Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but why aren't Ofcom already in charge of the press? Why not just make them have control over press complaints?

Ofcom are a bunch of pre-existing agencies - the Broadcasting Standards Council and Independent Television Commission (the latter two handling complaints about all TV and radio, the former complaints about ITV and C4), the Thatcher-era Oftel (established to regulate the newly-privatised British Telecom), from which they get their internet-business regulatory powers), and three technical bodies (IBA, RA, and RCA) which regulated all other broadcast activities in the UK) - squished together by Blair because they all overlapped each other to a greater or lesser extent (and, some have said, because the RCA's resistance to the 3G spectrum auction nearly scuppered it).

Because there's never been any statutory regulation of the Press in the UK it probably just never occurred to anyone to include it with Ofcom.

(Personally I think Ofcom are pretty bad victims of regulatory capture and apart from some token slaps on the wrist to the most egregious offenders - ones that provably don't even wipe out the profits from the offences - have been utterly toothless in preventing abuse of the telecomms industry, while conversely being ridiculously over-restrictive and in thrall to the loony right when it comes to broadcast programming, and so are the worst possible example of the kind of regulation the press should be getting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here we go, more from the Daily Beast soon as well

quote:

The Sun paid US serviceman “a substantial sum” for Saddam photo, Parliament told

Rupert Murdoch faces calls to hand police all his personal emails to senior News International executives amid claims his media empire paid a serving member of the US forces for a photo of Saddam Hussein.

Labour MP Chris Bryant told the House of Commons on Monday night that the Sun newspaper paid “a substantial sum” for the picture of the Iraqi dictator in his underpants while he was an American prisoner of war.

A laptop containing the photograph was “later destroyed,” the Labour front-bencher claimed. Mr Bryant told MPs that Rupert Murdoch and his son James could eventually face corporate charges over the phone hacking scandal.

Scotland Yard is understood to be liaising with the FBI over the alleged acquisition of the picture of Hussein, taken in 2005.

During a Parliamentary debate on the Leveson Inquiry, Mr Bryant questioned why News Corp’s Management and Standards Committee – which controls what evidence of criminality at Wapping is passed to the Met – temporarily halted co-operation with the police in May this year.

Mr Bryant said: “It smacks of the plimsoll strategy, whereby senior management at News International and News Corp, as soon as the water started lapping a little bit higher chucked somebody else overboard, a newspaper, an editor.

“They provided the material about some of their journalists as long as they could make sure the ship still floated and the proprietors feet didn’t get wet.”

In May 2005, The Sun and the New York Post, Mr Murdoch’s favourite tabloid newspapers, splashed the picture of the former Iraqi President in his underwear on their front pages.

Publication was described as a breach of the Geneva convention by the US military and the then US President, George W Bush, ordered an inquiry into its leak. It was never traced.

However The Independent has been told that a senior Sun executive got approval to publish the photographs from British and American intelligence agencies.

At the time, Graham Dudman, The Sun's managing editor, defended the decision to print the pictures, saying: “He's not been mistreated. He's washing his trousers. This is the modern-day Adolf Hitler. Please don't ask us to feel sorry for him.”

He also disclosed that a sum of money had been paid for them.

The Independent understands that a senior News International employee met the source, a member of the US National Guard, in San Francisco in 2005.

Once he authenticated the photographs, it is thought the London office wired him several thousand dollars which he is said to have paid to the National Guardsman on US soil.

A larger amount was allegedly paid over in the UK via “a specially set up account,” Mr Bryant said.

Mr Bryant – whose phone was hacked by News International – said: “I understand from two well-paced people inside News International that in 2005 The Sun and the New York Post paid a substantial sum to a serving member of the US armed forces in the USA for a photograph of Saddam Hussein.

“And a much larger amount was then paid by a specially-set up account in the UK to that same member of the US armed forces.

“It is difficult to see how those who wrote that story up in the UK and the US and the two editors could possibly pretend that they did not know how that material was obtained how that material was obtained and that there had been criminality involved in securing that photo. For that matter, that laptop where the photograph was kept… was destroyed... to destroy evidence.”

The MP added: “I urge the MSC to provide all the emails from Rupert and James Murdoch to News International staff as a matter of urgency…in particular to the photo of Saddam other otherwise people will conclude in this country, that News International are still refusing to co-operate with the police.”

