Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

slidebite posted:

So Mrs. Slidebite and I are planing our next vacation and came across this:

http://www.brooklandsconcorde.com/moreinfo.html

An authentic Concorde flight sim.

Almost enough to make me what to go to the UK.

Long shot I know, but has anyone here done it?

Had planned to check it out last time we were back in the UK but we got screwed by flight delays so had to write off the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Humbug posted:

BBC made a cool documentary on the battle of the beams, interviewing one of the lead British scientists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhKcsMcInk

I remember reading about this; at times it was almost Pythonesque how they would bend/re-direct beams so bombs would fall in the middle of the North Atlantic or plow some field somewhere.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

THe answers you got from others is pretty much the long and short of it. Every squadron does it a little differently but the end result is the same. However it isnt exactly true that the callsigns are never used airborne, they definitely are.

When are they used outside of internal chatter? I've never heard one on a tactical or ATC net.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

When are they used outside of internal chatter? I've never heard one on a tactical or ATC net.

I've seen flights use the lead's personal callsign as theirs.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
But where? If it's in the airspace system they are using FAA call signs, if it's tactical they're using ATO. Maybe in a training mission and only while talking to a ground unit or something?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Looks like that search for buried Spitfires in Burma is going ahead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20515659

quote:

Work is due to start in January to unearth dozens of missing British Spitfires believed to have been buried in the Burmese jungle at the end of World War II.

What began as one man's quest to discover the truth of claims that unused unassembled aircraft were packed into crates and buried by the RAF in Burma in 1945 has captured the imagination of a war games company and a team of experts, including archaeologists and scientists.

They all gathered at the Imperial War Museum in London on Wednesday to outline their plans for the dig, due to get under way in the New Year.

It is thought 36 planes could be lying undiscovered in Mingaladon - one of three sites where it is believed as many as 60 Spitfires in total may be located.

After hearing the story of the buried planes, he sought out eyewitness accounts from American and British service personnel, as well as local people, who told him how scores of brand new Mark XIV Spitfires were buried in 1945 under the orders of Lord Mountbatten.

He said one local Burmese man recalled how, as a 15-year-old, he and his father had transported timber that had been used as the Spitfires were buried. The local man led him to the spot where the planes had been put.

He is confident if the Spitfires are found it will be possible to fly them again. However it remains to be seen what condition the planes might be in, having been underground for 67 years.

And if they are discovered to be salvageable, some may be back in the UK as early as spring 2013.

I'll be amazed if they're in half as good a condition as he seems to think.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lobster God posted:

Looks like that search for buried Spitfires in Burma is going ahead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20515659

I'll be amazed if they're in half as good a condition as he seems to think.

That's an odd phrasing throughout the article. They've already searched for them and found them, the remaining bit is digging them up.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3571182.ece

quote:

According to Mr Cundall’s research, 124 Spitfires were buried in this way at five sites. Their existence has been known of for years, but it was only in February that his team confirmed two burial places with the use of ground radar and remote-controlled cameras inserted into the crates through boreholes.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I still remember the training mission for those things in Jane's USAF. Austin 1, Magnum

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Phanatic posted:

That's an odd phrasing throughout the article. They've already searched for them and found them, the remaining bit is digging them up.

As far as I know they were located by ground radar quite some time ago. There should, as far as I remember, be 12 unpacked - still in cradles and 8 assembled aircraft. The reason they weren't excavated and returned to the UK was some legal bullshit about transportation of weapons across Myanmar borders.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I'll jump on the vulturesrow QA session as well.
<---F/A18C and E, O3E looking to get on the vulturesrow dreamride known as "I'm a Terminal O4 so gently caress your fitrep cycle" (:ssh:actually I'm a Kool-Aid drinker, I want to command a squadron one day, but terminal O4 would not suck either)

But where? If it's in the airspace system they are using FAA call signs, if it's tactical they're using ATO. Maybe in a training mission and only while talking to a ground unit or something?

