Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree it's a legitimate reading, and concede it's not more far-fetched than the conventional and superficial readings according to which it's plain poo poo. The difference is that viewing Star Wars on that low level should still be enjoyable.

There's a lot of non-nerds who legitimately enjoy the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Rad Valtar posted:

I was always intrigued by the mystique of how we got to the OT. When I was a kid me and my friend always talked about things like how Anakin became Vader, how did the Emperor gain power, what happened to all the Jedi. I'm not sure though that I ever really wanted the answers, I always felt that the mystique of it all would be far more interesting then Lucas actually going back and piecing together the puzzle because there were always going to be things that would get messed up in the story telling. The actual problem is what he did was far worse then even I expected.

We don't always need to see how everything happened. Knowing that Darth Vader was once a child is far different then seeing the whiny rear end in a top hat on screen. It's far more interesting to speculate about what happened to the Emperor in the OT before you know Mace Windu deflected a lighting storm off his face.

Maybe its just the imaginative child in me that loved to come up with scenarios of how the characters got to the places they were in the OT.

This is why the PT is more popular among kids, I think. They watch them with no preconceived notions. They haven't been mulling over backstory for 30 years in their heads. After that long, ANYTHING would be disappointing.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Hatter106 posted:

This is why the PT is more popular among kids, I think. They watch them with no preconceived notions. They haven't been mulling over backstory for 30 years in their heads. After that long, ANYTHING would be disappointing.

Your imagination is a better ground for the prequels, anyways. Thoughts are more nimble than film, after all. It doesn't lessen the medium, but the Jedi Order is all about mystery and promise, and showing us what they were is inevitably going to disappoint. I feel the same way with the sequels. Luke and company go on and have adventures, which is great and all, but none of them are going to live up to the original trilogy. You'd have to seriously change what you're doing with the films (see the differences between the Iliad and the Odyssey to see the oldest proof of this) because Star Wars is a pretty closed story. Sure, he could fight Thrawn or the Yog-Sothoths or anything else from the EU (doesn't Han's kid become the Emperor or something?), but that's just a new enemy to overlay into the archetype, and the OT owns that archetype. You'd have to make something that challenges the OT in some way for it to matter.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Hatter106 posted:

People need to stop saying stuff like this. I was 10 years old when TPM came out. It's a garbage movie and I fell asleep in the theater watching both that movie and Attack of the Clones. I've never fallen asleep in the theater for any other movie ever. The best thing I can say about Revenge of the Sith is that I didn't fall asleep watching it. In fact it was the most fun I had with the prequels because I was laughing so hard at the NOOOOOOO thing. I wanted to love those movies. They're just so poorly made. I honestly don't care about changing the backstory. Sure it was dumb that there were so many Jedi in the prequels, considering Han Solo didn't even know what the force was, but I could deal with it if people weren't just talking about boring nothing for two and a half hours.

Kids are dumb, obviously. There are movies that you loved as a kid that you should never watch again as an adult. You know why? Because those movies are awful and watching them again will only illustrate that. A lot of people were children and like the prequels, only to grow up and understand why they're awful.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah... My dislike the prequels has very little to do with what I thought Star Wars 'should' be. Even the midichlorians thing wouldn't have been all that bad if it wasn't just another sticking point in a sea of awful.

I'm not sure I ever saw Star Wars as much more than a fun adventure movie with a neat aesthetic, and I would be very satisfied if Episode VII was just Pirates of the Caribbean in space. The prequels came off as something written by the kind of awful fanboy that SMG is talking about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Precambrian posted:

Your imagination is a better ground for the prequels, anyways. Thoughts are more nimble than film, after all. It doesn't lessen the medium, but the Jedi Order is all about mystery and promise, and showing us what they were is inevitably going to disappoint.

Yes making a movie is inevitably less interesting than not making the movie at all. What?

If you can't tell, I hate this defeatist line where somehow the prequels were destined to be horrible because telling a story will upset everyone. "Well it was always going to be one of the legendarily bad movies of all time anyway, let that be a lesson."

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes making a movie is inevitably less interesting than not making the movie at all. What?

