Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

A game starring Sparda would be pretty cool- I just want an excuse to play as a character who wears a monocle.

Running around all dapper, juggling demons with a pair of infinite ammo flintlocks...

yes i know about luce and umbra my idea is still better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

A Sparda game where he's incredibly posh would be amazing, especially the insults.

Sparda: "You low horotious lump of fecal horror, you maniac bastardly turd, I would rather drink stale urine from Norman Fowler's arspit than remain one moment more in your defiling company. You're filth, you're cack, you're the ooze of burst boil. I abominate you, you cowering mound of corrupted slime. Your every utterant is like the slithering hiss of a fat maggot in the putrid guts of a decomposing rat. Your face is fouler than the unwiped inner ring of Satan's rectum!"

Poison: "FUCCCKKKKK YOOOOUUUUUU!" (Boss fight begins)

You know what? Ninja Theory should just dub all of Dante's lines and do this. :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
When you DT appropriate classical music plays for the duration and your already ornate-looking clothes and weapons take a step up the posh ladder. (And the monocle gets really demonic/organic-looking.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sparda doesn't need a DT, he's already 100% demon. Aw yeah.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Temascos posted:

A Sparda game where he's incredibly posh would be amazing, especially the insults.

Sparda: "You low horotious lump of fecal horror, you maniac bastardly turd, I would rather drink stale urine from Norman Fowler's arspit than remain one moment more in your defiling company. You're filth, you're cack, you're the ooze of burst boil. I abominate you, you cowering mound of corrupted slime. Your every utterant is like the slithering hiss of a fat maggot in the putrid guts of a decomposing rat. Your face is fouler than the unwiped inner ring of Satan's rectum!"

Poison: "FUCCCKKKKK YOOOOUUUUUU!" (Boss fight begins)

You know what? Ninja Theory should just dub all of Dante's lines and do this. :)

Sparda wouldn't need to speak. Just raise a single eyebrow. While this plays in the background.

gently caress yeah.

The dude is swank as gently caress:

Can't forget the monocle:

I hope they do something decent with Sparda in DmC, though I don't hold any high hopes.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 2, 2012

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Neurosis posted:

Dante from 12 years ago is cool in the way cheesy overblown action stars from the '80s were. 'It would look silly' in real life is a stupid argument given Dante IS an ultra manly superhero who fucks everything up without breaking a sweat.

It's funny that NT claims their Dante and their DmC is "punk," then follows the trends of generic mainstream character design/characterization and generic hack'n'slash gameplay when old Dante would continue to stand out in the market. Old Dante is more punk (I'm kind of stretching the term but go with me) without even trying.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
For being punk, they sure missed the mark on the music.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

User0015 posted:

For being punk, they sure missed the mark on the music.

They clearly need something like this during battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-kGiXTRM8

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I would love playing a game like this with old-school punk rock music.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The rumour mill is turning:

Ninja Theory Petitioning Capcom To Reboot Onimusha For Next Gen Consoles posted:

The source who shared all today’s massive rumors with Dual Pixels concerning next-gen hardware also had a plethora of rumor water on software, which we’ll report on incrementally. The first is the claim that Ninja Theory, the developer helming the reboot of Devil May Cry, is actually lobbying Capcom to give them permission to reboot Onimusha.

The anonymous source who’d rather remain that way because he/she was not authorized to share sensitive information, said this concerning Ninja Theory’s push to develop an Onimusha reboot:

"Ninja Theory is also pitching Capcom an Onimusha sequel for Wii U/Omni/XBoxNext as a “Ookami [sic] with guts”.

source:http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/11/30/ninja-theory-petitioning-capcom-to-reboot-onimusha-on-next-gen-consoles/

Hilarious if true.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 2, 2012

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I just picked up the DMC HD Collection, and man playing DMC1 now is just so weird after all these updates. I never remembered Dante moving so slow in the past.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would be pretty okay with that actually, since Onimusha is a dead franchise anyway.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

gently caress YOU, NOBUNAGA ODA!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And I thought Capcom was looking to "westernize" their franchises so they'll attract more customers. So instead of Oda and Mitsuhide, it's Brutus fighting demonic Caesar?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

No, no please. Leave Onimusha alone. I loved those games, and already watched them die an ignoble death with Dawn of Dreams. Either leave Onimusha dead or give it to Platinum Games.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

toasterwarrior posted:

And I thought Capcom was looking to "westernize" their franchises so they'll attract more customers. So instead of Oda and Mitsuhide, it's Brutus fighting demonic Caesar?

