Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I have no idea how money making on youtube works

AdSense is a lot of it from what I understand.

I'm willing to help, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Winston Chill posted:

So I just saw Pretty Sweet and it is the most rad stuff since Fully Flared, especially Alvarez and Johnson had wicked parts. I don't even hate the soundtrack as much as most people seem to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDg9mUGwOLg
I really liked Pretty Sweet. Girl/Girl-related videos aren't always the most envelope pushing skating-wise, but they have so much fun with what they do and it's really infectious.

Still, with that said, I cannot believe how hard the younger guys are going in (Elijah, Cory, Raven - I mean poo poo, Mo and Malto are still young too). I'm fairly sure I could watch a feed of Malto overcrooks 24/7 without complaining at all. The old guys were really solid and the new guys were eye-opening. Good, entertaining movie.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I really want that wallride in the trailer to be a special effect, because otherwise I'm done. Again.

I need to hop back to 2001 when I could watch skateboarding and be blown away without just feeling like quitting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
By the time I realized there was no way I would ever be skillful enough to be even an amateur skateboarder, I had also realized that my aged body wouldn't be able to take the required abuse anyway.

It's ok, though. Go skate and have fun.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

I really want that wallride in the trailer to be a special effect, because otherwise I'm done. Again.

I need to hop back to 2001 when I could watch skateboarding and be blown away without just feeling like quitting.

Yeah that wallride over the rain spout is faked. There's a pic in the new Thrasher. They built two pretty tall quarters for him that leave a couple feet of vert on the wall for him to ride over the gap on. The quarters are edited out and replaced with the janky pieces of plywood.

Pretty sure the loop in that opening is fake too.

Pretty Sweet is really awesome. I've watched it several times all ready. While all the flip in and out of stuff is almost excessive the cinematography more than makes up for it. Such a rad skate video.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
Has anyone checked out the new Loaded models yet? The Kanthaka is getting really mixed reviews. Some are pretty pumped about it but a lot of people are saying it's just an overpriced double kick. I can't decide how I feel about it honestly.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I've heard limited good things about both (but no bad yet, besides the prices)
The Kanthaka looks pretty nice, like a cross between the Rayne Phantom and Bustin Yoface to me. I'd love to give one a try but man, the Rayne Phantom/Renegade are the same construction for only around $100, whereas the Kanthaka is 180 or so. I'd pay that much for a nice dh/freeride board but not for a double kick. I'd get one if I got a great deal on it, though. I do like that its a bit narrower than some of the other big double kicks these days. I still think I'm gonna pick up a Rayne Renegade or Phantom (and maybe the second too, if I like them) and hang up my Earthwing Crewzer on the wall, since its one of the last of the old graphics and its still in decent shape.

Has anybody seen the new Indys yet? Cleaner casts, better pivots, barrel bottom bushing, and 6-hole baseplates! Its about drat time some of the best trucks ever get an update.

Rayne Renegade + new Indy 149/159/169 (dunno) + Abec 11 No Skoolz or Metro Micro Motions or a similar small slidey wheel = bound to be fun

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The chubby unicorn is the future of longboard construction and the first step towards brining skateboarding into the same business model as snowboarding. High tech, high costs.

The kathanka is a three hundred dollar skateboard. If you buy one I hope it is to see how well it burns.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The Chubby Unicorn construction is cool, but goddamn is it completely unneeded for skateboarding. It is literally snowboard construction, without the metal edges. Snowboards are built that way because they have to be to perform properly, whereas skateboards simply don't. Its a cool idea but its also really loving stupid at the same time.
The Kanthaka is a nice looking bamboo/glass board that is just stupidly overpriced (like all Loadeds. good boards, but not worth the cost)
As I already said, Rayne is making a similar board with pretty much identical construction for nearly half the price, even though their DH/freeride boards are priced around that of Loaded boards (but are worth the 160-200 because they feel amazing)
If I ever meet someone who bought a Kanthaka at full price, I'll try it and see how it is, but internally I will be shaking my head at that idiot for not just getting something else. Double kicks are obviously gonna get beat up faster than dh/fr boards, will get massive razor tail, and will lose pop. The life is so much more limited, its just not worth it.

A goon buddy (who I'm surprised hasn't posted it here yet) just picked up an Elephant and loves it. They make some nice old-school inspired shapes with modern maple+concave construction and look great.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I am a 25 year old goon in college looking to start long boarding. I am not really doing it for transportation purposes, but it looks incredibly fun. I live in Tallahassee so its nice and "hilly".Just two questions. Am I too old for this? Recommendations for my first board?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
You are not too old. What kind of riding are you looking to do? Do you have any experience?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

You are not too old. What kind of riding are you looking to do? Do you have any experience?

zero experience, id like to cruise and maybe learn to free style. I live in Tallahassee, and attend FSU so lots of different hills and slopes.

I was looking at (http://thelongboardstore.com/longboards/gravity/41-makai-drop-carve-complete-0/). I've found it for cheaper on amazon for like 170 which seems like a fair price.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

I sort of can't really see why Loaded would want to get into the downhill market by making something like the Chubby Unicorn in the first place. Hardcore downhill guys and gals really like their Raynes, Omens, Landyachtz, etc. and Loaded boards always seemed to be more favoured by the freeriding, dancing, street longboarding sort of folks.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

I really liked Pretty Sweet. Girl/Girl-related videos aren't always the most envelope pushing skating-wise, but they have so much fun with what they do and it's really infectious.

Wait a second, what? Girl/Choco/Lakai riders tend to be the main dudes that make everyone try to copy their tricks/type of skating they're doing, i.e. Kostons tre flip noseblunt in Yeah Right, everyone starts doing them. Fully Flared, everyone starts ledge dancing, etc.

edit: Not to mention Mouse as a whole

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

William Munny posted:

Wait a second, what? Girl/Choco/Lakai riders tend to be the main dudes that make everyone try to copy their tricks/type of skating they're doing, i.e. Kostons tre flip noseblunt in Yeah Right, everyone starts doing them. Fully Flared, everyone starts ledge dancing, etc.
Sorry, I worded that really poorly. They actually do push the envelope considerably. What I was trying to get at: after Girl guys set the bar, I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that those who copy are often "bigger" in terms of scale/danger/some other quantifiers. You're totally right though. Can't deny Girl-family's influence. We also only get a Cool Ty Movie every 4-5 years :(

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Sorry, I worded that really poorly. They actually do push the envelope considerably. What I was trying to get at: after Girl guys set the bar, I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that those who copy are often "bigger" in terms of scale/danger/some other quantifiers. You're totally right though. Can't deny Girl-family's influence. We also only get a Cool Ty Movie every 4-5 years :(

Oh ok gotcha. I would agree with that.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Xeom posted:

zero experience, id like to cruise and maybe learn to free style. I live in Tallahassee, and attend FSU so lots of different hills and slopes.

I was looking at (http://thelongboardstore.com/longboards/gravity/41-makai-drop-carve-complete-0/). I've found it for cheaper on amazon for like 170 which seems like a fair price.

That would not be a bad board to get started on. Not the best for freestyle because there isn't much meat on either ends, but would be great for cruising, carving, and freeride (sliding)
Remember, longer wheelbase and a stiffer board will be more stable for hills and sliding.

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I sort of can't really see why Loaded would want to get into the downhill market by making something like the Chubby Unicorn in the first place. Hardcore downhill guys and gals really like their Raynes, Omens, Landyachtz, etc. and Loaded boards always seemed to be more favoured by the freeriding, dancing, street longboarding sort of folks.

Loaded has been working on a dh board for longer than most of the longboard companies out there right now have even existed (Omen being a good example, thats a really new company)
You have to consider that Loaded was one of the companies whose riders really pushed the progression of the current downhill and freeride styles, especially on the freestyle side of things. Loaded is definitely a great company with some awesome people behind it, regardless of their boards being overpriced, but thats what you get for being one of the biggest companies.
Rayne and Landyachtz are always going to be huge in that market. Almost everyone I know locally started on Landyachtz (except for myself, I don't like them much)
I started out on a Sector 9 pintail, then a Dervish, then a Rayne Avenger when I started riding hills and sliding. My normal ride lately is a Comet Ethos 37 proto on Caliber 44s and Metro Motions. Its a really awesome, versatile setup. As I've posted though, I really need to get a bigger DH board (Rayne Avenger, definitely) and a smaller double kick.
I found out Abec 11 is making some 57mm 80a street wheels in Reflex thane. I wonder if they'd feel way to small for me on a Renegade

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

Loaded has been working on a dh board for longer than most of the longboard companies out there right now have even existed (Omen being a good example, thats a really new company)
You have to consider that Loaded was one of the companies whose riders really pushed the progression of the current downhill and freeride styles, especially on the freestyle side of things. Loaded is definitely a great company with some awesome people behind it, regardless of their boards being overpriced, but thats what you get for being one of the biggest companies.

