Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's just a picture you took at the store, isn't it

edit: VVVV I was joking

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 29, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

That's just a picture you took at the store, isn't it

No, it's actually my collection from about 2 years ago. I have more now.

E: The Springbank 15 that I'm tucking into tonight is lovely.

biglads fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Chivas Regal has to sit all alone in the corner.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Jo3sh posted:

Chivas Regal has to sit all alone in the corner.

You forgot the part where it sits in its own loving chair. That is a massive bottle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What the gently caress dude.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

rufius posted:

You forgot the part where it sits in its own loving chair. That is a massive bottle.

But the Ardbeg over on the other side has friends.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I think you have a problem. A beautiful, horrible problem. Also if I were to ever rob a house, it would be yours :allears:

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
loving hell, the store down the street from me doesn't have a selection that nice. What the poo poo.

*edit* Sweet jesus a bottle with its own chair.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
No Blue Label? Some collection!

Is that a bottle of Octomore on the far left, second from the bottom?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

No Blue Label? Some collection!

Is that a bottle of Octomore on the far left, second from the bottom?
It's Bruichladdich X4. Octomore 4.2 Comus comes in a frosted bottle and it also wasn't around 2 years ago.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 30, 2012

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 today. That smokey flavor knocked me on my rear end. My only other scotch ever was a Glenlivet 12 that I bought like a month ago. How should I ease into this?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 today. That smokey flavor knocked me on my rear end. My only other scotch ever was a Glenlivet 12 that I bought like a month ago. How should I ease into this?

From what I've heard about Ardbeg you picked two things that are about as far apart as possible. You can try something in between like Highland Park 12 or you can try watering down the Ardbeg.

I saw some new bottles at the store today from Wemyss (weems) called Peat Chimney and Smooth Gentleman, both blends but with an 8 year age statement. They looked interesting but I wasn't ready to pay $62.95 for one.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Lolcano Eruption posted:

This is kind of a goofy visual, but yeah, you really did make a pretty big jump in flavor from Glenlivet to Ardbeg. Islay whiskies are often very powerful, smoky and salty (with Ardbeg and Laphroaig in particular) - as opposed to Glenliviet, which is one of the most gentle out there.

With the Ardbeg, I'd suggest you drink it neat and add about .5 to 1 teaspoon of water, swirl it in the glass, and let it sit for about ten minutes. This helps the whisky to mellow out a bit and vent a little bit of the alcohol vapors. Drink it slowly and take sips of water in between tastings to clear your palate. It's powerful stuff, but it's also pretty elegant. Stick with it!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I saw some new bottles at the store today from Wemyss (weems) called Peat Chimney and Smooth Gentleman, both blends but with an 8 year age statement. They looked interesting but I wasn't ready to pay $62.95 for one.

Try Black Bottle. It's a sub $20 all-Islay blend that is very nice. It was my first introduction to smoky whisky.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
My current set. biglads already took the fun out of this though.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Same exact thing happened to me. I've been enjoying Macallen 12 and Highland Park 12, with some Johnny Walker Black mixed in. When I tried the Ardbeg 10, it was like a slap in the taste buds. I just figured it would go back into the cabinet and come out when a hard core Islay lover visits.

NightConqueror posted:

With the Ardbeg, I'd suggest you drink it neat and add about .5 to 1 teaspoon of water, swirl it in the glass, and let it sit for about ten minutes. This helps the whisky to mellow out a bit and vent a little bit of the alcohol vapors. Drink it slowly and take sips of water in between tastings to clear your palate. It's powerful stuff, but it's also pretty elegant. Stick with it!

I will try this, thanks.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kenning posted:

If you can't find Rittenhouse stateside I seriously doubt you'll find it in the UK, seeing as it's made in Kentucky and I don't know how much the British are into rye. Just have to wait until next year's release.

I picked up a bottle from Whiskey Exchange in the UK last week, they have a few Rittenhouse varieties.

:britain:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

That... is a beautiful sight.

And to think I felt proud of my collection that consists of an almost empty bottle of Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, Glenlivet 15 French Oak, and Buffalo Trace. :cool:

Does anybody know where to find reasonably priced "sample" bottles of Islay scotches? Maybe Laphroaig, or any other similar alternative. I've been wanting to try a peat monster, but none of my local bars carry anything but Glenlivet 12 and JWB.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 30, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welp pack it in lads, we've reached peak liquor.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Troll Bridgington posted:

That... is a beautiful sight.

And to think I felt proud of my collection that consists of an almost empty bottle of Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, Glenlivet 15 French Oak, and Buffalo Trace. :cool:
Out of curiosity, you're in the U.S? Because I know the Balvenie Cuban cask, but not Carribean. One reason I can think of is a special US version because of the Cuban embargo thing.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Out of curiosity, you're in the U.S? Because I know the Balvenie Cuban cask, but not Carribean. One reason I can think of is a special US version because of the Cuban embargo thing.

Yes indeed. I wasn't aware of it being a special release, though. Looks like it's a fairly new offering:
http://scotchnoob.com/2011/09/06/the-balvenie-14-year-caribbean-cask/

quote:

The Balvenie, producers of one of my favorite whiskies (the Single Barrel 15 year), has added this rum cask-finished expression to their permanent line. As always, it’s nice to see a distillery that is willing to expand its ‘standard’ line, rather than rest on its laurels. This expression comes after a limited-run bottling of a 17 year rum cask which had been matured in the cask, not just finished.