I would be OK with this happening in a good game. Platinum's vision of major historical events or something. Platinum Basara?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Crowetron posted:

No, no please. Leave Onimusha alone. I loved those games, and already watched them die an ignoble death with Dawn of Dreams. Either leave Onimusha dead or give it to Platinum Games.

I don't think Dawn of Dreams was that bad honestly. It had Punch Priest. That guy was cool. It's main problems were taking the skill out of Issen and some of the bosses being really terrible.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

Ninja Theory Presents: Brutus Legend:

Brutus: Mihi nomen est, Brutus, vocatis me Brutus - Rex interfector. Sonus suavis est, non creditis?
Caesar: Brutus? Marci filium ex! Et Serviliae? Lupaaaaaaaaaaaa!?
Brutus: Futue te ipsum! Gaius!
Caesar: Non, futue te ipsum!
Brutus: Futue te ipsum!
Ceasar: Fuuuuuuutue teeeeeeee ipsuuuuuuuuuuuum! [*vomētur*]

[e]: What about now: βrμtμς Ιεφεηδ - I'm respecting the series Greek language, honestly guys :qq:
In all seriousness though, why Greek? Was that the language of trade/ business at the time? If so that's pretty interesting. :)
[e2]: Oh hey, it was. I've learnt something new today, thanks!

VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 2, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ninja Theory Presents: Brutus Legend:

Almost perfect, but it would be in Greek, for that artistic-yet-"accurate" touch NT is known for.

It felt really :goonsay: typing that out.

^^^: :eng101:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 2, 2012

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The anonymous source who’d rather remain that way because he/she was not authorized to share sensitive information, said this concerning Ninja Theory’s push to develop an Onimusha reboot:

"Ninja Theory is also pitching Capcom an Onimusha sequel for Wii U/Omni/XBoxNext as a “Ookami [sic] with guts”.

quote:

“Ookami [sic] with guts”

I assume they mean either the original legend or Lone Wolf and Cub, and not the video game Okami.

They better not loving mean the video game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I assume they mean either the original legend or Lone Wolf and Cub, and not the video game Okami.

AMATERASU'S BACK, AND SHE'S A MEAN BITCH

(heh)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SSNeoman posted:

I'm cracking up either way, because I suspect Capcom "westernizing their franchises" just means instead of making Okami they want to make God of War with Japanese mythology. You know, because if there's one thing there isn't enough of it's ultraviolent empowerment fantasy action games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onimusha is honestly closer to NT's alley than DMC. The slower pace, the emphasis on cinematic-style, the "hey look at our photo-realistic actor replica" stuff... hell, it makes me wonder why they didn't do that in the first place.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ImpAtom posted:

Onimusha is honestly closer to NT's alley than DMC. The slower pace, the emphasis on cinematic-style, the "hey look at our photo-realistic actor replica" stuff... hell, it makes me wonder why they didn't do that in the first place.

Because Onimusha is Japanese as all get out.
Even the one half based in France. Also I like the Tank-y controls and I totally see NT taking offense to them.

If I were Capcom I would seriously reconsider handing older IP to NT. Informally hand them the IP as a guideline but not allow them to use any of the IP proper.

Now as it stands, NT really does have the visual prowess to deliver another Okami, but In story, character and gameplay they fall completely flat.
All of their titles had laughable story, unlikable characters and stiff uninspired gameplay.

Never mind that part of the draw of Okami that it deals with Japanese culture and myth.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 2, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because Onimusha is Japanese as all get out.
Even the one half based in France.

