Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Gonna start Dark Souls for the first time tonight. Pretty good amount of information on the wiki, is there any other tidbits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Gonna start Dark Souls for the first time tonight. Pretty good amount of information on the wiki, is there any other tidbits?

Spend souls as soon as you can, don't hoard them. Upgrade weapons and armor rather then level your character.

Humanity can be used to kindle a bonfire to give you 10 flasks rather then 5.

Talk to everyone as much as possible, especially after major events. The game does not hold your hand or explain anything you have to dig into every crevice and alcove to suss out the lore of the game world.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Going to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution soon. Anything to add on top of the wiki's page?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Blast Fantasto posted:

To parry, you must catch the fast-moving enemy weapon coming towards you with the start of your shield swing animation. Not when they're winding up, not when they're bashing you with their shield, not when they're vulnerable after a miss, but on the split-second when they've committed their bodyweight to the blow and the weapon is whistling through the air. This works any pretty much any human/human+ sized target, even the huge swords of the tall knights can be slapped away with a tiny dented buckler. Undead soldiers (you meet one on the Asylum 2nd floor) have very telegraphed attacks and make great practice targets.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

theshim posted:

Going to start Deus Ex: Human Revolution soon. Anything to add on top of the wiki's page?

It's not an open world, the skills don't allow you to create your own path but rather let you take advantage of one of the two or three pre-designed mission paths, so all lifting/jumping skills are almost useless. If you manage to get somewhere they didn't want you to go by using your jump, it'll just automatically kill you, so that's fun. Shops are nearly bare but with some work you can horde more than you need of most stuff. There are vents in every single mission. The boss fights are extremely dumb but make sure you have some explosives/heavy weapons skills no matter what you think your build is. There's lots of voice acting and some interesting missions, but no significant choices--play it as a cover stealth-shooter and ignore anything that doesn't have clear combat applications when leveling up. I thought it was a stylish bad game, but many people really enjoyed it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The lifting & jumping type skills are great if you want to avoid combat and go for a non-lethal / ghosting approach. That approach also tends to give better rewards and is more fun (YMMV).

If you ignore things without a clear combat application then you ignore hacking or the social augment, and I don't quite see why you'd want to; hacking is fun and very useful, and the conversation stuff is quite neat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Smerdyakov posted:

It's not an open world, the skills don't allow you to create your own path but rather let you take advantage of one of the two or three pre-designed mission paths, so all lifting/jumping skills are almost useless. If you manage to get somewhere they didn't want you to go by using your jump, it'll just automatically kill you, so that's fun. Shops are nearly bare but with some work you can horde more than you need of most stuff. There are vents in every single mission. The boss fights are extremely dumb but make sure you have some explosives/heavy weapons skills no matter what you think your build is. There's lots of voice acting and some interesting missions, but no significant choices--play it as a cover stealth-shooter and ignore anything that doesn't have clear combat applications when leveling up. I thought it was a stylish bad game, but many people really enjoyed it.
This advice is basically a TL;DR for "how to turn DX:HR into another boring linear shooter". Because, for good or ill, when you remove the stealth, that's what it is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

theshim posted:

The game strongly incentivizes a stealthy nonlethal approach, so if you feel like completely breaking it, do that and have more Praxis points than you know what to do with.

Smerdyakov posted:

I thought it was a stylish bad game, but many people really enjoyed it.

I liked it for what it was but it was pretty disappointing as a Deus Ex game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Human Revolution is the successor to Invisible War, not to Deus Ex 1. It's a really good game though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

theshim posted:

The wiki covers pretty much everything, but here's a few extra tidbits...

There's exactly one point in the game where you need to hurry: at the start of the game, when you need to meet Sarif on the helipad, and then infiltrate the building. If you take too long, the hostages die (although that's not a fail.)

Hacking is a good source of XP. However, the only use for XP is buying upgrades, so if you buy hacking upgrades just to get XP, you're gimping yourself in the long run.

The punch-through-walls aug gets you a praxis kit late in the first episode, so it's essentially free.

Hacked a turret? Have super strength? Pick the turret up and carry it with you!

Easter eggs: go into the ladies restroom before first talking to Pritchard. Listen to the music in the break room of the Typhoon factory. Let the credits finish at the end.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's not really for the "first time", but can someone give me some basic advice on Dishonored before I put it through a wall? I'm not very far into the game (the Distillery), but I'm having a really hard time making any progress that doesn't end in either me killing everyone in the area, or getting killed in two shots by fire breathing assholes.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

GloomMouse posted:

Anyone played Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System and know what Jobs to pick? I'm pretty familiar with the original version, and I'm aware of a couple of changes regarding item locations (Nihopaloa for example), so I just don't want to end up without an important Technik/Magick. I'll be playing it on PCSX2 for the save-states and graphical boost, so I could use a save editor if I gently caress up, but I'd rather not have to.

I had no trouble recently getting through the game with just a Breaker, Black Mage, and Monk. I had a pocket White Mage for the bonus endgame bosses, but even then it wasn't 100% necessary. You should be fine picking what you feel like playing as unless you're trying to abuse Nihopalaoa (reverses Remedy on monsters) or use gimmicky builds.

voltron lion force covered a good chunk of it, but I will offer some advice:

-Avoid Time Mages and Machinists -- they are bad. Ironically both of those are your source of Haste/Hastega outside of gear or items.

-Samurais can abuse Genji Gear better than most jobs. The Genji set is now rebalanced.

-Decoy + Aegis Shield is a nice combo against tougher mobs and should be used for most boss encounters.

-There's some new endgame weapons for most classes to help balance things.

-Bravery and Faith should be a priority for endgame next to Haste & Bubble.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gynovore posted:

There's exactly one point in the game where you need to hurry: at the start of the game, when you need to meet Sarif on the helipad, and then infiltrate the building. If you take too long, the hostages die (although that's not a fail.)
There's at least a second one later on: when your pilot is under attack. You CAN save her, it's not a scripted death.

(Also I fixed the spoiler in your quote because otherwise it makes no sense.)

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you join us in the Dark Souls threads there is equal risk of good advice, bad advice, spoilers, and fake spoilers. You will never know because we cannot be trusted.

This also applies to the game world itself.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not really for the "first time", but can someone give me some basic advice on Dishonored before I put it through a wall? I'm not very far into the game (the Distillery), but I'm having a really hard time making any progress that doesn't end in either me killing everyone in the area, or getting killed in two shots by fire breathing assholes.

If you get discovered walk around a corner and blink away out of sight, and eventually they'll stop looking for you. I forget if you have to upgrade Dark Vision to see where people are looking, but that's a helpful feature. You can also use the Possession power to get out of bad situations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not really for the "first time", but can someone give me some basic advice on Dishonored.
Blink is basically your swiss army knife of dickery. It removes much of the slowness of stealth games by allowing you to blink right behind someone, subdude them, then carry their body and blink away to safety.

Possession is another funky way to teleport around the place. You basically turn into a rat/hagfish/hound and reemerge when you break the spell. Rats can travel through the little grates in the walls so you can easily scoot around most levels undetected.

Dark Vision II can show any lootable items in bright green. If you do a reasonable job of clearing out each level of loot you'll end up being able to buy every upgrade.

Sleep darts can be upgraded to a max of 10 and the combat upgrades allows for instant snoozing.

There is no way to silently subdue Tallboys, you have to flat out avoid them if you're going for an ultra stealth play through.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's absolutely nothing you should know before you play it :colbert:. The first playthrough is magical, don't spoil it

Can I ask for some Guild Wars 2 tips here, or should I take it to the subforum? I've played WoW and GW1, but this seems very different.

Samunwise
Mar 18, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

It wasn't immediately apparent to a lot of people it seems, so this might help: look up. Take a rooftop/chandelier/top of a bookcase approach if you can, npcs don't really look above themselves at all. You can prettymuch do the majority of the first two levels without reaching ground level except to go through the occasional door, just blink from rooftop to rooftop, which means you also stand an extremely low chance of being spotted. Also drop-assassinations from decent height are baller.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NihilCredo posted:

(Also I fixed the spoiler in your quote because otherwise it makes no sense.)
No, you!

(Seriously though, you need to get into the Helicopter within 15 minutes to avoid having the hostages die. The way you've phrased it, it sounds like you need to hurry up when inside the facility itself which is false.)

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

Can I ask for some Guild Wars 2 tips here, or should I take it to the subforum? I've played WoW and GW1, but this seems very different.
I can give you some basic stuff to get you started.

* GW2 opperates on the assumption that you will read what it tells you. Tooltips, NPC dialogue, event text... if you just power on through thinking "blabla tutorial" you'll end up confusing yourself more than you have to.
* Always move. Learn to read tells for big attacks by watching mob animations. Learn to dodge. Attacks only connect if the attacking models weapon (or the arrow) intersect with the target. You can sidestep arrows even without dodging (though it's much easier if you dodge).
* Dynamic Events show up as orange circles on your map and minimap when you get close enough. They can happen pretty much anywhere, and some of the cooler ones are off the beaten path. Dynamic Events are by far the best source of XP and the only source of Karma. Don't be afraid to spend Karma, you get more as you level up.
* Talking to named NPCs will sometimes display an event that is further away than would normally be visible to you. Pay attention to NPCs who try to get your attention, but even those that don't speak up will sometimes direct you towards something if you talk to them.
* Heart NPCs (aka Renown Hearts) can be completed once per character. Once they fill up, the NPC turns into a Karma vendor that will usually sell you useful gear for Karma. Participating in Events near a Heart will also contribute towards filling the Heart.
* You unlock weaponskills by scoring kills using that weapon. It's a good idea to use the first 10 levels to unlocking most of your weapon skills, to get a feel for the different ways to play a profession. Weapon vendors in the cities usually sell some cheap ones, if you can't find the right type. Check your Hero pane for which ones you can use. The Black Lion Trading Post (aka TP) is also a good source of cheap blue gear. The TP can be accessed anywhere from the upper left menu.
* Gear quality goes Grey (vendor junk) -> White (junk unless you have nothing else to put in a slot) -> Blue -> Green -> Yellow -> Orange. You won't see Green until around level 15, and Yellow start to drop around level 30 or so.
* In your inventory, the Right-Click menu has a lot of options. Deposit and Deposit Collectible will send the items to your bank from anywhere. You have to go to the Bank (found in the city or via any crafting station) to retrieve it. The cog in the upper right corner of your inventory also has a "Deposit All Collectibles" to send it all there in a single click.
* You can sell and buy things on the Trading Post from anywhere, but you have to go to the Trading Post NPC in town to pick up the cash from sales or the items you bought.
* As soon as you have a bit of copper, find a merchant that sells gathering tools and buy a sickle, an axe and a pick. Even if you don't want to craft, gathering mats gives you about 3 kills worth of XP per node. Be sure to equip them.
* Finally, arguably GW2s best feature IMO: There is no such thing as tagging. Go ahead and grab any harvesting node you see and help kill any mobs you come across. Everyone will get a full share of the spoils no matter how many players gang up on that level 1 bandit (assuming all manage to get a hit in).

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 4, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

theshim posted:

Go with the Augs that you think are cool/interesting. That way, the story and the gameplay will fit what you like. I liked the jumping and strengths augs, just because they meant a non-lethal solution presented itself to most problems. Even if you don't have any combat augs, the bossfights aren't difficult.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GhostBoy posted:

* Always move. Learn to read tells for big attacks by watching mob animations. Learn to dodge. Attacks only connect if the attacking models weapon (or the arrow) intersect with the target. You can sidestep arrows even without dodging (though it's much easier if you dodge).

As a corollary to this, dodging does not have to physically evade the attack. It just gives you a bunch of invincibility frames. As such, dodge to get a better position on the enemy, even if that means moving closer.

You will be downleveled when you are in zones that you are too high level for. This is meant to make things constantly a challenge, but in reality, you have equipment and traits to make you much more powerful, but still, be mindful of your HP.

Underwater combat is terrible for anyone besides an Engineer. Yes, those krait do have a seemingly infinite aggro range.

Explore the world. It's probably the best thing about the game, and it's full of little secrets. Lion's Arch has 3 jumping puzzles, see if you can find them!

Also, there's a new tier, pink/Ascended, that is below orange/Legendary, but power wise they are equivalent. Unfortunately, acquiring Legendary items pretty much becomes another day job and Ascended gear isn't that fun to grind for either. Exotics (Yellow) used to be equivalent to Legendary, but then Anet lost their design documents or something. People are very bitter about this.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Colon V posted:

This advice is basically a TL;DR for "how to turn DX:HR into another boring linear shooter". Because, for good or ill, when you remove the stealth, that's what it is.

Totally agree. But I'm not the one who made melee takedowns use up a very finite resource, nor did I put in a boss fight where you have to use a rocket launcher and grenades. I was so shocked I actually went to the FAQ to see if there was a diplomatic or stealth option I'd missed. Nope! It was like they went back and said "Hey, remember in Deus Ex how you could avoid that fight with Gunther by learning his override and how cool that was? Well, that was a bug, and shouldn't have been in the game."

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Smerdyakov posted:

Totally agree. But I'm not the one who made melee takedowns use up a very finite resource, nor did I put in a boss fight where you have to use a rocket launcher and grenades.

Neither of those things are true, just so you know.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, you can literally beat the first boss (and I think a few other ones?) by just spamming the stun gun at them.

Also the battery system is designed in a retarded way, but you can melee takedown forever by just using the last cell, which always recharges. Which brings me to an actual tip: if you use powered abilities at all, always buy the "faster recharge" upgrades, but NEVER buy the "more energy cells" upgrades, since those are effectively useless when you can eat jars of mayonnaise at instant speed.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

theshim posted:

Although not an early gameplay thing, you will be given a sidequest at some point suggesting that you upgrade your chip or something. DO NOT DO IT. It makes a later boss much harder. I had to YouTube cheap strategies on how to beat the boss and even still it took a while for it to work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, you can literally beat the first boss (and I think a few other ones?) by just spamming the stun gun at them.
Yes. I did a legitimate non-lethal runthrough of the entire game. I believe I counted something like 85 stun gun shots when taking down one of the later bosses, but it absolutely can be done. And it is hilarious every time, because of course the cutscenes "know" you gunned them down, so seeing the disparity between what you just did and what happens to them is marvelous.

So yes, while any advice about needing non-lethal skills is technically false, it might be the only part of the game that is not more fun to play non-lethal, so there is that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smerdyakov posted:

Totally agree. But I'm not the one who made melee takedowns use up a very finite resource, nor did I put in a boss fight where you have to use a rocket launcher and grenades. I was so shocked I actually went to the FAQ to see if there was a diplomatic or stealth option I'd missed. Nope! It was like they went back and said "Hey, remember in Deus Ex how you could avoid that fight with Gunther by learning his override and how cool that was? Well, that was a bug, and shouldn't have been in the game."

:eng101: Actually, the dev team admitted to farming out the boss fights to another studio due to time constraints. It's why they're generally so bad compared to the rest of the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

OilSlick posted:

Although not an early gameplay thing, you will be given a sidequest at some point suggesting that you upgrade your chip or something.

I hate that people post this tip.

Just do whatever, there's no "right" way to handle that situation.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Can I get some tips on Might and Magic 3? I'm struggling to build up an army anything before the 15 turn mark. I seem to be focused entirely on upping my town hall to get a lot of gold but it takes forever to get some troops out the door. By that time, the enemy is just walking over me as I have 5 heroes but only 1 that can fight with an army and 4 with lovely spells.

Also, where do I buy spellbooks?

Lotsa tips please! This game is ~amazing~.

edit: just discovered beforeiplay. Checking that out.

Pr0phecy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 5, 2012

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hate that people post this tip.

Just do whatever, there's no "right" way to handle that situation.

I really, really appreciated this tip when I played the game. There are two choices and picking the wrong one means an already lovely and frustrating boss battle gets even more frustrating. I barely had the motivation for finish that fight even after I made the right (no scare quotes, the other choice is clearly wrong) choice.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pr0phecy posted:

Can I get some tips on Might and Magic 3? I'm struggling to build up an army anything before the 15 turn mark. I seem to be focused entirely on upping my town hall to get a lot of gold but it takes forever to get some troops out the door. By that time, the enemy is just walking over me as I have 5 heroes but only 1 that can fight with an army and 4 with lovely spells.

Also, where do I buy spellbooks?

I assume you mean Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Beforeiplay has a shitload of information here, but the really important points are:

Have ONE hero, preferably with Logistics, do all your fighting.

The Castle, Tower, and Conflux towns are great. (Conflux requires the expansion). Necropolis is good but you need to know how to play it. Inferno is a bit weak, and Fortress blows.

If you're playing against a person, auto-fight all battles again neutral mobs, or else the game will take way too long.

Start with Solmyr to break the game. He starts the game knowing Chain Lightning, and does extra damage with it as he levels up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

mystery at hog island posted:

I really, really appreciated this tip when I played the game. There are two choices and picking the wrong one means an already lovely and frustrating boss battle gets even more frustrating. I barely had the motivation for finish that fight even after I made the right (no scare quotes, the other choice is clearly wrong) choice.

I chose the "wrong" one, and I didn't find it too hard.

The reason I don't like people giving that suggestion is that it ends up being "play the story this way" as much as it as a gameplay tip. It's not like saying "Aug X is really useful even if it doesn't appear to be", the choice is fairly central to the whole drat plot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I chose the "wrong" one, and I didn't find it too hard.

The reason I don't like people giving that suggestion is that it ends up being "play the story this way" as much as it as a gameplay tip. It's not like saying "Aug X is really useful even if it doesn't appear to be", the choice is fairly central to the whole drat plot.

DXHR is in general pretty blatant about there being a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do things, like giving you much greater rewards for stealthy+nonlethal gameplay than anything else. There are some games where "there's no right way to do it" but DXHR isn't one of them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

DXHR is in general pretty blatant about there being a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do things, like giving you much greater rewards for stealthy+nonlethal gameplay than anything else. There are some games where "there's no right way to do it" but DXHR isn't one of them.

That section would be better if there was no choice and you were forced to get the "upgrade".

Anyway, the game gives you enough clues as to what is going on, if you can't work it out (or choose to do it anyway), you should get the appropriate result.

Gay Atheist
Feb 15, 2005

With the recent release of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, I thought I'd share some of my tips with new players. This is a really great game, seriously, they don't make games this good anymore, this game is basically like treasure. If you haven't gone through it before now's your chance to see it without muddling through installing mods. You can even play it on your ipad!

-Character Creation-

It's the basic 6 stat system you see in a lot of other CRPGS, strength affects your melee damage and carry weight, agility for ranged weapons, intelligence for mage spells, etc. You should start with at least an 18 in your class' primary stat, maybe 19 if the race you chose has a +1 bonus to it. Constitution is important for everyone since it dictates the amount of hit points you get, but it's not the go-to stat. Don't neglect Charisma, though, since you'll be leading your band of adventurers, and charisma affects NPC reactions and store prices.

All the classes are available to choose from, along with the subclass kits from BG2. They're all viable, you can't gimp yourself like in, say, Planescape: Torment by choosing the wrong stats and class, though some classes (like monk) will feel very underpowered in BG1 but go on to kick unbelievable amounts of rear end in BG2 while kits like Shapeshifter are just the opposite (if you think you'll import your BGEE character to BG2EE when it comes out, of course!) There's plenty of recruitable characters to pick up to fill in any weaknesses in your party, though you'll generally want a well-rounded group with frontline melee fighters, an arcane spellcaster, a cleric for healing spells, group buffs, and to turn undead, and at least one character with thieving skills.

I recommend not making the protagonist a straight-up thief, since like the first thing that happens is Imoen joins up. She's a single-class thief, with pretty decent stats too, and she becomes very important to the plot later on, so she's worth keeping around.

Get Minsc. For the same reason everyone tells you to get Wrex in Mass Effect, you need Minsc. You'll find him in Nashkel, where he'll ask for your help in rescuing his friend from gnolls. You have 10 days to do so, after a few days he'll remind you that you still need to do that, but after the full 10 he'll either leave or attack you.

There are also 3 new characters you can pick up added in the Enhanced Edition. Neera is a half-elf wizard with the Wild Mage kit, she has decent stats and some fun spells exclusive to the kit. You can recruit her in Beregost after saving her from a group of Red Wizards.

Rasaad is a human monk found in a new zone called the Cloud Peaks near Nashkel. He's the only monk in the game, unless you made the protagonist a monk, so he's worth checking out. The zone he's in is pretty neat too.

Dorn Il-Khan is a half-orc blackguard. I haven't run into him yet, but he's an evil-aligned character so I'd pass him up unless you're forming an all-evil party (which I wouldn't recommend for a first playthrough).

-Getting Started-

There's a few sidequests you can do around Candlekeep before setting off. These are:
-Finding Phyldia's lost book
-Returning Firebeard's scroll
-Getting an antidote for Nessa the sick cow
-Buying crossbow bolts for Fuller
-Exterminating rats for Reevor (make sure you check your journal when you get this quest :) )
-Surviving 2 assassination attempts
-Returning Hull's sword

These can give you a comfortable amount of gold to buy the weapons you need from Winthrop to start your journey. When you're done, talk to Gorion on the steps and you're off! Enjoy yourself, there's nothing quite like this game out there, at least until BG2EE comes out! :)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

-Crafting will net you levels very fast. You can only pick two professions at once but you can switch them out for a fee ingame.

-The two "easiest" professions are Cooking and Jewelcrafting.

-World vs World pvp wont get you much xp, you can start it at level 1 but it's for the best if you jump in at around level 10 or 30 (depends on how spergy the person you ask).

-Normal pvp found in the Mists can net you some 5 to 8 slot bags really early on if you're strapped for cash.

-Save your chest keys for world events. They like to gently caress over the community by tossing in most of the good stuff in them and you can screw yourself over at the chance of getting event specific gear.

-Abuse the Trading Post/Auction House for gold. Place custom buy orders and try not to purchase things at price if you can help it.

-Buy gems from the Trading Post Gem Exchange during the week when they are at their lowest. You can make a profit reselling gems during events (alternatively do not buy gems during an event).

-You can teleport freely with the waypoint system. The price of which scales as you level.

-Underwater combat uses its own weapon AND skill bar. Don't forget to set the skill bar.

Hope that helps

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gay Atheist posted:

It's the basic 6 stat system you see in a lot of other CRPGS, strength affects your melee damage and carry weight, agility for ranged weapons, intelligence for mage spells, etc. You should start with at least an 18 in your class' primary stat, maybe 19 if the race you chose has a +1 bonus to it. Constitution is important for everyone since it dictates the amount of hit points you get, but it's not the go-to stat. Don't neglect Charisma, though, since you'll be leading your band of adventurers, and charisma affects NPC reactions and store prices.

To expand on this, Constitution's only useful up to 16 for anyone other than Fighters and Paladins. The HP bonus is capped there for everyone else. Dexterity is extremely important for everyone, there's no good reason not to have it up at 18. Charisma's nice to have, although you can use NPCs that have a decent CHA to buy things and still get the benefit. Wisdom and Intelligence are more or less a dump stat for non-spellcasters and Strength's a dump stat for casters. Don't worry too much if you think your stats are sub-optimal, there are items that can add to each of them and honestly the benefit's aren't that big of a deal anyway.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Hey I haven't played much zelda so i'm starting with a link to the past any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gay Atheist posted:

you can't gimp yourself like in, say, Planescape: Torment by choosing the wrong stats and class,
?

One of us doesn't remember PS:T that well.

(It's you)