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know they'd had a dh board in development for a while. Even still though, I just feel like they might struggle to get solid sales outside of the hardcore loaded fan base.
The Ethos is great. I had an Ethos with Abec 11 Strikers last year. Really fun set up.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Thrasher's 2012 Skate of the Year is...

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/thrasher-magazines-2012-skater-of-the-year/

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

That would not be a bad board to get started on. Not the best for freestyle because there isn't much meat on either ends, but would be great for cruising, carving, and freeride (sliding)
Remember, longer wheelbase and a stiffer board will be more stable for hills and sliding.
I thought the shorter wheel base meant better sliding?

what would this kind of thing fall under, http://vimeo.com/15926369. Not that I think I will be doing anything half as hard as that for a long while. But I'm just curious would that fall under free styling or sliding :V.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pretty Sweet wasnt quite what I was hoping for, but it had some bangers in there, Im in love with Stevie Perez's part as it reminds me of the old chocolate days, but I was on the whole dissapointed with what seemed to be really condensed parts from some of the 'big hitting pros'. That said Ive been out of the loop for a while though, since skate vids left vhs really circa Yeah Right.

Still the fullish Guy part made up for it kind of, & maybe Im being a bit too harsh on some of the sections. I dont really love MJ like most do tbh, & that young guy who is second to last has a really great part. It just seemed to have lost of a biit of magic somehow.

I just cant stop watching this tho, its caught only like he can really. (switch-tres k)

& as I posted, Stevie perez had a banging section. I like his style!

cadfael fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 5, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

FoxxorTheRed posted:

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know they'd had a dh board in development for a while. Even still though, I just feel like they might struggle to get solid sales outside of the hardcore loaded fan base.
The Ethos is great. I had an Ethos with Abec 11 Strikers last year. Really fun set up.

A Loaded DH/FR board has been in the works since 2004 or 2005. Its gone through a lot of iterations over the years and was mostly kept tightly under wraps, with very few images or bits of information over the years. The final is actually pretty nice, but that price and construction is ridiculous and entirely not worth it.
I got this Ethos in pretty great shape off a guy I know in Michigan who is bros with the Comet guys and owner. He got one of the final protos and I wound up with it. Really awesome deck, even if I can hardly use the tail, its still comfy. I've considered chopping it and just having a small board with a sweet pocket over the rear truck.

Xeom posted:

I thought the shorter wheel base meant better sliding?

what would this kind of thing fall under, http://vimeo.com/15926369. Not that I think I will be doing anything half as hard as that for a long while. But I'm just curious would that fall under free styling or sliding :V.

Shorter wheel base will a tighter turning radius. Generally that means more twitch and less stability once the speeds start to raise, and quicker rotations and a grippier board for sliding. A longer wheelbase will be "floatier" in slides and want to stay out longer, but it will make actual spins slower, while having less overall grip. It is a noticable difference and its all personal preference for what you like to ride. My Ethos has a wheelbase of 24" and thats the longest I have right now. Thats decently small for riding hills and for sliding for a lot of people. When I do stand-up slides it whips around super fast though, and being right on top of the rear truck gives me a lot of control on how much the rear grips.
That video is all freeride/soft-wheel sliding. Freestyle would be more flat ground stuff, various tricks, slides, etc. The "hybrid" boards that are really popular lately, like all the giant double kicks and the longboards with mini-kicks being put out by awesome longboard companies, are a reaction to this. Street and downhill/freeride are lending together as the sport gets more popular and more people do both, so a lot of people like to be able to hit 30mph, throw big slides, and ollie curbs and throw the occasional kickflip on the same board. If you have the skill to do it its a shitload of fun (I don't have the skill)

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

cadfael posted:

I just cant stop watching this tho, its caught only like he can really. (switch-tres k)
I subconsciously reclined in my chair real far and put my hands on my head when I saw that in the video

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

was it because this was switch that made it so exceptional? i mean people are flipping crazy poo poo into rails these days so I didn't get why this was the closer. not that it isn't loving awesome...

