Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Campbell posted:

We just got Rex: The Final Days of the Empire as an early Christmas gift. Before I dive into the rules and errata I wanted to check in and see if any of you had any tips for learning the game or whatnot. I was kind of hoping to find a video walkthrough of the first turn or something, but haven't found one yet. Anyhow, anything that helped you conquer the 30-page rulebook would be great!
Does Rex have the turn sequence on the player screens like Dune had? If so, start with that. Learn the basic turn sequence from the rulebook, including the revivals, bidding, battles etc., then once you know the basics read the faction powers so you know exactly what's vanilla and what's broken by them instead of having 6 conflicting rulesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I've read nothing but good reviews about Dominion, the next game that I may introduce to my small group. But I'm wondering if anyone really hates it, and what makes you avoid it.

For the record, my group has liked:
Forbidden Island
Settlers of Catan (base game only)
Pandemic (plus expansion)
Magic the Gathering (in the past)
Carcassone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The biggest argument against Dominion you'll see is that (especially with only the base set) it's basically multiplayer Solitaire. And there's a lot of truth to that. You don't really attack your opponents very often, and when you do it's never a targeted attack - you hit every other player at once. Dominion is often more of a race than it is a fight. Since your group likes Catan and Carcassone I have to assume this won't really be an issue, but it's worth noting.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SERPUS posted:

I've read nothing but good reviews about Dominion, the next game that I may introduce to my small group. But I'm wondering if anyone really hates it, and what makes you avoid it.

Forbidden Island
Carcassone

It's a very good game, but as somebody who isn't a huge fan:

1- The game is not very interactive, even with later expansions. Direct conflict is largely absent (could be a plus to some)
2- The theme is bland and the artwork is quite bad on many cards.
3- Shuffling shuffling shuffling oh god make it stop.
4- Setup and breakdown run long between games.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Should I instabuy Galaxy Trucker on Amazon for $39 or should I wait for the anniversary edition instead which comes with both expansions?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

SERPUS posted:

I don't hate Dominion, but after playing Magic it's hard for me to get into other card games. The thing that irks me about Dominion is that you often don't get to use most of the cards. I haven't played as extensively as others, but I generally buy a lot of money and a few supporting cards, and seem to do alright.

Waynebo posted:

Should I instabuy Galaxy Trucker on Amazon for $39 or should I wait for the anniversary edition instead which comes with both expansions?

I struggled with the same thing and decided to hold off -- something about the expansion card backs not being the same unless you get the anniversary edition, and I really don't need to spend $39 on another board game right now...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Last night was a crazy game night, so I figured I'd come share my report. Most of the people are semi-gamers, so no crazy hardcore games.

Started with Power Grid. 6 player game, unfortunately someone decided to take himself out of the running fairly early by becoming a trash baron way before it became viable. I won essentially because no one encroached on my space until step 3, so I had room to expand safely.

We followed that with 3 games of The Resistance. The Resistance actually won our first game. The memorable part wasn't actually the games, though, it was what we role-played. Our first game was the Resistance vs. the Russian Mafia. The Resistance won, so we declared the next game to be the Resistance vs. the Resistance *wink*. Our final game we got crazy though: Pixar vs. Disney. Our first mission was to create the Incredibles 2, and it only got weirder from there. It was a grand old time.

We played some The Great Dalmuti. It's a trick-taking game where the winners tend to keep winning, but it works well as a party game.

Two games of Ingenious later, and I died laughing. The first game was nothing but big points, as there was barely any defensive play. The second game, one of the players managed to Ingenious 4 colors, and was pissed when I prevented the 5th. They got last, but only because they made 5 moves total that didn't score them any points (for artistic reasons, you see). While I'm not usually one to enjoy those sorts of shenanigans, it probably had something to do with it being 1 am at that point.

Finished off the night with Dominion. I recently acquired all the expansions, so I haven't played with half the cards. Had both Monument and Goons in the same game, so there were a lot of VP. I won by 11 due to early Goons and Contraband.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know this conversation has come up in the past, but what's the best/cheapest solution for sleeving Dominion cards? Normally, I wouldn't care one way or the other but i played with a group last night that had theirs sleeved and now I feel like I'm a bad board game owner for not sleeving stuff.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I know this conversation has come up in the past, but what's the best/cheapest solution for sleeving Dominion cards? Normally, I wouldn't care one way or the other but i played with a group last night that had theirs sleeved and now I feel like I'm a bad board game owner for not sleeving stuff.

On top of this, I kind of need a better transportation solution. I only have 4 of the sets right now, but it's kind of unwieldy to lug 4 boxes around, in addition to any other games I feel like bringing. Should I just make a lot of tabs and throw all the cards in the same box?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SERPUS posted:

Forbidden Island
Carcassone

I consider Dominion to be a wonderful tech demo for the concept of deckbuilding games. It's got bad art and practically no theme, and I'm not fond of the dead VP cards aspect and how that means you have to build a great engine and then basically throw it in reverse and drop your transmission on the highway to green out. :iiaca:

I am one of those heathens who prefers Ascension.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

OmegaGoo posted:

We played some The Great Dalmuti. It's a trick-taking game where the winners tend to keep winning, but it works well as a party game.

But times when the last place person becomes the Great Dalmutti are memorable, though.

One time I got to take the first trick with a 3, then immediately finished by dropping all my other cards in a gigantic pile of 12s.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Has anyone played Last Will as a two player game?

I keep coming up against the obstacle that whilst my mates are keen to play games, we can't get our schedules together, so more often than not we end up meeting up in twos rather than as a big group.

The two player issue has already meant that we've ruled out Mystery of the Abbey, which I've been coveting for months (someone please put me out of my misery and tell me that it's awful!), and we can't decide whether to plump for Ticket to Ride or Last Will. Last Will piqued my interest, but I'm sure I read somewhere (here?) that it doesn't play well as a two player.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I thought it worked fine as a 2 player. Not as good as 3+ but less chaotic than the higher end it plays.

Ticket is very cutthroat 2 player but not a bad game at that.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

We're able to fit all our expansions minus the tokens and base cards in one of those four row card boxes. It's all sleeved and alphabetically sorted with index card labels. We save space by removing the blue backed selector cards. Instead, we took one of each kingdom card, marked its face (on the sleeve), and use that as the selector card. When we set up the game, we select our cards, and that marked card is joined the rest of its kingdom cards for the game. When we're done, we just take the marked cards out and return the rest to their appropriate slot in the box.

While this works great and should fit up to the next expansion, the entire box is way too heavy to lug around. It also takes up a ton of space at the table. Luckily, we usually host since we own a lot of games.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Why would you need to mark the selector cards? If you're going to add it to the other kingdom cards anyway, can't you take any of the 10?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

nimby posted:

Why would you need to mark the selector cards? If you're going to add it to the other kingdom cards anyway, can't you take any of the 10?

The main reason is Black Market. We use the entire pile of selector cards for our Black Market deck. That way, when we're done with a Black Market game, we can quickly pick out the marked ones that were taken from the Black Market deck.

The secondary reason is that the marked card is the bottom card, so it's just a visual cue during the game that the pile is almost empty.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

If I still played Dominion, I would be all over this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RGG-471/dp/B007MKLX84/

Base Cards for $10. Looks like Amazon is definitely bringing the sales like they did last year, I'm almost afraid (for my wallet) to start poking around to see what I can find.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Base Cards for $10.

Never thought I'd buy these, but at 10 bucks with prime, why not?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
"Why not" is how my collection grows such that I needed a new piece of furniture to store all of my games.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Just ordered Descent 2nd edition to give it a go this weekend with my group. Can someone who already played it comment on which houserules should be declared before starting out to fix some of the quirks?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Initio posted:

"Why not" is how my collection grows such that I needed a new piece of furniture to store all of my games.

Make the new piece of furniture a throne resting atop game shelving.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

When you sit upon the Throne of Games, you play or you die.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vax posted:

Just ordered Descent 2nd edition to give it a go this weekend with my group. Can someone who already played it comment on which houserules should be declared before starting out to fix some of the quirks?

There don't need to be any, IMO. What I would recommend is make sure everybody knows 2e is about speed. Most of the scenarios have both sides racing to complete objectives, and that needs to be their primary goal, not just beating on each other.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nimby posted:

When you sit upon the Throne of Games, you play or you die.

Update thread title?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Update thread title?

Incredible post. I agree with this sentiment.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Alright, I'm going to win a legit Chaos in the Old World victory someday. Last time I won (also, played), I accidentally cheated toward the beginning and we decided it was too late to undo it. This time we were introducing the game to a new player who really wanted to play as Khorne. Unfortunately, he really did not get the game or Khorne's strategy, despite the rest of us several times saying he really needs to be as expansive as possible. Since he never really left a couple of regions, and Tzeetch and Slaanesh were engaged in their own squabbling, I got left pretty much the entire populous regions to my own Nurgly self. And it didn't hurt that they were rife with nobles. If Khorne doesn't do his job, it's really easy for Nurgle to entrench himself and become very tricky to remove, especially once he gets a few tokens laid down. But since Khorne wasn't doing his job, I can't say I really earned that one.

Also, nthing that thread title change.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 19, 2013

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any suggestions for a Christmas gift for someone who plays Cards Against Humanity and Last Night on Earth? He's a guys guy who loves sports, bacon, and beers (if that matters).

Talisman

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any suggestions for a Christmas gift for someone who plays Cards Against Humanity and Last Night on Earth? He's a guys guy who loves sports, bacon, and beers (if that matters).

More Cards Against Humanity :v: https://cahxmas.herokuapp.com/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You are a cruel, cruel person.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Tekopo posted:

I actually like it :D (And yes I am aware of its total lack of mechanics and all its other problems).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

Oh shush. Talisman works great with bacon, bear and sports. It's the same kind of spectacle. :D

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tippis posted:

Oh shush. Talisman works great with bacon, bear and sports. It's the same kind of spectacle. :D

I know that every time I play Talisman, I wish I could get mauled by a bear instead.

So, what's there to look forward to in 2013? I ask this having not even played some of my 2012 purchases because I am apparently a junkie now.

I can't actually think of anything I'm super looking forward to, aside from the impending Kickstarter for BattleCon: Devastation of Indines, but I seem to be the only one in the thread to like Battlecon, despite having stupid names and a terrible (but not memorably exploitative?) anime aesthetic. I'm also hoping for Duel of Ages 2 at some point, but those guys are terrible at marketing and hype training.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's wrong with playing CITOW with 5 players?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nothing, as long as you have the expansion.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Nothing, as long as you have the expansion.

The OP made it seem like a bad idea.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Baron Porkface posted:

Ah. To be specific, you must have at least 4 players for CitOW to play well. The expansion lets you do 5 and while people have argued about the 5 player balance, it's definitely better than the 3 player balance.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

The OP is only talking about the base game.

(edit: beaten, just listen to Crackbone)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For 2013 I'm looking forward to:

- Cuba Libre
- No Retreat 2: GMT Edition
- Getting my loving deepthoughtgames.com order through
- Guns of Gettysburg: there's still hope, right?

What, don't look at me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

For 2013 I'm looking forward to:

- Cuba Libre
- No Retreat 2: GMT Edition
- Getting my loving deepthoughtgames.com order through
- Guns of Gettysburg: there's still hope, right?

What, don't look at me like that.

Ahahahaha GoG like that'll happen.

:smith:

• Locked thread