It ain't like Devil May Cry was sporting Union Jacks before NT got their hands on it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The more I hear about DMC the more convinced I am that Ninja Theory has no loving idea how to make a good character action game. They just keep doing Heavenly Sword over and over again because they are convinced it's an amazing game despite only selling well while it was an exclusive PS3 game during a time where there were hardly any games coming out. I have no doubt there are developers on the team who played DMC3 or 4 but seem to have no understanding of what made those games great. So they just go "Well we have juggles! And a devil trigger! That's it right?" I don't think they have any understanding why you want a manual lock on in these kinds of games and it seems like if something comes up in all these interviews they just point to Capcom and blame it on them.

Call me cynical but I loving hate the games that Ninja Theory makes and to me they are a rather terrible developer so I'd really rather not see Ninja Theory smear poo poo all over Onimusha too.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://www.gamesradar.com/dmc-devil-may-cry-hands-on-6-ways-it-improves-original-series/

gamesradar posted:

1. The combat is more accessible, but no less deep
2. Visually, it's off the chart
3. The gameplay mix is more creative and more coherent
4. The cast are real people, not cartoon stereotypes :shepface:
5. Every place and action has real purpose now
6. No more cheesy industrial metal on an infinite loop

:suicide:

Actual content:

Hardcore sucking off of Ninja Theory posted:

DmC, Ninja Theory's reboot of Devil May Cry, has been a controversial beast from the off. In fact it's fair to say that a very loud group of the series' fans have not been happy about it at all. Some have been doubtful of the British developer's ability to deliver the polish the series requires. Some have seemed unconvinced that any western developer could successfully pick up such a demanding and quintissentially Japanese action series. Many have just used the new Dante's hair colour as shorthand with which to vent every possibly fear and paranoia under the sun.

But paranoia and assumptions only hold sway for so long. What will ultimately decide DmC's quality is nothing more or less than hands-on time with the game itself. We've now had that. A lot of it. A whole day of it. And, like it or not, DmC so far looks very, very good indeed. In some ways it's actually way ahead of the original games. Allow us to explain.
1. The combat is more accessible, but no less deep

Right, the major point of contention. Combat has changed a bit. But before you start worrying that something has been lost in translation through the series’ move to the west, know one simple fact. It’s still brilliant. In fact all of the changes seem to have been made with the precise aim of allowing you far more access to Devil May Cry’s brilliant bits than ever before.

This is a more accessible game in the literal sense, not the dirty, casual-baiting Super Wii Party Family Sports Collection meaning of the word. Dante can still launch, juggle, evade, grapple and air-combo with just as much precision as before, and the ability to do so is still utterly demanded. It’s just that the ability to execute all of the above now feels far more immediately to hand.

Separate horizontal and vertical melee swipe inputs make launches, down-strikes, juggles and crowd control much more immediate and instinctive. The ability to equip two different melee weapons at a time, activating each for as long as the left or right trigger is held, makes tactical switch-ups and extravagantly varied combos second nature in no time. Ditto the use of trigger modifiers for Dante’s two complimentary long-range grabs, one of which pulls enemies towards him, the other of which zips him towards them. The system seriously empowers the air-game, giving it a freer, rangier sense of creative spatial control than before, creating a feeling of almost pulling apart and reconfiguring the battle from within.

DmC is about ease of use, but certainly not ease of challenge. It’s not long at all before the game starts demanding extremely creative use of its toolset, turning fights into high-speed puzzles of logic and dexterity. It does so with an immense sense of confidence, both in the robustness of its own bag of tricks to handle such challenges, and in the player’s ability to use those tools to their full potential. DmC is that ideal blend of accessibility and complexity. It wants to give you every facility to be cool and badass, but it also trusts you hold up your part of the bargain too, by putting in the creative effort.
2. Visually, it's off the chart

You simply have not played a AAA action game with looks and atmosphere like DmC. In terms of production design, this game has a personality all of its own. Gone is any sense of the old series’ clichéd gothic fantasy, the game’s every location and monster now instead infused with a fizzing urban decay and stark, lunatic brutality. It’s a modern world very much like our own, but pitched deliberately just off-centre when the demonic crap hits the fan, in order to be all the more jarring through its ever-so-slight sense of wrongness and alienation.

There’s a far more affecting horror vibe this time around too, with creature designs seeming to take visual cues from the full gamut of dark surrealist influences. DmC’s world is (literally) alive with an angry sense of malice, its sentient supernatural environments spewing swathes of hazards and enemies straight out of Bosch, Barker, Escher and Cunningham.

