Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carpet twine
Sep 9, 2007
lurk less
I have a Numark TT-100 turntable at the pawn shop I run and I was considering picking it up for myself. I know that it's considered a DJ turntable, but it'll work fine for just listening to records as well, shouldn't it? Also, will I need a preamp for it? I know some turntables have them built in. I've been using an Innovative Tech all-in-one unit that I picked up dirt cheap and it's just not cutting it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT
Joyful Noise just posted a Holiday SnowFlexi by Kishi Bashi: https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/kishi-bashi-holiday-flexi.html

I saw Kishi Bashi opening for of Montreal this year and got 151a at the show. The SnowFlexi was an instant buy for me + the proceeds go to charity.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

carpet twine posted:

I have a Numark TT-100 turntable at the pawn shop I run and I was considering picking it up for myself. I know that it's considered a DJ turntable, but it'll work fine for just listening to records as well, shouldn't it? Also, will I need a preamp for it? I know some turntables have them built in. I've been using an Innovative Tech all-in-one unit that I picked up dirt cheap and it's just not cutting it anymore.

I'm using a DJ turntable from a Numark "dj in a box" deal I picked up back in 2000. It still works just fine but I did need a pre-amp. I think most DJ tables require a pre-amp because normally, you'd run them into a mixer that had a built in pre-amp that your receiver or stereo probably doesn't have.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Cosmic Horror posted:

Joyful Noise just posted a Holiday SnowFlexi by Kishi Bashi: https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/kishi-bashi-holiday-flexi.html

I saw Kishi Bashi opening for of Montreal this year and got 151a at the show. The SnowFlexi was an instant buy for me + the proceeds go to charity.

I'd never heard of Kishi Bashi before seeing this, but I couldn't live without it. drat you, charity + creative packaging death-combo for stealing my money!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I believe the children are our future.

In which case, we are severely hosed. This one kid I know, he can't even use a toilet. I don't give a poo poo that he's 9 months old. He's the future. The weight is on him, man.

He needs to lift himself onto that toilet by his bootstraps.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Cosmic Horror posted:

Yeah, just bought mine, and one for a friend who loves Kishi Bashi. Also gave me an excuse to get the Paralytic Stalks cassette.

Speaking of of Montreal: Only 8 more days to pledge in their Kickstarter for their documentary. Posting about that here because there is a vinyl pressing of "Young Froth/Taypiss" that is exclusive to Kickstarter backers. Early oM recordings that apparently pre-date the Early Four Track Recordings, even.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/743105919/of-montreal-song-dynasties-feature-length-document

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 4, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cosmic Horror posted:

I almost posted this yesterday. I also bought his album on bandcamp. It's only roughly $17ish after shipping. I had never heard of him until yesterday, when I looked up a song from a windows 8 commercial.(It was Bright Whites). The video was filled with idioms and I spent a good part of the day rewatching the video to figure them all out. There was a puzzle on his website related to the video that I solved as well, though the contest for it is from this Spring.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 4, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The entire Kishi Bashi album is good.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

What are some good resources for reading about rare and collectable records? For instance, is there any online guide for Beatles albums that lists which albums are the rarest, or which one has a misprint, or which one had a limited mono release etc.? I am getting pretty interested in this collecting stuff and I find these cult collector communities fascinating.

For example, I have been recently reading about the Killed By Death series of early punk compilations. I was inspired to learn about this because I always saw "KBD" in every punk ebay auction tagline.

Some tiny record label in Sweden is the "official" releaser of them, but apparently there are many others released by fans and bootleggers. The bands on these comps have become huge collectors items. Most of these bands only released one or two 7" singles in 1977-81, but if you look them up on Popsike they are selling for $1000+.

What other crazy vinyl communities exist out there?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Read Menace posted:

What are some good resources for reading about rare and collectable records? For instance, is there any online guide for Beatles albums that lists which albums are the rarest, or which one has a misprint, or which one had a limited mono release etc.? I am getting pretty interested in this collecting stuff and I find these cult collector communities fascinating.

For example, I have been recently reading about the Killed By Death series of early punk compilations. I was inspired to learn about this because I always saw "KBD" in every punk ebay auction tagline.

Some tiny record label in Sweden is the "official" releaser of them, but apparently there are many others released by fans and bootleggers. The bands on these comps have become huge collectors items. Most of these bands only released one or two 7" singles in 1977-81, but if you look them up on Popsike they are selling for $1000+.

There is so much poo poo out there about Beatles records that you could probably spend the rest of your life on just that.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

There is so much poo poo out there about Beatles records that you could probably spend the rest of your life on just that.

Of course. Since there are some people who HAVE spent their whole lives on it I was wondering if anyone put out a guide.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Well I mean you've got the anual Goldmine price guides, but they go out of date pretty quick and are by no means a definitive reference.

Second hand record shops love to mark everything by the mint price though...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Read Menace posted:

TONS of them, you have no idea. This thread doesn't really reflect the breadth and depth of available/known records and genres. Seriously, pick a genre that existed pre-80 and there's 4 figure records and poo poo still be discovered today. Genre collecting gets deeeep.

Just off the top of my head, here's a few books that make some kind of attempt to do a relatively deep catalog of material from a specific era/genre. Most of these have a short blurb on each entry *at best* and a couple are just covers and titles:

45 Revolutions
Teenbeat Mayhem
Acid Archives
Funk Lexicon
Fuzz Acid & Flowers
The Archivist
The Crack in the Cosmic Egg
Tapestry of Delights
Record Collector Dreams (Pokora)
Manship's Guide
R&B Indies (i think there's a lot of wrong stuff in this one)

Also, gently caress Beatles minutiae. Sad targeted hoarders doing their best to never hear anything new in their life.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm not a huge fan of the Shout Out Louds, but I think this is one of the cooler (pun?) promos I've seen done in a long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q88uTdgWY

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Read Menace posted:

Some of those old blues 78's can fetch 5 figures.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Yeah, he just loving grabbed and pulled. I'm glad it wasn't while I was listening to something.

One time I was listening to an ABBA singles album and my cat got irrationally mad and jumped onto my player during Dancing Queen. That sound still haunts my dreams.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
You can now pre-order the Atoms For Peace album, AMOK from their site.

It even has a special edition, oh my.

http://store.atomsforpeace.info/

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That album cover loving owns. I want it, but drat it's expensive...

e: vvv I got that too, days after I sent them an email being like, "yo where this at?" Oh well, it's not that much longer to wait. They did not send me a link for the digital version, though.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 4, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Why does this happen with every loving boxset?

quote:

Hi there,

Thank you for having pre-ordered the Anniversary Edition of Turn on The Bright Lights. Unfortunately due to manufacturing reasons, your physical copy of the album may arrive a few days after December 11th. We deeply apologize for this inconvenience! To hold you over until the album arrives at your door, we will be sending you a copy of the Digital Version on December 4th at 12am EST.

Thanks so much for your patience. The physical album version will be with you in no time!

All the best,
Interpol

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That album cover loving owns. I want it, but drat it's expensive...

Will this charge me now or when it ships?

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash

midge posted:

Why does this happen with every loving boxset?

Box Sets have like 10x the amount of things that can go wrong in manufacturing. They also cost more to ship!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There have been massive delays in shipping vinyl this fall, I can imagine with a box set that is gonna sell millions the delay is even worse.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Shout Out Louds, but I think this is one of the cooler (pun?) promos I've seen done in a long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q88uTdgWY

When I was in Boston last year, there was "The Record" exhibit at the ICA. They had a video of an ice record playing, and slowly melting. Probably one of the more interesting pieces in the exhibit. Really neat to hear how the physical properties affected the sound over time. If it's in your town, check it out.

The other great part was seeing the polaroid collage used on "More Songs About Buildings and Food". Huge!

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You can now pre-order the Atoms For Peace album, AMOK from their site.

It even has a special edition, oh my.

http://store.atomsforpeace.info/

You can preorder the deluxe edition on the XL store website. If you are in the USA it is much cheaper that way.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Harry Privates posted:

You can preorder the deluxe edition on the XL store website. If you are in the USA it is much cheaper that way.

Even if you're in Europe and have to pay 21 usd shipping, you're still cheaper off via XL.

Ridiculous.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Harry Privates posted:

Pre-ordered the deluxe from XL. Still pricey, but $20 cheaper than the Atoms for Peace website :wtc:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Good to know. Definitely going that route!

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
well poo poo. just emailed sandbag or whatever to cancel my expensive preorder to change it to XL. asked them to cancel or give me a single or something to justify the $20 up charge. anticipating cancellation shortly.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7dcSr04G8s

:3:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If this was a thing that was happening to me I'm pretty sure people would hear me screaming the next town over.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Any good players around $50-$100? I'm not expecting anything fancy, but just something reliable that sounds pretty good. Really, anything would be better than what I have right now.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

Any good players around $50-$100? I'm not expecting anything fancy, but just something reliable that sounds pretty good. Really, anything would be better than what I have right now.

This is my standard reccomendation for that price range. Plays at 33 and 45, has a switchable pre-amp, doesn't sound terrible.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Check Craigslist for a used one. Turntable tech hasn't changed much in the last 50 years.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

This is my standard reccomendation for that price range. Plays at 33 and 45, has a switchable pre-amp, doesn't sound terrible.

This is what I have and it works just fine.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

If I had an animal, the turntable would always have the cover on.

I'd say go vintage if you have the time and patience to hunt for it. You can get amazing turntables in that range.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

If I had Bob Marley vinyl, I'd be mad if my cat DIDN'T do this.

(I'm a monster, I know)

edit: but seriously, my cat started sniffing around my copy of The Cure - Disintegration that I had sitting on a table one time and I almost had an aneurysm

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

dflanny posted:

Pre-ordered the deluxe from XL. Still pricey, but $20 cheaper than the Atoms for Peace website :wtc:

Did XL charge right away?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I got another King Crimson original press just now:

Unfortunately the sleeve is absolutely beat to poo poo. The inner sleeve is supposed to be in one gatefold-like piece and the spine on the outer sleeve has a huge split in it and the label residue won't come off. I figure I'll probably never find another original release of Islands with the inner sleeve at all though, so I bought it. I'd seen it in their store several times, but they just moved and fortunately in their new location they have a turntable for listening to the used vinyl and it sounds pretty good. Also picked up Hergest Ridge by Mike Oldfield.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 5, 2012

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Harry Privates posted:

Did XL charge right away?

I think so. I paid with my credit card, but the charge hasn't come on to my account yet. There was also an option to pay with Paypal, which would take your money straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So I headed to my local movies/games/books/music chain store today, and unloaded some crap vinyl for about 30 cents a piece. Not too great, but at least I could get it off my hands. After I'd gone through that process, I went digging through their used vinyl bins, and found these, 99 cents each, and completely intact.

I don't know who the Hell dumped this stuff there, or how nobody working there recognized it, but I'm not complaining. The price stickers come off with hardly any residue, for a bonus.