If you can't tell, I hate this defeatist line where somehow the prequels were destined to be horrible because telling a story will upset everyone. "Well it was always going to be one of the legendarily bad movies of all time anyway, let that be a lesson."

The thing is, being bad wasn't inevitable, it was just bound to disappoint. And disappointing isn't necessarily a bad thing. The funny thing is, the prequels actually come close to being good by virtue of undercutting the original trilogy (which, I presume, would disappoint fans even if they enjoyed the movie). They actually say something and influence the originals. As I posted earlier, the prequels now make it possible that Obi Wan and Yoda are kind of full of poo poo. Acting all high and mighty like the Clone Wars didn't blow a hole in their mode of thinking.

If you're curious about "how did Anakin Skywalker fall to the dark side?", your imagination is more qualified than film to show this- because thoughts are nimble and not committed. You can turn them around all you want, act out a story from what the original movies give you and add a considerable chunk of whatever would please yourself. Films, however, are not nimble. They're concrete. The prequels had to commit to saying something about the original trilogy. But the problem is, what can you really add to Star Wars? It's a closed story. Your imagination can satisfy your curiosity, but if you make a movie out of it, you've got to do something with the material or you're just knocking events off a checklist in a weird, ritualistic fashion. There's no mystery to resolve, no secrets to reveal. I don't care to learn what planet Anakin became Vader on, nor do I want to know about the surgeon who designed the suit. Anything you show is only good for how it engages the source material, or why bother with the Star Wars label?.

Honestly, though, I think the real problem is that Star Wars isn't all that great. It deserves cynicism. Don't lump me in with SMG, I don't really see the fandom in this (though, shifting through Wookiepedia to learn they are actually called the Yuuzhan Vohn, I have grown to loathe the worthless minutiae of the EU) anymore than I see Lucas. The franchise itself is flawed- you look at it long enough and cracks show up. I cited KOTOR 2 earlier because it does the same thing: undercut Star Wars. I think there's more general problems with sequels and prequels, but ultimately, Star Wars is a brand that I enjoyed, but don't really see much more to it. That, more than anything, is where my "defeatism" comes from.

You can make a good movie from anything, so, sure, it's possible there's a great Star Wars movie kicking around. I don't have much invested in the franchise, so I wouldn't be crushed if it's not. They could engage the question of what Reconstruction is like under the Rebellion. Say something about Luke's supposed "synthesis", do something with the politics of the first movie, something that engages Star Wars. There are as many options as one can imagine. But there's enough Star Wars tie-ins that show the other option: just repackage the original trilogy with a new villain, like Blizzard properties with a new corrupted hero. They're pointless, and while the prequels certainly underwhelm, at least they say something interesting, even if it disappoints.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Plan 9 From Outer Space requires a fairly unnatural reading to make enjoyable; call that reading "enlightened" or "ironic" or just plain "wrong," you must admit that it's very different from the mindset under which many people really loved the original trilogy. Who wants a successor to Plan 9 when they could have a successor to Star Wars? Should a new Star Wars movie really reveal the folly of liking the old ones? Does the mere fact of their separation in time mean that it's inappropriate to criticize them for failing to maintain tonal and thematic consistency (as "episodes" are they not in fact best interpreted as parts of a whole)? Maybe if they had been released under a different title nobody would care.

The prequels aren't dissing the original Star Wars. They are dissing bad 'readings' of Star Wars that focus on the tech, the plot and the ostensible realism over such things as basic cinematic technique and symbolism.

R2-D2 is not just 'a robot' but the robot, in a philosophical sense. Lucas uses him to talk about the philosophy of artificial intelligence, which is why you have the scene of him playing chess against Chewbacca. It's a fairly direct reference to the Turing test. The original Star Wars is loaded with references to Marshall McLuhan, such as the preponderance of perspective lines and references to 'tribal' cultures. There are countless scenes of characters interacting with different media. Han Solo spends like a straight minute blowing up security cameras, and then impersonates a guard over the radio. (Seriously, pay attention to how many insert shots of security cameras exploding there are). C-3P0, a translator robot, is unable to distinguish cheering from screaming over his radio. This theme of different media and their powers/limitations is so important to the film that it culminates in Luke's decision to shut off his targeting computer. It's why Vader has multiple prosthetic limbs. It's why Leia's message looks like television. This is what Star Wars is predominately 'about'.

