Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I know if you order the iMac without the SSD card thing then Apple don't even solder the connector onto the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

As far as I know if you order the iMac without the SSD card thing then Apple don't even solder the connector onto the board.
I just figured replace the HD with an SSD like people do with current iMacs. After you use piano wire or whatever to remove the screen and then somehow get it back on. Right now you can just pop it off with fingernails or a credit card

Shmoogy posted:

Yeah people have found the commands to create the fusion drive-- but they strongly recommend against using an external drive as the second one. It sounded like if it gets disconnected for any reason, it might make you have to reformat or something.
That would be really bad. Nevermind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

According to iFixit

quote:

The late 2012 iMac 21.5" – code-named EMC 2544 – is an exercise in disappointment for us. We were quite worried when we saw that super-thin bezel during Apple’s keynote, and unfortunately we were correct: the glass and LCD are now glued to the iMac’s frame with incredibly strong adhesive. Gone are the lovely magnets that held the glass in place in iMacs of yesteryear.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Better yet stay with Windows 7.

Yes for now stick to Win7 unless you want to develop Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8 applications.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

According to iFixit

I thougth some site used guitar picks to get the screen off? I just wonder if they can stick it back or what.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

terriyaki posted:

Wasn't aware that the base 21" iMac's HDD was 5400rpm only and non-upgradeable. That's pretty brutal.

Install SteerMouse and keep using your dope G500! :)

Thanks for this. Works pretty well except it was weird getting mouse acceleration off (if that can even happen).

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
So I just realized that my new iMac due to arrive in a few short days has no display out for my twin Dell 24" displays... Does thunderbolt act as a mini DVI out? Or am I hosed?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

lowercasejames posted:

So I just realized that my new iMac due to arrive in a few short days has no display out for my twin Dell 24" displays... Does thunderbolt act as a mini DVI out? Or am I hosed?

Yeah but you have to buy the adapter.

You can get something like this

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Suqit posted:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Well gently caress.

Wait, this doesn't make sense. I have a mini display adapter for both DVI monitors. Doesn't the mini display adapter work in the thunderbolt slot?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

lowercasejames posted:

Well gently caress.

Wait, this doesn't make sense. I have a mini display adapter for both DVI monitors. Doesn't the mini display adapter work in the thunderbolt slot?

I'm not sure if the new iMacs have two thunderbolt ports but you can just buy two of these also.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=53

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Suqit posted:

I'm not sure if the new iMacs have two thunderbolt ports but you can just buy two of these also.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=53

Thanks. I did some googling... Should not have a problem. There are two outputs. Thanks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lowercasejames posted:

Well gently caress.

If you have a DVI to Mini-DisplayPort adapter it should work. That's how I connect my Dell U2412m monitor to the Thunderbolt port on my Macbook Air.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Suqit posted:

This thing is absolute poo poo. The worst adapter I have ever had the displeasure of using. Sleep->Resume usually results in digital snow, sometimes the display randomly cuts out while being used. It's a rampant problem with these adapters with no fix in sight from Apple. gently caress these things!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Judging by the tech specs page on the Apple store, both the 21" and 27" models have two Thunderbolt ports, so you should be able to get by with two mini-DisplayPort->DVI adapters.

Edit: Depending on the model of the Dell monitors they might have DisplayPort inputs. If so, you can get a couple of mini-DisplayPort->DisplayPort cables from somewhere like Monoprice which should be cheaper than getting DVI adapters.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 4, 2012

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Mercurius posted:

Judging by the tech specs page on the Apple store, both the 21" and 27" models have two Thunderbolt ports, so you should be able to get by with two mini-DisplayPort->DVI adapters.

Edit: Depending on the model of the Dell monitors they might have DisplayPort inputs. If so, you can get a couple of mini-DisplayPort->DisplayPort cables from somewhere like Monoprice which should be cheaper than getting DVI adapters.

Yeah, this... thanks guys. Just a moment of buyer panic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jink posted:

This thing is absolute poo poo. The worst adapter I have ever had the displeasure of using. Sleep->Resume usually results in digital snow, sometimes the display randomly cuts out while being used. It's a rampant problem with these adapters with no fix in sight from Apple. gently caress these things!

At least the new rMBP finally come with a standard HDMI connector to help avoid all the adapter cable grief.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

etalian posted:

At least the new rMBP finally come with a standard HDMI connector to help avoid all the adapter cable grief.

That would be great if the HDMI out weren't completely washed out and entirely unusable.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Just got a text from Apple store...

My (girlfriend's) 21.5" iMac has shipped and wil be delivered Thursday!

