Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

I stand corrected. I'm pissed because I just discovered this group and I'll never get to see them live. Such a good loving CD.

I discovered them like 2 weeks after he'd passed. "Woods 5" wasn't even out yet, I think. Also, get "Woods 4" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Checking that Woods of Ypres album mentioned above. This is pretty great, it actually reminds me of Cynic a lot if that encourages anyone.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

cheapandugly posted:

That would have been awesome to know on Sunday. How was it?

loving incredible. Played The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull and Ouroboros is Broken, which is what I was really crossing my fingers for. Shirts were sold out by the time I got there, but I picked up a record instead. The Body opened up and completely pummeled me. The pressure was wicked, and I kept getting distracted by watching a soda bottle dance around on top of their rig.

Since you missed Earth, you can still catch Sunn O))). They play in town on the 16th, Bellingham on the 15th.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Went to a show last night that I will never forget. OM loving killed it. Al is an amazing musician and Rob A.A. Lowe fit so well into the dynamic. There was a part where Emil left the stage and Rob and Al did a super slowed and stripped down version of Bhima's Theme (I think) with vocal embellishments by Rob for like 20 minutes before Emil came back. It was AWESOME.

Also at that show was hometown heroes Across Tundras who are a doomy/psych/Earth-esque western band. Mikey and Joey from Hellbender just joined them. They were fantastic.

Also, protip: Do not try to do a light show during OM. Al gets PISSED.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Went to a show last night that I will never forget. OM loving killed it. Al is an amazing musician and Rob A.A. Lowe fit so well into the dynamic. There was a part where Emil left the stage and Rob and Al did a super slowed and stripped down version of Bhima's Theme (I think) with vocal embellishments by Rob for like 20 minutes before Emil came back. It was AWESOME.

Also at that show was hometown heroes Across Tundras who are a doomy/psych/Earth-esque western band. Mikey and Joey from Hellbender just joined them. They were fantastic.

Also, protip: Do not try to do a light show during OM. Al gets PISSED.

Whatup, I was there too, maybe I met you. Missed Across Tundras which is such a bummer because I've known the Hellbender guys for years and haven't caught a show in awhile. While I'm on the subject, if you are into really psyched-out doom, check out Hellbender's page for some free tracks. Cosmolux and Occult 45 are choice picks.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

niff posted:

Checking that Woods of Ypres album mentioned above. This is pretty great, it actually reminds me of Cynic a lot if that encourages anyone.

If you liked 5, get 4 aka the green album. Also loving fantastic. I can't stop talking about this band to my friends, I'm beginning to sound like a loving shill.

A couple of things to note:

1: Woods 4 is loving long. Really loving long, 78 minutes. It doesn't start with the balls out rocking numbers (like Suicide Cargoload), and the first five songs are kind of dense and hard to work through. Not because they are bad but because holy poo poo this album is an emotional drainer.

2: I don't know if this is a concept album or not. It's most certainly not in the traditional sense of the word like Tommy, The Wall, Operation Mindcrime or Crack the Skye. But there is a definite arc or story line the songs convey, ending with an emotional climax and resolution. So while the songs aren't about the same character, they all fit into a story. Maybe it's just rare that I stumble across albums with such a clear theme, but I'm really digging it.

3: Davids voice. It's Danzig meets Peter Steele meets the guy from My Dying Bride. This dude has a deep loving voice, and he's not afraid to use it to actually sing. His screams and growls are great too, and there is a perfect mix of the two on this record. I really appreciate being able to hear a song and understand the lyrics on the first go.

4: Regarding the lyrics: It's a crap shoot. You can tell this band was rapidly evolving with each record because Five's lyrics are leagues beyond this. What saves the songs is the delivery. To be blunt without David's voice a couple of the songs would have been embarrassing to listen to.

5: The record fuses funeral doom, regular doom and black metal together and it works well. It doesn't suffer from overproduction. Instruments like pianos, cellos and violins are present but they are only used briefly to enhance a song. They are not just thrown in to create a sonic cacaphony in the "throw poo poo at the wall" style of production.

All in all this is a fantastic album. Almost all the tracks are great, and it's hard to recommend a "best" track because they lose a little of their shine out of sequence and context. However there is one that stands above the rest in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsE933MmEl8

The third to last song is the climax of the album and shows off what makes the album great. It's a seven minute sprawling ode to being alone, it's heavy as poo poo and you really need to listen to this.

Edit: An easier song to just sit down and listen to is Suicide Cargoload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkpGdtQEhs

Perfect example of the lyrics being mediocre but saved by David's voice and the instruments. Sort of reminds me of old Mastodon and Crobar in parts.

As a side note, I had a hard time getting into doom and black metal due to the vocals. This band would be perfect as a baby's first doom metal band. I'd give this to someone to listen to before, say, Ahab.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 28, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Merry loving christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgfLvqp-xI

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Silver Brushes posted:

Whatup, I was there too, maybe I met you. Missed Across Tundras which is such a bummer because I've known the Hellbender guys for years and haven't caught a show in awhile. While I'm on the subject, if you are into really psyched-out doom, check out Hellbender's page for some free tracks. Cosmolux and Occult 45 are choice picks.

Instant points in my book for free downloads.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Apparently High on Fire is recording a live show tonight at the Bowery and tomorrow at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Kongh's new stuff is loving rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lLMuCPHxUE

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just heard "Sleepy Silver Door" by Dead Meadow in a Miller Lite commercial, which got me thinking - what's the strangest situation where you've heard some stoner/doom?

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
I guess it's not really that strange, but I did hear the beginning of "Vinum Sabbathi" in The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, which gave me the chance to introduce a friend to Electric Wizard :3:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

I've always loved Monster Magnet: a blend of Doom, Stoner, and 'Space' rock.

If you're unfamiliar with them, theyre kinda like a more drugged out fu-manchu. They cant concentrate on those slow heavy riffs for very long before the drugs/ADD kick in and they shift gears mid song, kind of like sabbath used to do.

Dopes to infinity, Spine of God, and SuperJudge are their best work.

Take a deep breath of whatever, put on some headphones, and listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrxylWs_Us

Also check out this crazy cover of Sabbath's Into the Void off of the NIB II tribute album so many good tracks on that one but this is an alltime favorite. Its a little unconventional....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z8cW4UzrQ

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Juaguocio posted:

I just heard "Sleepy Silver Door" by Dead Meadow in a Miller Lite commercial, which got me thinking - what's the strangest situation where you've heard some stoner/doom?

I saw this Toyota commercial exactly one time. It features Fu Manchu's Mongoose.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hi I have not listened to this sort of stuff in a while but used to and lately have been obsessing over ISIS's Celestial and Panopticon as well as Pelican's first self-titled EP. Wondering if someone can recommend some new bands or albums I might like. I tried listening to some more recent Pelican today (City of Echoes) and really didn't like it. I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 5, 2012

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Hi I have not listened to this sort of stuff in a while but used to and lately have been obsessing over ISIS's Celestial and Panopticon as well as Pelican's first self-titled EP. Wondering if someone can recommend some new bands or albums I might like. I tried listening to some more recent Pelican today (City of Echoes) and really didn't like it. I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Whenever anyone wants something similar to Isis, I recommend Rosetta without hesitation.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah you can't go wrong with Rosetta. Galilean Satellites is basically exactly what you want.
Intronaut also owns.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Rwake is also good.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Russian Circles are similar in style to Pelican but I dig them a whole lot more. Station (and more specifically the song Harper Lewis) is a great starting point, but you could follow them in order of release (Enter, Station, Geneva, Empros) and get a great feel for the band's evolution.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thanks guys I will check out Rosetta and Rwake!

Re: Russian Circles, I saw them live many years ago and thought they were awesome, then bought Enter and was really kind of underwhelmed. Somehow the album just sounded a bit bland even though they were so good live. But I will check out some of their later albums and see if that's changed.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Earwicker posted:

I assume if you're into Isis you're already into Neurosis...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

I assume if you're into Isis you're already into Neurosis...

Absolutely. Souls at Zero was one of my favorite albums in high school. Have not listened to them in many years but I had to put on Chronology of Survival thanks to this post!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

I love Somewhere Along the Highway by Cult of Luna for both of those things. Grand in scope and really well paced and extremely evocative - though I'll admit it took a fair bit of listening before it really sunk in. Their other works are still really good though this one is a personal favourite. Still, nothing in the genre hits me quite as hard as Pelican's "Mammoth" even if it isn't the most nuanced songwriting.

Speaking of! Luna have a new one out soon, here's one of the songs from it - http://soundcloud.com/indierecordings/cult-of-luna-i-the-weapon

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Earwicker posted:

Going to throw a couple out here. Neurosis' later work reminds me more of Isis, the irony being of that Isis was pretty much a direct copy of Neurosis at first.

Check out YOB-The Great Cessastion and Cult of Luna--Somewhere along the highway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

rxcowboy posted:

YOB-The Great Cessastion

Yes yes yes yes yes

The first track, "Burning the Altar," is one of my favorite heavy songs, and the last track, "The Great Cessation," is one of my favorite pretty songs.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
The riff around 7:50 of Burning the Altar is the second heaviest thing I've ever heard.

The actual heaviest thing I've ever heard is the "riff" around 10:00 on The Mental Tyrant from The Unreal Never Lived. Play it on a good system and it feels like the oxygen is being sucked out of the room.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Earwicker posted:

If you like early Pelican, then I would recommend Bongripper, another instrumental sludge metal band.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

bleedbackwards posted:

The riff around 7:50 of Burning the Altar is the second heaviest thing I've ever heard.

The actual heaviest thing I've ever heard is the "riff" around 10:00 on The Mental Tyrant from The Unreal Never Lived. Play it on a good system and it feels like the oxygen is being sucked out of the room.

I'd definitely be interested in reading more PYF sludge/stoner riffs. For me the ending of Bongzilla's Keefmaster is heavy as gently caress. The production on this album makes it sound so thick.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I still stick by Buried At Sea's Migration being the heaviest thing ever.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gonna throw in a recommendation for Amenra. I hear good things about their new album, Mass V, and they were intense as hell when I saw them live.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I checked out Rosetta's Galilean Satellites and loved it so thanks! Will definitely check out more of these bands in the next couple days

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

bleedbackwards posted:

The entirety of Unreal Never Lived is the heaviest song ever. Grasping Air was the first Yob song I ever heard, and it's still my absolute favorite song ever (and up there for most crushing drat riff of all time). Before that I'd been listening to a lot of Moss, and Yob was the perfect "next step" for me.

So yeah, I can also highly recommend Yob.

E: I've been listening to Ahab's The Polymorphess a ton recently thanks to you guys. It's really, really excellent.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2012

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

nomapple posted:

Gonna throw in a recommendation for Amenra. I hear good things about their new album, Mass V, and they were intense as hell when I saw them live.

Mass V is loving killer. It's a bleak record but drat is it good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Earwicker posted:

I checked out Rosetta's Galilean Satellites and loved it so thanks! Will definitely check out more of these bands in the next couple days

It's great because it's like 3 albums you can listen to according to mood.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Sword are playing the El Rey in Los Angeles on Dec. 12th. I haven't had a chance to see them live yet, should be a fun show. I can't stop listening to Warp Riders.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'd definitely be interested in reading more PYF sludge/stoner riffs. For me the ending of Bongzilla's Keefmaster is heavy as gently caress. The production on this album makes it sound so thick.

First, I'm glad I'm not the only one here who has a huge loving sludge boner for "Burning the Altar." I knew today was going to be a brutal day at work, so I blasted that on my headphones on my walk in. I was loving pumped for getting a 12 hour rear end kicking.

Regarding riffs, Neurosis is always good for a couple. I like the last couple of minutes of "Stones from the Sky." The whole song is great, but when the vocals die out the instruments swell. The volume increases and decreases, there are interruptions by static, the feeling is that the guitars are fighting this void if that makes any sense. You know they will lose but they fight anyway.

On a more straight ahead stoner-rock riff, "Monte Gargano" by Truckfighters is just slick as poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Earwicker posted:

I am looking for something with really good atmosphere and composition.

Speaking of stuff in that corner of the genre, gotta mention Fall of Efrafa. Which is all about militant atheism, veganism and Watership Down.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

ruddiger posted:

The Sword are playing the El Rey in Los Angeles on Dec. 12th. I haven't had a chance to see them live yet, should be a fun show. I can't stop listening to Warp Riders.

I just saw them a few weeks ago. It was a great show but they don't play much Warp Riders for some reason. Easily my favorite album of theirs.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Woven Hand released a new album and it's good and yes David Eugene Edwards belongs in this here thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

m-o-o-n posted:

Woven Hand released a new album and it's good and yes David Eugene Edwards belongs in this here thread.

I love how metal fans have claimed 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand as one of their own. I haven't really checked out his Woven Hand material thoroughly yet, I love Secret South and Low Estate though, I love Secret South and Low Estate though, is there any album I should start with?

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2012