In the prequels, the media is digital photography, CGI and whatnot. As the medium is different, so is the message. Lucas does not try to disguise his effects. He foregrounds them and their artifice. The prequels were always going to be different from the original films, by sheer fact of being prequels made at the turn of the millenium with brand-new technologies.

Expecting 'consistency' is exactly why the prequels were needed. Everyone demanded 'more Star Wars' and that's precisely what they got - an assload as Star Wars Brand Product, straight from the same franchise that brought you collectible Pepsi cans. I appreciate the honesty. It's the same honesty as in Transformers.

What people should have demanded is 'more films like Star Wars, (e.g. films shot on film - with muppets, 'primitive' optical effects, and progressive political themes). Beyond The Black Rainbow is a good, recent example. Beyond The Black Rainbow is a retrospective on the 1980s, where the Star Wars prequels are unmistakably films about life in the early 2000s. They have absolutely nothing to do with life in the late 1970s/1980s. They could have been, but they were not.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 1, 2012

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I saw the prequels first when I was still a kid. They were usually boring and there were entire scenes of dialogue I just muted out as I saw them, but the lightsaber fights were awesome. Did you see how fast the lazer swords moved? It was so cool!!!

I can't believe a time has come when my favourite lightsaber fight in the entire two trilogies is the final one between Luke and Vader.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Expecting 'consistency' is exactly why the prequels were needed. Everyone demanded 'more Star Wars' and that's precisely what they got - an assload as Star Wars Brand Product, straight from the same franchise that brought you collectible Pepsi cans. I appreciate the honesty. It's the same honesty as in Transformers.

Is it possible that Lucas giving people consistency might not have been in order to show them the failing of wanting consistency, and actually was his own attempt to 'be consistent'? This is an honest question - your idea of what the prequels are saying seems to rely on Lucas giving people Star Wars Brand Product to make a point, where surely it might also be the case that Lucas was just giving people Star Wars Brand Product because he wanted to make it?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Voodoofly related a story about Lucas in the chat thread that seems relevant to this discussion a couple months ago I hope he doesn't mind me reporting it here:

Voodoofly posted:

How does George Lucas crush someone's soul in two words?

This is sometime between the release of Episode 1 and Episode 2 - probably fall of 2000. We had a continually running class that took on one or two directors for the entire semester. The year before I had taken the Hitchcock class. This semester it was on George Lucas. The class filled super quickly because it was open to all students and film students didn't get priority, so basically if you weren't a senior or lucky junior you didn't get in. Unless you were working in the projection booth for that class, like I was.

The class is roughly 250 people with a makeup of what you probably suspect. The Q and A with George was week 14, so by then we had been able to recognize certain people from up in the booth. One of those people was basically a tall, skinny guy who was obviously a HUGE fan of Star Wars. He wasn't a jerky pedantic fan, but you could tell from his questions throughout the year (and from random conversations we would hear him in before class) that he absolutely adored the films and the characters. He was also one of the big Jar Jar apologists in the class and would passionately defend Episode 1, which seemed to be what half of the questions and conversations outside of the class and during the break were about. Frankly, he seemed like a nice enough guy and was much more tolerable than a lot of the other "noticeable" people in that class. For simplicity I'll just call him Tim because it is short to type.

Cut to George Lucas day. The professor gives a thirty minute spiel waxing poetic about University Board Member and huge donor Mr. Lucas. Gorge Speaks for about twenty minutes. Then there is a Q and A session which lasts about an hour. One microphone on each of the two aisles, people standing in line to ask questions, professor stepping in from time to time to expand on things. This class runs from 7 to 11 at night, so it is around 9 as the session wraps up. There are only a couple of people left in line to ask questions, and we notice up in the booth that Tim has slowly made his way down one of the aisles and now is the last person in that line.

