Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

...instead of buying even a silver. Once the curses run out (which they should pretty quickly in a 4 player game with everyone going sea hag), every one of those sea hags might as well be an extra curse in their for all the good it does. If you can even start piling out the duchies you can pull out an easy 3 pile win once the curses and sea hags are gone.

I haven't run the math but it's a matter of mentality, but when everyone has a sea hag it's not ridiculous to try to go for another to stick more curses on everyone else (since at least sea hag herself isn't negative points in your endgame score) and I've definitely played it as the only guy with one sea hag and my deck was significantly worse.

I think we might just hate having fun.

I still hate spy more as a card than sea hag in large games though - because people can play the card so slowly. Do I want to give you a copper or not you only have like SEVEN of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
So Descent 2nd edition is $40 on Amazon right now. Is this game worth it for 2 players?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Netrunner is totally worth it, Clanpot Shake. At least grab yourself a copy while it's cheap. I just bought myself a 2nd copy for that very reason.

Looks like it went back up.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

nesbit37 posted:

Do any of you know of good gateway games for little kids? Though he is definitely on the young side, my 5 year old nephew has apparently been expressing interest in some of the old games I left at my parent's house. I know there probably isn't much that is good for that age group, but I figured I would check. I picked up a copy of Kids of Carcassonne that we can hopefully play while I am back for the holidays and am hoping there are a couple of other options there.

Castle panic and Hey That's My Fish are enjoyed by my 6yr old. And me truth be told.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

1Q84 posted:

So Descent 2nd edition is $40 on Amazon right now. Is this game worth it for 2 players?

I dig it but it really plays best with 3-5. With 2 players the hero player will have to manage two heroes. Not horrible but not optimal either.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

medchem posted:

Looks like it went back up.

drat I pulled the trigger at just the right time. Thanks guys!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I guess I'll just imagine that the extra $7.87 I just paid would have covered shipping costs if I had ordered 10 hours ago.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This dude right here is pretty cool! Ah, semi-impromptu boardgoon meets.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

This dude right here is pretty cool! Ah, semi-impromptu boardgoon meets.

I met this guy and he didn't even try to kill me! Who would have thought. We played Last Will, Fjords, Catacombs, and Taluva, all pretty solid games that made for a night of fun. We laughed and cried at his sealed copy of Napoleon's Triumph sitting on the shelf (I laughed, he cried).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kiranamos posted:

I met this guy and he didn't even try to kill me! Who would have thought. We played Last Will, Fjords, Catacombs, and Taluva, all pretty solid games that made for a night of fun. We laughed and cried at his sealed copy of Napoleon's Triumph sitting on the shelf (I laughed, he cried).

Lucky for you two, Napoleon's Triumph is supposed to be pretty good 2-player!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

Lucky for you two, Napoleon's Triumph is supposed to be pretty good 2-player!

No, see, the issue is that Kiranamos was only here for the evening, and my wife doesn't like wargames. Though she says she'll try NT someday if I really want.

Really, the reason it's in shrink is cause I have great friends who already own the game. :3:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I got Netrunner today, and tried playing it with my buddy. It seems pretty fun, but the rules were tough to chew through. I think after a few more plays it will be a lot smoother. I don't really look forward to teaching it to new players though. Hopefully with some games under my belt I can focus on what's important for actually getting playing. Usually it helps the learning process to kind of stumble through a few turns.

It's too early for me to comment on balance though. We both one a game each, once as runner once as corp. I ended up winning as corp from a poor understanding of how net damage worked, which is forgivable. The first game was pretty one-sided in the runner's favor. I couldn't get a lot of credits going, so was unable to rez any of my ices.

I'm definitely looking forward to padding out the card count even though I've barely got a grasp on the basic cards yet. The art and flavor text are definitely top-notch, which goes a long way with me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

apophenium posted:

I don't really look forward to teaching it to new players though. Hopefully with some games under my belt I can focus on what's important for actually getting playing. Usually it helps the learning process to kind of stumble through a few turns.

Netrunner is like the one game that I refuse to teach anyone because I have no idea where the hell to start. So much of "good play" is dependent on knowing how a deck works and what cards are possible that I would have to explain twice: once for the base mechanics of the game (for both sides), and the second time for how the deck is supposed to function. Most people I've met would probably get lost after the base mechanics, of maybe one side.

Maybe I am just a lazy misanthropic dick, but yeah, I would just require people to read up on it before playing.

Balance is a tougher issue to really say anything definitive on, especially since a lot of it is dependent on what you have as counters. Criminals, for example, or at least people who splash Decoy, will have an infinitely easier time against a Weyland Scorched Earth deck, whereas in most other decks, I imagine that Decoy is a dud card.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Balance is a tougher issue to really say anything definitive on, especially since a lot of it is dependent on what you have as counters. Criminals, for example, or at least people who splash Decoy, will have an infinitely easier time against a Weyland Scorched Earth deck, whereas in most other decks, I imagine that Decoy is a dud card.

It's probably not worth thinking too hard about til all the Data Packs are out in the wild, too. From the previews, they'll definitely be worth picking up and will add/change a lot about the metagame.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

apophenium posted:

I got Netrunner today, and tried playing it with my buddy. It seems pretty fun, but the rules were tough to chew through. I think after a few more plays it will be a lot smoother. I don't really look forward to teaching it to new players though. Hopefully with some games under my belt I can focus on what's important for actually getting playing. Usually it helps the learning process to kind of stumble through a few turns.

It's too early for me to comment on balance though. We both one a game each, once as runner once as corp. I ended up winning as corp from a poor understanding of how net damage worked, which is forgivable. The first game was pretty one-sided in the runner's favor. I couldn't get a lot of credits going, so was unable to rez any of my ices.

I'm definitely looking forward to padding out the card count even though I've barely got a grasp on the basic cards yet. The art and flavor text are definitely top-notch, which goes a long way with me.

Were you playing as Jinteki?

I feel Jinteki are the most passive (and boring) corp, as they exist basically to punish the runner for making runs unprepared, taking the excitement (doing runs) out of the game. Plus they have no extra moneymaking capabilities above what the base deck gives them, so they end up feeling super slow.

NBN on the other hand have nifty ways to give runners tags and punish them for it (sometimes even if the runner hasn't even done a run), HB have strong ICE with the drawback that runners can spend time to bypass them, and Weyland have big money and big explosions. All are more dynamic and interesting than Jinteki.

Also if your opponent was playing as the Shaper, she is also the most boring IMO.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

Were you playing as Jinteki?

I feel Jinteki are the most passive (and boring) corp, as they exist basically to punish the runner for making runs unprepared, taking the excitement (doing runs) out of the game. Plus they have no extra moneymaking capabilities above what the base deck gives them, so they end up feeling super slow.

NBN on the other hand have nifty ways to give runners tags and punish them for it (sometimes even if the runner hasn't even done a run), HB have strong ICE with the drawback that runners can spend time to bypass them, and Weyland have big money and big explosions. All are more dynamic and interesting than Jinteki.

Also if your opponent was playing as the Shaper, she is also the most boring IMO.

Yeah we both started out with Jinteki and Shaper. The rule book recommended it and I don't like to upset the rule book. I'm really looking through the other decks right now and I can tell they'd be a lot more fun to play than Jinteki. Haas in particular looks pretty neat.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I printed these out and threw them in my box. It makes it a bit easier to get through the rules, and the cards for each side helped me teach it while running through a few open-hand rounds.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83012/android-netrunner-rules-summary-cards

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Whoa, when the hell did Netrunner become ranked number 15 on BGG?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

apophenium posted:

Yeah we both started out with Jinteki and Shaper. The rule book recommended it and I don't like to upset the rule book. I'm really looking through the other decks right now and I can tell they'd be a lot more fun to play than Jinteki. Haas in particular looks pretty neat.

They probably are the best "beginner" pairing. Kate has generic and universally useful icebreakers, and the "teaching" player in 2 player matchups is usually the Corp, and Jinteki can't come out guns blazing against her like other corps can.

The Criminal player doesn't even have a code gate breaker in his deck, ferchrissake

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 5, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
My question is, with all of the new fiddly bits that we get in the Netrunner Core Set (which I do appreciate, much better than the pennies or jelly beans we used back in the day), why was there no room for some MU counters for the Runner?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

bobvonunheil posted:

They probably are the best "beginner" pairing. Kate has generic and universally useful icebreakers, and the "teaching" player in 2 player matchups is usually the Corp, and Jinteki can't come out guns blazing against her like other corps can.

Also, Jinteki will teach a new runner to keep enough cards in hand in case of ambushes or Snares. Playing against Jinteki a few times will teach them that the hand/grip is HP and to make runs earlier in their turn rather than later.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Say a dude wants to get down on some axis and allies, if you have opinions on playing this particular game which version do you find the most satisfying to play? I've only ever played regular or possibly Europe. I didn't find out until a few days ago they got all these other versions like pacific {which seems interesting with it's heavier focus on naval warfare/management}.

Also say I'm looking into something like smash up/summoner wars, I'm deciding between the two at the moment and wondering if anyone has had any play with them in 1v1 play. Recommendations coming from people who played those games and others they enjoy would also work. Not super interested in Memoir 44 although I did find it fun from playing the online version.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 5, 2012

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

1Q84 posted:

Wow it's really much more expensive for us Euro folks. At the moment like ~$70.

I played the "First Blood" encounter yesterday with the lady and while being much fun it was also exhausting because she didn't know one bit about RPGs. So I basically had to explain the whole RPG universe first (Races, Classes, Equip, Dice rolls, LOS, Loot, Mobs, etc...) But when we finally began to play the actual game it was a lot of fun. Will play it on the weekend with my group. Really hope it turns out even better with 5 players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

Whoa, when the hell did Netrunner become ranked number 15 on BGG?

When it stopped being the near mythical CCG from the mid-90s that was better than Magic and became the widely available LCG from 2012 that is better than Magic. Netrunner should always have been that high, it just didn't have the votes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Also say I'm looking into something like smash up/summoner wars, I'm deciding between the two at the moment and wondering if anyone has had any play with them in 1v1 play. Recommendations coming from people who played those games and others they enjoy would also work. Not super interested in Memoir 44 although I did find it fun from playing the online version.

Smash up is not good with 1v1 because many of the factions have cards that will hit a lot of low range targets which are meant to hit multiple players. Get the summoner wars master set and then an extra hard board and you can support two 1v1 games at the same time. Two 1v1 games of Summoner Wars is better than 1 1v1v1v1 game of Smash Up.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So me and my girlfriend are quite enjoying mice and mystics and are halfway through with the campaign. What would be a good game to pick up afterwards?
A coop dungeon crawler with deeper combat and character progression would be great.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bobvonunheil posted:

(sometimes even if the runner hasn't even done a run)

SEA Source actually requires a run.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Say a dude wants to get down on some axis and allies, if you have opinions on playing this particular game which version do you find the most satisfying to play? I've only ever played regular or possibly Europe. I didn't find out until a few days ago they got all these other versions like pacific {which seems interesting with it's heavier focus on naval warfare/management}.

It depends on how much time you have and what versions you have played.

Did you play the 2010 A&A Europe 1940? Or the 1999 release of A&A Europe?
1940 starts before Germany and Russia are at war, while the older version hinges on Germany rushing for Moscow.

If you've played the 1940 version, definitely get the 1940 Pacific box. You can combine both to form a 1940 Global game. Be warned that it may take about an hour per full turn at the start, when planning is vital and there's a lot of poo poo to do. The board is kinda gigantic: 70 inches wide by 32 inches high (178 x 81 cm). I find this Global game very satisfying, because the Axis have more time to plan their eventual attacks on the USA/USSR.

If you've only played the old versions of the game and want a world-spanning world war experience, you might be more interested in Axis & Allies 1942. It's on a smaller map and I'm pretty sure it plays a lot faster. I haven't played this version, so can't really comment more on it.

If you're ok with not going global and haven't played it yet, get A&A Europe 1940. It's pretty decent stand-alone, while Pacific 1940 is horribly unbalanced towards Japan without the USA's income on the European board to balance it out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Netrunner became a lot easier to teach when I stopped using Jinteki and started using Haas-Bioroid.

Also, to teach the game, set up a few servers with ice on them, start the runner with some breakers and credits, and teach how runs work. Worry about turn sequence and playing cards after that, it's the structure of runs and accessing cards and play on the board that is a larger hurdle to most people. Everyone can pick up the rest of the actions quickly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

the panacea posted:

So me and my girlfriend are quite enjoying mice and mystics and are halfway through with the campaign. What would be a good game to pick up afterwards?
A coop dungeon crawler with deeper combat and character progression would be great.

Catacombs? :v:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

the panacea posted:

Have you considered role playing games?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

the panacea posted:

So me and my girlfriend are quite enjoying mice and mystics and are halfway through with the campaign. What would be a good game to pick up afterwards? A coop dungeon crawler with deeper combat and character progression would be great.
Hmm. How many people are you playing with, just the two of you?

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I'm going to second what PlaybackJack said about Smash Up. It's a fun game with four people, if you're looking for something light with some good flavor, but it's not very good 1v1. Some cards that are based around hitting multiple factions are pretty useless, some cards that about denying other factions become more powerful. Plus, because of how the scoring is set up, it is often advantageous in a two-player game to not really contest the opponent, which makes it more of a race than a brawl.

I've not played Summoner Wars, so I can't comment on that.

For 1v1 games, I was recently introduced to Claustrophobia, which is fun. I also just picked up Netrunner for a friend for Christmas, but haven't played it yet.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Serotonin posted:

Castle panic and Hey That's My Fish are enjoyed by my 6yr old. And me truth be told.

Awesome, thank you for the kid games recommendations!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'm going to second what PlaybackJack said about Smash Up.

The other thing I'll note about Smash Up is there seems to be balance issues. We've had Zombies win every game so far, and looking through a few threads that seems to be the pattern most people are seeing. They're not "unbeatable" or something - this isn't some bizarre absolute - but the balance problem does seem pretty clear cut, and pretty glaring even from the first play.

It's not Magic - the cards have no casting cost, there's a limit of one creature and one "other spell" per turn, and combat is "area majority" rather than direct... but the faction decks follow Magic archetypes and function in largely the same ways. Zombies is weenie re-animator, and has a mini Living Death, mini Yawgmoth's Will, and lots of Regrowth. If you combine it with Robots (which lets you chain together playing multiple minions), you end up casting half your graveyard every second turn (which wins you the game in very short order). Or there's plenty of other combos with varying Base abilities and other races.

Those combos tend to be less powerful with other factions - but the core problem is just "getting stuff back from the graveyard" is too good here. Within each faction, the cards are not balanced with each other at all. The big creatures are also the ones with big abilities; they're just plain better than the small creatures with generally sad abilities (again, spells don't have varying costs or something, you just play them) - and both are usually better than the bulk of the action cards (which tend to have narrow or small effects - like moving an enemy creature from one Base to another).

Zombies actions, instead of being the weakest cards like they are in other factions, are the graveyard retrievers - effectively letting them continuously replay their best cards. By comparison, Alien actions are all "sorcery speed unsummon", Dinosaur actions are typically "sorcery speed Giant Growth", Gnome actions are "very sad Counterspell/Disenchant", Pirates and Ninjas get fairly sad combat tricks. Wizards get to draw, which is only as exciting as whatever your other faction has for stuff to do (assuming you don't just draw more draw cards, which you often can't play because of the spell limit).

The other problem with the game is that there's just too much going on. There's very few "vanilla" creatures; everything has some enters or leaves or grows ability, and most of the bases have abilities too. This doesn't make the game more deep or interesting, it makes it less clear and more chaotic.

Smash Up has a lot of promise, and I like a lot of the ideas. The art and components are all excellent (though it's weird they didn't ship with VP tokens, in practice that's fine for me - I don't need any more VP tokens). But they didn't do a good job balancing, and they missed a few important tricks that would have given the game more depth and staying power.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 5, 2012

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

the panacea posted:

Warhammer Quest is what you're looking for, assuming you can deal with the Warhammer theme.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How does Mice and Mystics compare to Descent 2nd ed

My shift key has literally stopped working

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I got two games from my Secret Santa, Quidnose! One of them is Onirim, a really interesting solitaire/cooperative card game. He insisted I should post in this thread with my experiences.

Pictured: my first game, ending in a victory as I found the eighth door with only a few cards to go.

Onirim uses a deck of 76 cards. There are eight doors (one of each color), a bunch of nightmares, and the rest are labyrinth cards, representing the various rooms you have to explore while searching for the exit to a dream realm. The victory condition is to collect all eight doors before you run out of cards (in a two-player game, each player must collect one of each color).

The core gameplay is very simple: you play labyrinth cards out of your five-card hand in a row. The one rule is that you can't play a card with the same symbol (sun, moon, key) twice in a row. If you play three cards of the same color in the labyrinth, you can search your deck for a door of that color and then shuffle your deck. If you draw a door, you can discard a key from your hand and keep that door, or you have to shuffle it back into the deck.

Your main opposition in the basic game are the nightmare cards. Drawing a nightmare card means you have to choose one of four things (all of which hinder your progress and deplete your resources). The choices offered by nightmares are the key things that can keep you from winning; make the wrong choice, and you might run out of cards and be trapped forever!

It is fun to play, in a shuffling-cards about, light problem-solving sort of way. I enjoy it. I've yet to actually lose a game, but I've had a few close calls. That's why it's good that there are three little mini-expansions included with the game. Each introduces a new card type to hinder your progress; you can play with any or all of them. I'm excited to try them out once I have the Nightmare effects memorized.

Also, you shuffle your deck a lot; once a turn on average. Don't play this game if you can't shuffle properly.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
What is the best way to sell lightly used board games? I officially give up on getting my wife to play any of these games with me and we need money more than we need me annoying her to spend time with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SA Mart, Board Game Geek and Ebay are the usual.

• Locked thread