Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'd drive the poo poo out of that IQ every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Das Volk posted:

My wife and I stayed at the MGM Skylofts for our anniversary and we got to choose between this and the Rolls Ghost for transportation. The Ghost really is a tarted-up 7 series; the Maybach may be ugly and depreciate like a rock, but I'll take those seats next time.
Goddamit I did the same and was all excited for a maybach but got a 20 year old cadillac instead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

gvibes posted:

Goddamit I did the same and was all excited for a maybach but got a 20 year old cadillac instead.

Perversely, I'd probably be excited for the 20 year old Caddy. :v:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
This was on the back of my friends wheelchair van for awhile.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

drgitlin posted:

I imagine the danger is being told "sorry sir, your warranty is no longer valid and we can't say your car is safe anymore because you didn't replace the wheels at 10000 miles like we told you to" if you don't do it. It seems that most of these cars get sold rather than have people worry about that.

You don't have to purchase new wheels every 10k miles. Every fourth tire change, you have to get them X-Rayed for hairline fractures caused by driving at high speeds. No cracks? You're good. If they find one, you need a replacement wheel. The X-Ray service costs $45,000.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Devyl posted:

You don't have to purchase new wheels every 10k miles. Every fourth tire change, you have to get them X-Rayed for hairline fractures caused by driving at high speeds. No cracks? You're good. If they find one, you need a replacement wheel. The X-Ray service costs $45,000.

Theoretically speaking, could you just take it into a normal Xray place where you get your body x-rays and have them pop it in the machine and have a look at it with that? Or is it a different kind of X-ray?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Shimrod posted:

Theoretically speaking, could you just take it into a normal Xray place where you get your body x-rays and have them pop it in the machine and have a look at it with that? Or is it a different kind of X-ray?

X rays are x rays. The problem would be convincing a medical place to shoot one of your wheel. That and spotting microfractures on the films, unless you are trained to read them.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
A normal x-ray machine is not designed to find tiny cracks in metal parts, so probably not. They are going to be inspecting with a machine more suited to inspecting welds.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

jonathan posted:

I'm comparing the current top speed record holding street car to a previous one.

I think it's bland compared to the Aventador, Pagani, Shelby A/C Cobra etc. If I saw it on the street I'd stop and glance at it, but I wouldn't drool over it like I would a Lambo.

Of course that's my opinion of it. Perhaps it would change if I got to drive one.

Here's how I look at it. The original Lamborghini Countach was a car that was 6.6 seconds 0-60mph and 14.1 seconds in the quarter mile. The last ones were about a second and a half quicker to 60 and half a second in the quarter mile. They certainly aren't luxurious and fantastically unreliable. There are a lot of fairly pedestrian cars that will run with that thing, and for $25k, you could buy a used C6 Corvette that would absolutely smoke it in any quantitative way you want to measure it.

It doesn't change the fact that I still want one.

Twenty years from now, if the Veyron is as outclassed -- and it should be -- and the luxury and performance are simply average compared to the cars of the day, I'll probably have zero interest in owning one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mutt2jeff posted:

A normal x-ray machine is not designed to find tiny cracks in metal parts, so probably not. They are going to be inspecting with a machine more suited to inspecting welds.
In theory I'd get them done in our NDT lab at work (in practice, of course, I wouldn't need to have a job if I could afford a Veyron), but $45k for crack inspecting the wheels is obscene. You should be able to do it for a tenth of that and still make a whopping profit.

einTier posted:

Here's how I look at it. The original Lamborghini Countach was a car that was 6.6 seconds 0-60mph and 14.1 seconds in the quarter mile. The last ones were about a second and a half quicker to 60 and half a second in the quarter mile. They certainly aren't luxurious and fantastically unreliable. There are a lot of fairly pedestrian cars that will run with that thing, and for $25k, you could buy a used C6 Corvette that would absolutely smoke it in any quantitative way you want to measure it.

It doesn't change the fact that I still want one.

Twenty years from now, if the Veyron is as outclassed -- and it should be -- and the luxury and performance are simply average compared to the cars of the day, I'll probably have zero interest in owning one.
This puts it very well. I'd always want to own a Miura, an F40, an F355, an XJ220, an F1, several previous-generation supercars, but I see no appeal in the Veyron other than the thumping top speed. Even though it's technologically impressive, and it's amazing what it can do (and do as a comfortable "normal" car to use), it just doesn't do anything for me.

It doesn't help that there seems to be a noticeable number of them owned as pure status symbols, rather than as drivers' cars.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Although optional, the X-Ray test is a bit of leverage (and smarts) for Bugatti(VW) to keep themselves in the clear in case of a high speed failure involving the wheel fracturing at extreme speed. If someone were to drive a Veyron to 250 mph and have a wheel shatter due to cracks, that's a potential lawsuit. This way, Bugatti can simply state that the person involved in the accident didn't follow suggested maintenance, so it's not their fault.

