Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I'm watching the Grant channel-4 doc now, and reading this:
they all use the same phrase 'crossing the rubicon', almost as if there all talking to each other and putting forward a united front to the rest of us... odd that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Leveson has bowled a slow full toss at Cameron, and he and the Tories have contrived to trip over their own bat and knock the bails off.

Leveson's report is very much at the easy going end of what he could have suggested, yet Cameron is floundering and basically refusing to implement it. Ridiculous and maddening.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pasco posted:

Leveson has bowled a slow full toss at Cameron, and he and the Tories have contrived to trip over their own bat and knock the bails off.

Leveson's report is very much at the easy going end of what he could have suggested, yet Cameron is floundering and basically refusing to implement it. Ridiculous and maddening.

You mean par for the course for that lot surely.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
What'd Clegg say?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Munin posted:

You mean par for the course for that lot surely.

Yes, in the sense that everything they do is ridiculous and maddening :v:

Plavski posted:

What'd Clegg say?

The political equivalent of white noise.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm just hypnotised by Grant's precisely disheveled tie.

Renfield posted:

I'm watching the Grant channel-4 doc now, and reading this:
they all use the same phrase 'crossing the rubicon', almost as if there all talking to each other and putting forward a united front to the rest of us... odd that

"there is a rubicon and when you cross it....that's a dangerous road to go down" That's one heck of a mixed metaphor.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So to summarize: Cameron is saying "We'll give you another chance to do it without statutory regulation".

So yeah, see you all back here in another, what, 10 years?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Less, with the internet becoming increasingly viable print media refusing to look for new readers and/or branding them as morons they are probably going to try even more shocking things to keep themselves relevent. I give it 5 years if this new stuff isn't implemented till we are all back here.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Plavski posted:

What'd Clegg say?

quote:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah newspapers blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Leveson blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah statutory blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Liberal Democrats blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

e:
here's the blurb

http://www.dpm.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/news/deputy-prime-minister-s-statement-house-commons-response-lord-justice-leveson-s-inquiry-culture

Basically he's backing Leveson's recommendations by the looks of things, but it's not really a huge surprise. What would be a surprise is if it ended up meaning anything

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 29, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's :psyduck:-worthy seeing some Lib Dems on Twitter praising Cameron as the valiant defender of press freedom, and those most likely to support Clegg at that.

Anyone got any parts of the Report to share? I recommend the entirety of F.6., it's a brilliant read.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

TinTower posted:

It's :psyduck:-worthy seeing some Lib Dems on Twitter praising Cameron as the valiant defender of press freedom, and those most likely to support Clegg at that.

Anyone got any parts of the Report to share? I recommend the entirety of F.6., it's a brilliant read.

Piers Morgan is described as utterly unpersuasive at one point, which is legalese for 'he's a liar'.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Great snark from the Grauniad on Parliamentary debate

Simon Hoggart posted:

Thank heavens that Sir Peter Tapsell rose next. There used to be a "royal edition" of the Times, printed on superior paper and delivered to Buckingham Palace. Sir Peter is a royal edition in himself. No one would dream of regulating him. "Some owners of the national press," he thundered, "have been bad men!" He paused. "And sometimes foreigners!" This was a mistake because a few of the chavvier MPs began to laugh, mockingly.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So has all this been for nothing then? 2 -odd years of drama and earth-shattering revelations and the final call is "Yeah. No."? How the gently caress can this be allowed to continue?

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Hoggart is always taking the piss out of Tapsell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PiCroft posted:

So has all this been for nothing then? 2 -odd years of drama and earth-shattering revelations and the final call is "Yeah. No."? How the gently caress can this be allowed to continue?

Now that this distraction is over the Mail can get back to writing about what they really love.

Edit- also this 'story'.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 29, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

'Swimwear-clad girls'

'DAILY MAIL REPORTER'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

But the press has been directed to regulate themselves! Mind you they don't have to, but if they don't, there could be unpleasantness.

The walls are crumbling, don't you see?

:toot:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

marktheando posted:

Now that this distraction is over the Mail can get back to writing about what they really love.

Edit- also this 'story'.

Apparently the Daily Mail feel the best response is to just troll the gently caress out of readers!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

WMain00 posted:

Apparently the Daily Mail feel the best response is to just troll the gently caress out of readers!

The first one is really a return to form, honestly. Not for nothing are they called the Dail Heil.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

PiCroft posted:

There's a lot of drama still to occur. One of the things that we're forgetting in getting annoyed with Cameron over his non committal to statutory regulation is that he's said that Self-Regulation isn't possible any more and rejected Lord Black's proposals for a reformed PCC (There are a lot of whingy editorials about that in the papers today).

What Cameron is doing is he's trying to have his cake and eat it. He wants independent regulation to please the public, make it look like he's doing "something" and keep criticism and the dealings with the Murdoch's and Brooks out of the spotlight but he doesn't want to bring in the statutory element needed since he doesn't want to lose the support of the media either. It's going to drag on a bit while Cameron tries to find this centre ground he likes while both sides fight it out.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My Twitter mate @MrsTrevithick spotted something in late submissions to the Leveson Inquiry Tom Watson has picked up on

quote:

Very late submission from the Metropolitan Police to the Leveson inquiry suggests John Yates has yet more serious questions to answer

A remarkable last minute submission from the Metropolitan police to the Leveson inquiry has been brought to my attention by the twitter user going by the name of @MrsTrevithick. The submission claims that as far back as 2009, senior investigating officers at the Metropolitan police had a strong belief that there was wider criminality at the News of the World and urged John Yates to re-open the inquiry – or get another police force to investigate.

The date of the submission was 21st November 2012 – almost too late to be included in the final deliberations of the team drafting the report. So whilst according to press reports the Metropolitan police seemed to have been cleared by Leveson, this last minute submission would not have been able to significantly change the conclusions in the document.

Just looking at the document suggests to me that John Yates has very serious questions to answer. I’m shocked that this testimony has been sneaked out in this way.

The document appeared late on the Leveson inquiry website possibly as late as last night. Please take a look at the Keith Surtees evidence here.

I am looking at all the other late published documents and will write more later today if I spot anything else.

See key extracts from the late submission of DCS Keith Surtees:

“On more than one occasion in meetings I attended in 2009, with AC
John Yates and others advising him, I voiced my concern that the
original investigation could and should be re-opened or re-examined
and suggested either HMIC or another Force undertake such a task. I
explained that the reasons for ending all activity in 2006, including the
victim notification strategy, no longer existed in 2009. DCS Williams can
confirm this as he was present, as can DCS Clive Timmons who was
also present.”

“Third, I set out my view on the possibility that the criminality extended
beyond Mulcaire and Goodman. It was a view held jointly by DCS
Williams and myself that the phone interception and other criminal
conduct of Mulcaire and Goodman was not limited to them, and that the
criminality extended further. This view is clearly expressed in the
decision log of the Operation.”

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

So the two major changes suggested by Leveson seem to be in regards to regulation and data protection. From by reading I understand that the changes are:

Regulation: The PCC+ will basically be the PCC but it will be more independent (less editors on the board, etc ) and will (hopefully, if Cameron doesn't poo poo himself) have another independent agency like the OFC making sure that it doesn't get corrupt and self-interested.

Data protection: The exemption for journalists won't be basically a carte blance exemption to override an individuals right to privacy where journalists can completely excuse themselves from privacy concerns based on the fact that they are journalists, but will have to cover themselves under more specific exemptions that are pretty much already catered for.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

So the two major changes suggested by Leveson seem to be in regards to regulation and data protection. From by reading I understand that the changes are:

Regulation: The PCC+ will basically be the PCC but it will be more independent (less editors on the board, etc ) and will (hopefully, if Cameron doesn't poo poo himself) have another independent agency like the OFC making sure that it doesn't get corrupt and self-interested.

Data protection: The exemption for journalists won't be basically a carte blance exemption to override an individuals right to privacy where journalists can completely excuse themselves from privacy concerns based on the fact that they are journalists, but will have to cover themselves under more specific exemptions that are pretty much already catered for.

Thankfully, this isn't completely true.

A lot of the focus and debate has been on the 'big ticket' items like whether there should be statutory underpinning, who should draw up the guidelines, etc.

But everyone (important) has agreed to the 'Leveson principles', and the stuff he's set out is quite different from the PCC. Off the top of my head: 3rd party complaints allowed (makes it less easy to bash gays, muslims, etc. as a group), power to fine and censure (the PCC were literally toothless) and specific investigative powers.

It is not just the 'PCC2' that Lord Black and the papers wanted.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the Telegraph

quote:

Rupert Murdoch to split News Corp early to limit fallout from hacking scandal

Robert Thomson, managing editor of the Wall Street Journal and editor in chief of Dow Jones, is expected to be named chief executive of the publishing division, which will be separated off in the carve up.

News Corp said in June that it would separate its troubled newspaper and book publishing assets from its more valuable film and television businesses, which generate 74pc of its $33.4bn a year revenues and 90pc of its profits.

At the time, Mr Murdoch said he hoped to complete the process within 12 months but that he had been advised by his finance and legal times that it could take longer. However, the businesses will be separated much sooner than expected, in a move that is set to please investors.

Mr Murdoch will retain his iron grip on the empire, by becoming chairman of both operations and chief executive of the entertainment arm, whose assets range from Fox Television and a 39pc stake in BSkyB to Twentieth Century Fox film studios.

However, the question of who would lead the beleaguered publishing division had remained open until Mr Murdoch alighted on Mr Thomson, a former editor of the Times.

The two men share a deep love of newspapers – something that some of the other contenders for the title lacked – but this is not all they have in common. Both Mr Murdoch and Mr Thomson come from Australia, share the same birthday and have Chinese wives. Mr Thomson was the only non-family member from News Corp to attend the baptism of Mr Murdoch’s youngest daughters in the river Jordan, whilst Mr Thomson made Mr Murdoch godfather to his two sons.

“Robert is part of Rupert’s inner circle. He is fond of Robert in the same way he was of Rebekah Brooks [the former News International chief executive], whom he regarded as some kind of surrogate daughter,” a source told The Daily Telegraph.

More importantly for News Corp, Mr Thomson shares Mr Murdoch’s combative approach to the establishment and willingness to make cuts if necessary. The question over what to do at the financially struggling New York Post will be at the top of his to-do list.

Mr Thomson’s probably move to the helm of News Corp’s publishing division is also expected to trigger a shake-up of other executive roles, with sources speculating that James Harding, editor of the Times, could move across to the Wall Street Journal.

However, Mr Thomson’s ascendance at News International will come as a blow to Tom Mockridge, chief executive of the company’s UK newspaper division, News International, who had also been widely tipped to lead the new publishing arm. Sources thought he would land the job partly as a reward for agreeing to swap his job as chief executive of Sky Italia to help revive the troubled newspaper business after it was left in tatters by the phone hacking scandal.

Other potential contenders included Lachlan Murdoch, already a member of the News Corp board, although his father Rupert Murdoch had indicated in recent weeks that this was looking unlikely. News Corp is already facing charges of nepotism and Lachlan Murdoch has shown little interest in the newspapers, or leaving his existing job in Australia.

Mr Murdoch has claimed that News Corp’s split into two divisions has nothing to do with the phone hacking or police bribery scandals in the UK, that have engulfed the entire company and left its reputation in tatters. However, the separation will allow the business to draw a clean line between its damaged publishing assets and the most valuable parts of the empire.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

From the Telegraph

Murdoch's daughters were baptized in the river Jordan? :monocle:

Is that just because he's crazy-rich, or is he crazy-religious, too?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A lovely article:

quote:

Please stop saying “This excellent industry is being punished for the sins of the few.” My brief experience of your relatively small profession is that most people have worked in most environments with most people. I could link any two of you in two steps, through either a publication or a colleague. You may not all have engaged in questionable conduct, but to suggest you did not know what was going on is risible.

Please stop saying “We are not one homogenous group. We are a collection of individuals.” You seem to be able to get together, close ranks and pretty much all sing from the same hymn-sheet when threatened. Precisely the same qualities should have been (and can still be) used to put your house in order.

Please stop saying “This is the thin end of the wedge. Once legislation is introduced, it will grow.” You are possibly the best informed and, if not the most powerful, certainly the most vocal lobby in this country. It’s not like additional legislation will slip past you.

Please stop saying “There is already adequate protection in the law.” You know full well this protection is only available to those with money, time, knowhow and connections. I was having a beer with a buddy last night, who used to work in the tabloid press. He tells me that the single deciding factor in running or not running a less than well founded story is usually the subject’s financial ability to sue.

Please stop saying “We are special. We perform a vital public service. We should be protected.” The same applies to doctors, pharma companies, lawyers, police, farmers, the fire service, pilots. They are all, quite rightly, regulated. A badly put together article might leave me dissatisfied. A badly put together gas boiler can leave me dead. The imposition of professional standards in a fact of modern life.

Please stop saying “We have already changed. It will be different this time.” You sound like a recalcitrant abusive alcoholic begging his wife in hospital not to press charges.

Read the whole thing, Aussie bloggers are heartily wishing the same were true here.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In case you were wondering which side Borris was on he stepped up with this delightful article

bozzer posted:

You know I don’t want to be more at odds than usual with public opinion; but I have just read the Leveson Report – all four volumes of horror – and my first reaction is that the British press is really rather magnificent. Every paper, virtually without exception, can claim to be running at least one good and original campaign against some abuse, and some of them run several at once.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9718041/It-is-the-web-not-the-press-that-must-be-brought-under-control.html

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I love Boris' stance of "why didn't Leveson disregard his remit and talk about the internet? That's the real crime here!"

I didn't see anyone from twitter, or twitter defenders or accusers on the Leveson list. I didn't see Mark Zuckerberg talking about the importance of facebook in the arab spring and regretting the twat who posted that poo poo about that dead girl recently. Instead we got people talking about the newspapers and Leveson compiled a report about newspapers.

I mean come on Boris, you're not that desperate to save your own paper are you?

And yes, I know you're reading this as you appear to think internet commentary is sainted and hallowed territory.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is it even possible to read the entire thing in 4 days? If so, as a Londoner, why the gently caress wasn't he doing his job a mayor?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is probably a stupid question, but why aren't Ofcom already in charge of the press? Why not just make them have control over press complaints?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A sinking ship?

quote:

Tom Mockridge resigns because uncomfortable with role

Tom Mockridge resigned as News International chief executive because Rupert Murdoch's overhaul of parent company News Corporation "does not offer me a role I am comfortable with".

Mockridge, whose surprise resignation was confirmed late on Sunday, told News International staff in an email on Monday that he felt he had made enough of a contribution to the company to leave.

"To be direct, the reason I am leaving is that the new structure does not offer me a role I am comfortable with and, after 22 years with the company in five countries, I feel I have made enough of a contribution to make a personal choice to go," he said in the email.

Mockridge's resignation takes place during a radical overhaul of News Corp's newspaper and publishing business expected to be confirmed later on Monday, as it is prepared for a spin-off from the company's film and TV assets.

The Wall Street Journal's managing editor Robert Thomson is expected to be confirmed as the head of this new publishing business, which will also see a new boss in charge of News Corp's British titles, including the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times.

In the email to staff, Mockridge described the Sun as "the economic heartbeat of our business" and said News International must position itself as a business that is "economically indifferent as to whether customers buy print or digital".

Mockridge is widely credited with having stabilised News International since he took over from Rebekah Brooks in June 2011, when the company was in turmoil at the height of the News of the World phone-hacking scandal.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Isn't he just throwing a pissy tantrum that he hasn't been picked to head the entire newspaper division when News Corp splits in two?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

A sinking ship?

Not really. As was mentioned earlier he thought he had the top job in the newspaper division in the bag. The resignation is probably primarily due to being passed over for promotion rather than anything else.

That said it should make it easier for him to spill the beans should he want to.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/marksweney/status/275590797963952129

quote:

News Corporation to shut The Daily iPad app from 15 December. "Bold experiment" but not profitable, says Murdoch

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chris Bryant is claiming some explosive stuff about the Saddam pants story in Parliament at the moment

quote:

Bryant claims (parliamentary privilege) that news int destroyed a laptop that could prove it illegally paid a US army officer for Saddam pic
Bryant says the money was paid illegally to army source in US and specially set up UK account. UK and US editors must have known

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've also made it to the final round of the Golden Twits, do make sure you all vote for me, otherwise Peter Mannion, DIMBLEBOT, or Ermintrude off the Magic Roundabout might beat me, and we can't have that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I've also made it to the final round of the Golden Twits, do make sure you all vote for me, otherwise Peter Mannion, DIMBLEBOT, or Ermintrude off the Magic Roundabout might beat me, and we can't have that.

Is the voting limited to UK folks or can any slob from the planet join in?

I wondered what happened to the Saddam in his tighty whities scandal. I think parliament is being very stingy not sharing with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Highspeeddub posted:

Is the voting limited to UK folks or can any slob from the planet join in?

I wondered what happened to the Saddam in his tighty whities scandal. I think parliament is being very stingy not sharing with everyone else.

Pretty sure anyone can.

If you want to learn ALOT more about Saddam and his pants check out my recent tweets and retweets here, and there's a Daily Beast article coming up soon.

• Locked thread