Tim's time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can't even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. "So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?"

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn't move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a "pondering" pose, then looks back and slowly says "They died." He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn't see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said "I think you answered my question already" and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said "If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes."

People slowly shuffled out of the theater. I had to stay in the booth to get things set up, so I never saw Tim's face, but I do know it took him about two minutes before he left that now dead mic on the left aisle. I didn't see anyone in his seat once we got the film going after break. Tim didn't show for the final class, although to be fair there was only one more class left, and that is the one that they screened Episode 1. I can't honestly say I blame him.

I knew a few people who took the class, and I guess Tim turned in his final about thirty minutes into the test. Those finals are two to three hour multi-part essay tests, and you take them in the big theater, so everyone saw him turn it in way, way before anyone else finished. I'd love to have read what he wrote in that bluebook.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
That story is proof that George Lucas has the same amount of contempt for his audience as Michael Bay.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Granted if I made a film about revolutionary social change and the thing that viewers took from it is how to calculate the diameter of the Death Star and what color swords there are I'd be a bit frustrated too.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Oh yeah, it's perfectly understandable, I just think it's hilarious.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Precambrian posted:

KOTOR 2 does the exact same thing as the prequels do, only you have a character (Kreia) that openly comments on all these points. It's a goon favorite for calling out that the Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy is silly, that Jedi really don't make sense as anything other than a vague history, and it attacks its predecessor's simple morality. Don't get me wrong, I loved the OT, but the core story didn't scale all that well while I got older. Whether Lucas deliberately attacked them with the prequels or if Star Wars itself cannot support anything more than the first three movies, I don't know. It isn't important to me. Outside of his humanitarian work, George Lucas the man is fairly boring.

I know it's not probably the best place to ask, but at least it is more on topic than Pirates chat.

I've been following along the thread, and this post made me remember the Let's Play on KOTOR2 where the goon restored the cut content from the game. Except I can't find that thread anywhere. I checked the LP archives for the past 5 or 6 years, as well as the Goldmine. Anyone happen to have the link for it?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Hockles posted:

I know it's not probably the best place to ask, but at least it is more on topic than Pirates chat.

I've been following along the thread, and this post made me remember the Let's Play on KOTOR2 where the goon restored the cut content from the game. Except I can't find that thread anywhere. I checked the LP archives for the past 5 or 6 years, as well as the Goldmine. Anyone happen to have the link for it?

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

There's a link for the SA thread at the top of the page.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That was really quick, thanks so much!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Lucas is an excellent storyteller, as always.

I always thought it was much cooler that the ultimate fate of the heroes was up to speculation (Expanded Universe is a dogshit idea what is wrong with you people). Also, wasn't it obvious that eventually the characters would die? Like, I'm pretty sure that's life 101.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

CPFortest posted:

That story is proof that George Lucas has the same amount of contempt for his audience as Michael Bay.

How so? Lucas gave him a correct if somewhat snippy answer. Obviously nothing happened to the characters once the film ended, they ceased to be. They didn't grow old, or have kids, or go on any more adventures. Maybe that nerdling learned a little about film criticism that day, though its pretty unlikely. Is it less contemptuous for the EU to pump out thoughtless drivel for people to consume in their desperate attempt to escape real life?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

rakovsky maybe posted:

How so? Lucas gave him a correct if somewhat snippy answer. Obviously nothing happened to the characters once the film ended, they ceased to be. They didn't grow old, or have kids, or go on any more adventures. Maybe that nerdling learned a little about film criticism that day, though its pretty unlikely. Is it less contemptuous for the EU to pump out thoughtless drivel for people to consume in their desperate attempt to escape real life?

I'm kind of surprised the guy hadn't read them already.

Did Lucas ever have any creative control / specific ideas for the expanded universe or was it made completely without his involvement?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The prequels aren't dissing the original Star Wars. They are dissing bad 'readings' of Star Wars that focus on the tech, the plot and the ostensible realism over such things as basic cinematic technique and symbolism.