*edit* Awesome wheels. I love these. Are they stock?

Devyl fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 6, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
As some may have guessed, I come from a family of car nuts. One of my uncles unfortuantly passed away this week and the funeral was today. I now present to you some of the cars he personally restored from rusted wrecks. The owners bought them out for the funeral convoy.

If anyone knows what they are, I'd love to know.

His second to last car.

I was in his workshop when he built the radiator grill from a Sockington worth of rust, painstakingly with solder and metal, saving everything he could (which became quite a lot)

Got a few more to go once my connection is less rubbish

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Giblet Plus! posted:

It's really a good solution and good engineering. You're just freaking out because you don't like square section tube and don't understand the mechanics of the motion.

The axle wrap itself isn't the problem. The problem is that the axle wrap messes up the pinion angle of the axle, and therefore, the driveline angles.

Wow, you made a lot of random assumptions there. I actually went to school for suspension design, and as I would probably not have done it in square tubing, that had nothing to do with my issue with this. My only reasoning behind this is the geometry of it. And, if you think this is a good design, you have not 1 clue how a leaf spring is supposed to work. A system like that transfers well more than half of the leaf springs work to the section opposite the ladder bar (We'll call it a ladder bar in this case), the section towards the rear of the axle, and highly limits the effectiveness of the leaf pack section in front of the axle. I love watching people get highly defensive about poo poo they don't understand.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

As some may have guessed, I come from a family of car nuts. One of my uncles unfortuantly passed away this week and the funeral was today. I now present to you some of the cars he personally restored from rusted wrecks. The owners bought them out for the funeral convoy.

If anyone knows what they are, I'd love to know.

His second to last car.

That first (dark green) green one is a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe.

The maroon one looks like a 1930s Model B Ford V8 Roadster

the third, (light green) one is a 1953 Ford customline

And what that, I'm all sleuthed out.
I know nothing about them, but used to play "guess the car" games in other forums and needed something to do for a while.

Edit: Stuff it, I know it's going to be easy, (as it's going to be a 1930s ford), so I'll do the last one.
The last one is a 1937 Ford Cabriolet.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 6, 2012

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
From my dad, the very knowledgable Kit Foster:

quote:

All Fords, from the top 1939, 1932, 1953 and 1937. Looks to be Australia, probably New South Wales, judging by the license plates.
I didn't even tell him that CT was a criminal.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Devyl posted:

*edit* Awesome wheels. I love these. Are they stock?

No it's these: http://www.purwheels.com/collection/three-piece-portfolio/design-4our/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Poing posted:

From my dad, the very knowledgable Kit Foster:

I didn't even tell him that CT was a criminal.

I didn't even see this post and I came back to edit for the last one, oh well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Got a few more to go once my connection is less rubbish

Condolences on his passing, he was clearly a man of taste (and some skill with that grille rebuild).

The rest of you, less bitching, more AI poo poo!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Fo3 posted:

That first (dark green) green one is a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe.

The maroon one looks like a 1930s Model B Ford V8 Roadster

the third, (light green) one is a 1953 Ford customline

And what that, I'm all sleuthed out.
I know nothing about them, but used to play "guess the car" games in other forums and needed something to do for a while.

Edit: Stuff it, I know it's going to be easy, (as it's going to be a 1930s ford), so I'll do the last one.
The last one is a 1937 Ford Cabriolet.

What kind of money do you figure is involved in getting a car to this level of restoration? I'm trying to justify why I'm building a bug and not an early ford/chevy.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Spotted this in the car park at work:

Esprit Turbo, from the license plate. I couldn't get over how low it was. Didnt come past my hips. (I'm 6'2)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

What kind of money do you figure is involved in getting a car to this level of restoration? I'm trying to justify why I'm building a bug and not an early ford/chevy.

Don't ask me, I'm just an idiot from overprice land (Australia), where these cars could cost 50K.
But hopefully others see your question, maybe Poing would know or could find out for you?

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
Riding through "Gamla stan" in Stockholm on a snomobile:

https://vimeo.com/55013936

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Budget Monty posted:

A system like that transfers well more than half of the leaf springs work to the section opposite the ladder bar (We'll call it a ladder bar in this case), the section towards the rear of the axle, and highly limits the effectiveness of the leaf pack section in front of the axle.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you clarify? Did you see my previous post explaining the full setup? Because I half-suspect that you're still assuming the forward section of the ladder bar is fixed to the frame with a single joint.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
:stare: It's like the cars I used to draw in 5th grade are real and even better than I ever could've thought!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I think you start at 30K, depending on the base. Every car by the time Don got to them rated at least 7 on the Sockington scale, with close to 60-70 years of wear and tear added - you are looking at a lot of parts that if you can even get them anymore (NONE of those cars have reproduction parts where it could be avoided, they are all OEM) wont be cheap and a lot of hard work to restore the parts that can be saved. Plsu the amount of man hours required - the two best threads to appreciate the kind of work required is the 1950's Ford van thread and of course Mooecow.

Buuuuuut unlike those two, my Uncle was a professional panel beater since he was 17 so you get 30+ years of experience per hour to pay for as well

Plus you have to be highly patient - some of the projects sat for a year while parts were found. As mentioned, reproduction parts where avoided meant a lot of time just waiting for parts to pop up. One of those cars sat for 5 years at one point for that reason - think it was for doors on one of the cars I havent posted yet.

The green 1940 Coupe was his own car for some time before it was sold to fund his last project and won a slew of awards at car shows - to get to the level of that car took 10 years and probably close to 100K with man hours included. There's about five more cars to post yet

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This makes me feel better. Once everything is said and done, my 58 bug will probably have 250 hours of my time sunk in it, and I'm guessing 10-15 grand. Anyone who rebuilds a car for profit is out of their mind.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Cat Terrist posted:

The owners bought them out for the funeral convoy.

That's honestly the best kind of tribute he could have ever asked for. If those pieces of art are any indication, he was a good man.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

This makes me feel better. Once everything is said and done, my 58 bug will probably have 250 hours of my time sunk in it, and I'm guessing 10-15 grand. Anyone who rebuilds a car for profit is out of their mind.

Pretty much. My uncle did make a good living out of it but you are looking at clients who spend tens of thousands for results and are just not interested at reclaiming much at all because...... that's not the point. These cars are loved and driven by guys who simply do it because it's their hobby.

The Customline I think could well be single owner too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, I went into it knowing I'd never recoupe my time or money. Otherwise I'd have bought someone else's money pit and let them eat the loss.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone who rebuilds a car for profit is out of their mind.

I think it could depend on the car. You could restore a 1965 mustang coupe or a 1965 mustang Shelby for roughly the same money. But one is gonna be worth a lot more in the end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I think it could depend on the car. You could restore a 1965 mustang coupe or a 1965 mustang Shelby for roughly the same money. But one is gonna be worth a lot more in the end.

Have a look at what cars go for the big dollars - they arent the restored ones, no matter how good or how original the parts list is ESPECIALLY a limited run rare one. For the Shelby to get dollars, it needs to be 100% original and in good condition. Next step down is 100% original but restored using original parts. So the restore will cost you say 30K but also be worth 20% less. Use replacement parts and the value drops again.

The 65 base model would have better parts availibilty without the Shelby tax so the costs I think might be somewhat lower too.

If you start with a true basket case to restore (Think Mooecow or the the cars my uncle worked with) then to get any decent money the work HAS to be bloody good. The '40 my uncle owned did get sold for a good sum but look at how good it was - you arent paying for the car, you are paying for the craftmanship. That's what you need to achieve.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Esprit Turbo, from the license plate. I couldn't get over how low it was. Didnt come past my hips. (I'm 6'2)

Everything is right about this. I LOVE the Esprit. It's the perfect supercar body shape.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

jonathan posted:

The Veyron is neat because it's a 1000hp car with a factory warranty.

From a performance standpoint it's a top speed monster but the weight keeps it from being great anywhere else.
Yeah even with all that CF. I wonder what makes up most of the weight? The engine?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Gunbus posted:

Some times we get neat things at work. I never realized that these have a radiator and pump system just for the diff. First one I have been able to get up close to.

CLK63 Black? One of my alltime favorite AMG models.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AirRaid posted:

I see these a lot in FL, and a friend of my wife's owns a BRG V8. I didn't realize you can get them so cheap, you can get a nice one for under 30k easy but I have no clue what they cost to maintain. Anyone know more about them? IIRC the early four banger turbos weren't reliable but I could have that backwards.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dunno, but one shows up to my work parking every so often during the summer. It's a really pretty car though the interior is not what I expected.

All I know about the Turbo is that it has a PRV engine.

e: Apparently the earliest years of the NA Esprit have a dry sump. Wow!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This was an article posted on The Onion today, and I think we can all relate to it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/38yearold-little-boy-posts-picture-of-fast-car-he,30631/?ref=auto

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

b0nes posted:

Yeah even with all that CF. I wonder what makes up most of the weight? The engine?

My guess would be the turbos, all the fluids, the 10 radiators, the wide wheels, sound deadening. Everything just adds up quick when you need materials thay can handle the power and the speed. The engine and gearbox weigh 540kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Little late from the other jacked up cars, but I thought this Hillman was awesome.