Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm surprised no Marvel Cartoon has yet to put Deadpool in it based on his popularity. I mean the only good thing that could come from Ultimate Spiderman is if Deadpool crashes one of Spidey's stupid cutaway gags.
Possible spoilers I guess if you haven't seen Hulk Vs. Wolverine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI5y20X2Gk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Is the cutaway thing what you guys hate so much about Ultimate Spiderman? I only watch it if there's nothing better on, but I can't seem to find the vitriol for it that you guys do.

I guess I'll have to give Spectacular another try. The first time around I couldn't get into it mostly because of the awful theme song and how everyone looked like Scott Pilgrim characters.

This post just made me realize that I would watch the gently caress out of a Brian Lee O'Malley directed kid's cartoon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Magnus Condomus posted:

Possible spoilers I guess if you haven't seen Hulk Vs. Wolverine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI5y20X2Gk
I know, but I'm saying on TV.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

skooma512 posted:

I still watch the 90s Batman cartoon. It's not childish or lame so it's tolerable even for adults.

It does have the odd episode that seems out of place with how bad it is, though. Like the one with a child actress that never ages, or the entirety of the 4th season when they changed the animation style.

readingatwork posted:

This post just made me realize that I would watch the gently caress out of a Brian Lee O'Malley directed kid's cartoon.

How could he target an audience that doesn't have 20 years of nostalgia to draw from?

That could be a pretty awesome deconstruction, come to think of it. Remake Scott Pilgrim only all the references are to games from the past few years like Angry Birds or Call of Duty, see how quickly the people who praised the original turn against it :allears:

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 19, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Farbtoner posted:

How could he target an audience that doesn't have 20 years of nostalgia and reto draw from?

That could be a pretty awesome deconstruction, come to think of it. Remake Scott Pilgrim only all the references are to games from the past few years like Angry Birds or Call of Duty, see how quickly the people who praised the original turn against it :allears:

Now THAT I would watch.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

raditts posted:

Now THAT I would watch.

Behold as the "Warpzone" is redubbed "Fast Travel"!

I just watched Episode 10 of Ben 10 Omniverse (the second part of the two-parter), and I'm kinda angry at Big Chill's redesign. He always was my favorite alien-design, but he's way too bulky in the new show.
Also, I like the fact Waybig is in the Omnitrix. Supersize, Superspeed, Superstrenght AND a Ultraman laser cannon? No wonder they have to reset the Omnitrix every 10 episodes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Farbtoner posted:

It does have the odd episode that seems out of place with how bad it is, though. Like the one with a child actress that never ages, or the entirety of the 4th season when they changed the animation style.
Hey now the first Babydoll episode was great :colbert:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Farbtoner posted:

How could he target an audience that doesn't have 20 years of nostalgia to draw from?

If it was aimed at 20 somethings? Some kind of Bob's Burger/Family Guy/Simpsons animated sitcom starring teen hipsters learning what it means to be mature with video game gags and fights on the side, basically an eposidic show sort of in Scott Pilgrim's world?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So after being disappointed in episode 10 of Omniverse, I decided to re-watch some of the original Ben 10. Dear lord is it so much better than any of the newer series. He acts more mature as a 10 year old than he does as a 15 year old. There are episodes in the first and second season that directly deal with Ben getting a bit too hero entitled and then learning from it. Hell, he directly tells Gwen that he couldn't have defeated the monster of the week without her help.

I don't know what went wrong between series, but someone shat the bed.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Magnus Condomus posted:

So after being disappointed in episode 10 of Omniverse, I decided to re-watch some of the original Ben 10. Dear lord is it so much better than any of the newer series. He acts more mature as a 10 year old than he does as a 15 year old. There are episodes in the first and second season that directly deal with Ben getting a bit too hero entitled and then learning from it. Hell, he directly tells Gwen that he couldn't have defeated the monster of the week without her help.

Oh god yeah the part where Ben admitted his need for help stuck out like a sore thumb. Were they too afraid they might offend someone so they have to be nice about everything?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Is the cutaway thing what you guys hate so much about Ultimate Spiderman? I only watch it if there's nothing better on, but I can't seem to find the vitriol for it that you guys do.

I guess I'll have to give Spectacular another try. The first time around I couldn't get into it mostly because of the awful theme song and how everyone looked like Scott Pilgrim characters.