You will rarely hear them on those channels, never with a ground unit unless you're talking to an old buddy or something in a zero-threat environment (training A/G range talking to a JTAC you went bar hopping with at some conference for example). Maybe on the link if we're talking to another flight in country or around the boat, but even that is 'internal' to the airwing normally (note to aspiring pilots, nothing is 'internal', everything is recorded: I've found this out the hard way). I've never seen a personal callsign used for a training flight, but that may be a Navy vs AF thing.

You're right, they're mostly for internal use, or in an emergency. If you're concerned about a member of your flight maintaining awareness/consciousness (hypoxia is probably the most common 'awareness' emergency, followed by G-loc) it's been shown that using their name is much more likely to get a response than 'Jackass 21' or whatever you are that day. But you don't want to throw around real names on the radio (especially open range/ATC freqs, especially in a situation where a crash/ejection is possible...) so you would use a personal callsign.

Short answer is: we don't use personal callsigns much at all airborne.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a question for mr. vulturesrow. I once read a newspaper article on how navy fliers get their call-signs. While I've forgotten the actual process, because the other pilots were picking each other's call-signs, the results didn't end up with many Icemen. I remember that one guy got assigned the call-sign "shooter" (because once when on leave he accidentally shot himself in the foot) and somebody else got "mumbles" (because she was a US citizen raised in England and Switzerland and had a odd mixed accent.)

Anyway, questions: can you tell us about this process? Is this accurate?

Lots of good, accurate answers on this already. The AF way is exactly like the Navy way, but we would almost (aaaaalmost) never do it in public because we're bad at decent, human interaction and behavior when we drink together.
See:
Tailhook '91
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2011189,00.html
http://www.cafepress.com/dd/6856558 Good job to the guys wearing this in public in a bar in Virginia Beach. It only made the NY Times.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 29, 2012

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Friend of mine from college that's now flying F-18s has the call sign "Mogen".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus, I didn't even know this was still winding its way through the courts.

French appeals court overturns manslaughter convictions for Continental Airlines and mechanic in the 2000 Concorde crash.

quote:

A French appeals court overturned manslaughter convictions against Continental Airlines and a mechanic for the July 2000 crash of an Air France Concorde that killed 113 people, ruling Thursday that their mistakes did not make them legally responsible for the deaths.

The crash hastened the end for the already-faltering supersonic Concorde, synonymous with high-tech luxury but a commercial failure. The program, jointly operated by Air France and British Airways, was taken out of service in 2003.

In the accident, which occurred on July 25, 2000, the jet crashed into a hotel near Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport soon after taking off, killing all 109 people aboard and four on the ground. Most of the victims were Germans heading to a cruise in the Caribbean.

A mistake made weeks earlier and thousands of miles away by a Continental mechanic in Houston played a crucial role in the crash, the court found.

According to the original ruling, the mechanic fitted the wrong metal strip on a Continental DC-10. The piece ultimately fell off on the runway in Paris, puncturing the Concorde's tire. The burst tire sent bits of rubber into the fuel tanks, which started the fire that brought down the plane.

But the Concorde's design left it vulnerable to shock, according to judicial investigators who said officials had known about the problem for more than 20 years. The lower court ruled that though French officials had missed opportunities to improve the Concorde over the years, they could "be accused of no serious misconduct."
More here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/11/29/france-concorde-conviction-air-france.html

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Tide posted:

Friend of mine from college that's now flying F-18s has the call sign "Mogen".
I've had some good nights at the Fallon O'club with Mogen

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Training missions. First off, realize that training sorties make up the overwhelming majority of a pilot's hours. They have to fly a certain number of sorties every month, in addition to performing certain tasks (night landings, for example) so in reality it can be much higher than the minimum sorties. I wasn't a pilot, but I had to fly twice a month as an "inexperienced" crewmember, then once after I had enough hours. But in a 12-month period, I had to perform a specific number of other tasks that couldn't be accomplished in the minimum number of flights. A lot of fighter pilots will fly once a week, sometimes more. So when we're talking about generic flying operations, the standard example is going to be a training mission.

