Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

SmokeyXIII posted:

Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

Our daughter was colicky and pretty high-needs (heck, she still is now at 2). My husband still found time for gaming because newborns sleep a LOT. Here is my biggest piece of advice on that front:

DO NOT PLAY GAMES YOU CANNOT PAUSE unless you are willing to just walk away consequences be damned (League of Legends :argh:)

I don't think deciding on set times to play works too well in those early days because babies won't care about your schedule. Our daughter had to sleep ON someone for the first few weeks and my husband would lay her out on his chest while he played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

SmokeyXIII posted:

Forgive me for the EXCEEDINGLY goony question but I've been really curious lately. My wife is pregnant with our first one, shes 33 weeks along, getting really excited and such. I'm just curious how much video games I can realistically expect to play once the baby is around? I hate to sound like "OH NO MY VIDEO GAMES" but I really don't mean it that way, just legitimately curious about how all enveloping a new baby can be, will it be literally 24/7 no time for video games anymore?

For the first month, plenty of time because the baby will pretty much sleep all day. As a bonus, Daddy chests are a baby's favorite mattress in the first couple weeks so you can get a lot of time sitting on your butt playing games while the wife gets chance to run around unencumbered. Once the baby gets enough neck control to sleep on the boob though you're out of favor.

It will probably get a bit hectic up until about three months of age because then anything goes as far as bedtimes. I recommend NOT taking off to raid in WoW if it's 8pm and the baby still isn't down for the night because your wife will probably be fuming in the other room and wishing for your demise (speaking from personal experience here).

After about three months if you've kept up a good routine the baby should start consistently going to bed at the same time so you can plop down and start playing as long as you keep a baby monitor handy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Twatty Seahag posted:

Our daughter was colicky and pretty high-needs (heck, she still is now at 2). My husband still found time for gaming because newborns sleep a LOT. Here is my biggest piece of advice on that front:

DO NOT PLAY GAMES YOU CANNOT PAUSE unless you are willing to just walk away consequences be damned (League of Legends :argh:)

I don't think deciding on set times to play works too well in those early days because babies won't care about your schedule. Our daughter had to sleep ON someone for the first few weeks and my husband would lay her out on his chest while he played.

XCOM is doing wonders for me right now because I can play it one-handed. Logan starts wailing about 3 minutes after he's set down, seemingly no matter where we set him.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Congrats alterian and papercut!
Been away for obvious reasons, visiting mum and Ben in hospital. Both doing better.

They were granted day release yesterday, I stayed up all night to look after ben, my partner stay up just because they couldn't sleep!?
If anything I was pissed off, at 9pm she said as a matter of fact "you feed him I've just taken something to knock me out for the night"
What the hell happened to working as a team, or talking to each other? I was angry.
And to top it off, I didn't sleep much obviously, feeding at 9, 12, and 3. But neither did she, complains she didn't sleep at all anyway. gently caress me with a bullet in the head. So both of us were tired today. I just wish she would get over the insomnia; otherwise, we're stuffed.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ok! Finally posting pics. I was going to do it earlier, but imgur was giving me issues.

So far so good. We only have a few issues. He got a little jaundicey and the dr thought it was because he lost too much weight his first two days of life while my milk hadn't come in yet so they had us supplement with formula. Pretty much I nurse him for about 45 minutes and if he's still hungry, give him a bottle. He's such a pig though. After we had done that for about 5 days he was back to his birth weight. We don't need to supplement him anymore for weight reasons, but he still has a huge appetite. I'll still nurse for about 45 minutes and he'll need to be topped off with a bottle. Sometimes he only needs half an oz and other times he'' have up to 3ozs. I guess I just have to wait for my supply to increase. I still feel sort of crappy about it, but he's healthy so I guess thats what matters.