I'm not sure they actively do this so much as the criticism that's erupted since points to this gap between what Star Wars is and what fans think of it.

The thing that I think makes "Star Wars" as a film series such an accomplishment is that it creates a fantasy universe that runs entirely on movie logic. Now, you might say that all movies run on movie logic, but Lucas came from a generation more aware of what movie logic was and how you use shorthand and parallels to tell a story and how the audience will always excuse certain things. Hyperdrive works because it has a nifty special effect, lightsabers work and are better than guns because it looks cool to swing a sword made of colored light, etc. (Even in the prequels, the politics people complain about are just dressing for "The bad guys invade the good guy planet" or "the bad guy becomes more powerful." It's all really just setup for the scene where the Emperor literally throws the Senate at Yoda and destroys it in the process.)

You look at material in the Expanded Universe stuff, and it often tends to miss this point. You get detailed explanations of Rebel and Imperial troop formations, or how Han Solo made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs even if parsecs are a measure of distance and not time, etc. There's discussion of the Holonet and how it can be hacked and how computer "slicing" works even if computers in Star Wars are things that light up and say "the bad guys are coming this way" or "your ship is broken".

Sometimes I find it appealing, because I myself am a nerd, but I hope whoever is in charge of the new movies remembers that Star Wars is about Flash Gordon adventures.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm kind of surprised the guy hadn't read them already.

Did Lucas ever have any creative control / specific ideas for the expanded universe or was it made completely without his involvement?

People have to get his approval to write stuff, but he doesn't do any story ideas himself. Either way they're awful stories.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Lucas' talent or apparently lack there of comes down to this: He is very good at understanding the superficial, surface appearance of things.

The original Star Wars films crib all sorts of superficial things from better movies, and combined with the efforts of his wife, Kasdan, etc., they became more than the sum of their parts. The same thing is true of Indiana Jones; Lucas provided the surface, he knows what a two-fisted pulp hero and his adventures should look like.

That's the essence of his gifts: He knows what things should look like, but not why. Consequently, the prequels are full of the appearance of things that they do not actually contain. Episode II's first half is full of the appearance of a detective story, but there is no mystery, only surface clues that have no relationship to the solution. It's as if someone wrote a locked room mystery with a series of unconnected vignettes and the killer turns out to be rear end in a top hat McDoom whether it makes any sense or not.

The latter two films contain the appearance of a love story. There are love scenes, there's a progression from stolen looks to touching and a adversarial talking and eventually bonding and kissyfaceness, but when viewed as a whole none of it makes sense.

What it all boils down to is that Episode II and III look like they contain a political drama, the breakdown of a friendship, a love story, a convoluted mystery plot, and the decline and fall of a good man into evil, but they don't.

There's really only two possible reasons for this. Either Lucas did it on purpose to highlight what he feels is audience members missing the forest for the trees, or he's autistic. He's either in on the joke or is the joke.

The comments above ("they died") are cyphers, too. Is he being flippant to crush an obsessed nerd's hopes, or was he offering the most literal possible answer (of course they died) because he doesn't understand how human beings work?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It bears repeating that the first half of Episode 2 specifically apes Blade Runner, which was also 'not really' a detective story.

One of the best bits in Episode 2 is when it's revealed that one of the characters is a shape-shifter (created using CGI effects). This fact has absolutely no plot relevance. Consequently, it is entirely of thematic relevance: the shape-shifter underlines the themes of identity, cloning and simulation. The film will later create a million copies of actor Temuera Morrison.

Idiosyncratic C-3PO will have his body switched with that of a mass-produced idiot-robot. This, as well, has absolutely no plot relevance. It's entirely thematic. It's a low-brow gag that conceals some body horror - the new body begins affecting his mind and C3PO starts to enjoy killing his allies.

The prequels are fairly abstract films in this respect, which is why I appreciate them. They are almost antinarrative, but the visuals are clear and concise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The number of faux-detective stories is pretty high- actually putting together a proper mystery is its own very involved process, and it's no surprise that Lucas merely uses the "space detective" business as a hook for more cliffhanger heroics. See also- almost every Batman story ever written.