That’s a massive jump from the old games’ visual approach. A hulking great suit of armour might be intimidating when stomping around a gloomy castle, but through cliche it also feels right. Reassuring even. A stitched-together biomechanical demon skittering around a swirling LSD-infused funfair? Far less comfortable. And that’s before we even get onto the really weird stuff. Speaking of which…

3. The gameplay mix is more creative and more coherent

Devil May Cry could always be a bit jarring when it came to breaking up the combat. Platforming and puzzle diversions often felt like uneasy token gestures, stapled to the games as an afterthought and breaking their flow rather abruptly. In DmC though, everything feels absolutely right. Dante’s jumping controls are much smoother now and, coupled with his slick, tactile grapple abilities and smooth air-dash, they make exploration almost as appealing a prospect as the game’s core demon-battery.

So it’s good that Ninja Theory has been so creative with its game design. Using the sentient, angry world as its jumping-off point, DmC mixes combat with excellently paced, imaginatively executed set-pieces every step of the way. With no physical rules to the environments it presents, the game is free to throw anything at you, from architecture-warping, do-or-die platforms runs, to hallucinogenic Bionic Commando grapple action which forces you to rebuild and reshape the very environment around yourself on the fly. At times it almost feels like performing anti-gravity parkour through an architect’s cheese-dreams, yet it blends with the ‘main’ action so well that the overall gameplay mix feels more complete and satisfying than ever before.
4. The cast are real people, not cartoon stereotypes

It’s fair to say that Ninja Theory riled a few people up when it described the new Dante as being the version you’d get in a Hollywood movie adaptation. It’s understandable too. You think of movies of games, you think of the inane works of Paul Anderson. And the Resident Evil movies are no great yardstick of characterisation. But that’s not what Ninja Theory was getting at. Rather, the idea here is simply to create a version of Dante that would work in a pleasingly non-ludicrous way if a real man had to play him in a real-world setting. To take the core elements of his personality and the essence of his visual persona, and turn them into someone believable and relatable.

Our findings on their level of success? Nailed it.

Don’t think for a second that the new Dante isn’t every bit as cool and cocky and smart-mouthed as he ever was. He absolutely is, without even a hint of emo moping whatever the current internet perception of his character might be. What he is – along with the rest of the game’s cast in fact – is a character with real depth, believable human responses to events (despite not being human), and a layered, properly explored character arc.

He has reasons for being angry and disaffected, but he’s never self-pitying. He has a period of affecting self-discovery, but it’s empowering rather than self-indulgent. His past is properly fleshed out, as is his development into his future self, but this is executed with a pacey, upbeat, and dynamic treatment. Moreover, character development is emphasised and punctuated by in-game action, rather than halting it with lengthy naval-gazing cutscenes. The upshot is that you won’t just find Dante cool this time. You’ll genuinely find yourself caring about him. And on the subject of clever storytelling…

5. Every place and action has real purpose now

Devil May Crys past could feel a tad rambling, having a meandering pace punctuated by a stream of events and battles often slightly lacking in context or narrative weight. In DmC, that’s been fixed. With a location-hopping structure of self-contained levels now, setting, narrative and gameplay are bound with a far greater sense of combined purpose.

Take the early level set in Dante’s old family home, for instance. It’s (probably intentionally) the most similar to the DMC of old, being a winding gothic mansion made of ruined pathways and locked doors. But the slower pace and twisting, indirect layout make metaphorical sense within the context of Dante’s confused rediscovery of his half-remembered past. It’s also drat good, gameplay-driven storytelling that this is the section of the game in which Dante undergoes the most dramatic empowerment of his in-game abilities. Thematically everything ties together to powerful combined narrative and gameplay effect. And that’s a quality present throughout the game.

Hell, even the tutorial is damnably smart. Following straight on from a brilliant opening title sequence depicting Dante staggering home from a nightclub with two girls in tow, it takes the form of a series of ‘morning after’ fights against an onslaught of demons rude enough to bother him on a hangover. The tutorial introduces each combat element individually – sword first, then guns, then both – justifying the rationing of abilities by Dante having lost his gear while drunk the night before.