We're also having a sort of sleep issue. Every night between about 11 - 2 he wakes up for 3 -4 hours and fusses and cries the whole time. He'll be full, clean diaper, burped, swaddled, everything ok. He'll fall asleep if he's held and rocked, but 5 minutes after he's put in the co-sleeper he starts crying and screaming again. Then its another check of everything, another rocking back to sleep and awake 5 minutes after he's laid down. Last night all I could do is hold him and rock him while he cried his head off for a handful of minutes. He'd then stop and go back to sleep until I set him down. After 3 hours or so one of the laydowns eventually sticks and he stays asleep. He'll then wake up every 3 1/2 hours or so for a feeding and diaper change and go right back to sleep. He'll even let us sleep in till 10 - 10:30! The frustrating part is the whole fall asleep being rocked and wake back up crying. Its only during this part of the day. It would be different if he was just up and alert and wanting interaction, but he's either crying or sleeping while being rocked. I feel bad that he's crying and I don't know whats bothering him. I think we're just going to plan to be up during that part of the night tonight. I joked with my husband that he has the sleep schedule of a college kid.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 2, 2012

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Alterian posted:

So far so good. We only have a few issues. He got a little jaundicey and the dr thought it was because he lost too much weight his first two days of life while my milk hadn't come in yet so they had us supplement with formula. Pretty much I nurse him for about 45 minutes and if he's still hungry, give him a bottle. He's such a pig though. After we had done that for about 5 days he was back to his birth weight. We don't need to supplement him anymore for weight reasons, but he still has a huge appetite. I'll still nurse for about 45 minutes and he'll need to be topped off with a bottle. Sometimes he only needs half an oz and other times he'' have up to 3ozs. I guess I just have to wait for my supply to increase. I still feel sort of crappy about it, but he's healthy so I guess thats what matters.

What an adorable little beast you have there! Congratulations!

In terms of increasing supply, the first thing that comes to mind is making sure that you're drinking enough water. I personally have noticed that if I get less than four hours or so of sleep a night, my supply nosedives; also, taking fenugreek supplements works for many people. Nursing more frequently might also be helpful. Good luck!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I also had tremendous results with fenugreek. At one point I felt like I was bone dry after a bad stomach flu. Within 3 days of taking fenugreek, I was spurting everywhere again. I take the capsules because they're easy to swallow. I'd start today!

At night when you're trying to get him to stay asleep, how long do you hold him after he falls asleep? Sometimes there's a sweet spot; put them down too soon and they're not really asleep enough yet; wait too long and it doesn't work either. This may sound ridiculous, but if I could raise his little arm and he just let it drop instead of rousing, I knew he was in a dead sleep.

I've seen other recommendations here like warming up the cosleeper for a minute with a hot water bottle before putting him in there, so it still feels warm like you and using a sleep sheep or white noise mp3. You will figure out how to transfer without him waking!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Alterian posted:

Ok! Finally posting pics. I was going to do it earlier, but imgur was giving me issues.

:kimchi: He looks like he's on a roller coaster.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Alterian posted:

Be careful with the supplementation, it frequently leads into a downward spiral for your milk supply. It took me 2 months of hard work to wean off of formula supplementation, and I could have avoided some of my troubles if someone had warned me ahead of time.

The bottle nipple flows faster than your nipples, so supplementing can lead to "flow preference." Because they have to work harder for a smaller reward at the breast, they will give up faster because they find that when they stop nursing, they get rewarded with that fast-flowing bottle. This is a double-whammy in terms of bad things for breastfeeding, because it can lead to them not really draining all of the milk before they "give up" on the breast. When all the milk isn't drained, your production will go down, or at the very least, not increase. The other bad part of this is that the milk that they get when the breast is most empty is the fattiest, most satisfying milk (referred to as hindmilk), and when they give up early, they miss the best stuff.

