Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
This place is opening up near Brunswick very soon, their pics on FB look drat good:

http://www.burgerandshake.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scion3872
Apr 21, 2010
Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants nearby Kilburn/Maida Vale?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Arianna II is really popular as a small neighbourhood restaurant, though I haven't been.

Also MsMarmiteLover's underground restaurant is around there - you should check it out. Again, I haven't been but I love the social aspect of supper clubs!

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Neris posted:

edit: :siren: 50% off ramen for the soft launch ( 7/11 - 17/11) at Shoryu Ramen on Regent Street, 11am-7pm . Looks good!

A second thanks for this - I was on my way, walking across Trafalgar Square when I heard some music... I walked into Madness recording a video for their new single! Stayed for the music, then didn't have time to go to Regent St after that so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I need a pub recommendation.

Somewhere within striking distance of Paddington that does interesting/great beer. I know sweet FA about the area!

Actually, if anyone knows some less well known places in central that would be good for tanking up some out of towners who love belgian beer, that would be awesome as well.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 9, 2012

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Somewhere within striking distance of Paddington that does interesting/great beer. I know sweet FA about the area!

Actually, if anyone knows some less well known places in central that would be good for tanking up some out of towners who love belgian beer, that would be awesome as well.

The Dovetail in Jerusalem Passage gets rammed after work but is pretty decent for Belgian beer and reasonably out of the way to not attract huge crowds at other times.

Can't help you with Paddington though, really not my neck of the woods, sorry :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm meeting an American friend tonight at Vauxhall at 830, what's still open and good around there? Reasonably priced please?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

The_Doctor posted:

I'm meeting an American friend tonight at Vauxhall at 830, what's still open and good around there? Reasonably priced please?

Still open? Is that ever really an issue? This isn't Belgium/France!

Vauxhall is a bit of a poo poo/soulless area for food but this place has always looked interesting to me. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/14/brunswick-house-cafe-london-review

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Hot Stuff is very cheap and good.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Spuckuk posted:

The Mitre between Paddington and Lancaster Gate is really good. :)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Scion3872 posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants nearby Kilburn/Maida Vale?

Yeah Ariana II is really good Afghan. A bit farther afield down Edgeware Road is The Heron pub too, which is a grotty old pub but with a totally awesome genuine northern Thai restaurant in the basement.

http://theskinnybib.com/2011/04/17/the-heron-unpretentiously-thai/

I think they've actually translated the menu now at least. Anyway, it was excellent when I went a few months ago.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 9, 2012

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NLJP posted:

Yeah Ariana II is really good. A bit farther afield down Edgeware Road is The Heron pub too, which is a grotty old man pub but with a totally awesome genuine northern Thai restaurant in the basement.

http://theskinnybib.com/2011/04/17/the-heron-unpretentiously-thai/

I'll second Ariana II. BYOB with no corkage is another plus.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

The Mitre between Paddington and Lancaster Gate is really good. :)

Thanks! Will check it out.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Beware spontaneously combusting laundry! I was just now looking to book Terre a Terre in Brighton for an occasion and it turns out their whole kitchen burned out a few weeks ago. They're closed until the new year :( The best veg restaurant I've ever been to.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Ended up going to Yo! Sushi in Camden for their all you can eat Sunday dealio. £19.50 for as much sushi as you can shove in your gullet as well as water, green tea and miso in an hour.

Although I realise Yo! Isn't the most amazing sushi around it was a pretty good deal and they didn't skimp on the more expensive plates or variety. I do like the idea of being able to devour as much salmon sashimi as is humanly possible. I've been to the Hi Sushi one too and this was better.

Between two of us we managed to destroy what would have cost £100. YMMV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, challenge accepted.

Back when I lived in the US, there was a sushi buffet place that was $10.99 at lunch times. It was all produced fresh by 4 sushi chefs in small quantities, and was very good quality and variety. Now I'm back in London I miss being able to gorge on sushi in that quantity, but understandably restaurants couldn't afford to do that here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ended up going to Yo! Sushi in Camden for their all you can eat Sunday dealio. £19.50 for as much sushi as you can shove in your gullet as well as water, green tea and miso in an hour.

Although I realise Yo! Isn't the most amazing sushi around it was a pretty good deal and they didn't skimp on the more expensive plates or variety. I do like the idea of being able to devour as much salmon sashimi as is humanly possible. I've been to the Hi Sushi one too and this was better.

Between two of us we managed to destroy what would have cost £100. YMMV.

I really, really wish Atari-ya would do something like this.

Trip report, went to Rodizio Roda in chinatown whilst drunk, with other drunks. Very salty but endless meat, not sure if I'd go sober, but it's monday morning now and I'm still full.

Had DimSum at Leongs Legends for sunday lunch and, while it's not the best I've had in London, the price is incredibly reasonable, and the staff were less grumpy than normal...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Friend and I went to MeatMarket tonight because I wanted to try their Philly cheesesteak.

Very disappointing. For a cheesesteak, it was missing both parts of that word. Minimal cheese, and very little steak, the gaps made up with large amounts of onions and green peppers. The taste was incredibly peppery too, to the point of overpowering any other flavour. I know what a Philly cheesesteak should taste like, having had many in my time, and this was by far the worst.

My friend ordered the black palace burger, and again, overloaded with onions. MeatMarket need to realise that just making their food really spicy isn't the same as being flavoursome. I'll stick to Bodean's for my hit of American chow.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I got to Burger & Lobster for a grilled lobster. It was quite excellent.

Edit: I also had the worst pizza ever. Between McD and Ripley's on Piccadilly Circus. It was just dough and two slices of pepperoni. No cheese, no sauce.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 21, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Friend and I went to MeatMarket tonight because I wanted to try their Philly cheesesteak.

Very disappointing. For a cheesesteak, it was missing both parts of that word. Minimal cheese, and very little steak, the gaps made up with large amounts of onions and green peppers. The taste was incredibly peppery too, to the point of overpowering any other flavour. I know what a Philly cheesesteak should taste like, having had many in my time, and this was by far the worst.

My friend ordered the black palace burger, and again, overloaded with onions. MeatMarket need to realise that just making their food really spicy isn't the same as being flavoursome. I'll stick to Bodean's for my hit of American chow.
You should have had a chickencheeze

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

This place is opening up near Brunswick very soon, their pics on FB look drat good:

Tonight is their opening night. I popped my head in hoping they were set up for takeaway.

They won't be set up for takeaways for a week or two (so unless we do a big lunch there or something we won't get to try them until January) which was a shame. So instead it's GBK for dinner tonight. Luckily it's pretty much right next door in the Brunswick.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Had DimSum at Leongs Legends for sunday lunch and, while it's not the best I've had in London, the price is incredibly reasonable, and the staff were less grumpy than normal...

^^^ This man knows what's up; when in doubt, trust a goon w/ chickencheese.

Leong's Legends, London: a Sunday afternoon late lunch:

Menu:

Click here to view the full image

Cold Lemon Tea:

Fillet Seabass Cheung Fun:

Beijing Pork and Chive Dumplings:

Won Ton in Spicy Sauce (with Pork):

Garlic and Chive Dumplings:

Taiwan Spicy Beef Noodle Soup:

Fantastic food and extremely quick service. New favourite restaurant discovered!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Leong's Legends is brilliant, if only for being one of the only restaurants in London with stuff on the menu that makes me think "loving hell, there's no way I'd put that in my mouth".

Get the Legend's Pork Siu Loung Bao next time, they're the speciality and are absolutely superb.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Masonity posted:

Tonight is their opening night. I popped my head in hoping they were set up for takeaway.

They won't be set up for takeaways for a week or two (so unless we do a big lunch there or something we won't get to try them until January) which was a shame. So instead it's GBK for dinner tonight. Luckily it's pretty much right next door in the Brunswick.

Went for dinner with some friends last night! Only a teeny little place but was quite busy. The burgers were to die for- juicy, flavoursome, good pickles and bacon. Fries were also really good and the coleslaw was delicious- tangy and finely sliced and not drowning in sauce.

We had the shakes as well, salted caramel and strawberry were excellent and they also do boozy/cocktail style shakes which sounded good. Didn't try the hot dogs but will definitely do that next time. The only dessert on the menu was the peanut butter cheesecake which was insanely rich, like a giant Reeses Cup.

Price wise it's about the same as Byron but I liked this much much more.

I kind of want it to stay a secret but it's too good not to share.

:burger:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Awwwww yeahhhh, going with the missus to stuff our faces with porky treats on the 18th

http://thebullhighgate.co.uk/events.php

'Porklife'

Join MasterChef winner Tim Anderson and finalist Tom Whitaker for their triumphant return to the Bull Highgate in a holiday celebration of all things porcine!

Menu:

Partridge in a Pork Tree

Partridge Breast, Pork Cheek, Parsnip Bark, Perry-Parsnip Puree, Crackling

Pork Liver Paté
Toasted Brioche, Spiced Apple Chutney

Porchetta
With Various Sides

Trio of Christmas Desserts
Mince Pie, Mini Pudding, Mini Trifle

Sounds goddamn awesome.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I've eaten a lot of places courtesy of parents and so forth lately but drat if Ba Shan in Soho hasn't been the best so far.

