch of great stories. I'd make a thread but I signed a NDA, so I'd rather not.

e- Here's what our "security" does in its off time.

Puts my Tbird abuse in perspective.

e2- Here's an exotic spotting video at our flagship location. Watch at 5:07

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 1, 2012