Because the bottle flows faster, babies also end up eating more than they need to, just like when you're hungry and eat really fast vs eating really slowly. Over time, this causes their stomach to stretch, so they constantly want more and more. Your boobs will not be able to keep up with that, so if he gets used to the amount that he gets from the bottle, it's going to be really, really hard to get him to accept the amount your boobs make. (Seriously. Really hard. I went through it and it was horrible.) " One large study (16,755 babies in Belarus) compared feeding volumes in formula-fed and breastfed babies and found that the formula-fed babies consumed 49% more milk at 1 month, 57% at 3 months, and 71% at 5 months.3 Australian research found that between 1 and 6 months of age breastfed babies consistently take on average around 3 ounces (90mL) at a feeding." https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/breast-versus-bottle-how-much-milk-should-baby-take

My personal suggestion is to take the Fenugreek and drink more, as suggested above, and nurse more if your nipples can handle it. You said you're feeding for 45 mins. I'm assuming that that is from both sides. If he finishes both sides and still seems hungry, put him back on the first side before you try topping him off with the bottle. It won't be "full" by that point, but it will have refilled some. I also don't know how often you're nursing him, but you might want to move it up, even if he isn't crying for food. You mention "waiting for your supply to increase," but it isn't going to increase on it's own....you've got to force it. There are a few other tips I can give you, but my post is already super long, and those are the main things.

And I want to say that I'm not judging or anything, it's just that I know how hard it is to get back on track from supplementation. It was so difficult that once I finally did it, my pediatrician and the head lactation consultant at the hospital both separately told me that they had assumed that I wouldn't be able to do it because I was too far gone down the path of supplementation.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Alterian, it sounds like you got bad advice from your doctor regarding the supplementing. It's totally normal for your milk to not come for up to 5 days, and even more normal for babies to lose weight especially if you had iv fluids during your labor. Their stomachs are very tiny and feeding on colostrum 10-12 times a day fills them up.

http://www.ameda.com/breast-feeding/will-my-baby-get-enough-milk-my-milk-%93comes-in%94

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110814223805.htm

This page has info about what is normal in newborn breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

I'd encourage you to seek out your local La Leche League group (http://www.llli.org/webus.html) or an IBCLC for more information and support for breastfeeding. It's not uncommon to receive bad advice from pediatricians as they don't get much training in it in the US.

It's normal for some kids to hang out on the breast for longer than 45 minutes, especially if he's having a growth spurt. This is how baby signals an increase to your milk supply. If you feel you absolutely must supplement, I'd encourage you to pump and feed that instead of formula because a pump will also send signals to increase supply, albeit not as well as the baby suckling will.

Congratulations on your very cute baby!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I worried a ton about my milk supply at first, and now I realized that everything was fine. Nolan also lost over a pound after the birth, but once we got going with breastfeeding, he put it back on easily. It's nerve-wracking for a new mom, but you just have to trust that your body knows what to do. Keep telling yourself that we ARE mammals, and are absolutely built to do this.

Fenugreek is great (you know you're taking enough if your armpits smell like maple syrup), and my midwives also recommended milk thistle. I did both for a few months, and occasionally go back on the fenugreek for a few days when I get my period (which temporarily messes with my supply). It's REALLY really normal for breastfed babies to hang out at the breast a lot - and it's actually a good thing to encourage right now. Your boobs/hormones need that skin-to-skin contact and frequent suckling to lay down the biological "groundwork" for a good supply going forward. Comfort nursing isn't something that you need to prevent or avoid, and probably is as important for both of you as feeding-nursing. I agree with the other ladies that supplementing with formula at this point is not doing you any favors. One thing you can do is pump the side you're not feeding from (while nursing, or right after), and then use that milk to supplement instead of formula. Your boobs are continually producing milk 24/7, so you're never truly "empty"; think of them as a factory, rather than a warehouse. Some doctors just suck at breastfeeding advice, even when they're great in other areas.