The Spectacular Spider-Man theme song is a masterpiece GOD drat YOU :argh:

Naw but seriously, for me it is pretty much the cutaway thing. I tried my best to just ignore it, because the show does have very pretty action sequences, but the few episodes I've seen (I watched like, the first 5 episodes and gave up) are just so packed to the gills with jokes that it feels like I've got the writers in the room with me jabbing me in the ribs saying "Eh? That was good, right?" Which could, again, be forgiven if the jokes were loving funny. I don't know whether it's because they're trying to write so many jokes that they're sacrificing quality for quantity or whether it's because somebody figured writing dumb sight gags (look Spider-Man in a sombrero!) would be easier than writing actual snappy dialogue, but everything feels so forced. Plus a lot of people have already complained that it replaced a pretty much superior product and that it helped get Avengers shoved off for a new series makes me admittedly more bitter towards it than I should be.

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey now the first Babydoll episode was great :colbert:

The only problem with that episode is that Batman has a serious problem chasing down a child-sized woman. Granted, for some reason, Batman decided to get inside a McDonald's playground to chase her down (like an idiot) which would restrict his movement, but still, I have serious problems reconciling the Batman-who-sometimes-is-kind-of-a-gently caress-up of earlier B:TAS episodes with the Omega-Beam-dodging-Bat-god of the later DCAU.

Magnus Condomus posted:

Dwayne McDuffie died. R.I.P.

Yeah, I thought the original series was also definitely superior to pretty much all its sequel series.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 20, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

TwoPair posted:

The Spectacular Spider-Man theme song is a masterpiece GOD drat YOU :argh:

Naw but seriously, for me it is pretty much the cutaway thing. I tried my best to just ignore it, because the show does have very pretty action sequences, but the few episodes I've seen (I watched like, the first 5 episodes and gave up) are just so packed to the gills with jokes that it feels like I've got the writers in the room with me jabbing me in the ribs saying "Eh? That was good, right?" Which could, again, be forgiven if the jokes were loving funny. I don't know whether it's because they're trying to write so many jokes that they're sacrificing quality for quantity or whether it's because somebody figured writing dumb sight gags (look Spider-Man in a sombrero!) would be easier than writing actual snappy dialogue, but everything feels so forced. Plus a lot of people have already complained that it replaced a pretty much superior product and that it helped get Avengers shoved off for a new series makes me admittedly more bitter towards it than I should be.

The whole show really feels like a bad Teen Titans. Maybe they were trying to appeal to those 9gaging 12 year olds that were raised by the internet, in which case it's probably more up their alley, and who am I to blame a show that does what it's supposed to do.
I'm just disappointed that it's just such a huge step-down from Spectacular Spiderman. I like that they're covering lesser known material from the comics instead of the usual Green Goblin + Doc Oc + Venom ordeal, which is why I can appreciate Super Hero Squad (seriously, that show has some really obscure stuff), but the whole thing is just so widely unappealing. For every step forward, they make two steps backwards. There's a theoretical good balance between Parker and Spiderman, but the teen life stuff is really bad. The fight scenes are usually pretty good, but the art style is just so bland and uninspired. And any hint of a good joke is buried in a wave of repetition and non-sequitur.
Oh, and Mary Jane is so much worse. She's practically Lois Lane now, and they picked Tara Strong for her voice.

Is this show successful? The least I'd want for the executives is more encouragement to make more of this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Dwayne McDuffie died. R.I.P.

Yeah, I thought the original series was also definitely superior to pretty much all its sequel series.

McDuffie was responsible for most of the newer series that people don't seem to like, though. He wasn't really involved in the original series. He also did considerable work on Omniverse before he died, but his wife Charlotte Fullerton has mostly picked up the writing reigns.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

Oh god yeah the part where Ben admitted his need for help stuck out like a sore thumb. Were they too afraid they might offend someone so they have to be nice about everything?

I don't know. That whole episode with the twins (Camp Terror I think?) had some pretty clunky writing, but even so the art and animation for the fungus dudes was really cool. I much prefer Learn A Lesson Ben to rear end in a top hat Ben, even if it can be a bit groan inducing.

kefkafloyd posted:

McDuffie was responsible for most of the newer series that people don't seem to like, though. He wasn't really involved in the original series. He also did considerable work on Omniverse before he died, but his wife Charlotte Fullerton has mostly picked up the writing reigns.

Fullerton has a much better track record of working on shows/episodes that I liked. I was really sad to see Generator Rex go, but I guess having an actual ending is better than getting "Generator Rex Ultimate Evo" and being disappointed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Really? Oh. I thought he was really involved in the original and was dead before Omniverse was even in the planning stages. Egg on my face, then. :blush:

Well then I guess I retract my previous statement on the matter, but I agree with you in that the first series was definitely better than any of its successors, and a lot of the heart's been missing from the show for a while now.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 20, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Really? Oh. I thought he was really involved in the original and was dead before Omniverse was even in the planning stages. Egg on my face, then. :blush:

Well then I guess I retract my previous statement on the matter, but I agree with you in that the first series was definitely better than any of its successors, and a lot of the heart's been missing from the show for a while now.

