Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Supercar Gautier posted:

People used to make poo poo up about Gamecube discs being written/read counterclockwise instead of clockwise. It's hogwash. There's nothing crazy about Nintendo's versions of DVD/Blu-Ray discs, the difference is just the encryption and formatting.

Maybe it was an Australian Gamecube?

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

I have already a bazillion devices that can not only play DVDs but also Netflix and Hulu. I mean, my TV can do Netflix and Hulu. I guess it's nice to have a device that consolidates it all together, but none will do it as efficiently as a Roku or HTPC, so it doesn't really matter to me.

The only media I use Wii U for is Youtube in the web browser because the curtain open/close mechanic makes for good youtube shenanigans with company.

I prefer the touchscreen interface far far more than the Roku's wiimote looking thing or using an xbox controller, or using netflix or amazon's horrible websites.(Hulu's site interface for browsing and choosing is actually pretty good imo). Would just be great the less terrible energy sucking devices I have to have plugged in.

I really liked the rumor that next gen cable boxes were going to have a built in next gen xbox, even though that's a fat chance.

I suspect TVii will enhance that experience further.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

People used to make poo poo up about Gamecube discs being written/read counterclockwise instead of clockwise. It's hogwash. There's nothing crazy about Nintendo's versions of DVD/Blu-Ray discs, the difference is just the encryption and formatting.

It's kind of crazy that I never even thought to look into what media format the Wii U uses. What format are the discs anyway?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Just sent my Wii U back to Nintendo. Got the dreaded INVALID DISC error and it wouldn't read my Wii or Wii U games anymore.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

greatn posted:

Yeah autosaving really should be the standard unless there's some gameplay or story reason for it not to be.

The gameplay reason is so that lives actually matter. When the game saves after every stage, what point does extra lives have? None. Being forced to play through half a world again on a game over gives lives meaning.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Gutcruncher posted:

The gameplay reason is so that lives actually matter. When the game saves after every stage, what point does extra lives have? None. Being forced to play through half a world again on a game over gives lives meaning.

If that is their reasoning for it then they are super dumb. I haven't played NSMBU yet but lives haven't mattered in Mario games in years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Has anyone on earth ever game overed in NSMBU? Maybe in four player. If lives matter why do I have sixty plus without trying by the time I hit layer cake desert?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I recall my brother using his original Wii to search for user-created Miis somehow, and downloading a bunch to his own console. Is there a way to do this on Wii U? I'd love to have a little Mii army with Beavis & Butthead and Hulk Hogan running around, and I'd rather mooch off the talented Miiverse experts than try to create them myself.

The only search function I'm aware of it the one for adding individual users as friends, but that doesn't help when I'm just trying to find the best-looking Dave Letterman or whatever. I've also tried looking for this in Wii mode but haven't had any luck.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Has any person gotten a game over in a Mario game since 1996? Have human eyes ever known what the last several game over screens have looked like?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Minidust posted:

I recall my brother using his original Wii to search for user-created Miis somehow, and downloading a bunch to his own console. Is there a way to do this on Wii U? I'd love to have a little Mii army with Beavis & Butthead and Hulk Hogan running around, and I'd rather mooch off the talented Miiverse experts than try to create them myself.

The only search function I'm aware of it the one for adding individual users as friends, but that doesn't help when I'm just trying to find the best-looking Dave Letterman or whatever. I've also tried looking for this in Wii mode but haven't had any luck.

You had to download a channel from the store to do this, there's no Wii U equivalent yet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Has any person gotten a game over in a Mario game since 1996? Have human eyes ever known what the last several game over screens have looked like?

Mhmmm talk to my wife or my 9 year old. I sometimes fear for my TV and controllers. There is no rage like Mario rage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Game overs are a left over from before things like saves existed. The Meatboy and the way Mario games do it is much better and lives are just a metric of how well you're doing instead of how many gently caress ups you have left

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm sure more folks than just veteran superstar platforming gamers from the rough and tumble world of the 1980s play these games. I mean, my brother can play the poo poo out of Dota 2 and Counter-Strike, but has always kinda struggled in 2D platforming games. Just saying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife refuses to hold down the 1 button to run. He just goes too darn fast, so Luigi walks everywhere.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think Nintendo keeps lives in Mario games because of 1ups. I mean, Rayman Origins is great and all, but that little burst of seratonin when you hear the extra life charm causes people to act crazy, like diving after a green mushroom even though you're already at the maximum number of lives.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Crowbear posted:

If that is their reasoning for it then they are super dumb. I haven't played NSMBU yet but lives haven't mattered in Mario games in years.

There are still 5 year old kids playing their first Mario game, who haven't been playing for years, and don't have well honed hand/eye coordination or perfect understanding of Mario's jump mechanics across decades of releases. That's why Super Guide exists in the first place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

There are still 5 year old kids playing their first Mario game, who haven't been playing for years, and don't have well honed hand/eye coordination or perfect understanding of Mario's jump mechanics across decades of releases. That's why Super Guide exists in the first place.

So we should punish them and make sure they can't save progress in the game? Cause you gotta die a lot before super guide shows up.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Chaltab posted:

I think Nintendo keeps lives in Mario games because of 1ups. I mean, Rayman Origins is great and all, but that little burst of seratonin when you hear the extra life charm causes people to act crazy, like diving after a green mushroom even though you're already at the maximum number of lives.
Or actually dying while chasing after one, defeating the entire purpose. Been there, done that so many times and still haven't learned my lesson.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

So we should punish them and make sure they can't save progress in the game? Cause you gotta die a lot before super guide shows up.

Don't talk about punishment when we all lived through the first couple of Mario games just fine. The games should ship with iron man quicksave-only three lives maximum that posts your failure to Miiverse when a level finally gets the best of you.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

You had to download a channel from the store to do this, there's no Wii U equivalent yet.

I think there is a way from the main menu, like a button on the bottom of the screen if you click on a Mii in the plaza, because I once added a custom Mii on accident but I'm not entirely sure if this is what he's looking for.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wotalt posted:

I think there is a way from the main menu, like a button on the bottom of the screen if you click on a Mii in the plaza, because I once added a custom Mii on accident but I'm not entirely sure if this is what he's looking for.
Well yeah, you can save a user Mii if it happens to walk by in the plaza. But I'd like to proactively search for characters. Something like ModNation Racers on PS3 or WWE wrestling games.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Chronojam posted:

The games should ship with iron man quicksave-only three lives maximum that posts your failure to Miiverse when a level finally gets the best of you.

It would be hilarious if a game came out that forced Miiverse posts after you lose too many times, without giving you the option of turning it off. Auto-shame.

"I DIED 34 TIMES ON THIS LEVEL"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Seaniqua posted:

It would be hilarious if a game came out that forced Miiverse posts after you lose too many times, without giving you the option of turning it off. Auto-shame.

"I DIED 34 TIMES ON THIS LEVEL"

Wii U needs a Souls game that does this. It will be the best game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

And that game should be Oregon Trail

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
"Ask me about dieing of dysentery 23 times."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been having fun posting Dark Souls messages (Try jumping, Weakness: head) on MiiVerse for NSMBU, but nobody seems to like them. :(

I'm still going to keep doing it, though.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Wii U needs a Souls game that does this. It will be the best game.

Maybe the sequel to ZombiU? You know, ZombiU2. The one where you play as Bono in zombie-infested Dublin.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

With or Without U

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Minidust posted:

Well yeah, you can save a user Mii if it happens to walk by in the plaza. But I'd like to proactively search for characters. Something like ModNation Racers on PS3 or WWE wrestling games.

There's plenty of Mii sties that have QR codes that you can just scan. I got like 50 characters from this site. Marios, Batmans, Robocops, just held my iPad in front of my WiiU tablet and it was super quick.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Zombtwo
Zombtoo?

Edit: ZombtU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Supercar Gautier posted:

I am ashamed to admit that I have experienced the 'Continue' -screen in NSMBU once. The game gets more challenging after Layer Cake Desert, and since I'm playing co-op with my girlfriend ( who is certainly new to gaming ), there have been a lot of accidental deaths. But her Continue-count? Passed 47 this evening. We're having a laugh about it, though, so it's all for fun.

The fact that there are unlimited continues ( I think? ) doesn't bother me. It keeps the game flowing and gives leeway to those who are not as skilled in 2D platforming. I'm very happy about the Challenge-mode, though - it is more robust than I expected, and getting gold-medals on every challenge will not be easy. It is as close to hardcore Mario as I can get, and I love it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nintendo should just gently caress with people and put passwords in Super Mario Universe :allears:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Is there a way to reorganize the little Miiverse previews that show up on the main menu? I'd like to get rid of the black ops and sonic ones.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seaniqua posted:

With or Without U

Hire this goon, Ubi. You don't know what you are missing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

Is there a way to reorganize the little Miiverse previews that show up on the main menu? I'd like to get rid of the black ops and sonic ones.

I believe those are just pulled from the internet in a "what's popular right now?" sort of dealio. So no.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Sand Bird and Pachinko shines in Super Mario Sunshine netted me a fair few game overs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I did it in Galaxy quite a bit since it didn't save lives when you quit the game (making lives almost pointless).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The continued existence of the lives system is a little weird to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The continued existence of the lives system is a little weird to me.

As many have said, Lives persist in Mario games to preserve the iconography of the one-up mushroom and the life-every-100-coins schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess my perspective on Mario is different because neither of those seems to me to be as essentially "Mario" as the lives system itself. If the lives system isn't important for its own sake, why are coins and 1-up mushrooms important for their own sake?

• Locked thread