I love the video game discussion, by the way. I distinctly remember my husband crying when he found out I was pregnant because he was afraid he'd have to give up video games. There was lots of time for gaming and TV watching the first few months, but like a previous poster, there comes a time with the TV is just too riveting (~4 months old) and I found that Nolan simply wouldn't do anything else but watch if there was a TV on, and then he couldn't nap well after having been around it either. That's when we had to cut out non-naptime gaming and TV watching. MMOs are a bad choice for parents, in my opinion. Arranging for long, uninterrupted chunks of time is tough, and it doesn't give you the same payoff as other forms of relaxation. Two hours playing an MMO doesn't seem like much time at all, but these days, if I have two hours in the evening, it's far more relaxing spent taking a long bath, having sex, reading a book, and working on a project.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for the advice. As of right now It feels like the ratio of breastmilk to formula is about 70% - 30%. I've been meaning to pick up some fenugreek. I might have my husband pick some up for me tomorrow. We have some really old fenugreek seeds in the house, but they're years old now from being used for something else.

I managed to catch a cold at the hospital and I'm just about over it now. I'm sure that didn't help at all. I do have a pump. There's been a couple instances where my boobs are leaking and he won't wake up to feed and I'll get about an oz out. The formula seems to get used more at night or after a really long feeding session when I'm just too exhausted to do it anymore. I think not being sick is going to help out a ton.
My husband had to go back to work since he teaches college classes so I'll be by myself a couple days a week in the afternoon/evening and there were a couple of times I had been nursing forever, he was still fussy, I felt like utter garbage from being sick and my food I had made to eat had been sitting out for a couple hours getting cold trying to get him to not be hungry. On the bright side, he didn't catch my cold! I attribute that to breastfeeding!

Looking up the local la leche league is on my "to do" list. I remember looking into it before and I think they have a weekly meetup close to my house. Would it be ok for me to bring him? I don't want him to catch anything. I think I'm doing it right. I don't have any pain or any skin issues.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 3, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Alterian posted:

Looking up the local la leche league is on my "to do" list. I remember looking into it before and I think they have a weekly meetup close to my house. Would it be ok for me to bring him? I don't want him to catch anything. I think I'm doing it right. I don't have any pain or any skin issues.

If you need help from LLL but can't make it to a meeting, or the meeting isn't for 3 weeks or something, you can call the LLL Leader in your area. They'll provide free advice and help over the phone. And if your local leader turns out to be nuts, at least you can get off the phone fast.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I have two LLL groups In my city and both have really active Facebook groups. I'd take him to a meeting, but I was not at all cautious about leaving the house with my newborn. Just don't let any grimy toddlers grab him and you should be in the clear.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Our doctor recommended supplementing with our baby the first few days at home and we went against doctors orders. If your baby is having enough wet diapers per day he is getting enough milk. If you're really worried you can also have a lactation consultant or nurse or friend who has a baby scale come out. Do a pre/post feed weigh. It gives you an idea of how much they took in.

Basically it came down to the diapers for us though. He had enough so we didn't listen to the doctor when they said to supplement.

It's all new and a bit scary. I'm sure you're doing your best and making the right choices for your baby.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MoCookies posted:

MMOs are a bad choice for parents, in my opinion. Arranging for long, uninterrupted chunks of time is tough, and it doesn't give you the same payoff as other forms of relaxation.

I think that whatever forms of relaxation a parent enjoys in the precious little downtime we get is fine, and as long as the needs of the family are being met it doesn't matter if your hobby is MMO's, reading, carving doll furniture or building toy aeroplanes.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Congrats alterian and papercut!
Been away for obvious reasons, visiting mum and Ben in hospital. Both doing better.

They were granted day release yesterday, I stayed up all night to look after ben, my partner stay up just because they couldn't sleep!?
If anything I was pissed off, at 9pm she said as a matter of fact "you feed him I've just taken something to knock me out for the night"
What the hell happened to working as a team, or talking to each other? I was angry.
And to top it off, I didn't sleep much obviously, feeding at 9, 12, and 3. But neither did she, complains she didn't sleep at all anyway. gently caress me with a bullet in the head. So both of us were tired today. I just wish she would get over the insomnia; otherwise, we're stuffed.
I'm so glad your partner's back home and you get to be with your baby again! :) How are they doing?

