Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kill-9 posted:

Not all of us. I've gone the last 3 summers in a car with no A/C. I also just bought another classic car with no A/C. It's a convertible so it'll not see a lot of time on the road in summer. It's fine if you're moving but sitting in traffic in 105degrees sucks balls.

I know Indiana doesn't get as bad as Texas but I went without working AC in a black car for 8 years. These last two summers have been heavenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Rhyno posted:

YOU SHUT UP. If UF wants to build an Atom then by God we will encourage him.

I am more or less saving my truck shell for this same purpose. I just want a roof.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

EightBit posted:

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

There's a big difference between having shade (bikini top) and nothing. I drive my Miata all year round in FL without using the AC, but during the summer the top is up with the rear window down, no way I could do it with the top down exposed to the sun.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

heh. Seriously? Also good post / username combo. I really have to wonder if that was the work of a disgruntled repair manual author.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

I am more or less saving my truck shell for this same purpose. I just want a roof.

You're building an Atom out of a truck shell? I WANT TO SEE THIS PROJECT RIGHT NOW.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

leica posted:

There's a big difference between having shade (bikini top) and nothing. I drive my Miata all year round in FL without using the AC, but during the summer the top is up with the rear window down, no way I could do it with the top down exposed to the sun.

I do have a bikini top (really a Rampage top with the sides and door tops off), but I also used to own an RX7 convertible, which I always drove with the top down. I've spent so much time with lovely manual labor jobs in the heat that driving around really doesn't bother me any more.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kill-9 posted:

Found this at Cars and Coffee in Austin. I'd never seen one in person. It had a for sale sticker on it: $73K and it was yours.

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven. Of course, you are also completely invisible to other cars, only have tiny motorcycle mirrors, and no suspension travel. It was a lot of fun, but a complete and utter ripoff-- and definitely not usable on public roads.

That being said, I want it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Don't mind me.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 3, 2012

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

jonathan posted:

The JK which is 2007 has a longer and wider wheelbase, longer axle control arms (huge benefits), Gen II Dana 44 axles, and the sway bar disconnect.

I remember when those first came out, there was an error in Mopar's system for the sway bar disconnect assembly which priced it at $80; they actually go for $1500+. :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

beedeebee posted:

I just got back from Paris and saw some pretty exotic cars, sadly I got no pictures.
But anyway, I saw one car driving away and I can't figure out what it was. It's been bugging me the last couple of hours, and I just can't remember what it's called.
So anyway, the backside looked like this:
code:
       _____                 ______
       xxxxx \______________/xxxxxx  

X's being the taillights. I know it isn't much, but I'm sure someone around here can tell me what I saw.

here's my guess:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

MetaJew posted:

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven.

It most likely was. It had the supercharged 4-banger. My son was disappointed it wasn't the V-8 Atom 500 but only an Atom 3. I'm turning my kid into a car snob. I'm so proud.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Parked next to this nice Typhoon yesterday:

The calipers had 'Corvette' on them but looked small. Is it a possible swap?
Also it had something hanging down, maybe fuel? Looked thick

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Linedance posted:

here's my guess:

Yes! That's it! I knew I had seen it before. The good news is I can now stop wondering what it was, the bad news is I didn't see a Reventon in person.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

Before I got the gently caress out of Texas, my first car was a 68 bug, no A/C for 2 years. I grew up in Houston. Most of the cars my parents owned were VWs with no A/C. My 2nd car was an 85 Accord that had A/C for 3 days before the compressor poo poo itself. My next car had A/C for about 4 years before the compressor on that blew up. The job I was working at I drove a lovely mid 90s Ford diesel van with no A/C and had to load 100s of old 17" crt monitors and computers in the middle of the summer. gently caress all yall talking about Texans who can't deal with the heat.

There's a reason I no longer live in the hellhole.
Meanwhile in Colorado, winter still hasn't bothered to come around :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

beedeebee posted:

Yes! That's it! I knew I had seen it before. The good news is I can now stop wondering what it was, the bad news is I didn't see a Reventon in person.

The good news is that you saw a McLaren in person, which is cooler.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MetaJew posted:

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven. Of course, you are also completely invisible to other cars, only have tiny motorcycle mirrors, and no suspension travel. It was a lot of fun, but a complete and utter ripoff-- and definitely not usable on public roads.

That being said, I want it.

I believe that in America they used the supercharged LSJ used in the Cobalt SS and Ion Redlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom#United_States_licensing

I've always wanted to drive one of those things, but yeah, they're extremely rare.

edit: woops missed this part

quote:

A limited run of approximately 10 US built Atom 2 cars, manufactured in 2006-2007, were powered by imported Honda K20As.

In January 2008,...TMI started production by building Honda-powered Atom 3 cars.
I'm an idiot, still really cool stuff though.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 3, 2012

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Saw this rad Land Rover at Lowes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rhyno posted:

YOU SHUT UP. If UF wants to build an Atom then by God we will encourage him.
Only if he creates and keeps a project thread updated about it. :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

The good news is that you saw a McLaren in person, which is cooler.

I've seen six separate mp4-12cs over the past two months... total Reventons: 0.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Saw this rad Land Rover at Lowes.

If you're interested, that looks to be a Series 2, from between '58 and '61.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

If you're interested, that looks to be a Series 2, from between '58 and '61.

In the US it's probably a Series IIA. I had one for about 3 years. This one does have the rare PTO capstan winch up front which is kind of sweet. And great for hurting yourself badly on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kill-9 posted:

In the US it's probably a Series IIA. I had one for about 3 years. This one does have the rare PTO capstan winch up front which is kind of sweet. And great for hurting yourself badly on.

I was wondering about that. It looks like something you'd moor a ship to.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kill-9 posted:

Hmm, are US details different? I was basing it on:
- 3x3 spoke wheel
- Body-colour instrument panel
- Proud headlights.

The capstan means I couldn't use the front dumbiron panel to gauge it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, are US details different? I was basing it on:
- 3x3 spoke wheel
- Body-colour instrument panel
- Proud headlights.

The capstan means I couldn't use the front dumbiron panel to gauge it.

You could be right. The '63 I had had all those details too though. 50 years on, these trucks are such a mishmash of parts you can't tell without looking at the build plate.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 3, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Collateral Damage posted:

Only if he creates and keeps a project thread updated about it. :colbert:

Don't be silly.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

netwerk23 posted:

Parked next to this nice Typhoon yesterday:

The calipers had 'Corvette' on them but looked small. Is it a possible swap?
Also it had something hanging down, maybe fuel? Looked thick

Well, those are Z06 wheels, I suppose it's possible.

:h: Sy/Tys

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This passed me on the freeway yesterday. Kind of a WTF moment.

The :911: was unintentional.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SyHopeful posted:

Well, those are Z06 wheels, I suppose it's possible.

Apparently, the 17x8.5 is a good fit for the SyTy.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I was thinking 40mm gun but this looks a bit too small.

It's not this one but look at those casings eject from the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PcsTfvueE

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Back in the 90's when street racing was still a non mainstream thing, there was a Jimmy or blazer that had a body kit on it and that horrible purple/green changing paint and giant banner that said "Typhoon Type ZR"

It was pretty ugly, and fake, and the driver looked like Billy Gibbons.

But what was neat about it was the Safari Van AWD transfer case he installed, the drag radial tires on all 4 corners and the built Chevy small block stroker with wet nitrous kit.

I think he went low 10's at the drag strip while letting off at the end due to safety equipment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

poo poo, I know drivers on the 10 are assholes, but that's taking it a bit far!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

poo poo, I know drivers on the 10 are assholes, but that's taking it a bit far!

He was hauling rear end too. I was doing 80 on the right and blew by me like nothing. I guess if you're pulling a privately owned howitzer you do what you want. :v:

Edit: And 10 isn't that bad. Spend a career on 17 and then we'll talk. :P

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 4, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

boxen posted:

You're building an Atom out of a truck shell? I WANT TO SEE THIS PROJECT RIGHT NOW.

Ha ha, look at this fool.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
All these pictures of Lambos has got me all hot in the pants. I really like their styling these days. When Top Gear did the challenge where they Clarkson drove the Aventador I remember swooning hard when they showed this scene of him walking around the car in the garage. Just look at that side profile.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
Fuuuuck, so this flew by me in traffic today:

(e: imgur is down, you may be able to see them if you click but I'm not rehosting them right now... if they aren't back up soon, I will)

Alright, that's an awful view. Here's a picture I took last week when I saw it on the street:

It's a Veyron, and I believe a Grand Sport Vitesse. It's everything awful and everything awesome all in one. $2.5m, nearly 1200hp, 0-60 in 2.4s, and so on.

Here's another from today just before the first picture (when we were stuck in traffic).

Having said all of that, it was gorgeous.

http://imgur.com/a/MZaeg

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

e: found some more.

Scorpio Land Yacht:

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 4, 2012

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

All these pictures of Lambos has got me all hot in the pants. I really like their styling these days. When Top Gear did the challenge where they Clarkson drove the Aventador I remember swooning hard when they showed this scene of him walking around the car in the garage. Just look at that side profile.

What is this still from?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's from this:

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
BMW M6 converted to a GAZ-21 for some reason...

http://englishrussia.com/2012/11/13/bmw-into-gaz/

NO LEECHING

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 4, 2012