That's a 16GB with Fusion, so at least a week ahead of schedule (was advised around the 14th when we ordered)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I have the core I7 6,2 mini, and holy poo poo this thing is quick.
I am getting 16Gigs of ram and a 256gig mushkin chronos for Christmas, and can't wait to see how fast this thing goes.

Oh yeah, and I can replace both of those things without having to tear down 90% of the unit. Suck it new Imac owners. :smug:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
If I'm not concerned about the portability, would it be prudent to get a stock 2.3Ghz 15" RMBP over a stock 2.5Ghz 13"? I feel like it's an easy decision when considering one hundred dollars buys the better GPU and the larger screen. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 4, 2012

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

If I'm not concerned about the portability, would it be prudent to get a stock 2.3Ghz 15" RMBP over a stock 2.5Ghz 13"? I feel like it's an easy decision when considering one hundred dollars buys the better GPU and the larger screen. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Nope, you're not.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Suqit posted:

That would be great if the HDMI out weren't completely washed out and entirely unusable.

Why is this?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Ziploc posted:

Why is this?

It seems to be a problem with the graphics card. Apple seem to be aware of it but have yet to act on it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4080525?start=0&tstart=0

There are several different discussions about it.

I experienced the problem going from the HDMI out to the monitor without using the thunderbolt adapter on an rMBP 13".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

No, the 13" rMBP is the the biggest rip-off.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

ratbert90 posted:

So I have the core I7 6,2 mini, and holy poo poo this thing is quick.
I am getting 16Gigs of ram and a 256gig mushkin chronos for Christmas, and can't wait to see how fast this thing goes.

Oh yeah, and I can replace both of those things without having to tear down 90% of the unit. Suck it new Imac owners. :smug:

b-b-b-b-buuuut 5mm thick.

What's the graphics card in that thing?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

etalian posted:

Except the fact that the HDMI port is single link DVI only.

Then there's the argument "get a monitor that supports DisplayPort!"... Well, Apple won't output RGB to those monitors (only RGB to Apple Cinema Displays). My DELL U3011 only receives YCbCr, which I can't calibrate and the colors are absolute poo poo. The rMBP under Windows? RGB all day long.

Then there's the fact that dual link DVI monitors can't be rotated under Displays without being forced to a lower resolution. (My Radar was closed as a Duplicate).

What the gently caress, Apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

lowercasejames posted:

b-b-b-b-buuuut 5mm thick.

What's the graphics card in that thing?

Intel HD 4000 GPU. No discrete option available on this model either, only on the Mid 2011 Mini models.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Intel HD 4000 GPU. No discrete option available on this model either, only on the Mid 2011 Mini models.

While this may be true, the HD4000 can play GW2 just fine at medium settings. However I do wish there was a discrete graphics option. :(

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
About to order my first Apple product that is not a phone. Since the 15 rMBP doen't come with an optical drive, I am trying to figure out the quickest way to get Win7 Home Premium 64 bit with SP1 on it after buying the license.

I have my old USB stick that I made an ISO of my computers Win7 installation on for USB installation purposes, but that is non SP1, just the original release.

Is there a location that has the Win7 64 bit SP1 baked in as an ISO download for installation via a USB or should I just bite the bullet, install Win7 and then upgrade to SP1 after the fact?

Seems like Amazon has it for $91.xx

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Is there a location that has the Win7 64 bit SP1 baked in as an ISO download for installation via a USB or should I just bite the bullet, install Win7 and then upgrade to SP1 after the fact?
http://www.mytechguide.org/10042/windows-7-service-pack-sp1-official-digitalriver-download/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ratbert90 posted:

While this may be true, the HD4000 can play GW2 just fine at medium settings. However I do wish there was a discrete graphics option. :(

I've been on the fence about a new Mac Mini at tax time next year for a while, was totally sold on one before they revealed no dedicated graphics in the refresh.

I've been reading encouraging things about getting tolerable framerates on things like WoW, Diablo 3 and others at 1920x1080. I still find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that integrated graphics could be anything but terrible though. I'd hate to buy one and still have to use my clunky old 15.6" laptop (i3-370m Radeon 5650) for the rare PC gaming I do.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Thankee!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jink posted:

Except the fact that the HDMI port is single link DVI only.

Then there's the argument "get a monitor that supports DisplayPort!"... Well, Apple won't output RGB to those monitors (only RGB to Apple Cinema Displays). My DELL U3011 only receives YCbCr, which I can't calibrate and the colors are absolute poo poo. The rMBP under Windows? RGB all day long.

Then there's the fact that dual link DVI monitors can't be rotated under Displays without being forced to a lower resolution. (My Radar was closed as a Duplicate).

What the gently caress, Apple.
I am using a Dell U2410 at work with my rMBP and it's outputting to RGB through a mini-DP to DVI cable just fine. I used to have the same problem when I was running a a poor quality mini-DP to DP cable instead, but switching the cable to use DVI instead of DP on the monitor end fixed it up immediately. From the poking around on forums I did, it's something to do with the way the mini-DP signal is encoded through Thunderbolt in OS X that the Dell monitors don't like when it's coming through the DisplayPort on the monitor. An active mini-DP->DP converter (instead of a passive cable like I used) would probably also fix this.

I've had zero issues with the actual HDMI port and it's always out RGB with normal colours regardless of whether I'm using straight HDMI or HDMI->DVI cables.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mercurius posted:

I am using a Dell U2410 at work with my rMBP and it's outputting to RGB through a mini-DP to DVI cable just fine. I used to have the same problem when I was running a a poor quality mini-DP to DP cable instead, but switching the cable to use DVI instead of DP on the monitor end fixed it up immediately. From the poking around on forums I did, it's something to do with the way the mini-DP signal is encoded through Thunderbolt in OS X that the Dell monitors don't like when it's coming through the DisplayPort on the monitor. An active mini-DP->DP converter (instead of a passive cable like I used) would probably also fix this.

I've had zero issues with the actual HDMI port and it's always out RGB with normal colours regardless of whether I'm using straight HDMI or HDMI->DVI cables.

I am using a certified Mini DP -> DP cable right now with no luck. A Mini DP -> DVI cable won't work for me because I need dual link DVI (which requires an active converter that I already have). My previous DELL monitor didn't have issues because I could use a single link cable (HDMI->DVI).

I don't think it's a cable problem. I think these issues are OSX bugs with large resolution screens.

Where are you seeing the active Mini DP -> DP cables? Mini DP->DP is passive in nature due to only changing connector size. Do you have any links to more information on this? Frustrating to have an expensive useless dual monitor work machine.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jink posted:

I am using a certified Mini DP -> DP cable right now with no luck. A Mini DP -> DVI cable won't work for me because I need dual link DVI (which requires an active converter that I already have). My previous DELL monitor didn't have issues because I could use a single link cable (HDMI->DVI).

I don't think it's a cable problem. I think these issues are OSX bugs with large resolution screens.

Where are you seeing the active Mini DP -> DP cables? Mini DP->DP is passive in nature due to only changing connector size. Do you have any links to more information on this? Frustrating to have an expensive useless dual monitor work machine.
Looks like I'm getting confused about active DP converters and I'm thinking of active mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI connectors. What's on the other end of the active Dual Link DVI converter that you already have?

Also, this appears to specifically be an issue with Dell monitors (and might just be Ultrasharps) because they don't like the way that OS X sends the mini-DP signal over Thunderbolt. You'd probably find if you tested it with an older Mac that doesn't have Thunderbolt port and only has mini-DP that it'd work okay, not that it really helps.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Maybe this isn't possible, but I have a question:

I want to be able to rip some of my BluRay disks so I can have high quality versions to watch on the go, so I've been looking into external drives. There are a handful of USB 2.0 ones, but that seems pretty drat slow for dealing with 25GB disks, and I'm also not sure about compatibility. Is there any sort of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt enclosure I could put an internal BluRay drive into that would work with my Mac? What's the best solution here (if there's one at all)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blu-Ray drives are slow anyway. I put my Blu-Ray drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and I don't think it changed my rip times at all.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Blu-Ray drives are slow anyway. I put my Blu-Ray drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure and I don't think it changed my rip times at all.

Well bummer, I'll have to deal with it then and just do rips overnight. Any recommendations on an enclosure + drive with good compatibility?

e: How do these look?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145090
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136252

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 5, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

Well bummer, I'll have to deal with it then and just do rips overnight. Any recommendations on an enclosure + drive with good compatibility?
The drive is a Plextor and the enclosure was whatever my USB 2.0 LG DVD drive came in. I just swapped the Blu-Ray drive in for it. I don't think the enclosure brand matters too much since you're not as worried about drive idle settings and such that you might have with a hard drive.

edit: that seems like a good combination. You probably won't hit the 10x read speed of that drive, but that's okay. It's been a while since I ripped anything, but I don't remember a BD taking overnight. Even 1x should only take as long as the movie. My drive's a few years old and only does 2x.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That does remind me of my college roommate 8 years ago who was complaining about his external DVD drive taking a day to rip DVDs.

He was using a USB 1.1 hub. :doh: