Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

fuckpot posted:

So I've been reading this thread and wondering what the general hate levels were for that mission where you went inside the geth or something and had to shoot heaps of stupid blocks with some crappy gun for ages. The game to me overall was good and I didn't even hate the ending that much but drat did that bit piss me right the gently caress off.

I didn't hate it, really, but it was way longer than it should have been. Felt pretty out of place with the rest of the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
There were going for something more than just "legion reads the story of the geth to you" but it's really loving boring and tedious the second time through.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Shame I can't use that gun outside of that mission, the stats according to ME's wiki show that thing as super-broken :allears:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

precision posted:

You mean with a non-imported Shepard? But I totally imported my Shepard. :raise:

edit: And on a non-import game, don't male Shepards always get Ashley as the Virmire Survivor anyway?

e2: I might have not gotten the "mission always came first" dialogue because this Shep romanced Jack in ME2, I guess. I can't remember but he may have romanced Ashley and then sent her to her death, too. :tali:

I remembered wrong. The line I mentioned comes up in the pre-Cerberus HQ mission conversation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fuckpot posted:

So I've been reading this thread and wondering what the general hate levels were for that mission where you went inside the geth or something and had to shoot heaps of stupid blocks with some crappy gun for ages. The game to me overall was good and I didn't even hate the ending that much but drat did that bit piss me right the gently caress off.

So bad I turned the game off and didn't play it again that day.

First of 3 parts (not including ending).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

fuckpot posted:

I am amused by the DOOT-doot-doot-doot DOOT-doot-doot-doot sound it makes when Shep runs in Tronworld because I am literally a giant child.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I just couldn't believe how long it dragged on. I thought there would only be three data clusters to destroy but then there was another one, and another one.

Plus I was expecting something really cool from the mission as well. Like, actually becoming a geth or something.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

fuckpot posted:

Plus I was expecting something really cool from the mission as well. Like, actually becoming a geth or something.

Nothing will ever top "A: Assume Direct Control" from Arrival.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked the lore-dump, but the gameplay wasn't anything to write home about, though I did appreciate a break from the constant shooting. I also liked the end of the mission, where Legion got a bunch of geth off the server without telling Shepard. I liked the game letting you get pissed at him for lying to you and taking advantage of the Reaper invasion to further his agenda. I don't really remember being able to chew out Wrex for the same thing.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

2house2fly posted:

I liked the lore-dump, but the gameplay wasn't anything to write home about, though I did appreciate a break from the constant shooting. I also liked the end of the mission, where Legion got a bunch of geth off the server without telling Shepard. I liked the game letting you get pissed at him for lying to you and taking advantage of the Reaper invasion to further his agenda. I don't really remember being able to chew out Wrex for the same thing.

Even then, you still get to to entirely gently caress over Wrex's race and kill him personally, not that you would want to do that, but still.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
There was a dev comment on BSN concerning the consensus mission that said that playtesting raised some concerns over how it played and they were considering adding some light combat in the form of "reaper hunter-killer programs" that would come after you. Then they ran out of time or something so it went as it was.

I remember my impression after playing it was that it was interesting enough for a first time play but it would be a slog on any subsequent plays because you know what it's going to tell you and nothing interesting happens otherwise. It is an optional mission so you can skip it but you won't be able to get the best outcome later if you do.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's pretty much the Fade portion from DA:O again. Great to play through once, but then it is a bit of a slog.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There was a dev comment on BSN concerning the consensus mission that said that playtesting raised some concerns over how it played and they were considering adding some light combat in the form of "reaper hunter-killer programs" that would come after you. Then they ran out of time or something so it went as it was.

I remember my impression after playing it was that it was interesting enough for a first time play but it would be a slog on any subsequent plays because you know what it's going to tell you and nothing interesting happens otherwise. It is an optional mission so you can skip it but you won't be able to get the best outcome later if you do.

The less time consuming way to make the thing less tedious would have been to halve the length.

Or cut it entirely.

Not sure how anyone enjoyed could have it, even the first time around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Milky Moor posted:

It's pretty much the Fade portion from DA:O again. Great to play through once, but then it is a bit of a slog.

At least it's nowhere near as abysmal or long as the Fade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. And didn't mind it at all the second time through.

I found the Rachni mission far more tedious.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

It's almost as if, I dunno, people have different tastes and opinions or something. Just a theory I had.

Anyway, you can count me in the camp that it was neat/novel and had interesting lore/story the first time, but every time since has been a slog.

The Rachni mission was almost ruined by those drat eggs everywhere, but I still liked it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I enjoyed the Rachni mission gameplay-wise (although the flamethrower felt powered down from ME2), but my choice to save the Rachni in ME1 meaning basically nothing--they become tools of the Reapers no matter what you do--left a bad taste over the whole thing.

Edit: But obviously everything to do with Urdnot Grunt ruled.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 3, 2012

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Piedmon Sama posted:

I enjoyed the Rachni mission gameplay-wise (although the flamethrower felt powered down from ME2), but my choice to save the Rachni in ME1 meaning basically nothing--they become tools of the Reapers no matter what you do--left a bad taste over the whole thing.

Edit: But obviously everything to do with Urdnot Grunt ruled.

Well I mean not absolutely nothing as if you free the queen again she helps build the crucible.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Blindeye posted:

Well I mean not absolutely nothing as if you free the queen again she helps build the crucible.

But only if you spared her in ME1. If you killed her in ME1 and then free the replacement that the Reapers stitch together, the replacement ends up going apeshit and rampaging through the Crucible engineers.

It wasn't until my third playthrough of ME3 that I really started to pay attention to the War Asset part of the game, and realized that some of the little decisions I'd made along the way - mostly the "side with this guy or that guy" sequences - actually raise or lower the value of some of the assets. Say what else you will, I thought that was a nice touch.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Craig Spradlin posted:

But only if you spared her in ME1. If you killed her in ME1 and then free the replacement that the Reapers stitch together, the replacement ends up going apeshit and rampaging through the Crucible engineers.

It wasn't until my third playthrough of ME3 that I really started to pay attention to the War Asset part of the game, and realized that some of the little decisions I'd made along the way - mostly the "side with this guy or that guy" sequences - actually raise or lower the value of some of the assets. Say what else you will, I thought that was a nice touch.

It is sorta nice, but then you remember that any War Assets beyond 3100 mean nothing at all besides maybe a slight change in EC slides.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

fuckpot posted:

I really disliked it. First because a good potential idea was lost in some very cliche imagery and really tedious gameplay. Second because it didn't tell us much that we didn't already know. Third, it kinda glossed over the geth going all Skynet to build up sympathy hamhandedly. It could have just been a cutscene and accomplished the same thing more effectively.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Viperix posted:

It's almost as if, I dunno, people have different tastes and opinions or something. Just a theory I had.

Yeah, no poo poo. But please explain to me what you found enjoyable because I honestly have no idea.

While some of the exposition was kinda interesting, that didn't make the gameplay any less tedious.

At least the Rachni mission had some tension in that it was possible (though not likely, even on insanity) to die. And Urdnot Dag.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geostomp posted:

Third, it kinda glossed over the geth going all Skynet to build up sympathy hamhandedly.

This, at least, is deliberate. What you're seeing is the Geth's attempt to manipulate you into sympathizing with them and their Quarian supporters, who are implied to have been entirely killed off by an intolerant militant branch.

Making it okay to kill millions of innocent children and civilians at the end of the arc.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 3, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm certainly not surprised that fixing that geth mission was another thing on the "ran out of time" list.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

sassassin posted:

This, at least, is deliberate. What you're seeing is the Geth's attempt to manipulate you into sympathizing with them and their Quarian supporters, who are implied to have been entirely killed off by an intolerant militant branch.

Making it okay to kill millions of innocent children and civilians at the end of the arc.

I thought Admiral Garrel's "drat the mission, shoot the gently caress out of some Geth" approach lent a decent amount of support to the whole "intolerant military branch" narrative.

I mean, I've just nearly gotten killed again along with my squad because this one Quarian Admiral can't keep his war-boner in his suit, and I come along and see the little Geth PowerPoint presentation while I'm inside the consensus, chances are I'm gonna look at that and say "yeah, I could totally see that happening exactly the way you're showing it to me."

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
The Quarians straight up admit to starting both wars. Nothing we see presented by the Geth ever contradicts what we knew about the Quarians. While I have no doubt they only showed you the times the Quarians were at fault, and Legion is perfectly capable of lying, I see nothing to indicate the Quarians are the "good guys" or innocent in this war.

I'm sure Garrel is an exception, but given how easily everyone seems to go long with him, he can't be that exceptional. I mean think about the implications of Garrels actions there. He fired on a disabled vessel, essentially captured by his side, with a human Spectre(potentially two), at least one member of another race, and one of your own loving admirals on board. All during a war the Council specifically forbade to begin with. That's not even a diplomatic incident that's a political loving shitstorm, and the Quarians aren't exactly popular to begin with. And you can't argue that "oh, it's just the actions of one Admiral". He got yelled at sure, but the response ultimately was just "shame on you, but we need to kill Geth, so it's all good."

So you know what, I'm sorry Tali, but if I have to pick, I'm siding with the Geth everytime. The Quarians are dicks.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I didn't need the information in the Consensus to be 100% against the Quarians, their unprovoked destruction of the Geth Megastructure ensured that all by itself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 looks really good and runs exceptionally smoothly. I'm a bit shocked as to how good the port is. I'm sure the BSN forums are a sea of console warrior tears right now...

And man, I really forgot that there are a lot of reasons to love it. I've always said I prefer ME1 to ME2 in general, and that's more true now than ever. There's a good case to be made that it's the best of the trilogy, in fact.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Craig Spradlin posted:

I thought Admiral Garrel's "drat the mission, shoot the gently caress out of some Geth" approach lent a decent amount of support to the whole "intolerant military branch" narrative.

I mean, I've just nearly gotten killed again along with my squad because this one Quarian Admiral can't keep his war-boner in his suit, and I come along and see the little Geth PowerPoint presentation while I'm inside the consensus, chances are I'm gonna look at that and say "yeah, I could totally see that happening exactly the way you're showing it to me."

The Geth aren't lying, really. But in order to make us sympathise only with them there are some pretty major lies of omission during that sequence that are typical or our interactions with Legion throughout the game.

I don't think there's a less honest character in all of ME3 to be honest. The geth consistently have their own agenda served by your missions without your knowledge (release of big geth bots, reaper data transmission etc.).

Even the villains are more upfront with their schemes.

This is of course in stark contrast to Legion/the geth in ME2.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

precision posted:

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 1 looks really good and runs exceptionally smoothly. I'm a bit shocked as to how good the port is. I'm sure the BSN forums are a sea of console warrior tears right now...

And man, I really forgot that there are a lot of reasons to love it. I've always said I prefer ME1 to ME2 in general, and that's more true now than ever. There's a good case to be made that it's the best of the trilogy, in fact.

Imagine ME1 remade with ME3 visuals and gameplay (and maybe some extra side content), keeping the rest of it the same.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No thanks, I prefer non-hideous Joker.

(that's a lie I hate all of them)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I think the level design in ME2 is probably the worst in the series (I use that term lightly though since it's not bad, just not as good as ME1 or ME3) ME1's levels were built to be places, but weren't really that ideal for gameplay. ME2's levels were the other way around, they had really great visuals at points but alot were far too video-gamey and didn't really bother hiding the chest-high walls. ME3 got the balance just about right and had great gameplay arenas but still felt like actual locations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jblade posted:

I think the level design in ME2 is probably the worst in the series (I use that term lightly though since it's not bad, just not as good as ME1 or ME3) ME1's levels were built to be places, but weren't really that ideal for gameplay. ME2's levels were the other way around, they had really great visuals at points but alot were far too video-gamey and didn't really bother hiding the chest-high walls. ME3 got the balance just about right and had great gameplay arenas but still felt like actual locations.

I don't agree with this at all.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I will always have a soft spot for ME1. The only trouble I ever had with it on launch with my 360 was the texture pop-in, so I played it to completion many times. Just did it again last year since I thought ME3 was going to rock and boy did I need those save imports!

I think in the future I might just play through ME1 and ME2 if I get nostalgic and then call it a day. What a coincidence that I have those on Steam as well for when my 360 is obsolete. (gently caress EA and Origin.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played through ME1 on Xbox 360 twice, (second run killed my first Xbox on Ilos :( ), but since I got the PC version I haven't bothered with the Xbox version anymore. Even if the PS3 version is an improvement, it won't let me upgrade Mako boosters or avoid the inventory minigame by just summoning my pink and neon yellow armors out of thin air.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 5, 2012

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I played ME1 so much on Xbox I find it impossible to play on PC.

The controls just aren't mass effect. I've never made it past Eden Prime.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I find it impossible to play on 360 just because of how bad the framerate gets. Also, the lack of a hotbar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing I forgot is how much I like Jennifer Hale's voice acting in 1. Meer's performance was at its worst in 1, but I think Hale was at her best. In 2 and 3, it seems like they directed her to be more "husky/weary/pissed off/badass" whereas in 1 those elements were there but not pushed quite as hard, and it comes off as just slightly better to me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
ME1 is probably my favorite out of the trilogy for capturing the feeling of its genre the most. The fact that you can land on and spend hours exploring just one planet (even if you wouldn't really because that's insane) makes its universe feel big in a way the more focused sequels just don't. Also a lot of those planets straight up have environments that will kill you, making space exploration actually feel dangerous and an earthlike world truly valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mass Effect 1 will always be special because it has shotguns that actually do damage past "directly in front of you".

• Locked thread