She may have thought that since he'd been with her in the hospital, you'd be ok with getting up with him on their first night home. Try to breathe and remember that you're both very tired and she's not trying to hurt you.

edit: Fo3, why don't you join us at the SA Parents group? It'd give you a chance to talk about things a little more openly and casually. I found it to be very good support and people reply much more quickly than here. http://www.facebook.com/groups/SAMoms/

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 3, 2012

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Alterian posted:

We're also having a sort of sleep issue. Every night between about 11 - 2 he wakes up for 3 -4 hours and fusses and cries the whole time. He'll be full, clean diaper, burped, swaddled, everything ok. He'll fall asleep if he's held and rocked, but 5 minutes after he's put in the co-sleeper he starts crying and screaming again. Then its another check of everything, another rocking back to sleep and awake 5 minutes after he's laid down. Last night all I could do is hold him and rock him while he cried his head off for a handful of minutes. He'd then stop and go back to sleep until I set him down. After 3 hours or so one of the laydowns eventually sticks and he stays asleep. He'll then wake up every 3 1/2 hours or so for a feeding and diaper change and go right back to sleep. He'll even let us sleep in till 10 - 10:30! The frustrating part is the whole fall asleep being rocked and wake back up crying. Its only during this part of the day. It would be different if he was just up and alert and wanting interaction, but he's either crying or sleeping while being rocked. I feel bad that he's crying and I don't know whats bothering him. I think we're just going to plan to be up during that part of the night tonight. I joked with my husband that he has the sleep schedule of a college kid.

We had that with our Ben for a while. Well, a little different. He'd decide not to sleep at all, but wasn't alert and would cry. After a couple weeks it passed. He did it while he was about 2-3 weeks I think?

Fo3, so sorry you're having a hard time. My husband and I went through a time when I, at least, felt really disconnected in the marriage and felt like I was doing it all alone. I wasn't- he was always right there with me and willing to help, I was just SO overwhelmed with everything that even with his help I felt like I couldn't make it. What made the difference was I finally talked to him about it. Obviously, your situation is quite different and going about talking to your partner about it might be a delicate situation, but I'd try to find a way.

Video game discussion- awesome. I don't play but my husband does and he is the full-time day-time caregiver. He just plays in the afternoon while Ben is sleeping and then often in the evening when I'm home and caring for Ben. He gets in a lot more time than I ever expected him to!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I'll be on the opposite side of the fence here - supplementing is not the worst thing. I had to supplement Chris the first couple weeks because I got really bad chapped nipples, and when I couldn't take the pain anymore I'd grab a bottle of the premixed stuff. Eventually my milk picked up, my nipples healed, and I never had to supplement again.

You do what you have to do, and as long as you're always trying nursing first things will work out. It's definitely hard in those first couple weeks when you're sure every wrong move will damage them for life.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think that whatever forms of relaxation a parent enjoys in the precious little downtime we get is fine, and as long as the needs of the family are being met it doesn't matter if your hobby is MMO's, reading, carving doll furniture or building toy aeroplanes.

I think she was trying to say that it's hard to do MMO things (scheduled raids etc) when you may be interrupted at any moment by the baby.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I think she was trying to say that it's hard to do MMO things (scheduled raids etc) when you may be interrupted at any moment by the baby.

I've found that most people on WoW are pretty understanding if you have to AFK because of a kid - maybe because I raid in a guild of mostly parents anyways.

And LFR - who gives a crap. My husband and I both had to AFK from one when Chris had a nightmare and was flipping his poo poo and no one cared.

So yeah, WoW is baby friendly.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
We'll see how doing it single parent style allows for video games, I'll keep you posted in a few months. :)

I go for my NT scan on Wednesday morning and this is definitely another time I dislike that the father isn't in the picture. My mom would go with me but she's got a meeting that day so I asked my best girlfriend. I just want some moral support, it's going to be pretty nervewracking! I'm 36 and don't have any family history of chromosonal problems so I'm hoping it's all fine.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Last night and this morning, my nipples were leaking a little bit of clear something. I'm only 25 weeks...isn't it too early for colostrum? :ohdear:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Last night and this morning, my nipples were leaking a little bit of clear something. I'm only 25 weeks...isn't it too early for colostrum? :ohdear:

My breasts started leaking at 25 weeks as well, it's completely normal. :)

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Adding in my 2 cents about the touching and video games. As for the touching, I am happy to say I don't have that problem but feel bad for those who do as I am very funny about my personal bubble and can see how that would make me annoyed. I do have 1 person who wants to touch and pat my bell and has been doing that since I found out I was pregnant when the baby was the size of a peanut and that is my mother-in-law. She'll pat my belly bye whenever we see her and I don't like that. It's my body she's touching not the baby. I've managed to curtail that most times by blocking it with my arms holding my purse or coat or by just sideways approaching her for a goodbye hug.

About the video games, that's one thing my husband and I have been worried about loosing our time with, especially Skyrim. Fortunately that's one of those you can pause and come back to whenever. It's very nice to hear there is still going to be time for gaming after the baby gets here. Probably more so for my husband than for me since I'll be the one with the food. We have a few friends of ours with kids and they still play games just don't have as much time, one of them waits until his kids are down for bed while the other will play but it's obviously distracting his enjoyment of the games until their kids go to bed.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sorry - this IS what I meant to say. Everybody couple negotiates baby-free time differently, and you absolutely should make time for what's really important to you.

When I think of playing WOW, I just automatically think of raiding several nights a week for 3+ hours at a time, since that's what we used to do pre-baby. For our current situation, that would be a lot of hours for one parent to be totally unavailable. It sucks being the parent covered in poop/puke/pee & hollering for help from your partner, and hearing something shouted back like, "I can't go AFK right now! It'll wipe the whole raid!" We actually checked my husband's /played time the other day - it was longer than my pregnancy.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Even though I'm staying at home, I don't really have time for games anymore. Half of the time, I can't find time to brush my teeth. :( Though on that front, I've had so many other mothers tell me that they couldn't find time to shower, and that they would go days without a shower, and I manage to ALWAYS get a shower in. It might only be a 3 minute shower, but gently caress going without a shower.

My husband gets in 1 to 1.5 hours of gaming each night, though, while I'm nursing the baby and putting him to bed. Sometimes I get irritated that he has that big chunk of free time, but his job is a game designer, so I tell myself that his game-time is technically "work related."

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You can't find time to brush your teeth, but you can find time to shower? Is teeth brushing a 30 minute ordeal?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Once the baby is a little older and you have a bedtime established, you should be able to do a lot more of the stuff you did pre-baby. Video games, taking turns going out with friends, etc. (And IMO, anyone who complains about having to wait until 8pm to play video games needs to seriously think about their priorities!) It was pretty magical when we got to the point when our little guy was sleeping through the night!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MoCookies posted:

Sorry - this IS what I meant to say. Everybody couple negotiates baby-free time differently, and you absolutely should make time for what's really important to you.

Sorry, I was overly defensive :)

My mmo experience has been pretty much wandering about with my husband killing wolves and picking flowers rather than hard core raiding and I can see how raiding would go out the window unless as Lyz said you are in a guild that is parent friendly.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

So, I had my NT scan today. It was fun to see baby in there. I have a random question though.. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 6 days were they determined that 5 weeks 6 days is indeed how far along I was. This matched up with what I expected based on charting and the fertility/ovulation strips I had been using when we conceived. So, since their information and my information matched up, I figured it was pretty close to correct.

Today (11 weeks 6 days) at the NT scan, I was told that the baby's CRL was measuring as if I was about 9 days further along-- about 13 weeks and 1 day. The CRL was 6.7 or 6.8 centimeters.

So, what gives? The doctor seemed to think this new ultrasound was more correct, but based on all my charting and fertility strip information I do not think there is any chance that we conceived over a week earlier than we did, especially based on what we saw at the first ultrasound. Is it just a law of averages thing? Why would I be measuring so much further along than I actually am.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Even though I'm staying at home, I don't really have time for games anymore. Half of the time, I can't find time to brush my teeth. :(

Brush your teeth in the shower. That's what I started doing :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

sheri posted:

So, I had my NT scan today. It was fun to see baby in there. I have a random question though.. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 6 days were they determined that 5 weeks 6 days is indeed how far along I was. This matched up with what I expected based on charting and the fertility/ovulation strips I had been using when we conceived. So, since their information and my information matched up, I figured it was pretty close to correct.