(I actually speak from experience here- I tried my hand at a radio script that was part space opera part mystery, and the latter really interfered with the former to the extent that I'll have to cull most of it when I go back to rewriting.)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Danger posted:

Voodoofly related a story about Lucas in the chat thread that seems relevant to this discussion a couple months ago I hope he doesn't mind me reporting it here:

I love that story, because it adds to my impression of Lucas as having a great sense of humour about the absurd popularity of his art. Combine this with the image of him wearing a "Han shot first" t-shirt.

edit:

Precambrian posted:

I do like how, across the trilogy, all Fetts die like chumps.

Oh yeah, it's awesome. It's interesting that this minor character with a single speaking line became so popular amongst the fanbase; a testament to whomever in the costume department of Empire put his costume together, since that seems to be the base of it - a guy with a unique helmet and sawed-offed space blaster, he must be cool!

And the ridiculous amount of stuff about him in particular and "Mandolorians" in general that this look spawned, well, it sums up a lot about Star Wars. The popular fan-perception (Fett is a bad-rear end) versus what the story tells us (mercenaries are lovely men who lead sad lives until an ignoble end).

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 1, 2012

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

It bears repeating that the first half of Episode 2 specifically apes Blade Runner, which was also 'not really' a detective story.

One of the best bits in Episode 2 is when it's revealed that one of the characters is a shape-shifter (created using CGI effects). This fact has absolutely no plot relevance. Consequently, it is entirely of thematic relevance: the shape-shifter underlines the themes of identity, cloning and simulation. The film will later create a million copies of actor Temuera Morrison.

Idiosyncratic C-3PO will have his body switched with that of a mass-produced idiot-robot. This, as well, has absolutely no plot relevance. It's entirely thematic. It's a low-brow gag that conceals some body horror - the new body begins affecting his mind and C3PO starts to enjoy killing his allies.

The prequels are fairly abstract films in this respect, which is why I appreciate them. They are almost antinarrative, but the visuals are clear and concise.

I have to support your interpretation only because it's more amusing than "Lucas is autistic".

Since Lucas wrote the whole thing himself, I can't help but wonder if the latter two films, which are clearly divergent from Episode I in a number of ways, aren't a slap at the response to it. Clones and Revenge easily read as Lucas writing the movies the way the audience would write them as a backhanded insult, which would explain why he chose to incorporate character names and events from the expanded universe when he's notoriously either indifferent or outright hostile to it.

I wish he'd write a truly honest autobiography, or a commentary piece or something explaining how he came to loathe what is universally agreed to be his greatest achievement*. How does one go from a love of the pulp so profound it produces Star Wars and Indiana Jones to the sort of casual cruelty of the "they died" response?

I know nerds kill whimsy, but I'm curious to learn if Lucas directly telling Wookiepedia editors that their obsessive wankery made the man who created Star Wars hate it and everything about it.

*His greatest achievement is obviously Howard the Duck, although he is only a producer.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Thulsa Doom posted:

I wish he'd write a truly honest autobiography, or a commentary piece or something explaining how he came to loathe what is universally agreed to be his greatest achievement*. How does one go from a love of the pulp so profound it produces Star Wars and Indiana Jones to the sort of casual cruelty of the "they died" response?

I'm sure he still loves pulp adventure/fantasy, and is proud of his own work on the whole. I don't even see how his response was cruel - he's telling the young man the truth, and possibly teaching him a lesson at the same time. "They lived forever in hellish embrace of nerdom" would have been better?

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
I'd like to see Jimmy Smits . IN the new film.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Danger posted:

To be honest he probably gave him such a snooty answer because he didn't ask a film question, he just asked a fan question.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Art Alexakis posted:

I'd like to see Jimmy Smits . IN the new film.

Him or Ellen Barkin. They're basically the same person.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Black Bones posted:

I'm sure he still loves pulp adventure/fantasy, and is proud of his own work on the whole. I don't even see how his response was cruel - he's telling the young man the truth, and possibly teaching him a lesson at the same time. "They lived forever in hellish embrace of nerdom" would have been better?

