Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireCar posted:

I hope someone with a fast connection is seeding this

Uploading from a 100 megabit connection as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry. It got delayed a few days by a dead PC...

Hey, don't get cocky, it's gonna get rocky when you get release whiners whose Japanese ain't grokky--NOW DUCK.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Hey, don't get cocky, it's gonna get rocky when you get release whiners whose Japanese ain't grokky--NOW DUCK.

DUCK!

pre:
          Cool
          Good
U Postin' Bad !
          Awful

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Explanations for some of the rap references Arino made. Guess I should spoiler these?

"Famicon Wars in stores soon!"
From a Full Metal Jacket-inspired TV ad for a game. They used actual US marines. The full cadence goes: "Famicom Wars is coming / This is a great simulation / You'll be hooked / You'll be hooked / Don't tell your mother"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG6MTyGM_0U

"Bad guys are more or less my friends!" "Born in Osaka!"
Lyrics from "Grateful Days" by Dragon Ash, a very popular hip-hop group. "Osaka" is originally "Tokyo."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skTsn0XS4PM
The famous lines he referenced start at 1:50.

"Yeah, fo sho!"
From "DA.YO.NE" by EAST END X YURI, a hit from the 80's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhF_HQRuufE Specifically the 2:26 mark.
Had some trouble with this line because "da yo ne" can be translated into several different things, but ultimately went with something that fits within the actual song and indicates Arino is trying to sound like a rapper.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 6, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
And references like these are why I'm content to let zari-gani and the other more Japan-fluent people do the translating here. Those would go straight over my head if I did this stuff. :shobon:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAKcECSXy98

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry. It got delayed a few days by a dead PC...

Yeah I know! You gotta believe!

Duck duck turn!

Fix fix, pose!

pre:
          Cool
U Postin' Good!
          Bad 
          Awful

BTA
Sep 30, 2012
I'd love to see Arino play Sweet Home, since it's an excellent game that I've actually played for once (if only very recently), but I don't know how well that'd fit the show. Even if it's not that, though, the subtitle alone has me interested.

And wow, PaRappa came out fast! Thanks for the great work, as always!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Parappa episode was fantastic. Thanks!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I really hope Arino plays Incredible Crisis someday because that game looks bananas and I want to see more of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-incredible-crisis/17-1177/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

One of my absolute Favorite Songs Ever, no joke.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

I also like this mashup. ...er, wait.

Random Stranger posted:

pre:
          Cool
          Good
U Postin' Bad !
          Awful

TRY AGAIN!!
X YES O NO

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

Arino, you cappin' awful.

unsupervised
Sep 2, 2011
REC ON!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Post, Reply, it's all in the mind.

I'm about halfway through this episode and it's great. I also agree that I really hope he plays Incredible Crisis someday, because that game is flat out insane. The Giant Bomb quick look of it didn't get to the Ferris Wheel level of Taneo's segment which was so disappointing because that needs to be seen.

-holy crap that air horn sound effect when he clears stage 2.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I never saw anyone fail in the first stage of Parappa. Kacho on!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Speaking of influences to Resident Evil like Sweet Home, I'd love to see Arino challenge any of the games from the Alone in the Dark trilogy.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I guess it's been a while since I played PaRappa but that game certainly gets silly in some places.

Though I don't remember loving up so horribly. I think I beat it in a day when I rented it. :v:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This was a good and fun episode. I did find the English dialog distracting, since I tried harder to understand that than I tried to pay attention to Arino and his crew. I can't have been the only one?

Or am I postin' awful.

Citanu541
Dec 1, 2008
Wow! Just finished the episode. I had seen last week that Arino had played PaRappa and got excited that I may get to see the episode in a few months, but this was more than I could have ever asked for. Thanks so much!

That's not a jab at the translation team, I know you all mad crazy busy, yo.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
The new AD is great. This episode is great. Everything is great. :allears:

Thanks again, team!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Schedule update says that #151 is not Sweet Home, so sorry dudes. In fact I'd be interested if anyone else knows this one. It's Yumemi Yakata no Monogatari for Mega CD, or Mansion of Hidden Souls.

vvv Shoulda known!

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 6, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

rdbbb posted:

Schedule update says that #151 is not Sweet Home, so sorry dudes. In fact I'd be interested if anyone else knows this one. It's Yumemi Yakata no Monogatari for Mega CD, or Mansion of Hidden Souls.

I own it and just dumped the ISO of it yesterday for the sake of gifs. WEIRD. But really cool!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, I've played that game. Weird pick for a challenge, could be funny though.

I wanna say the English release had some dude being all "I don't wanna be a butterfly!!:supaburn:" with normal bad voice acting of the era. I can't remember if that's a spoiler or not so I tagged it just in case.

There was a Saturn release of this as well, I think. Is Mega CD a first for the series? They should have him play Space Adventure Cobra.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 6, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Oh holy poo poo the Barcode Battle being a parody of Liar Game is AMAZING.

vv Yes, it does, provided you press them in some semblance of a rhythm to the established beat of the song, and it will allow you to reach "COOL" (which does crazy poo poo to the stage). I know because I was hopelessly addicted to Parappa.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 6, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just watched (or in this case, rewatched) the Parappa episode. You guys made what I consider one of the best GCCX episodes even better. Thank you again for your awesome work. I know I've thanked you guys a bunch, but you more than deserve it for making the show more popular even outside of SA! :)

Also, does hitting the buttons outside of the button prompts to the rhythm of the song actually help? I saw Arino's score going up after he started doing that, so I assume it does help and maybe even allows you to hit COOL. I used to button mash my way through the game, but Arino seemed to do it in a more controlled fashion that actually allowed him to beat it in one sitting (which I'm kinda jealous of since I remember taking a lot longer than that to beat it back in the day).

Heti posted:

I really hope Arino plays Incredible Crisis someday because that game looks bananas and I want to see more of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-throwback-incredible-crisis/17-1177/
I totally remember that game just by the name... I never finished it (I don't even remember where I stopped playing), but I would love to play it again someday and hopefully see it to the end.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh man, I've played that game. Weird pick for a challenge, could be funny though.
Having played the game as well I agree wholeheartedly. It is one heck of a weird pick, especially given how short the game actually is when you start making progress. Then again this is Arino we are talking about so progress is perhaps the most unlikely thing to occur.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Obeast posted:

Also, does hitting the buttons outside of the button prompts to the rhythm of the song actually help? I saw Arino's score going up after he started doing that, so I assume it does help and maybe even allows you to hit COOL. I used to button mash my way through the game, but Arino seemed to do it in a more controlled fashion that actually allowed him to beat it in one sitting (which I'm kinda jealous of since I remember taking a lot longer than that to beat it back in the day).
Yeah totally. Parappa has pretty strict timing by modern rhythm game standards, but it gives you a lot of leeway to essentially freestyle as long as you're on rhythm. Cool mode isn't even unlocked until you beat the game, and even then you have to completely destroy your teacher to get into it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh man, the Parappa episode went from being pretty alright to amazing in like 2 seconds in the last chunk. So good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grawl posted:

I never saw anyone fail in the first stage of Parappa. Kacho on!

Hi there. Until I got PaRappa a couple of weeks ago for the PSP I never beat level one. And I owned it when it first came out.

I still can't beat level two...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I totally lost it at Rappin' Arino. Thank you for the translation!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Yeah totally. Parappa has pretty strict timing by modern rhythm game standards, but it gives you a lot of leeway to essentially freestyle as long as you're on rhythm. Cool mode isn't even unlocked until you beat the game, and even then you have to completely destroy your teacher to get into it.

Cool mode never really made much sense to me. To stay in it, there doesn't seem to be any sort of "rules" as such, at least not any that are spelled out in-game or in the manual (the manual doesn't even mention the "Cool" ranking, if I recall). I made it mostly through a Cool run a while back, and all I could do to stay Cool was mash buttons and use the "modifiers" (holding down L2 and R2 and/or the D-Pad). There didn't seem to be any pattern to it, and I didn't have to stay in rhythm.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

See, I vastly prefer Parappa 2 because it's more lenient, and in a lot of ways, more amazing.

Basically y'all should buy the sequel to this game right straight now. :colbert:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

See, I vastly prefer Parappa 2 because it's more lenient, and in a lot of ways, more amazing.

Basically y'all should buy the sequel to this game right straight now. :colbert:

And in a dissenting opinon, Parappa 2 is piss-easy, boring and the songs fall apart halfway into stage 4 (only to be slightly redeemed with Food Court). The first 3 songs are some of the best in the series though! Everyone should play the first 3 stages of Parappa 2 and then stop.

Or just listen to the first 3 songs and play Um Jammer Lammy instead.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Excuse me - I like Hair Scare. :colbert:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Excuse me - I like Hair Scare. :colbert:

I'm very sorry about your weird brain with the bad tastes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

absolutely anything posted:

And in a dissenting opinon, Parappa 2 is piss-easy, boring and the songs fall apart halfway into stage 4 (only to be slightly redeemed with Food Court). The first 3 songs are some of the best in the series though! Everyone should play the first 3 stages of Parappa 2 and then stop.

Or just listen to the first 3 songs and play Um Jammer Lammy instead.

Yeah I won't disagree with that. People remember and love Parappa 1 because most of the game itself was rather catchy.

Too bad we probably won't see a Parappa HD Collection on PS3 (fixed to accept inputs correctly on a ps3 with LCD tvs!)

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Oh boy my avatar is relevant. I haven't watched an episode in awhile, but I think this calls for such an occasion.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

:D Holy poo poo. I need this game, now. But I can't even afford the $20 or so that it's probably going for.

I especially love the awkward moments with Parappa and PJ. The bromance hug... :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

:D Holy poo poo. I need this game, now. But I can't even afford the $20 or so that it's probably going for.

Hmmm...

I know!

I gotta buy used!