Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

I am not sure, but I feel as though Olives may have been referring to a misspelling on your main page, Zarikov. Your very first sentence has you making a tabletop game about cannons in the Barkleyverse.
:hellyeah:

I'm sure cannons are canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

Undead Unicorn posted:

Can I play as a Cyberdwarf? Can I learn Shaq-fu? Will the "goddamn animal people" living in the sewers be monsters in this game.

This is important!

Cyberdwarf as in THE Cyberdwarf? Roll a Dwarf Holly Warrior and be a healer/melee character.

Wanna learn Shaq-Fu? Multiclass and earn some levels of Fallen B-Baller, a B-Baller that has renounced B-ball and learned to fight with fists only, and learn the mystical arts of wrapping ones hands in b-ball skin and punching things!

Furries will of course exist as NCC (non-canon-characters) that you may talk to and fight if it comes to that. I haven't decided if becoming a furry will cost Neo-Shekels or if you'll have to earn it with a feat.

I'm currently back to work on Alignments. Here is a sample!

"Murder-Doomhead
Player’s characters that chose the Murder-Doomhead path represent the aggressive, balls-to-the-wall world of blast processing, 16-bit graphx, and brutally murdering those that stand in their way. The Murder-Doomhead’s vidcon system of choice is the pre-post-Cyberpocalypse vidcon system SEGA GENESIS. SEGA GENESIS did what Nintendont, and the Murder-Doomheads will never quite respect Trend player’s and their kiddy, sporadically released first-party vidcons like Mario: Megapshere 5 or Pokemon: Mauve. SEGA GENESIS had the best balance of sports, role playing, platforming, and action adventure games and the Murder-Doomhead appreciates releases like Phantasy Star, Sonic and Knuckles, and Shaq-Fu like a fine wine made from the spinal fluid of their slain foes. And believe me, the Murder-Doomheads have enough spines to create fine wines, due to the fact that Corporate Attitude, Trend, and Stoner player’s characters will naturally distrust or hate the chaotic,violent, and totally rad Murder-Doomheads.

Spirit Animal: Hedgehog

Murder-Doomheads start with the following Alignment Perks:
+2 Knowledge Geography
+1 Intimidate Skill
Alignment Feat: “Thrash-Tyme”
Once per gaming session, a player can call up his buddies in a local metal band to show up and play a face-melting metal show. The show comes with a mosh pit and two Doom-Muderhead bouncers."

Zarikov fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2012

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kreeblah posted:

I'm sure cannons are canon.

I feel like such a BAKA :argh:

(Cannon changed to canon... One small slam for jam-kind...)

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what are the chances of this game being on Steam? It could make it through Greenlight, maybe?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scambl posted:

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what are the chances of this game being on Steam? It could make it through Greenlight, maybe?

I would imagine that it would easily make it through Greenlight.

david lunch
Oct 13, 2009

Zarikov posted:

Hey everybody! I would like to quickly advertise my silly little project called Barkley's Shut up and Jam: Gaiden's; Tale's of the Extended Barkleyverse!
Tale's of Games approved a d20 fan game, and I've decided to start a lil' site to keep people updated and act as a portal for people to contribute to the project. If you have art skills, page layout skills, writing skills, d20 nerd poo poo skills, or anything else you think would be helpful, check out the site and get in touch with me!

Click here for more details: https://sites.google.com/site/barkleyverse/home

Currently I'm in the process of adapting the free 3.5 d20 rules Wizards of the Coast released for free to the Barkleyverse, so if you know 3.5 well, you probably know it better than I do! So please, no amount of useful help is useless, unless it's useless help.

If you really wanted to make a dungeons and dragons-type game in the spirit of Barkley then perhaps the goal should be to lampoon tabletop RPGs.

Also, if it's a fan-game then it is by definition non-canonical.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I actually went to elementary school with Charles Barkley's daughter. My mom used to go shopping with Maureen Barkley every once in a while. One time the Barkleys wanted my parents to act as Christiana's guardians when she was alone on the same flight as us going someplace I forget.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I have the potential to get in touch with Charles Barkley in some fashion. I doubt he would get it or appreciate it but if you wanted to make it a stretch goal or something, I could try and get you in touch with him, CBoyardee, or maybe just get him to play the game. Chances are that won't work but I can certainly try!

Also just wanted to echo the comments that this looks awesome and the first game is one of my favorite games of all time.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

david lunch posted:

If you really wanted to make a dungeons and dragons-type game in the spirit of Barkley then perhaps the goal should be to lampoon tabletop RPGs.

And relentless taunt it's fans as well. Take this suggestion to heart here. Your using 3.5 anyway, so it's best to make lemonade out of this lemon. Pathfinder and 3.5 Grogs make JRPGs fanboys look sane by comparison, so it's pretty easy pickings too.

:stare:

If you can get Charles Barkley to lend his likeness and name for them to use as part of a stretch goal that would legitimately be awesome and hilarious.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 7, 2012

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would imagine that it would easily make it through Greenlight.

Valve has put Barkley references into at least one of their games so there might already be some people there interested in getting it on Steam.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Undead Unicorn posted:

And relentless taunt it's fans as well. Take this suggestion to heart here. Your using 3.5 anyway, so it's best to make lemonade out of this lemon. Pathfinder and 3.5 Grogs make JRPGs fanboys look sane by comparison, so it's pretty easy pickings too.

:stare:

If you can get Charles Barkley to lend his likeness and name for them to use as part of a stretch goal that would legitimately be awesome and hilarious.

Like I said, I really doubt it would end up going anywhere since I don't think my family has seen the Barkleys in ages and I never even really talked to Christiana when we were in school together. But for the sake of a cool stretch goal I guess I could embarrass myself trying to reconnect just to show them a JRPG parody!

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

david lunch posted:

Also, if it's a fan-game then it is by definition non-canonical.

That's the idea! I'm using d20 for the obvious benefit of being well-known, pretty easy to use, and very easy to modify. And the d20 (from here on referred to as a b20) is as close as dice get to being a B-Ball! Once I get the boring rulesy stuff down, the plan is to focus mostly on throwing in lots of funny to make the game possibly worth playing.

Also whether or not the game is canon will be up to the fine folks at Tale's of Games!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Barkely was game for dressing up in drag for that Weight Watchers ad. He might be cooler than you think.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I don't know how much it would actually cost, but from the way thing are going, it looks like you guys might actually end up with enough money to reasonably license Space Jam.

Please make that a new stretch goal.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I don't know how much it would actually cost, but from the way thing are going, it looks like you guys might actually end up with enough money to reasonably license Space Jam.

Please make that a new stretch goal.

They already got the artist who made the original song right? can they just license the instrumentals and do a remix related to the game?

[e] Bonus points if the can get someone in Japan to do vocals in english.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DrManiac posted:

They already got the artist who made the original song right? can they just license the instrumentals and do a remix related to the game?

[e] Bonus points if the can get someone in Japan to do vocals in english.
I believe they have the guy who made the remix of Space Jam for Barkley 1 on board. Not the people who made the original song off the Space Jam movie soundtrack.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cboyardee, it has dawned on me that we have only seen the front side of the Cyberdwarf daki. But as all true followers of the Nihon Way know, proper dakimakura have a second, more... daring illustration adorning the back. Can we expect some applebottoms on this?

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe
Gotta see it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think what we've learned over the past couple pages is that CBSUaJ:G style humor appears simple but is actually a very difficult thing to nail down correctly

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

RentACop posted:

I think what we've learned over the past couple pages is that CBSUaJ:G style humor appears simple but is actually a very difficult thing to nail down correctly

This is true of all Japanese humor. It is not crass and disrespectful like western fauxtainers. Fauxtainers are not funny, they are not amusing, they are annoying and stupid like a a person arguing against the superiority of Japanese culture. Japanese humor tells a story with a deep meaning that leaves the audience with a sense of awe and knowing. It is depressing that so many people do not know this and it speaks volumes about our education system.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've been thinking - we've come to the consensus here that the Hoopz Barkley SaGa proved that Game Maker is suitable for RPGs, but during the Demon Rush debacle, I think everyone came to the opposite conclusion in the face of what is such a terrible game from a technical standpoint.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 7, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Yaos posted:

This is true of all Japanese humor. It is not crass and disrespectful like western fauxtainers. Fauxtainers are not funny, they are not amusing, they are annoying and stupid like a a person arguing against the superiority of Japanese culture. Japanese humor tells a story with a deep meaning that leaves the audience with a sense of awe and knowing. It is depressing that so many people do not know this and it speaks volumes about our education system.

Why hello there Truckpump. I've always wondered where you posted.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Oh, speaking of Game Maker - would it be at all possible to upload it to Game Maker's Steam Workshop thingy? If the current version of Game Maker supports Barkley 1, I would gladly Paypal you the money for a Steam copy. Of course, there's also the question of whether it'd get taken down for copyright infringement.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerJ posted:

I've been thinking - we've come to the consensus here that the Hoopz Barkley SaGa proved that Game Maker is suitable for RPGs, but during the Demon Rush debacle, I think everyone came to the opposite conclusion in the face of what is such a terrible game from a technical standpoint.
It's almost as if the people behind the game matter just as much as the engine used to make it! :v:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Like I said, I really doubt it would end up going anywhere since I don't think my family has seen the Barkleys in ages and I never even really talked to Christiana when we were in school together. But for the sake of a cool stretch goal I guess I could embarrass myself trying to reconnect just to show them a JRPG parody!
If you wanna show them the game, Just Do It. No need to goon it up. (Goons & real life activities do not mix.)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What if he/they demand(s) BSUaJ:G be taken down? There's no telling what would happen.

Zereth posted:

I believe they have the guy who made the remix of Space Jam for Barkley 1 on board. Not the people who made the original song off the Space Jam movie soundtrack.

And the original song is undoubtedly in the hands of Time-Warner, one of The Most Powerful Corporations In The World (TM). Someone previously said that they'd want hundreds of thousands.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 7, 2012

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zarikov posted:

That's the idea! I'm using d20 for the obvious benefit of being well-known, pretty easy to use, and very easy to modify. And the d20 (from here on referred to as a b20) is as close as dice get to being a B-Ball! Once I get the boring rulesy stuff down, the plan is to focus mostly on throwing in lots of funny to make the game possibly worth playing.

Also whether or not the game is canon will be up to the fine folks at Tale's of Games!

Better idea: make an Apocalypse World hack. Stupidly simple to both play and modify.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

BiggerJ posted:

And the original song is undoubtedly in the hands of Time-Warner, one of The Most Powerful Corporations In The World (TM). Someone previously said that they'd want hundreds of thousands.

I bet if you could just get in front of 'em you could get it. Just played hardball Jack Donaghy style and they'd cave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-eoiY4bOo&t=270s

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I went ahead and gave up by :10bux: to this project.

I really need to get to completing the first game sometime.

EDIT: For what it is worth, I remember the game having really good writing. Overwrought in that JRPG way, yes, but surprisingly good.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 7, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you think about it, uplifting the duergar is just reverse racism.

You're giving them equal rights how is this racism? Unless you mean the sludge elves. :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It blows me away that out of all of the games that want to use the retro-pixel art aesthetic, the only one that manages to pull it off, and beautifully, is a sequel to a game where space jam is canon. Notch can gently caress off with his placeholder graphics.

Keep up the wonderful work, this game is beautiful.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

It blows me away that out of all of the games that want to use the retro-pixel art aesthetic, the only one that manages to pull it off, and beautifully, is a sequel to a game where space jam is canon. Notch can gently caress off with his placeholder graphics.

Keep up the wonderful work, this game is beautiful.
Totally loving this. I'm sick and tired of the "retro crunchy pixel" style that looks so uncreative. Doing a pixel art style takes a lot of time and effort, and if you don't want to put it in, then don't do it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Totally loving this. I'm sick and tired of the "retro crunchy pixel" style that looks so uncreative. Doing a pixel art style takes a lot of time and effort, and if you don't want to put it in, then don't do it.

How can you badmouth such visual feasts as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwQN7Hoy7mA

Return to the days of your youth

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

dude I loved Final Fantasy 6, give me that game again

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the problems is that games like that Penny Arcade one don't commit to their aesthetic. So you end up with a jarring and ugly combination of 16 bit graphics and impossible and terrible looking portraits. And the art they do make is so incredibly derivative of the FF games that there's a pretty good chance that they directly copied a lot of the sprites and colors, and simply recolored and/or slightly altered them.

BSUAJ:G also didn't commit to its look, but it was a freeware game and was otherwise really good, so I gave it a pass. It appears that Barkley 2 is completely committed to the 16-bit RPG look. On top of that, they are going for a unique aesthetic in terms of both environment and character design, so it still feels fresh. It's retro pixel art done right.

edit: Actually, I'd say that Barkley 2 has more of a 32-bit PS1 2D RPG look. But I guess my point is that it is completely consistent and doesn't seem to ever betray its aesthetic.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 7, 2012

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

One of the problems is that games like that Penny Arcade one don't commit to their aesthetic. So you end up with a jarring and ugly combination of 16 bit graphics and impossible and terrible looking portraits. And the art they do make is so incredibly derivative of the FF games that there's a pretty good chance that they directly copied a lot of the sprites and colors, and simply recolored and/or slightly altered them.

You're not wrong at all about the portrait thing and the rest of the game's aesthetic, but it's pretty obvious that their FF-style sprites are deliberately evoking the FF6 reference rather than just being derivative laziness. FF6 character sprites use such a specific head and body height that it's really unlikely that a game that is in part a parody of JRPGs is only going to use them out of convenience.

If anything, that game was being lazy by failing to make the world conform to the FF6 style than the other way around. Those sprites are just about the most consistent and coherent visual style that it has, and everything else looks like they just threw together whatever they happened to make.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BSUAJ:G also didn't commit to its look, but it was a freeware game and was otherwise really good, so I gave it a pass.
I disagree. BSUAJ:G was all about the clashing art styles, the recolored megaman sprites and lovely photoshops of b-balls on zombies. It committed to its non-commitment, and it perfectly matched the game's ridiculous yet self-serious mishmash of b-ball trivia and JRPG story format.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have committed fund's to this project after playing up to the spalding factory in the original. You guys should probably think of some stretch goals up to around 200k or so. You're gonna need 'em.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I really didn't like the Penny Arcade game's portraits either, and the general style maybe isn't to everyone's liking, but the sprites are made well, or at the very least they're informed about what makes a good sprite on a technical level, even if they aren't the best artists.

Whereas Barkley 1 breaks all sorts of rules; people have already pointed out the asset theft and the awful "guy dribbling a basketball" sprite, but not--for example--that one pixel might be ten times the size of the pixel next to it, because a sprite was just scaled up instead of being drawn with its size in mind.

It's pretty funny, since they did it so brazenly, but I like good-looking things, and I'm more excited to see Barkley 2 with its original, well-made sprites.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, I'm really digging the shareware-era PC game look it has. The shading and choice of color reminds me of Tyrian in a good way. Barkley Gaiden on the other hand made for kind of a fun personal game of guessing the source for the sprites they ripped but ultimately I'm glad they went with original art for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

That looks less like a game and more like someone re-imagined Penny Arcade as a late 90s/early 2000s spritehack webcomic.