I'm still new to scotch, and picked it up on a hunch at my local booze shop. I enjoy it quite a bit, and it may be my favorite out of the few scotches I've tried.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Troll Bridgington posted:

Yes indeed. I wasn't aware of it being a special release, though. Looks like it's a fairly new offering:
http://scotchnoob.com/2011/09/06/the-balvenie-14-year-caribbean-cask/

I'm still new to scotch, and picked it up on a hunch at my local booze shop. I enjoy it quite a bit, and it may be my favorite out of the few scotches I've tried.

All of the Balvenies are too drat easy to glug down. An extra touch of demarera in the taste just makes it ever more gluggable.

Balvenie is one of those drinks that is usually gone pretty quickly after you crack it open. At least in my house :)

I'm finishing off a bottle of Balvenie Golden Cask right now.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

biglads posted:

All of the Balvenies are too drat easy to glug down. An extra touch of demarera in the taste just makes it ever more gluggable.

Balvenie is one of those drinks that is usually gone pretty quickly after you crack it open. At least in my house :)

I'm finishing off a bottle of Balvenie Golden Cask right now.

I definitely agree, I'll be sad when I finish this bottle.

How is the Golden Cask?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

It was very nice. Not sure where else it's available, I think mine was a duty-free. That version was a 14 y/o finished in Rum Casks at 47.5%.

I've yet to meet a Balvenie that I didn't like. They're all just so incredibly nice.

I got a bottle of Clynelish at the supermarket yesterday. It's been a while since I had any of that so I'm looking forward to cracking it open.

biglads fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 1, 2012

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness
Don't have a picture of my Scotch cabinet. Biglads definitely has me beat, but not for lack of trying. Here's my haul from my last trip to Scotland, however.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dug fin posted:

Don't have a picture of my Scotch cabinet. Biglads definitely has me beat, but not for lack of trying. Here's my haul from my last trip to Scotland, however.

Did you get to carry that home in your luggage?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

prefect posted:

I'm assuming he lives elsewhere in the UK (and probably drove too) because, for example, the customs authority here in the US only permits 1L of alcohol to be imported by returning travelers.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 3, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

dug fin posted:

Jesus, that's a hell of a haul. Is that all from bottle shops or distilleries?

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Did anyone else get the Master of Malt Whisky Advent Calendar? I've heard there are different versions out there.

Mine has so far yielded:

1. Oban 14yo
2. Auchentoshan Classic
3. Four Roses Single Barrel

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

So I'm thinking about picking up a new Islay as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine and I'm looking for something similar to Ardbeg Uigeadail. Dude loves his peat and isn't into overly sweet whiskys (but appreciate some), so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to be a little more original than Ardbeg 10, though I may just grab a bottle of that and call it a day.

Also I'm so jealous that you grabbed that Whisky Advent Calendar :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dug fin posted:

How's the Bowmore?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

smn posted:

Did anyone else get the Master of Malt Whisky Advent Calendar? I've heard there are different versions out there.

Mine has so far yielded:

1. Oban 14yo
2. Auchentoshan Classic
3. Four Roses Single Barrel

I wanted to but found the price point a bit steep. Knowing those guys it's probably worth it but still. A bit more than gimmick money for me.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Senf posted:

So I'm thinking about picking up a new Islay as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine and I'm looking for something similar to Ardbeg Uigeadail. Dude loves his peat and isn't into overly sweet whiskys (but appreciate some), so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to be a little more original than Ardbeg 10, though I may just grab a bottle of that and call it a day.

Also I'm so jealous that you grabbed that Whisky Advent Calendar :(

If he likes Uigeadail, he'd probably also like the other notable and readily available sherried peat bomb: Lagavulin 16.

Assuming he hasn't had it yet, of course.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Schpyder posted:

If he likes Uigeadail, he'd probably also like the other notable and readily available sherried peat bomb: Lagavulin 16.

I'll bring it up somehow tlater today and if he hasn't, I think that might be a pretty good bet. Thanks!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Schpyder posted:

I hesitate to call either of them sherried since the majority of whisky in both still comes from bourbon barrels. In order to get a proper sherry only Islay, you sort of have to look at independently bottled Bowmores for the best examples. Kilchoman's sherry releases are a little off since young whisky in a large sherry butt make for a sub-optimal combo.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 4, 2012

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

prefect posted:

I moved to Ireland in May, so I drove home with it in the trunk. :) The customs guy stopped me as I was getting on the car ferry and asked me to open the trunk, I thought I was in trouble. He saw the trunk full to the brim with Scotch and all he said was "Can I get your address? I'd like to stop by for a wee drink when I'm in Ireland."

I love the Scottish.

NightConqueror posted:

Jesus, that's a hell of a haul. Is that all from bottle shops or distilleries?

Distilleries for the most part. I did pick up a couple bottles on the Royal Mile, though - that Bunnahabhain 76 among them.

dug fin fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 4, 2012

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

How's the Bowmore?

It's nice. It's got a bit of honey sweetness to it. There's a bit of good Islay salt with a little barley on the nose. I didn't get very much peat from it, if any. I wouldn't call it deep of character, but it's very smooth and the flavors flow very well.

That said, it's not my favorite - I prefer the brashness of an Ardbeg or a Kilchoman. If you like smoother dessert type drams, though, the Legend is definitely a good one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schpyder posted:

You do mean the Lagavulin Distillers Edition right?

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
For anyone that cares, I have a small whiskey blog up. I'm slowly working through what I brought home from Scotland, along with some of the things I've been picking up on the side.

scotchbynumbers.com

Having a few tastings for my coworkers over the Christmas holiday, going to pop the Black Arts 3, Auchentoshan Copper's Reserve and Amrut Cask Strength.

dug fin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

spankmeister posted:

You do mean the Lagavulin Distillers Edition right?

Oh whoops, of course I did. :doh: