Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Well due to the most recent copyright bill the most they can collect against someone found guilty is $5000 since it's non-commercial infringement (and since thats the maximum more than likely it would be much less than that).

I'd bet they're putting this all together to hopefully get some people to settle for thousands out of ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cheap Shot posted:

We couldn't regress further and further backward any faster if we tried.

You loving jinxed us, man!

TELUS halves download/upload limits for all customers, starting on February 1st 2013

:suicide:

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

gently caress. That.

I was considering switching from Eastlink's packet shaping nightmare to Optik when it rolled out here but that's loving ridiculous.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I'm sorry. I take it back! I take it back!

Jesus Christ. :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So are they going to start tracking data used now or have they already? How much is it to break a contract? I got some discount for the first x months but didn't get a laptop or Xbox.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So.

How's Shaw?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ, someone start a class action, this poo poo needs to stop.

Also, I got my new modem and I think it's somehow WORSE than my old one. Gonna have to chalk it up to my area's connectivity being poo poo, I think. :(

But at least I was able to transfer close to two terabytes of data over the last two months without overage charges.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 5, 2012

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is it just me or does Telus just not monitor bandwidth usage? I've never seen there usage tracker ever work under my account page and I've monitored my own bandwidth from my router that ranged in the 300-500~ in just one month just to see if Telus would react and they never do, did I some how fall through the cracks and have unlimited usage? This has been going on for maybe 9 years.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Im_Special posted:

Is it just me or does Telus just not monitor bandwidth usage? I've never seen there usage tracker ever work under my account page and I've monitored my own bandwidth from my router that ranged in the 300-500~ in just one month just to see if Telus would react and they never do, did I some how fall through the cracks and have unlimited usage? This has been going on for maybe 9 years.
Most companies say per month but they actually monitor over an averaged window of a couple months. So a spike in a month wont get their attention but constant high transfer will.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So shaw has "unlimited" usage on their 100/250Mbps for $195, why are they the same price? Is it the 250 is a limited time deal or they just can't guarantee the speed?

But drat that is pretty expensive. I should see about tracking my monthly usage on my router to see how much I'd actually need. I'm betting the 150GB is probably enough anyway. I just hate having those stupid arbitrary limits hanging over my head.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Telus was not monitoring bandwidth over the past year while they rolled out OptikTV and hadn't yet separated the traffic or something.

They are cutting bandwidth caps because they now have the capability to monitor and thus charge $3/gb in overage. Yes, you read that right.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jesus loving christ. At least Shaw just bumps you up to the next level.

Does Telus charge $10 a month to break a contract? I am in it until Feb 2014. :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Take them to court if they try to bill you for breaking the contract, they're literally giving you half of what you agreed to. This isn't legally enforceable regardless of what you signed.

VV I've transferred that much in the last four days, it seems, according to Teksavvy's data checker.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 5, 2012

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

So much for Telus superiority. :smugdog:

Is it really that easy for someone to reach the 150gb cap? For the person that use it for some streaming and casual Internet use that is.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Telus is claiming that since it is a service agreement they can do this and it does not void your contract. It's hilarious, and horrifying. There's some peeps over on Reddit who have tried calling to break their 3 year plans they just signed up for and been told that.

^^: My Roommate and I do close to 700gb/month regularly. Last steam sale we did over a TB.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It looks like it wouldn't be too bad to break the contract, they charge the "remaining discounts/promotional" stuff. Since all I got was half off on the internet for the first six months it wouldn't be that much I don't think. I'll ask them tonight.

http://www.telus.com/content/help/billing/article.jsp?categoryId=how-to&articleId=service-agreements

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

quaint bucket posted:

So much for Telus superiority. :smugdog:

Is it really that easy for someone to reach the 150gb cap? For the person that use it for some streaming and casual Internet use that is.

My dad uses about 2-5GB a day and he doesn't :filez:.

He just reads newspapers, watches HD Youtube, and the news. If I got him Netflix (which a lot of people have), it'd be way over 150GB/month. Telus is basically just giving you the "bare minimum" internet experience for that cap.

They seem to alternate their bandwidth caps yearly, I don't know why.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Of course Shaw has now already adjusted their caps to 125gb and 250gb to 'align with competition'

:sigh:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I love how competition in Canada means every company has the same prices and packages with minor variations on the naming convention. It's gas stations all over again. I think the only company I feel like I've gotten fair deal from in the past few years is Wind and they got such a hard time from regulators and Canadian competitors that the CEO was quoted as saying he wished they had never bothered.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
So far Eastlink hasn't decided to play this game. So far.

You're going to keep on being okay-to-good, right? Please? Eastlink? :smithicide:

Note: Their caps on the higher tiers (40, 80, 200 Mbit/s) are 250GB/month. The lower tiers (5 and 20, the latter of which I use) are unlimited usage.

Edit: My rates are 20 down/2 up, for $73 after taxes.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 6, 2012

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Right now I'm with Bell paying $65 for 25/10 and 125GB. That's the best I can get in downtown Toronto. I pray to hope beyond hope that I don't get hosed over in the near future because of this god awful chain reaction, because honestly 125GB cap sucks so bad.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I posted this thread two years ago with this title and it just kept getting shittier :(

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

The Gunslinger posted:

I love how competition in Canada means every company has the same prices and packages with minor variations on the naming convention. It's gas stations all over again. I think the only company I feel like I've gotten fair deal from in the past few years is Wind and they got such a hard time from regulators and Canadian competitors that the CEO was quoted as saying he wished they had never bothered.

God save the duoploies :canada:

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Btw what does this mean for teksavvy and other repackaging companies in re: to Telus and Shaw?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Nothing.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Thank god for Teksavvy.
25/1 with no cap for $70.

I can't believe some of the caps I'm seeing. Between steam sales, netflix and everything I'd be doomed.

Hell, backing up my minecraft map to my pc would consume 1GB/day.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Google, if you are reading this, please expand Google Fiber to Canada. You will have every person in Canada as a customer within a month. That is not even hyperbole.
:smith:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tagra posted:

Google, if you are reading this, please expand Google Fiber to Canada. You will have every person in Canada as a customer within a month. That is not even hyperbole.

You say that now but they'll just bring in fibre and slap a 150gb cap on it to "stay in line" with other providers.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Well, that crap with Telus sucks. My family and I are thinking of switching to Teksavvy (25 down with unlimited bandwidth? sign me up). I checked the website and it says it's available, but I'd thought I'd ask the thread as well. Teksavvy is available in Langley, B.C, correct? If so, is it better than Telus/Shaw? Looks like it is.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I'm waiting for the day that all the companies will require customers to install coin operated modems in order to use the internet. :smugdog:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Teksavvy is available anywhere Telus is. If 25 telus is available then 25 teksavvy is available. They're just a reseller.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Nitr0 posted:

Teksavvy is available anywhere Telus is. If 25 telus is available then 25 teksavvy is available. They're just a reseller.

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blackswordca posted:

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

And same with Cable. Shaw will do up to 100 or probably even 250mbps in my area but they won't let Teksavvy do more than 25 anywhere on cable as far as I know. Also I think teksavvy is still using those older docsis 2.0 modems rather than the docsis 3 ones that shaw uses.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Squibbles posted:

And same with Cable. Shaw will do up to 100 or probably even 250mbps in my area but they won't let Teksavvy do more than 25 anywhere on cable as far as I know. Also I think teksavvy is still using those older docsis 2.0 modems rather than the docsis 3 ones that shaw uses.

At some points during the fiasco of my attempted Teksavvy setup, I swear the Telus techs were intentionally messing up the job. It took 9 or 10 service calls to get the line working. When it finally started to work, the speed was so slow and inconstant. I only ended up wasting three months and several hundred dollars of service fees to Teksavvy. I don't blame them in the end, but their hands are tied based on what Telus does.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Tagra posted:

I cry this into my pillow every night. :cry:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I've wondered why this is... Rogers here offers up to 100, but Teksavvy only offers up to 25 on Rogers' lines. Why is this? I also thought that they were supposed to have access to access of equal quality?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

I've wondered why this is... Rogers here offers up to 100, but Teksavvy only offers up to 25 on Rogers' lines. Why is this? I also thought that they were supposed to have access to access of equal quality?

My guess is that they only grant teksavvy access to the analog side of the network.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

thexerox123 posted:

Last I heard there was a ruling that bell/telus/shaw/rogers were supposed to offer all the same speeds to their resellers but the big guys were all doing their very best to drag their feet in doing so for as long as possible. I'm sure it must have been well over a hear since I heard that though.

A bit of explanation here: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27640362-Why-doesn-t-TPIA-include-DOCSIS-3-

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've got a docsis 3 modem with TSI, $45 for 25/2.5 unlimited Internet is really good given the competition. Oddly enough it's faster than the 25/2.5 I got from shaw. I used to get horrible slow down during peak hours. No more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Lord Justice posted:

Teksavvy is available in Langley, B.C, correct? If so, is it better than Telus/Shaw? Looks like it is.

I have it in Cloverdale and it's great. 25/2.5, unlimited per month for $45, beats the hell out of the others.