Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw something awesome today. A really well done Mad Max style Interceptor. He pulled up outside a local panel beater but I was pulled up to get fuel and it was busy so I couldn't get a photo. Oddly I think the eerily Mel Gibson looking driver noticed my excitement. A decent number of others noticed the car too.

If you don't know what I'm talking about http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max/mad-max-cars/max-yellow-xb-interceptor-sedan/index.html
The yellow, red and black one with Max and Goose in front of it. If you haven't watched the Mad Max movies :frogout: They should be canon viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

BMW M6 converted to a GAZ-21 for some reason...

1) They don't take kindly to image leeching around here.

2) I think that's just a regular 6 series, not an M6.

3) Reason? Have you ever seen a 6 series? Converting it to a 1990s Chevy Corsica would be a major improvement.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

BMW M6 converted to a GAZ-21 for some reason...

Because with one of them, all you have to do is change the wheels to get something beautiful, but with the other the most you can hope for is 'meh'

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
For some reason it is a thing?

A very awesome thing

Edit: One more

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 4, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

For some reason it is a thing?

This is definitely a (very well done) 8 series conversion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russia :allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

thealphabetsez posted:

What is this still from?
Is that the episode where they were all at Imola or something with different cars and they were trying to beat some lap time and they were all talking to their cars before the laps? Hammond had a Noble or something?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that the episode where they were all at Imola or something with different cars and they were trying to beat some lap time and they were all talking to their cars before the laps? Hammond had a Noble or something?

Yep that's the one. It was actually really well done. The "talking to the cars" bit was kinda hokey but they had to have an excuse to pan around those cars so slowly.

Unrelated but very cool:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Seen on Jalopnik this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAMb7t1DyZ8

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

salt the fries! posted:

Here's another from today just before the first picture (when we were stuck in traffic).

It looks so tiny next to the Camry. I always thought it was massive from the usual shots you see of the Veyron by itself.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's a very tiny car. Also, the Camry is a loving boat these days.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Tits. I've seen them on a few Samurais, but that is the first Subaru I've seen.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Suddenly, everyone on dirtyimpreza has the same lightbulb go off in their heads.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Poing posted:

When in doubt, there's a Ken Block video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

Suddenly, everyone on dirtyimpreza has the same lightbulb go off in their heads.

I think those tracks are awesome and if they didn't cost about as much as a car I'd totally buy a set. I have a thing for tracks. What can I say.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This passed me on the freeway yesterday. Kind of a WTF moment.

The :911: was unintentional.

This looks like some kind of WWII era 37mm anti-tank gun. The closest thing I can find is the M3 37mm gun, but the shield and the barrel end aren't quite right, but it could still be a variant of the M3.

edit: could also be a Flak 30/38 (2cm) in which case that's a German gun.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SwashedBuckles posted:

It looks so tiny next to the Camry. I always thought it was massive from the usual shots you see of the Veyron by itself.

Yeah, it's weird how gigantic the Veyron always looks in photographs. Something about those big blobby forms, I guess, making it look bloated. In reality it's about the size of an Audi TT, and looks a lot cleaner and sleeker in person.

A 2013 Camry weighs 3200 pounds.

e: holy poo poo, the Veyron weighs over four thousand pounds? What the hell, I thought it would be like 2800 or so. What happened to all the carbon fiber? How heavy is that engine?

Poing posted:

The AWD system must be extremely confused.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 4, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

This looks like some kind of WWII era 37mm anti-tank gun. The closest thing I can find is the M3 37mm gun, but the shield and the barrel end aren't quite right, but it could still be a variant of the M3.

edit: could also be a Flak 30/38 (2cm) in which case that's a German gun.
It looks like the 37mm variant M3 to me:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/imageviewer/ar/pic-detail.asp?armor_id=329&sCurrentPic=pic1

Next best guess is the QF 25-pounder
http://www.militaryfactory.com/imageviewer/ar/pic-detail.asp?armor_id=197&sCurrentPic=pic1

No idea about the Flak, could be though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

The AWD system must be extremely confused.

I don't see why. The speedometer would be wrong, but everything else would be internally consistent.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just make sure all your tracks are the same brand and have roughly the same wear. :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

e: holy poo poo, the Veyron weighs over four thousand pounds? What the hell, I thought it would be like 2800 or so. What happened to all the carbon fiber? How heavy is that engine?

Concrete reinforced frame and floorboard to lower the centre of gravity and make up for skittish handling due to the power of the engine and the low mass of all the carbon fibre.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Parked next to this thing at the grocery store today.

It was huge and ugly.
Maybe I should have put it in the terrible stuff thread.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

According to some websites I just found, ~400kg plus another 100kg or so for the gearbox.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Thumposaurus posted:

Parked next to this thing at the grocery store today.

It was huge and ugly.

What the hell is that thing? It's like a Honda Element from a parallel universe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Isn't it one of those vehicles specifically designed from the ground-up for disabled use?

Edit: Yes, it's a VPG MV-1

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 4, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grande Prairie.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, a 1000hp W16 engine with 4 turbos and vast myriad of radiators can't be light.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Veyron is neat because it's a 1000hp car with a factory warranty.

From a performance standpoint it's a top speed monster but the weight keeps it from being great anywhere else.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sagebrush posted:

A 2013 Camry weighs 3200 pounds.

There are something like 10+ radiators in it, which would bulk up the weight. It isn't a lightweight like the McLaren F1 roadcar was.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

EightBit posted:

Well, a 1000hp W16 engine with 4 turbos and vast myriad of radiators can't be light.

Without the cooling system the dressed engine is about 400kg, or 880 lbs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Isn't it one of those vehicles specifically designed from the ground-up for disabled use?

Edit: Yes, it's a VPG MV-1

Yeah that's what it was. Under the badges in the back there was a sticker saying "Made in The USA" :911:

Google pooped this thing from Jay Leno out when I typed it in.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/collections/green-garage/vpg-mv-1/index.shtml#item=186027

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I think this is a perfect example of why the cell-phone thread was so perfect. The poster didn't have to select which of two polar opposites the image fit into and then hope the masses agree with their choice.

Good for the, "saw this today, :wtf: is it" and quasi-rare cellphone shots that aren't wallpaper worthy for this thread.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Anyone have a picture next to other cars? Without having seen in person, its hard to believe that its around the same size as an Audi TT. And tiping the scales near the 4000 lb mark has boggled my mind for such a small car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Anyone have a picture next to other cars? Without having seen in person, its hard to believe that its around the same size as an Audi TT. And tiping the scales near the 4000 lb mark has boggled my mind for such a small car.

Welcome to the thread!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Not the 25-pdr, that's way too big. A QF 2-pdr is closer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looking at it, the Veyron is far wider than your average car, and sits a fair bit lower, too. Much more volume to fill with steel and such, plus I imagine there's a significant amount of sound deadening and padding to make it ride as smooth as it does at speed. 4,000lb seems lightweight, all things considered.

Not to mention how beefy the 4wd system would need to be. Each WHEEL is getting 250 horsepower, that's equal to an entire V6 TT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jonathan posted:

From a performance standpoint it's a top speed monster but the weight keeps it from being great anywhere else.

The reason why it's great isnt the top speed. It's fact it actually is great everywhere else, despite it's bulk and complexity.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

You Am I posted:

There are something like 10+ radiators in it, which would bulk up the weight. It isn't a lightweight like the McLaren F1 roadcar was.

Right. The design brief with the F1 was "it has to weigh 1000 kg," the design brief for the Veyron was "it better make 1000 bhp!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cat Terrist posted:

The reason why it's great isnt the top speed. It's fact it actually is great everywhere else, despite it's bulk and complexity.

I personally don't think it's great at all. It's the least exciting hypercar. Bland styling, bland performance for a 1000hp car. It doesn't draw emotion from me that the Aventador does. It's great from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint, but it's still just following in the footsteps of the Sledgehammer.