Today (11 weeks 6 days) at the NT scan, I was told that the baby's CRL was measuring as if I was about 9 days further along-- about 13 weeks and 1 day. The CRL was 6.7 or 6.8 centimeters.

So, what gives? The doctor seemed to think this new ultrasound was more correct, but based on all my charting and fertility strip information I do not think there is any chance that we conceived over a week earlier than we did, especially based on what we saw at the first ultrasound. Is it just a law of averages thing? Why would I be measuring so much further along than I actually am.
Ask your doctor, but mine always told us that fetuses can grow in spurts just like they will when they're out of the wombs. 9 days isn't so much, really.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Earlier scans are more accurate (once there is a fetal pole, estimates based on gestational sac size only aren't very good). The further along you get the more chance the baby has to be growing at its own pace rather than the average rate.

My 6w2d scan showed a fetal pole that measured 6w2d (as expected since I was charting, using OPKs, and ovulated right on schedule so we were very sure of my dates). By the 7 and 8 week scans the baby was measuring ~2 days ahead. By the NT scan ~3 days ahead. I'm fully expecting the baby to be a little more ahead by my anatomy scan next week. My doc has no intention of changing my due date based on later scans because I've got an early one that matched my LMP date.

I would push to stick the with original date personally.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
Well, I spent my evening in the ER this evening because I started bleeding and had some pain in my lower back and ovaries. Turns out my son is a prankster and enjoys giving Mommy nervous breakdowns where she falls into the fetal position on the bathroom floor asking God for mercy and protection. We're both fine, he had a great heart rate, nothing wrong with the placenta..I just have to get a full sonogram done tomorrow to make sure there isn't some kind of rupture to any other lady bits.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 21, 2017

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You should ask your doctor what is wrong with your liver, not google or goons. There are about a million things that could be wrong and no one here is going to be able to tell you what it is.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Hastings posted:

Well, I spent my evening in the ER this evening because I started bleeding and had some pain in my lower back and ovaries. Turns out my son is a prankster and enjoys giving Mommy nervous breakdowns where she falls into the fetal position on the bathroom floor asking God for mercy and protection. We're both fine, he had a great heart rate, nothing wrong with the placenta..I just have to get a full sonogram done tomorrow to make sure there isn't some kind of rupture to any other lady bits.

:( Bleeding during pregnancy just makes your heart try to leap out of your throat, doesn't it? Glad you don't have to wait long for your sonogram. I had intense bleeding for a while from a hematoma and had the same reaction. Nothing like going "Hahaha, I peed my pants! ...OH poo poo"

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I just got done with my 28 week appointment and had to do that wretched sugar test again which I of course failed with a big fat 182. :argh: My options were to do the annoying 3 hour test or go to class to learn how to manage diabetes. I chose the 3 hour test. I didn't eat anything for breakfast I ate dinner about 9:30 last night and didn't eat after. I drank water last night and this morning. My husband thinks maybe I failed because of what I ate for dinner, pud kee meow from a Thai restaurant. The last time I had to do the 3 hour test my first hour draw was high too (170 something, maybe 179 is what she said) so the lab tech was trying to be positive and tell me that "It probably just takes you a little longer to get it out of your system and you'll pass this next one." She said the 2nd and 3rd hour draws were normal with the 2nd hour being 120 something. This news just ruined my day, I burst out into tears while in the lab waiting for her to set up the 3 hour test. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Hastings I hope the sonogram goes well today. I had two causes of crazy bleeding with this pregnancy and a total of 9 weeks of bleeding by the time it stopped. Scared the crap out of me but everything has been fine with the baby. Hope it turns out to be no big deal.