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Looks like this has a chance of blowing up in the states after all. They always find a lower low to steep to.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Looks like this has a chance of blowing up in the states after all. They always find a lower low to steep to.

And if you are following my Twitter timeline it seems pretty clear it's known who set up the bank account, when, and where it was addressed, and Barclays will give that information up to the US authorities if asked to do so. Then it's poopypants time at News Corp.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Brown Moses posted:

And if you are following my Twitter timeline it seems pretty clear it's known who set up the bank account, when, and where it was addressed, and Barclays will give that information up to the US authorities if asked to do so. Then it's poopypants time at News Corp.

I can only hope that the poo poo hits the fan in the US. I so want to see how Fox News would spin this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DarkSol posted:

I can only hope that the poo poo hits the fan in the US. I so want to see how Fox News would spin this.

Saddam's a tyrant/ Look at these liberals mad that the mighty News Corp humbled a Tyrant.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Actually looking forward to stories carrying titles like "Saddam's Revenge: Return of the Pants" or "Toppled Tyrant Takes Tabloid To Task".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I didn't have chance to post this last night, but it's an essential read on the Saddam's Pants Saga

quote:

Rupert Murdoch’s Saddam Hussein Photo Scandal Heats Up

In an explosive intervention during a British House of Commons debate about the Leveson proposals for press reform, the campaigning Labour M.P., Chris Bryant, added more details of the allegations first broached by The Daily Beast two weeks ago that Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. paid U.S. service personnel for photos of Saddam Hussein in his underpants while the former Iraqi dictator was being held in American custody in the mid-2000s. Bryant suggested there were “worrying developments” that News Corp. was no longer cooperating with police inquiries. “I urge the [News Corp. Management and Standards Committee] to provide all the emails from Rupert and James Murdoch to News International staff as a matter of urgency … in particular to the photo of Saddam. Otherwise, people will conclude in this country that News International is still refusing to cooperate with the police.”

News Corp. declined to comment on the allegations, but in July, the deputy assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Sue Akers, testified to the Leveson Inquiry that News Corp.’s Management and Standards Committee had been cooperating with police since a brief pause in May.

Bryant’s allegations cover the weeks leading up to May 20, 2005, when two Murdoch-owned tabloids, The Sun and the New York Post, ran front-page pictures of a scantily clad Hussein. On the inside pages, the papers included more photos of the former Iraqi leader in U.S. captivity. According to Fox News, the Multinational Forces spokeswoman in Baghdad said the images could have been taken between January and April 2004.

At the time The Sun’s then-managing editor, Graham Dudman, admitted that his newspaper paid “a small sum” for the photos. Dudman would not elaborate “except to say it was more than £500, which is about $900.” Scotland Yard detectives arrested Dudman in January of this year on suspicion of making corrupt payments involving British officials. He has yet to be charged with any criminal offense in the U.K. The allegation that News Corp. might have paid off a U.S. official was covered extensively in the British press.

Although a spokeswoman for the corporation called The Daily Beast story a “lame attempt to regurgitate old news,” the Hussein photos were published in many outlets and The Sun was reported to be demanding $40,000 for republication. The Telegraph alleged that the go-between sent to verify and negotiate a purchase of the pictures was a photographer at The Sun, Britain’s best-selling daily tabloid.
A spokesman for News Corp. told The Telegraph that the issue was widely reported on at the time, adding, “We didn’t believe then, and certainly don’t believe now, that it was wrong to acquire and publish newsworthy photographs of a notorious war criminal.”

Claiming that he had the information from “two News International insiders” Bryant alleged that a “substantial sum” was paid to the U.S. official on American soil and “a much larger sum” to the same source in the Britain.

Given the amount of the transaction, Bryant told Parliament: “It’s impossible to see how both editors of both The Sun and New York Post were not aware of the criminality.” Bryant also alleged that a laptop with data about the photo was destroyed, and called upon Rupert Murdoch to cooperate with police inquiries on the matter.

Sources close to the story told The Daily Beast that a British bank account was allegedly set up in the name of the U.S. official, but using the home address of a staff member at The Sun. The figure deposited into this account is alleged to have been in excess of a $100,000. It is also alleged a senior editor at The Sun cleared publication of the Saddam photos in advance with both British and U.S. intelligence services, apparently without the White House’s consent.

At the time, President George W. Bush was reported to be upset about the leak in the context of the Abu Ghraib revelations and ongoing Iraqi insurgency. “There will be a thorough investigation into this instance,” deputy White House spokesman Trent Duffy told The New York Times. “[The president] wants to get to the bottom of it immediately.”

Most the evidence of allegedly corrupt payments by tabloids to British officials, which prompted more than 50 arrests in Scotland Yard’s Operation Elveden, came from a database of some 350 million News International emails held by the Management and Standards Committee, as part of News Corp.’s compliance with the Department of Justice investigation of possible offenses under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

According the Mike Koehler, a law professor at Southern Illinois University and author of the website FCPA Professor, the payments for the Hussein photos would definitely attract the attention of the Securities and Exchange Commission, already involved in checking News Corp.’s payments systems and audit trails. In the U.K, because of laws protecting journalists’ sources, this is managed by independent lawyers, but Koehler is “not aware of any formal prohibition on the SEC’s ability (or the DOJ’s) to gather evidence relevant to an investigation.”

However, American investigators will most likely still expect News Corp. cooperation. “The DOJ or SEC will rely on the company’s lawyers providing it relevant information and documents,” Koehler told The Daily Beast.
The Sun’s editor in 2005, Rebekah Brooks, appeared to be oblivious to the illegality of paying public officials for stories when she appeared before a House of Commons Select committee a couple of years prior.

However, in his verbal evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics, Rupert Murdoch, chair, CEO, and head of corporate governance for News Corp., told Lord Justice Leveson under oath in May, “I believe that paying police officers for information is wrong.”

Neither representatives from the FBI nor News Corp. responded to The Daily Beast’s requests for comment on the fresh revelations at the time of publication.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My regular contributor has put together an interesting new post on John Yates and Operation Varec, highly detailed and informative stuff as usual.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is Dame Elizabeth's passing worthy of this thread? I was almost expecting to have headlines read "Kicked down stairs out of frustration."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WebDog posted:

Is Dame Elizabeth's passing worthy of this thread? I was almost expecting to have headlines read "Kicked down stairs out of frustration."

Wow, that's basically the poo poo cherry on top of the poo poo sundae for Murdoch unless he gets diagnosed with Prostate cancer by year's end.

Your UK media empire gets poo poo on from every direction to the point where even the most tory of tories won't defend you by name so much as beg not to be regulated for all the heinous poo poo you've done, your US media empire takes a bit of a ratings bath and the fact that your organization bribed a US official for a picture of Saddam in his whiteys is out in the wild and likely getting an investigation going, your right-hand lady and her husband go to jail, your preferred PM is sweating way more than usual, and your mom drops dead.

e:

quote:

Sources close to the story told The Daily Beast that a British bank account was allegedly set up in the name of the U.S. official, but using the home address of a staff member at The Sun. The figure deposited into this account is alleged to have been in excess of a $100,000.

I am fairly sure this runs afoul of AML laws considering the amount and the fact that the Sun staffer's home address was used as concealment and not for any reasonable business purpose. At least, I know that kind of thing would raise eyebrows in my line of work (AML/CTF analyst for a very big company) here in the US, but I know EU rules pretty much demand there be a crime involved to a certain extent with the money movement. I imagine bribery of a public official would fit the bill, but we have our overseas offices handle reporting to CSSF/BOE/etc.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 6, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Saddam's a tyrant/ Look at these liberals mad that the mighty News Corp humbled a Tyrant.

Yes, but in the wake of what the US military has done to Bradley Manning over the leaked cables to Wikileaks, who as far as we know never took a dime for his information, this serviceman took money for classified photos of Saddam. The guilty party at least deserves 900 days in solitary confinement like they've done to Manning.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I missed this, but there was another Operation Tuleta arrest

quote:

Operation Tuleta: Man questioned in privacy breach probe

A 55-year-old man has been questioned as part of a police inquiry into alleged breaches of privacy.

The Metropolitan Police said the man was arrested at his home in East Sussex on Tuesday and later bailed.

He is the 19th person to be arrested as part of Operation Tuleta, the Met's probe into the alleged illegal hacking of computers and mobile phones.

Police added his arrest was not directly linked to any news group or the activities of journalists.

The 55-year old was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit offences under Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and Sections 1 and 2 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Operation Tuleta is being run alongside two other investigations into hacking and corruption.

Operation Weeting is looking at alleged phone hacking, and Operation Elveden is an inquiry into claims of corrupt payments to public officials.