Definitely order the cabbage with chili, dried cucumber with pork and the steamed catfish with chili and noodles. Otherwise it's a bit open but their sichuan dried fried beans are great as well as the red cooked pork belly (chairman mao's red braised pork).

I could rave for a long time about this meal. Honestly, the best meal I've had in a long time, chinese or otherwise.

loving go there. Seriously.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 10, 2012

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Will have to take a look sometime, as they're right round the corner from my office.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Going to The Square on Monday for dinner and Made in Camden for lunch on Tuesday - any recommendations for specific plates to try?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Bit of a long shot because it's not London but does anyone know of a decent sushi or Japanese restaurant around Windsor, Datchet, Eton, Reading, High Wycombe or anywhere else not too far from Slough?

My parents want to take me out for a birthday meal on Monday and they don't want to do London for whatever reason.

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!
Decent sushi outside of any major cities seems to be like gold dust. All you really seem to get is Thai/Malaysian places serving the odd bit of sushi and sashimi or Yo Sushi. I suspect it's down to non-city types being intimidated by the 'it's all raw fish' image sushi has unfairly ended up with.

I did find this though: http://www.misugo.co.uk/index.html

Might be worth seeing if they're still there? Seems to have a few decent reviews to it's name on Google.

I hope you manage to find somewhere suitably awesome.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
We just ended up going to John Lewis for afternoon tea but they weren't doing it for the Christmas period so I had this banoffee loaf thing and it wasn't really that nice :(

The height of my birthday culinary experience this year has been showing my mum how to make kale chips. Ah well. There's always next year!

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that and that I didn't read this sooner. I feel your pain though, last year my birthday was awful because someone invited someone who was vegan (nothing against them mind), so we could only eat somewhere that served vegan food. Needless to say, I'm not vegan.

Time to make up for the disappointment over Christmas with plenty of food and booze? I can give you my recipe for festive gyoza... :D

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm in London for about another week or so. Been reading through this thread but it's hard to keep track of all the good stuff when you have only a basic understanding of the different areas of London... I'm staying in East London near Liverpool Street station - any good places in this area?

We're going to Hyde Park tomorrow evening, are there any good fish and chips near there? Or any other good and reasonably cheap (less than £15 ideally) near there?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Tayabbs or Needoo

And no. God no. Go West to Shepherds Bush or Ealing and try Kerbisher and Malt, it's amazingly good (and cheapish).

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Laminator posted:

I'm in London for about another week or so. Been reading through this thread but it's hard to keep track of all the good stuff when you have only a basic understanding of the different areas of London... I'm staying in East London near Liverpool Street station - any good places in this area?

We're going to Hyde Park tomorrow evening, are there any good fish and chips near there? Or any other good and reasonably cheap (less than £15 ideally) near there?

Tayyabs for curry as has been suggested. There's a lot of good places just north of where you are, in Shoreditch. Go and drink the in Brewdog there, and eat at MeatMission and let us know if it's good.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Laminator posted:

Don't restrict yourself to one part of London depending on where your hotel is. A local wouldn't do it - you have the entire city at your feet thanks to the tube and busses so definitely head out and see different parts of London anyway.

What sort of food do you like or are interested in trying? There's good everything, really, but are you limited by your budget?

Finally as for the fish and chips thing, people ask in this thread all the time about it and it's not something you can really suggest. The thing you're mostly looking for is a manky-looking place that says FISH BAR or something above it, (not chicken) where you drunkenly buy a soggy mass of chips and eat them in the rain with a wooden fork while drunk.

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.
Has anybody tried the new Bone Daddies ramen place on Peter St yet?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

F E Smith posted:

Has anybody tried the new Bone Daddies ramen place on Peter St yet?

Went there last weekend with a big group of friends, waited a while to be seated but served us starters (soft shell crab was yums) and drinks while we waited and then the ramen was pretty drat nice, got the pipet of fat of course :D nice selection of japanese whiskeys too. Definitely worth it.

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

by.a.teammate posted:

Went there last weekend with a big group of friends, waited a while to be seated but served us starters (soft shell crab was yums) and drinks while we waited and then the ramen was pretty drat nice, got the pipet of fat of course :D nice selection of japanese whiskeys too. Definitely worth it.

Excellent! Will definitely have to give it a try. I've also been meaning to try Ittenbari for some time, but always find myself tempted to Tonkotsu instead as I live just down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Bone Daddies is INSANE popular right now so I'd imagine it's drat good, because the entire foodie scene in London is crazy for it.

I imagine it's pretty hard to get a table, I wandered past about two weeks ago on a Tuesday evening or something and there was a shitload of people queuing in really freezing weather.