We'll use the sadly defunct callsign Fury (of the 1FS) as the example. Even when under ATC control in FAA/ATC airspace, they're using the mission callsign. Even though Fury flight is four aircraft, under ATC control only the flight lead (Fury 01) will talk to the controller (barring an emergency/loss of radio) and the entire flight will stick together. Once they enter the tactical airspace, ATC will give control (varying levels, depends on a variety of things) to either the fighters, the GCI agency, or AWACS. The fighters will either go autonomous or fall under control of GCI/AWACS...in either case, they're going to use their individual callsigns now, Fury 01, 02, 03, 04. Here's where the Navy is different...they'll have one callsign prior to entering their airspace, then they'll switch to the "tactical" callsign, but neither is a standard ATC-style callsign. They might change from something like Charger to Bingo. For the AF at least, mission callsigns usuall fall in line with the squadron flying the mission (ie, Fury for the 1FS, Beagle for the 2d, Bones for the 95th), but sometimes the lead uses something else.

There are CONUS ATOs, but it's not exactly analogous to an in-theater ATO. They're really not even worth thinking about in this situation.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 29, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

One of my personal favorites is a buddy called UTAH...stands for Uptight rear end in a top hat. He flies off the handle at the weirdest poo poo.

This is from a ways back but I have to ask: Is your buddy this Utah? http://www.youtube.com/user/bryden28

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nope. "My" Utah is an AWACS guy that was probably about in junior high when that dude was flying for the Blue Angels.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I figured as much. I still kind of wanted to post his channel in this thread again; really cool videos (and some :tinfoil: UFO stuff).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9eEwyVrAps

This is a talk by the guy who "fixed" all the Rutan designs. And other interesting projects.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

I'll jump on the vulturesrow QA session as well.
<---F/A18C and E, O3E looking to get on the vulturesrow dreamride known as "I'm a Terminal O4 so gently caress your fitrep cycle"
:words:

Thanks, I suspected as much. Just curious since it's a different culture than I'm used to (AH-64D O3 here.)

Thanks too, but if I'm reading correctly that explanation cites a unit callsign used for a flight (which kind of makes sense) as opposed to the flight lead talking to center with "Dickboat69" or whatever his personal one is. A few years ago I flew a bunch of missions under a Marine rotary unit whose pilots all identified themselves by their personal callsign when they introduced themselves during briefings, but never used them anywhere else. Given that anecdote, individual callsigns seem sort of vestigial.

And on our side of the house GWOT flight hours usually vastly outweigh training hours simply due to funds.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Thanks, I suspected as much. Just curious since it's a different culture than I'm used to (AH-64D O3 here.)

Thanks too, but if I'm reading correctly that explanation cites a unit callsign used for a flight (which kind of makes sense) as opposed to the flight lead talking to center with "Dickboat69" or whatever his personal one is. A few years ago I flew a bunch of missions under a Marine rotary unit whose pilots all identified themselves by their personal callsign when they introduced themselves during briefings, but never used them anywhere else. Given that anecdote, individual callsigns seem sort of vestigial.

And on our side of the house GWOT flight hours usually vastly outweigh training hours simply due to funds.

Usually, yes it was a squadron callsign, but I've seen it a few times where it was the flight lead's personal callsign. I wouldn't claim it was at all common, though. Callsign use in everyday situations is VERY common in the fighter community, I assume more than in rotaries.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Pictures from the flight last night. KBKL-KBJJ-KLCK and back. Picked up my friend at KBJJ (Wooster/Wayne County) and he took some cool pictures throughout the flight.

Our arrival into KBJJ

Final 23R KLCK

KLCK has a lot of cargo ops. Rickenbacker FBO was awesome. Free parking for 2hrs, courtesy car, and friendly staff.

gigButt fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 30, 2012

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That first pic looks like a missile flying in and exploding into the ground. AWESOME

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Geizkragen posted:

http://www.cafepress.com/dd/6856558 Good job to the guys wearing this in public in a bar in Virginia Beach. It only made the NY Times.

Spoken like a true plastic bug driver :rolleyes:

(:v:)

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Given that anecdote, individual callsigns seem sort of vestigial.

In everyday life we never use anything but personal callsigns. There are guys that I've flown with for three+ years whose first names I have to look up when I try to email them.

Edit:

iyaayas01 posted:

plastic bug

Huh? Never heard that one before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Huh? Never heard that one before.

Hornet.

On a related note, the last Fighter Fling video by the F-14 community, from 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyI04WDZlQ

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

Hornet.

On a related note, the last Fighter Fling video by the F-14 community, from 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyI04WDZlQ

Good grief Tomcat crews are (were) front-runners for the Most Insufferable Aviator Community Award, Military or Civilian.

Unrelated, here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Vb4JlYSWs

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

Good grief Tomcat crews are (were) front-runners for the Most Insufferable Aviator Community Award, Military or Civilian.

You've never met Raptor drivers.

I do laugh every time at the start of that video, though. "First Tomcat Flight...First Hydraulic Failure....First Ejection."

And yeah, plastic bug is a pejorative for the Hornet, usually uttered by the Real Men (tm) who flew the last true Navy fighter, the Tomcat, which was built at the Grumman Ironworks out of good ol' fashioned 'Murican metal, as opposed to the plastic composite POS fighter/attack Hornet (their opinion, not mine.)

e: I've only watched the first 30 seconds, but I can confidently say that the C-5 video owns. All old school AF videos like that are awesome. Also the old school C-5 white/grey paint scheme with the blue cheat line was pretty nifty, as was the similar SAC era KC-10 paint scheme.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 1, 2012

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There is something unique about the F-14, as far as perception goes, and I guess I'm not surprised to hear that it applies to its pilots as well. Might be Top Gun, might be that it sat on the pure anti-air role for so long while everyone else started slinging bombs too, might be that it was a swing-wing and the U.S. didn't make many of those, might be that sort of technical-numbers fetishism because it could engage a whole lot of targets from a long way away (though it rarely was authorized to do so, IIRC.)

They do look very much of an era. Cold Warrior type planes, like the MiG-25 and -31.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

There is something unique about the F-14, as far as perception goes, and I guess I'm not surprised to hear that it applies to its pilots as well. Might be Top Gun, might be that it sat on the pure anti-air role for so long while everyone else started slinging bombs too, might be that it was a swing-wing and the U.S. didn't make many of those, might be that sort of technical-numbers fetishism because it could engage a whole lot of targets from a long way away (though it rarely was authorized to do so, IIRC.)

They do look very much of an era. Cold Warrior type planes, like the MiG-25 and -31.

It's really too bad the TF30 was a piece of poo poo completely out of place in a fighter like the F-14. Then again, I'm not sure what engine would have better served the early Tomcats.

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

Nerobro posted:

This is a talk by the guy who "fixed" all the Rutan designs. And other interesting projects.

This has a ton of fascinating stuff in it that I'd never heard before.

I had no idea about the a-10's gun causing flameouts due to exhaust gasses. Crazy.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

vulturesrow posted:

I'm gonna answer these in generic EW terms rather than specific capabilities of the EA-6B:

Ever tried cooking popcorn or a Hot Pocket or other microwave food with the jamming pods? Obviously you can't crank the power on the ground with people standing around, but I could see somebody taping a bag of popcorn to the radome before heading out on an exercise just to see if it works, for :science:.