One thing I've heard about the bank account set up for the purchase of the Saddam photos is it's known which name it was used, and the address used, so it shouldn't be hard to find the account at all.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Any able to confirm reports that Max Clifford has been arrested?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Brown Moses posted:

Well Guido's published a story but funnily enough everyone else is a bit wary about naming people involved at the moment!

http://order-order.com/2012/12/06/media-guido-exclusive-max-clifford-arrested/

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

On the BBC now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20627765

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

It looks like Leveson's proposals have been accepted in almost their entirety by newspaper editors, with the (obvious) exception of the statutory parts, and the Hunt-Black proposals are dead. Seems now they are waiting to see if they can come up with something that isn't statutory to back up regulation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/05/newspaper-editors-sign-up-leveson

quote:

National newspaper editors signed up to implement all Lord Justice Leveson's non-statutory recommendations at a breakfast summit in central London, with those present effectively agreeing to kill off the Hunt-Black plan as a template for reform.

The editor of every significant Fleet Street title signed up to 40 of Leveson's first 47 recommendations – paving the way for the creation of an independent regulator with powers to levy fines of up to £1m and operating a low-cost tribunal system to handle libel and privacy claims.

The editors did not sign up to seven recommendations that proposed a role for Ofcom or some other statutory body in auditing the work of the regulator, agreeing to wait to see what non-statutory proposals Downing Street would have to offer in the coming days.

There were bacon rolls and granola with yoghurt on the table at the meeting at a restaurant in central London. It was chaired by the editor of the Times, James Harding.

Those attending included Paul Dacre, the Daily Mail editor-in-chief, who was absent from Tuesday's editors' meeting at No 10. Dawn Neesom, the editor of the Daily Star, was one of only two women around the table – she had been represented at Downing Street by her publisher's editorial director the day before.

Lord Hunt, the chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, will continue his work in setting up the new regulator and liaising with politicians. But it is understood he will be asked to work to the Leveson proposals agreed by the editors, rather than the old Hunt-Black framework. Hunt will no longer appoint the chair of the appointments panel which will chose the chair and board of the new regulator.

Editors also agreed to wait for Oliver Letwin, David Cameron's policy-fixer, to come back with proposals on how to toughen and support the planned new regulator without recourse to statute. However, it was unclear what would happen if newspapers deemed the Letwin plan to be unattractive.

On Tuesday, at a meeting briefly attended by the prime minister at No 10, Letwin told the editors that he would introduce proposals for a non-statutory "verification body" that would take on the role Leveson proposed for Ofcom in certifying the work of the revamped press watchdog. He also said he would introduce incentives that allowed judges to favour publications signed up to the body, and ensure that the proposed tribunal had the status of a court.

Other newspaper editors present included Alan Rusbridger from the Guardian, Dominic Mohan from the Sun, Tony Gallagher from the Daily Telegraph, Lloyd Embley from the Mirror, Lionel Barber from the Financial Times, and Sarah Sands from the Evening Standard. Fraser Nelson from the Spectator was also present.

Offering his own summary on Twitter, Andrew Neil, the former Sunday Times editor, BBC presenter and chairman of the Spectator, said: "Editors meet. Hunt-Black dead. Leveson principles accepted in entirety. Issue of who verifies remains unresolved, if not statute."

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
edit: wrong thread, sorry

edit2: actually it kind of fits here too: I thought Max Clifford had been arrested under something like Operation Tuleta or some other press corruption thing, I didn't expect that at all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Brown Moses posted:

There's actually a lot of Freemasonary links involved, but most people are avoiding it because it makes you sound loopy even bringing the subject up.

So how is this relevant to the story? I didn't see any mention besides this, forgive me if I missed it in the thread.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Snowy posted:

So how is this relevant to the story? I didn't see any mention besides this, forgive me if I missed it in the thread.

I'm struggling to remember my thought process when I posted that 3 months ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is it anything more than how wealthy people tend to become freemasons and cover their lodge brothers' asses when they can?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

The only link to freemasons that I recall in this whole thing is via Jonathan Rees:

The Guardian posted:

Years ago, Jonathan Rees became a freemason. According to journalists and investigators who worked with him, he then exploited his link with the lodges to meet masonic police officers who illegally sold him information which he peddled to Fleet Street.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ray Adams was reportedly a member at that same lodge, and allegedly helped scupper one of the earlier investigations into Daniel Morgan's murder. Apparently thr father of one of the Stephen Lawrence suspects was a member of that lodge, and Adams apparently also scuppered that investigation as well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Popbitch today pointed out the hacking side-effect of the Max Clifford arrest: the police are scouring his computers and e-mails for evidence.