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005

karphead posted:

was it because this was switch that made it so exceptional? i mean people are flipping crazy poo poo into rails these days so I didn't get why this was the closer. not that it isn't loving awesome...

It's because sw tre flip nosegrind has never been done down a handrail before and it's one of the last "flip in" tricks that is NBD on a handrail.

Plus it's kind of an extension of the sw shove it nosegrind that Guy had for a cover on an issue of Transworld way back.

@cadfael-The guy you're talking about with the 2nd to last part is Sean Malto. During the premiere that I went to the crowd was pretty much silent from boredom except for his last trick. I tend to agree with them. He's "good" but his skating doesn't excite me.

More importantly, DGK video is premiering on the 12th and I'm really excited for that. Hopefully Marcus McBride has a full part and I've been fiending for more Desarmo, Kalis, and Stevie footage especially. I also think Kelann Dadd will have a standout part that will make me feel like I'm in the 90s again while he skates wearing gold chains and rings. All he needs is a line where he checks his pager midway through.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Pretty Sweet is dope. I give it two crushed dreams of me ever being good up

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Are there any behind the scenes articles or anything about their crane shot intro? Was there some kind of rigging above that whole area or were they driving something?

fake edit: Hi maffew!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

hello Mr. Sebastian. isn't there some end credit footage of them loving around with a remote control helicopter with a camera on it or something? and is Steve Perez an am? because he is super sick. I enjoyed also watching Jesus Fernandez do tricks on his skateboard because he has a very nice style.

maybe I'm just a hater, Sean Malto is really good but his part failed to grab my attention in a big way :/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wasn't able to watch it the whole way through but that makes the most sense. I just assumed it was a crane because there were a few cranes in Yeah Right.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

finish that video! marc johnson and guy mariano's parts are Most Sicky

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

karphead posted:

I think with Guy it doesnt make it quite so exceptional imo, even taking into account his noted absence over the past decade or so. His mouse section is one of the greatest ever imo & so much of that is switch.

^his last trick on mouse. I think the last 4 or 5 are swtich tricks, he was and still is a beast

maffew buildings posted:

isn't there some end credit footage of them loving around with a remote control helicopter with a camera on it or something?

Skate cam chopper in the house!

cadfael fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 8, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

maffew buildings posted:

finish that video! marc johnson and guy mariano's parts are Most Sicky

Okay making my way through some more. I think Sean Malto's part was good but it should not have followed Marc Johnson and it should not have had another song from that Justice album.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Malto's part somehow being underwhelming more speaks to how insanely dope every part and that team is and isn't a knock against him because some of the stuff he does is just insane. Maybe underwhelming isn't the right word but by his part my brain was already on overload after Johnson

there should probably be some sort of government research grant used to see if there's anything Malto can't grind, though

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 8, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I share the Malto sentiments but I've been warming up to that part the more I watch it. Malto has the curse of making things look too easy. He almost looks bored by his skating after each trick. It's like he doesn't even register on the sketch/style meter that I just made up. You got to have a bit of one or the other to make things fun to watch. Either push your limits and look sketchy or do it with serious style. That second to last spot/trick is crazy though.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 8, 2012

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's always been my problem with Malto, it's the same as Nyjah Houston. Dude is a beast but he looks like he's going through the motions half the time. Almost like he does the trick a dozen times until he lands it just right, only Andrew Reynolds does that too and is infinitely more interesting to watch.

I dunno, give me a Louie Barletta over a Sean Malto any day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Louie's part in Man Down is absurd, the dude has so much fun it's infectious. Also, dope hair

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

His Bag of Suck part was better than his Man Down part, if only because of how stoked he gets when he falls. I hate when people get all angry and focus their board and poo poo when they screw up.

I won't get to see Pretty Sweet until next week and it's killing me :(

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8jTTLoacM
Apparently there's a new skatepark in Colonia, NJ. I haven't been to a park in a really long while but this video convinced me to hit up a park again.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Yooooo... I'm in contact with a guy who selling his almost new Tan Tien for only $250. The only problem seems that the board is Flex 3 and I'm a 80 kg (175 lbs) guy. No doubt flex 2 is the optimal choice, but would buying the flex 3 cause problems for me? Any experience here would help a lot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It'll work for you. Just don't take it fast!

Slow, flexy longboarding is a fun discipline almost completely seperate from downhill freeriding.