It wasn't necessarily cruel, it's more that Lucas comes off as being a dick to one of his fans. What would have been so terrible about Lucas saying instead, "Luke starts training new Jedi in his own order, Leia becomes the head of the new Senate, Han is now the First Gentleman and gets to hang out with Lando, while Chewbacca got the Millennium Falcon and still makes delivery runs but with honest cargo."

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

It wasn't necessarily cruel, it's more that Lucas comes off as being a dick to one of his fans. What would have been so terrible about Lucas saying instead, "Luke starts training new Jedi in his own order, Leia becomes the head of the new Senate, Han is now the First Gentleman and gets to hang out with Lando, while Chewbacca got the Millennium Falcon and still makes delivery runs but with honest cargo."

He probably could've just said that he believes that their story ends when the movie ends, and that what they did afterwards wasn't as important as what happened in the movies themselves.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Or than Han and Chewie aren't people.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Danger posted:

Or than Han and Chewie aren't people.

Well, that would've been the best response, even better than "They Died", but I was going for the most diplomatic response.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Maxwell Lord posted:

You look at material in the Expanded Universe stuff, and it often tends to miss this point. You get detailed explanations of Rebel and Imperial troop formations, or how Han Solo made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs even if parsecs are a measure of distance and not time, etc. There's discussion of the Holonet and how it can be hacked and how computer "slicing" works even if computers in Star Wars are things that light up and say "the bad guys are coming this way" or "your ship is broken".

Sometimes I find it appealing, because I myself am a nerd, but I hope whoever is in charge of the new movies remembers that Star Wars is about Flash Gordon adventures.

Yeah, this has always been my problem with the EU. Turning space opera into sci-fi. Completely abandoning Joseph Campbell's archetypal "Hero's Journey" for technobabble and needless backstory.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Star Wars fans reading a fairy tale today would demand a canonical explanation for how Red-Riding Hood's attacker could speak. (The answer: "Midichlorians.")

Ok, there are definitely nerds in the wild, but the OCD fanbase isnt what made the original trilogy popular, the trilogy created the OCDs. Approaching if from the point that people wanted more Star Wars so we should do what the Star Wars fans want is horrendous logic, you should do what made Star Wars legendary not cater to the people that worship the legend.

I don't even see how making a movie that rips away the smoke and mirrors of the universe and replaces it with midichlorians and boring councils is even vaguely in the tradition of the trilogy anyway. People like Star Wars because there was dogfighting, despite that being a horrendously flawed way to fight in space, they liked the Jedi as few and powerful. They want a universe where Imperial admirals laugh at Darth Vader's trite mythical ideas until they get their throats crushed.

The prequels cant be considered "good" movies on any level because they completely break with the narrative of the Trilogy. Beyond the technical failures they presented they retconed and blew apart the magic of the original features. Which you can actually do if you make a good movie out of it, the new Star Trek gave a finger to 3/4 of the old Star Trek standbys but it was an enjoyable movie in the process and did well in its own right. The prequels on the other hand lean on the Star Wars name to even justify their own existence and would have been incredibly expensive flops if they hadn't gibbed brand recognition from better movies.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Spaceman Future! posted:

People like Star Wars because there was dogfighting, despite that being a horrendously flawed way to fight in space

I've heard this before, and forgive me for the minor aside, but I'm curious why this is, exactly.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Kloaked00 posted:

Because none of that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fans don't know what they want, and what they think they want in any specific terms is usually a terrible or at least completely inapplicable idea. This holds true both for the highly obsessive fans and casual audiences, as well as anybody else who chooses to buy into the fiction. A good movie succeeds by giving the audiences what they actually want; a talented filmmaker can recognize what it was that the fans wanted about other movies, and, if he wishes, make more of it.

The march of technology, socioeconomic shifts, changes in culture, or even changes to the author's place in that culture aren't so rapid or powerful as to render the fundamental appeal of Star Wars obsolete. And that's why the prequels didn't have to be the way they were, and why it's not in vain to hope for Episode 7 and beyond to be like the original trilogy.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 2, 2012

• Locked thread