Less silly question: can the Prowler/Prowler crews still drop bombs if necessary, or has the airplane/training evolved beyond that?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Exothermos posted:

This has a ton of fascinating stuff in it that I'd never heard before.

I had no idea about the a-10's gun causing flameouts due to exhaust gasses. Crazy.

The bits on rain causing the *ez designs to dive surprised me. And the idea that he could get an airfoil that was laminar past 60% chord.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Delivery McGee posted:

Ever tried cooking popcorn or a Hot Pocket or other microwave food with the jamming pods? Obviously you can't crank the power on the ground with people standing around, but I could see somebody taping a bag of popcorn to the radome before heading out on an exercise just to see if it works, for :science:.

Less silly question: can the Prowler/Prowler crews still drop bombs if necessary, or has the airplane/training evolved beyond that?
Funny story... Microwave ovens concentrate a high flux of power in a small box and do it for a long time to heat food. Radars are not generally dangerous to birds because despite the high power, it's spread out over many meters of cross section and birds only spend a few moments in the beam. But early Arleigh-Burke class destroyers placed one of the SPY-1D radar arrays right beside a small platform that unfortunately proved to be quite popular for seagulls to land and rest. They raised it in later designs as cleaning up all the dead birds became an unwelcomed chore.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nerobro posted:

The bits on rain causing the *ez designs to dive surprised me. And the idea that he could get an airfoil that was laminar past 60% chord.

That seems to be a common occurrence in aircraft with forward lifting surfaces; the Piaggio Avanti exhibits the same tendency when flying in rain as well.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nerobro posted:

This is a fantastic video and was worth watching the whole way through.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

According to the original ruling, the mechanic fitted the wrong metal strip on a Continental DC-10. The piece ultimately fell off on the runway in Paris, puncturing the Concorde's tire. The burst tire sent bits of rubber into the fuel tanks, which started the fire that brought down the plane.

Let me get this straight. DC-10's are no longer content in killing their own passengers, but are now resorting to killing other aircraft's?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

co199 posted:

Prowlers incoming!

Late to the party, but they had a couple Prowlers next to our C-130 MX squadron at Bagram, always wanted to go chit chat but never found the time.

We also had a couple twine turboprop Army birds, I'm assuming Intel because they were COVERED cockpit to tail in antennas.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 2, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Delivery McGee posted:

From memory, the Prowler could carry HARMs, it's got the hardpoints for ordinance. I don't know whether it'd have the software to drop bombs effectively.

The Growler is meant to be very very close to the Super Hornet; it's only lost the internal cannon and the wingtip rails to EW kit. It's kept all the underwing hardpoints and I can't see any reason they'd want to remove the ordianance functionality.

This site posted:

In a surveillance-only configuration the Growler is armed with two AIM-120 air-to-air missiles for self defence. For stand-off jamming and escort jamming missions the Growler is armed with two AGM-88 anti-radiation missiles plus two AIM-120 missiles. In a strike configuration the Growler is armed with two each of AGM-88 HARM missiles, AGM-154 JSOW joint stand-off weapon (block 2 aircraft) and AIM-120 air-to-air missiles.

The JSOW is a precision guided glide bomb, so . . . it's a bomb, so I guess the Growler can drop bombs.

Also, there being back-seaters in a Hornet or Growler makes me sad that the RN only has Observers (our name for back-seaters) in helicopters and we've bought single-seat fixed wing aircraft. Plus, by being a STOVL carrier, we can't upgrade or buy new CATOBAR aircraft in the future without a costly refit. Guess fixed wing is not for me. Oh well, I really want small ship helicopter flight anyway.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 2, 2012

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
USS Enterprise has been inactivated. In other news, the name will live on.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/uss-enterprise-inactivated-cvn.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MrChips posted:

That seems to be a common occurrence in aircraft with forward lifting surfaces; the Piaggio Avanti exhibits the same tendency when flying in rain as well.
Piaggio? The scooter manufacturer?