"And if rumours around News Int are to be believed - this is just the start of Max news. Think of all those clients Max has faithfully represented, and all the information he was privy to. Well, what if some of it ended up on the pages of the News of The World, without their knowledge, eh? Sounds like we might be about to find out..."

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Is it anything more than how wealthy people tend to become freemasons and cover their lodge brothers' asses when they can?

It's a little more formal than that apparently...

"You must conceal all the crimes of your brother Masons, except murder and treason, and these only at your own option, and should you be summoned as a witness against a brother Mason be always sure to shield him. Prevaricate [falsify], don't tell the whole truth in his case, keep his secrets, forget the most important points. It may be perjury to do this, it is true, but you're keeping your obligations, and remember if you live up to your obligation strictly, you'll be free from sin."

(Edmond Ronayne, "Masonic Handbook," page 183)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Plavski posted:

Popbitch today pointed out the hacking side-effect of the Max Clifford arrest: the police are scouring his computers and e-mails for evidence.

"And if rumours around News Int are to be believed - this is just the start of Max news. Think of all those clients Max has faithfully represented, and all the information he was privy to. Well, what if some of it ended up on the pages of the News of The World, without their knowledge, eh? Sounds like we might be about to find out..."

Supposedly he was up to something that would be of interest to Operation Tuleta...

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Brown Moses posted:

Supposedly he was up to something that would be of interest to Operation Tuleta...

Goddamn, this feeling must be like the feeling of those closely watching Watergate.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Larry_Mullet posted:

It's a little more formal than that apparently...

"You must conceal all the crimes of your brother Masons, except murder and treason, and these only at your own option, and should you be summoned as a witness against a brother Mason be always sure to shield him. Prevaricate [falsify], don't tell the whole truth in his case, keep his secrets, forget the most important points. It may be perjury to do this, it is true, but you're keeping your obligations, and remember if you live up to your obligation strictly, you'll be free from sin."

(Edmond Ronayne, "Masonic Handbook," page 183)

Completely unrelated to Hackgate, but how on Earth can you hold the notion that swearing on the Bible to tell the (whole/nothing but the) truth, then lying while under oath keeps you in God's good graces?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wouldn't really take Larry 'pyramid' Mullet's word about conspiracy type stuff as gospel.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Completely unrelated to Hackgate, but how on Earth can you hold the notion that swearing on the Bible to tell the (whole/nothing but the) truth, then lying while under oath keeps you in God's good graces?
A quick google search on that quote brings up this page, first bullet point explains it's nonsense. It's a quote from some random book from 1917 whose author wrote another book comparing freemasonry with Baal worship.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I don't get the whole "swearing on the Bible" thing at all.

Matthew Chapter 5 posted:

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’
34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;
35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.
36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Full :tinfoil:

The DJs who called the Nurse were Australian, and with some cursory research it looks like their parent is connected with Fox.

She wasn't pranked, maybe she was leaking information for money :britain:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8

I think complete inability to think critically is more the issue.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm not a Mason but I have all my grandfather who was a Mason's old lodge poo poo like his apron and his books. I haven't read all of them cover to cover or anything, but that sounds like made up anti-Masonic bullshit.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

McDowell posted:

Full :tinfoil:

The DJs who called the Nurse were Australian, and with some cursory research it looks like their parent is connected with Fox.

She wasn't pranked, maybe she was leaking information for money :britain:

Sounds like that prank had an awful lot in common with blagging.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Brown Moses posted:

I seem to remember people being quite skeptical of the process. Turns out it's not as hard as some had imagined.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah but didn't they pretend to be The Queen and Prince Phillip?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

McDowell posted:

Yeah but didn't they pretend to be The Queen and Prince Phillip?

Does it matter who they were pretending to be? Didn't some newspaper get someone to impersonate Gordon Brown on the phone to his bank to try and obtain his financial details for a story?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yes, they pretended to be people with the right to know, and got information out of it, therefore blagging.
Didn't someone pretend to be Gordon Brown to get information from his bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Plavski posted:

Oh yes, the people he provided services for are hosed. In the meantime this is going to be super awkward;

• Locked thread