Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happyfacecrazy
Jul 30, 2010

Soft Kitty...
Warm Kitty...
Little Ball of Fur.
Happy Kitty...
Sleepy Kitty...
Purr, Purr, Purrr.
Officially hooked on True Blood! Finished the first season and have the 2nd and 3rd ready to watch. No horrible sparkly teenage vampires this is going back to the older versions with modern twists and I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm thinking of going through Twin peaks again, its been at least 6 years since I watched it and I forgot a lot of the details. I remember the second season really sucked, was it just me at the time? Still worth watching?

Also whats a good sci-fi show to bing on? (my favs are ST:DS9, Firefly and Stargate: Atlantis) I'm down for cheese as long as it is fun and has a good cast of characters (ie. Stargate Atlantis). Farscape seems like good poo poo, is it? A good example of sci fi I cant stand is Battlestar Galactica.

Also any other good more recent recommendations? Has Milch been up to anything since Luck. I was so goddamn bummed when that was cancelled. Any decent HBO offerings? Boardwalk is disappointing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WYA posted:

I'm thinking of going through Twin peaks again, its been at least 6 years since I watched it and I forgot a lot of the details. I remember the second season really sucked, was it just me at the time? Still worth watching?
The middle part of season 2 gets pretty bad, but the first and last part are still great.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Happyfacecrazy posted:

Officially hooked on True Blood! Finished the first season and have the 2nd and 3rd ready to watch. No horrible sparkly teenage vampires this is going back to the older versions with modern twists and I really like it.

The first season was riding on coattails of horrible sparkly vampires. But it does get steadily better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

WYA posted:

Farscape seems like good poo poo, is it?

It's way more than good, it rates with Babylon 5 as one of my all time favorite sci-fi series. Give it a shot. It's definitely fun, though it can get dark and grim, really dark and grim at times. The cast of characters is absolutely fantastic, there's maybe one bad character in the entire show that recurs regularly and even she's not around for too long.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The middle part of season 2 gets pretty bad, but the first and last part are still great.

That's a very fair assessment.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Q_res posted:

It's way more than good, it rates with Babylon 5 as one of my all time favorite sci-fi series. Give it a shot. It's definitely fun, though it can get dark and grim, really dark and grim at times. The cast of characters is absolutely fantastic, there's maybe one bad character in the entire show that recurs regularly and even she's not around for too long.

I've actually never seen Babylon 5 either. Where does it rank in your opinion among the three series I mentioned?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Babylon 5 sucks and Farscape is dumb as poo poo, the episodes I've seen are pretty bad (not Charlie Jade bad, but still bad).

Oh wait I'm not in the Star Trek thread.

Babylon 5 is the best scifi series ever made! JMS is a god and I worship at his altar daily. Farscape is incredible from the first episode and the aliens look amazing.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Babylon 5 sucks and Farscape is dumb as poo poo, the episodes I've seen are pretty bad (not Charlie Jade bad, but still bad).

Oh wait I'm not in the Star Trek thread.

Babylon 5 is the best scifi series ever made! JMS is a god and I worship at his altar daily. Farscape is incredible from the first episode and the aliens look amazing.

So who has the best opinion, star trek nerds or regular TVIV nerds?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Farscapes first 13 episodes or so are really bad.
Once you get to the intellant virus episode is when it starts to get a lot better IMO.
Back when I first started watching I was going to give up on the show until I saw that episode and then decided to stick with it. I'm really glad I did because the show has some really great episodes.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

WYA posted:

So who has the best opinion, star trek nerds or regular TVIV nerds?

Babylon 5 and Farscape are both awesome.

Babylon 5 takes a little while to get going, it doesn't really pick up until the second season, but once it does it casts the first season in a whole new light and retroactively makes it much more interesting. Do not watch the pilot episode, The Gathering, under any circumstances.

Farscape is awesome from the get-go and only gets better as it goes on. Despite the core concept bearing a resemblance to Buck Rogers, it's one of the most original sci-fi stories out there. It's pretty much the anti-Trek in every conceivable way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can also appreciate Farscape on the puppetry alone. It's astoundingly good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm re-watching Jericho and Millenium.

Both were such great shows that ended far too soon, especially Millenium. I had forgotten how awesome Lance Henriksen is, and how genuinely creepy some of the episodes are. It sort of loses its way in the 2nd season, but if memory serves it gets a bit more on track in the 3rd.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 28, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pahuyuth posted:

I'm re-watching Jericho and Millenium.

Both were such great shows that ended far too soon, especially Millenium. I had forgotten how awesome Lance Henriksen is, and how genuinely creepy some of the episodes are. It sort of loses it's way in the 2nd season, but if memory serves it gets a bit more on track in the 3rd.

You are mistaken. Season 2 is the awesome season and goes off the rails in season 3.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

bobkatt013 posted:

You are mistaken. Season 2 is the awesome season and goes off the rails in season 3.

Well darn. I'm only halfway through season 1 but I recalled it going downhill at some point. Oh well, bad Millenium is better than no Millenium.

Also, I took a quick look at the IMDB forums for the show and saw discussion about a possible Millenium feature film. After some quick googling I found mention of it as far back as 3 years ago, then found this more recent article:

Will There Really Be a 'Millenium' Movie?

I'd love to see this happen, but I'm skeptical after the last X-Files film didn't do so well (though I still liked it).

Edit: found a better article - http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90192

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Flatscan posted:

Babylon 5 takes a little while to get going, it doesn't really pick up until the second season, but once it does it casts the first season in a whole new light and retroactively makes it much more interesting. Do not watch the pilot episode, The Gathering, under any circumstances.

Yeah the first season of B5 is kinda off. The large, overarching plot that defines the show isn't really present aside from a couple of episodes which mostly lay down some groundwork and some of the episodes are bad. Like REALLY BAD.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So I just finished season 5 of The Shield.

gently caress man that was some serious heartbreak. I loving knew it was coming but it didn't make it any easier :(

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
I've just binged through the United States of Tara. Toni Collette (The Sixth Sense) is a woman with dissociative identity disorder, and when under stress will transition to one of half a dozen different personalities. Alice is an upper-class 1950s housewife. Buck is a drunk, womanising redneck Vietnam veteran. Shoshana is a therapist. Her family treat this as a normal everyday thing, and address the "alters" by name. Most of the alter egos were really well done.

It did fall off a cliff towards the end. If you stop watching when a new alter ego appears half way through the third season you won't miss much.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I'm still going through the Sopranos, but the advice I was given earlier in the thread really helped, namely that it's more entertaining if you're willing them to die.

I'm halfway through series 5, and I've never wanted characters to get their comeuppance so much! I don't think I've ever seen such an irredeemable character as Tony, but it concerns me that it was so popular - were people rooting for the guy?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. In the same way as people "root" for Walter White. It's entertaining.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes. In the same way as people "root" for Walter White. It's entertaining.

Tony Soprano and Walter White are really the perfect definitions of anti-heros. Yes, they are the protagonists and we are watching their actions directly hoping they get their comeuppance. Think of it as more watching a fictionalized work from the villain's perspective if that helps. It's a refreshing break for idealized heroes that some people enjoy by allowing us to explore the darker side of our humanity (by showing morally questionable characters) with the work being too exploitive about it.

Edit: I've started watching Archer on NetFlix myself, just one episode in so not much to say aside from it REALLY reminds me of all those "adult cartoons" that exploded in the late '90s/early '00s after South Park started airing. As in, adult content with relatively simple animation. It's like a blast from the past.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 4, 2012

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Trying buy Christmas presents for my uncles - both watch tons of TV on DVD. One is really into the "Wallander" series of novels and I want to get him the TV series. Should I get the original Swedish one or the BBC one with Kenneth Branagh? Other uncle's favourite show is Mad Men, I was thinking about starting him on Boardwalk Empire if he hasn't seen it. Other suggestions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The BBC version has way better production values and acting. Plus it has Loki!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I loved farscape once it clicked. It's often referred to as the antithesis of star trek, in that everyone in it hate each other and are greedy, selfish and/or insane. The characters played by puppets are every bit as nuanced and realised as the rest, and the main bad guy that gets introduced in the latter half of the firstseason is among the best, most fleshed out I've seen.

Mix that with an increasingly serialised arc and a rejection of the reset button that plagued star trek, and some truly imaginative scenarios that have permanent consequences later on down the line and you get one of the most unique, entertaining sci fi / fantasy series there is.

I'm going to rewatch it right now!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You forgot the best bromance in the history of Sci Fi television.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Was going to just agree, but then I thought hang on, which one?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cactus posted:

Was going to just agree, but then I thought hang on, which one?

Hurm... John/Harvey, Dargo/John, Scorpius/John?

I just binged my way through Community. It's hard to start, but the show doesn't really find it's pacing until roughly the second season.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

V-Men posted:

Hurm... John/Harvey, Dargo/John, Scorpius/John?

I just binged my way through Community. It's hard to start, but the show doesn't really find it's pacing until roughly the second season.

John/1812

Edit: The wife and I just binged through Bones. There's nothing like a will they/won't they to keep her hooked on a show.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

V-Men posted:

Dargo/John

It's pretty clearly this one, and you are simply wrong for considering other possibilities. :colbert:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Han Nehi posted:

John/1812

Edit: The wife and I just binged through Bones. There's nothing like a will they/won't they to keep her hooked on a show.

If you've got Netflix, you've got a few hundred episodes of proto-Bones (Crossing Jordan) to keep you busy (complete with a couple will they/won't they hooks).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm also just starting Charlie Jade, 3 episodes in. It's intriguing, I think I like it, but it has a really bleak depressing quality to it that is discouraging me from wanting to embark on a long binging session.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Cactus posted:

I'm also just starting Charlie Jade, 3 episodes in. It's intriguing, I think I like it, but it has a really bleak depressing quality to it that is discouraging me from wanting to embark on a long binging session.

It's a little dry, and makes a couple of uncommon choices, but it's a rewarding show. Make sure you enjoy the Beta-universe (our universe) characters and storylines though, as that's where most of the plot happens.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Thinking of trying out Supernatural, is this a good or bad idea?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

The first 5 seasons are amazing and it is still good 6-

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a very good idea. I stopped at the end of season 5, but that's because it seemed like a good ending and I don't have time to follow a lot of shows.

I just finished season 3 of The Wire and I'm waiting very impatiently to get season 4 (the library has a much larger queue for season 4 than it did for season 3). While I wait, I'm hoping to get Treme and start that this weekend. Everything I've read about the show tells me I'll like it. It's kind of interesting how my tastes have changed from fantasy and science fiction to real life and ordinary people stories. Not sure if it's because I'm becoming more sophisticated or just more boring. Probably the latter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I just finished Police Squad. It is a crime that there was only 6 episodes. The three movies sort of make up for it but I wanted more tv episodes.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I just finished the BBC mini-series "the hour". 6 episodes but absolutely fantastic. They are currently airing the 2nd 6 part miniseries now.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I'm just watching through a great British series from 1983 called Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime; it aired here in the States on PBS' Mystery! program and I'm a sucker for that show. Recently reread the short story collection the series is based on and it convinced me to check out the tv series, which I hadn't seen before. It's not as good as the Poirot adaptations with David Suchet, but it's a lot of fun.

Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime: The Affair of the Pink Pearl

This was the first episode of a ten episode series that aired here in the States on PBS’ Mystery! program. It featured James Warwick as Tommy and Francesca Annis as Tuppence. They’re both kind of perfectly cast, though it took me a bit longer to warm up to Annis as Tuppence. Warwick and Annis are charming, witty, sophisticated and they have fabulous chemistry. This adapts the first three stories from Christie’s book: A Fairy in the Flat, A Pot of Tea and The Affair of the Pink Pearl. It’s faithful down to the dialogue being, in some instances, lifted straight out of the text. The roaring 20s design is fantastic and the chemistry helps sell the series. The Blunt Detective Agency is just a front for crime here, not the espionage den that it was in Christie’s original set of stories and the three stories from the book that dealt with the spy game aren’t adapted for this series; all the others are, beginning with this one, which is a lot of fun. I will, of course, be skipping the usual DID I SOLVE IT section in these adaptation reviews, since I’ve read the stories. If the adaptations ever change the solution, I’ll note it; otherwise, I can hardly help, now can I, knowing the solution from the beginning?

Tony Wharmby, David Butler

Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime: Finessing the King

Excellent adaptation on this one. They structure it a bit differently, with the clue about the newspaper headers coming far later in this episode than it does in the story, but everything else is almost exactly as it is in the story. I especially note Peter Blythe as Bingo Hale; as the wrongfully accused (or is he?) he’s wonderfully abrupt, angry and frustrated (and frustrating) in his one scene with our lead characters.

Christopher Hodson, Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime: The House of Lurking Death

To me, it feels odd to have this story so early in the series run. It comes very late in the original short story sequence and the fact that several people die, essentially because the Beresfords screw up, is very shocking when it happens in the story. It seems to me that it needs to come later in the run. Isn’t it going to feel strange when the Beresfords are back to treating the whole thing like a silly romp next episode? Well, perhaps not. But a very creditable adaptation. “I am the flail of the Lord” is just as silly on screen as it is on the page, but the show does what it can.

Christopher Hodson, Jonathan Hales

Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime: The Sunningdale Mystery

This was one of my favorite stories in the book, so I went into it with high hopes. They jettison the central gimmick of the story, which is that Tommy and Tuppence solve the mystery in one sitting, without leaving a restaurant in which they’re discussing the case. In this version, they go to Sunningdale, lounge about a hotel and walk around on the golf course where the murder took place. But the solving is still all second hand; all the information comes via Tommy’s narration. The show pulls off the mystery’s solution very well, without tipping their hand too early. They play perfectly fair, just like Christie does. There’s a wonderful, very dramatic moment when Tommy muses on how quiet the murder must have been; he remembers seeing men die in the War with just a moan or “a funny little cough.” Warwick really slays the moment; it’s a rare moment of seriousness and you can see the darkness lurking on the edges of the sunny little pair’s world, the darkness of what the two of them saw and experienced during World War I. Very good episode, easily right up there with The Affair of the Pink Pearl.

Tony Wharmby, Jonathan Hales, Agatha Christie

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I'm almost finished with season one of Fringe (Thank you Science channel, even if it makes no sense you are airing it). All this time I avoided it, because in my mind I thought it was a cheap, flashy reboot of the X-Files with dull characters played by bad actors, and I couldn't have been more incorrect. There are obvious similarities of course, but it is awesome in its own way. I've been craving a good X-Files/Lost style myth-arc since I finished watching Lost a few months ago. Hopefully the story is better executed than those two. I'm so excited to watch the rest of this show now. It's both a good thing and a bad thing that Science is airing only three episodes a week, because I can't actually binge through it. If I could I absolutely would, but my social life would surely suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Exploder posted:

I'm almost finished with season one of Fringe (Thank you Science channel, even if it makes no sense you are airing it). All this time I avoided it, because in my mind I thought it was a cheap, flashy reboot of the X-Files with dull characters played by bad actors, and I couldn't have been more incorrect. There are obvious similarities of course, but it is awesome in its own way. I've been craving a good X-Files/Lost style myth-arc since I finished watching Lost a few months ago. Hopefully the story is better executed than those two. I'm so excited to watch the rest of this show now. It's both a good thing and a bad thing that Science is airing only three episodes a week, because I can't actually binge through it. If I could I absolutely would, but my social life would surely suffer.

Fringe is awesome and you should be ashamed of yourself for avoiding it.