Well, "the original" is just plain-jane Ben 10.

Then you have the Alien Force / Ultimate Alien, then you have Omniverse, and Dwayne's involvement started in Alien Force. There were distinct change in tone amongst these three, even though they're all the same continuity. Dwayne's work on Omniverse was more big picture/concept stuff; a lot of the execution was left to Charlotte when she became story editor after his death. She talked about it quite a bit when she was on Rob Paulsen's podcast.

I've only cursorily watched Ben 10 (the original series and the Alien Force continuity), but I believe McDuffie tried to add some of his Justice League style to the show and it didn't really seem to take; the tone is just too different. The show hugely appeals to young boys and is a marketer's money dream, though, hence why it keeps on going. I love Max Tennyson though; if they made a show just about him I'd tune in every week.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 20, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

TwoPair posted:

The only problem with that episode is that Batman has a serious problem chasing down a child-sized woman. Granted, for some reason, Batman decided to get inside a McDonald's playground to chase her down (like an idiot) which would restrict his movement, but still, I have serious problems reconciling the Batman-who-sometimes-is-kind-of-a-gently caress-up of earlier B:TAS episodes with the Omega-Beam-dodging-Bat-god of the later DCAU.
I thought the reason that Bruce or Paul gave was that BTAS was early in his career as Batman, so he was not as good as JLU Batman. Though to be fair they kind of had to beef up Batman's stats in JL-JLU.

I understand why you have problems with that episode now, but I still think it has one of the best endings to a BTAS episode.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

So he's the one that said everything is from aliens/sex with aliens?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Magnus Condomus posted:

I don't know. That whole episode with the twins (Camp Terror I think?) had some pretty clunky writing, but even so the art and animation for the fungus dudes was really cool. I much prefer Learn A Lesson Ben to rear end in a top hat Ben, even if it can be a bit groan inducing.

I was annoyed during multiple episodes at how much of a prick Ben could be back in the original show, even though I know he's supposed to be 10. I get that he's a little kid with the most powerful tool in the universe on his wrist, but at times he's just so tenaciously unappealing. After all, as much of him being annoying adds to the character, he's still being annoying. Teen-Ben felt like less of a jerk, but he was still cocky, which makes sense.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
During the weekend I rewatched Wakfu again, I'm still amazed by how much I like it. Is there any word on a season 3 or are they done?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Neo Helbeast posted:

During the weekend I rewatched Wakfu again, I'm still amazed by how much I like it. Is there any word on a season 3 or are they done?

From what I heard, Wakfu is going to continue on in comic books only, while the studio will go on to a new project.
I do not have a definite source, though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was reading the Wakfu Wikipedia article yesterday and they said that their current animation plan was a Wakfu movie. No clue if that information is out of date though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I kinda wish they'd sort out their international distro plan out first. This looks like a whole lot of Avatar'esc money that they are missing out on.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Anyone else here watch Dragons: Riders of Berk?
It's been pretty good for a follow up to the original movie, but episode 10: "Heather Report Part 1" which aired on 14th November, the animation quality seemed to have dipped compared to the previous nine episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I watched the first couple episodes and thought it was terrible. Seemed like Pokemon But With Dragons.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

spookygonk posted:

Anyone else here watch Dragons: Riders of Berk?
It's been pretty good for a follow up to the original movie, but episode 10: "Heather Report Part 1" which aired on 14th November, the animation quality seemed to have dipped compared to the previous nine episodes.

I've been watching it because I want it to be good and live up to the movie, but ultimately it's been a bit disappointing. Episode 10 was a good lead in for a two parter, but episode 11 is just the most cliched predictable thing. And then episode 12 was also exceedingly predictable and entirely bugged me from a character standpoint.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Magnus Condomus posted:

I've been watching it because I want it to be good and live up to the movie, but ultimately it's been a bit disappointing. Episode 10 was a good lead in for a two parter, but episode 11 is just the most cliched predictable thing. And then episode 12 was also exceedingly predictable and entirely bugged me from a character standpoint.

The writing certainly doesn't live up to the movie but I wouldn't say it's a complete trainwreck. Mainly I think the problem with the show is that it's hobbled by the whole "deliver one moral lesson an episode" format, to the point where it's like "Recess" with dragons. What ends up happening is that they try to focus on character development with that moral message, but because of the limitations of trying to address one thing like that every episode (or two-episode arc) it ends up seeming rushed and not at all believable. Another problem is that they only really focus on Hiccup, Stoick, or Astrid - with every other character being very one-dimensional. Lastly the dragons are basically just dumb animals and vehicles in the show, whereas in the movie Toothless at least was very much a character. Other than in that one episode with the baby dragon Toothless doesn't really *do* anything other than be ridden.