Ebony and Ivory are eventually found hanging from a bra hooked on a lamp-post. Later, Dante discovers his coat dangling off a ferris wheel. It’s clever stuff, building his personality along with his abilities, while tying the whole thing into the character foundation laid down in the opening credits. Coat finally on, his iconic aesthetic is complete, at exactly the same moment his personal identity and core in-game abilities are cemented in the player’s mind. And the whole thing is so smooth and narratively cohesive that you won’t even notice it’s a tutorial in the first place.

6. No more cheesy industrial metal on an infinite loop

What Devil May Cry 4’s combat soundtrack lacked in cutting edge quality, it more than made up for in repetition. Thankfully that horror is a thing of the past. DmC’s soundtrack – an original co-production between Noisia and Combichrist - is every bit as fresh, modern, exciting, eclectic, and pulse-poundingly affecting as DMC4’s wasn’t. And you won’t believe what a difference makes. So far this feels like a vital, immediate, and utterly relevant reimagining of everything that was good about Devil May Cry, and that quality is apparent in every one of its constituent elements.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Holy poo poo.

You've found it. You have found, literally the worst article about this game. It has everything: hair-chat, combat "depth", the "mature narrative". Everything. This is loving amazing.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 2, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hardcore sucking off of Ninja Theory posted:

freer, rangier sense

This is so goddamned stupid.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I now have a sudden urge to go to GamesRader's offices, and force them to play through Devil May Cry 1,3 and 4 on Dante Must Die difficulties until they get it into their head about what the series really is.

And some of those comments arguing for accessibility. Hell, that's fine by me, casualisation of a series that has core roots is dumb, this game...is dumb.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Even people who read gamesradar (who are these people?) aren't buying it.

Gamesradar comments posted:

This is like mitt romney, the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Every place and action has a real purpose now? And they didn't in previous DMCs?

No cheesy industrial metal on infinite loop? This is supposed to be a good thing? Cheesy-awesome music is part of DMC's appeal!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I thought that things couldn't get anymore accessible than that Auto mode they had in 4. Complex moves are simplified, as well as giving you the extras like EX'd attacks. Handholding, sure, but still letting you get a good deal at the game.

It sounds like they're confusing 'accessible' with 'less difficult'.

Is there any magazine publication that isn't stuck up Ninja Theories' arse?

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Straight up deepthroating Ninja Theory posted:

its sentient supernatural environments spewing swathes of hazards and enemies straight out of Bosch, Barker, Escher and Cunningham.

I get it, Ninja Theory can make a pretty game, but come the gently caress on.

NT and the games media have basically become analogous of DmC's villains. "You don't like our *art*? gently caress you, pleb, buy our poo poo."

wildzero fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 2, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So what does Famitsu think?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
My favourite parts of that horrible article:

quote:

Don’t think for a second that the new Dante isn’t every bit as cool and cocky and smart-mouthed as he ever was. He absolutely is, without even a hint of emo moping

So cool and cocky yet he didn't get a taunt button.

quote:

...Coat finally on, his iconic aesthetic is complete

What? :shepface:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Playing the first and third games again reminded me that it's possible for an environment to feel oppressive and unwelcoming without needing to write "gently caress YOU" on the walls.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Is there any magazine publication that isn't stuck up Ninja Theories' arse?

There's very, very few online ones that have actually listed the general mood that most people have towards it (i.e it's an average action game - but not up to DMC standards).

One of those was a five or ten hour preview, the other was a gaming podcast. Destructoid likes or dislikes it according to how controversial them liking or disliking it would be.

As for forums, I'm surprised at just how many are united in loving hatred for this game. Someone somewhere compared it to Other M, in just how negative the opinion of it is.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 2, 2012

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Nothing has driven home the poor state of modern gaming journalism quite so much as DmC coverage.

There are no words to describe the shame I feel on GamesRadar's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

That loving Sned posted:

Playing the first and third games again reminded me that it's possible for an environment to feel oppressive and unwelcoming without needing to write "gently caress YOU" on the walls.

Clearly you don't *get* Ninja Theory's artistic subtlety. :smugbert:

wildzero fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 2, 2012

• Locked thread