Besides those major problems, the animation is good (usually), the voiceacting is good, and the dialogue can be witty at times. Really if they dropped the moral-an-episode thing and made more of the characters into actual characters rather than one-dimensional props it'd be a pretty good show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The dragons not being giant winged cats in the show really hurts it. A lot of the charm is missing.

They're just cars now really.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

IRQ posted:

The dragons not being giant winged cats in the show really hurts it. A lot of the charm is missing.

They're just cars now really.

Exactly! Now that I think of it that's a bigger problem than the forced character development via moral-an-episode poo poo.

...Although admittedly I don't really think the dragons other than Toothless had much personality in the movie, either, but this show would have been a perfect opportunity to fix that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think this owns but I'm not sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxbl9M13uw

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool. I knew I was in for something special when they did Abbey Road at the beginning, and the green ranger didn't have his boots on.

Also, holy poo poo. Bulk? Is he still doing this poo poo? Or did they just bring him in for this?

edit: Wikipedia tells him that he just came back to the show in 2011 after being gone 1999, and that he does some animation direction here and there. So, it's cool he's landing work. Also, he's best friends with Jason Narvy (Skull), so that's pretty :3:.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

El Tortuga posted:

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool. I knew I was in for something special when they did Abbey Road at the beginning, and the green ranger didn't have his boots on.

Also, holy poo poo. Bulk? Is he still doing this poo poo? Or did they just bring him in for this?

edit: Wikipedia tells him that he just came back to the show in 2011 after being gone 1999, and that he does some animation direction here and there. So, it's cool he's landing work. Also, he's best friends with Jason Narvy (Skull), so that's pretty :3:.

It's awesome for the Bulk as the Nevermind baby portion alone. Everything else is just a bonus.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

I found my own answer.

"Vous êtes très nombreux à nous réclamer une saison 3 de WAKFU.
Franchement vos messages nous font très plaisir et nous remplissent de fierté. Avec cette série nous avons tous vécu une grande aventure et clairement, l'équipe d'Ankama Animations a aujourd'hui un sacré niveau. Nous avons perdu quelques dents en route, mais quelle expérience magnifique !
Nous sommes en train de travailler sur d'autres projets mais il n'est pas exclu que nous puissions repartir sur une saison 3 (nous avons de toute façon depuis le début, l'envie d'en faire une trilogie).
J'en parlerai bientôt aux gens de Fr3 et s'ils sont d'accord, c'est avec grand plaisir que nous signerons la suite. En l'espérant cette fois, totalement feuilletonnante.
En tous les cas ne vous en faîtes pas, de très belles surprises vous attendent pour début 2013.

Nous vous tiendrons informés des évolutions, merci à tous pour votre soutien.
"

Sometime in 2013 and it was planned to be a trilogy from the start.

http://www.wakfu.com/fr/forum/20-discussions-generales/209770-wakfu-saison-3

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

El Tortuga posted:

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool.
You think that's cool?
How about every Ranger ever and also about a hundred more?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 6, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It looks like they filmed a Power Rangers-themed LARP.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

I watch this every time it's posted and each time I'm a little sad the MMPR team doesn't get more focus. But then I realize that it's just another season of this stuff over in Japan, not some grand beginning to the franchise.

Also, holy crap, some of those Ranger designs would've translated terribly to American audiences. Because I don't think every one of those incarnations has made it's way to the States, right?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

El Tortuga posted:

Also, holy crap, some of those Ranger designs would've translated terribly to American audiences. Because I don't think every one of those incarnations has made it's way to the States, right?

There were fifteen seasons of Super Sentai before Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, yes. Apparently, Saban wanted to bring over Jetman first (pretty much a live-action riff on G-Force/Battle of the Planets, and widely regarded as one of the best seasons ever), but it took too long to work out the rights.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 7, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

404GoonNotFound posted:

There were fifteen seasons of Super Sentai before Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, yes. Apparently, Saban wanted to bring over Jetman first (pretty much a live-action riff on G-Force/Battle of the Planets, and widely regarded as one of the best seasons ever), but it took too long to work out the rights.
Jetman's ending is a work of goddamn art and I'm glad Saban never got its hands on it seeing the awful mess that is Samurai.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

He wanted Bioman first, actually. Never happened because networks weren't hot on the idea of dubbing or subtitling live action. It wasn't til Zyu that Saban gave up and came up with the idea of putting the Saved by the Bellesque high school stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This was cooler. :colbert: