Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evensevenone posted:

"Our education system isn't good enough" is CEO-speak for "we don't want to train people and we don't want to pay the salaries that experienced people deserve."

That said I think there is a growing divorce between what engineers learn in school and what they need to know on the job, but at the same time I think employers need to step up with training; there's way too much that is going to be specific to a certain business.

Moving things overseas is pretty much driven by the drive to greatly increase the bottom line since overall labor costs are cheaper and also has the bonus about not worrying about things such as environmental/employee treatment regulations.

It's pretty much making the bottom line better by subjecting people to dangerous industrial revolution like hours and working conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
We're going to see more companies doing this-- I read a few articles about GE and how they brought back some manufacturing to the US and were able to sell the same product cheaper and get more % profit from it.

Natural gas is cheap as gently caress in the US, which factories use. They were able to streamline the process to take the production time from 10~ manhours to 2~. The time to get a product from the factory to retail is like 1 week rather than 5 due to customs and other problems. Wages have been increasing in China year over year, and are predicted to continue to rise 18%~ whereas US wages are actually way lower now (used to be like $21~+/hr and now they can get the same level of employees for $13~14.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shmoogy posted:

We're going to see more companies doing this-- I read a few articles about GE and how they brought back some manufacturing to the US and were able to sell the same product cheaper and get more % profit from it.

Natural gas is cheap as gently caress in the US, which factories use. They were able to streamline the process to take the production time from 10~ manhours to 2~. The time to get a product from the factory to retail is like 1 week rather than 5 due to customs and other problems. Wages have been increasing in China year over year, and are predicted to continue to rise 18%~ whereas US wages are actually way lower now (used to be like $21~+/hr and now they can get the same level of employees for $13~14.

Yea, HN had a link to this article the other day:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2012/12/the-insourcing-boom/309166/

Discussion:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4873542

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

movax posted:

I don't understand his "the educational system is not producing the expertise needed for major manufacturing in consumer electronics, but he hopes that Apple's effort can help spur progress in that area." Our MIT/CalTech/Stanford/etc engineers aren't good enough? There are a lot of good schools pumping out manufacturing engineers (my alma mater included) that are in high demand all over the place. Apple has no shortage of design talent where they are either.

Mac Pro does make sense to be the line assembled over here though.

I think this NY Times article does a better job of presenting the situation with all of its associated nuances than I could: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...yYC2bSwuWOllvw&

There are some really bitter things that it presents, but that's honestly what it takes to make- for example- a phone with a glass touchscreen that can sell in the tens of millions.

To directly address your education question, it's not about the quality of the engineers. It's about the numbers, experience, and work flexibility that those engineers and the manufacturing techs they oversee, for a number of economic and cultural reasons, need to have. Apple employs a ton of those same MIT/Stanford/CalTech engineers you mention in Cupertino- where they design the products, demand much higher salaries and vacation days, and a whole host of other perks that a manufacturing engineer in Shenzen would never even consider asking for. To quote the article:

"Apple’s executives had estimated that about 8,700 industrial engineers were needed to oversee and guide the 200,000 assembly-line workers eventually involved in manufacturing iPhones. The company’s analysts had forecast it would take as long as nine months to find that many qualified engineers in the United States.
In China, it took 15 days."

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 6, 2012

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a Macbook (leaning towards 13" non-retina MBP) and I need some quick advice. I will be using the Macbook on top of a gaming PC, so it would probably mostly be used for web surfing/browsing, phone app development, some programming and matlab. I may also try running some circuit building software (requires windows), but I can always use my desktop or the lab computers at school.

Through the apple education store I see that I have the option of updating the HD to an SSD (albeit a slightly overpriced SSD). How much is it worth upgrading? My only real concern is space, especially if I'm going to be partitioning it to run Quartus II/Altium.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pluckyginger posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a Macbook (leaning towards 13" non-retina MBP) and I need some quick advice. I will be using the Macbook on top of a gaming PC, so it would probably mostly be used for web surfing/browsing, phone app development, some programming and matlab. I may also try running some circuit building software (requires windows), but I can always use my desktop or the lab computers at school.

Through the apple education store I see that I have the option of updating the HD to an SSD (albeit a slightly overpriced SSD). How much is it worth upgrading? My only real concern is space, especially if I'm going to be partitioning it to run Quartus II/Altium.

Look through any of the last 50 pages of this thread, dude. Don't get a 13" MBP- especially for what you're planning to do with it. Get a 13" Macbook Air and never look back.

If you were planning on spending the money to have Apple pop one of their overpriced SSD options in an MBP, then you're muuuuuuch better off just spending the money (probably less) on pimping out an MBA, if you're so worried about space.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pluckyginger posted:

It's an OEM Samsung 830, so just keep that in mind when you're comparing the upgrade price vs buying one from NewEgg and installing it yourself. For the $200 it costs to upgrade to the 128GB on Apple's website you can buy a 256GB SSD on NewEgg and have money left over for beer AND pizza.

The bonus being you can buy a $10 USB 3.0 housing and put the factory hard drive in it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Look through any of the last 50 pages of this thread, dude. Don't get a 13" MBP- especially for what you're planning to do with it. Get a 13" Macbook Air and never look back.

If you were planning on spending the money to have Apple pop one of their overpriced SSD options in an MBP, then you're muuuuuuch better off just spending the money (probably less) on pimping out an MBA, if you're so worried about space.

And for something like hauling a laptop back and forth for school projects, the MBA just ends up being more practical.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Stick100 posted:

No it's CEO-speak for there aren't enough. Our education might create some great engineers but not at the scale apple needs. Apple doesn't need a couple great engineers they need thousands and thousands of specialized engineers, they exist in China, but not the US.

e: I almost probated you for empty-quoting before realizing the quote tag was broken :angel:

Fixed that quote, I didn't think a 2003 would be empty-quoting...

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"Apple’s executives had estimated that about 8,700 industrial engineers were needed to oversee and guide the 200,000 assembly-line workers eventually involved in manufacturing iPhones. The company’s analysts had forecast it would take as long as nine months to find that many qualified engineers in the United States.
In China, it took 15 days."

OK, yeah I'll give you that, finding 8700 good IEs in the States without breaking the bank would be tough as hell.

pluckyginger posted:

You'd better be concerned with space, Quartus + ISE eats up around 40GB on my machine (two version of Quartus and one ISE), though I also need all the device files installed from Cyclone to Stratix. The web edition probably eats up ~4GB or so, if I recall correctly.

That said, the resolution of the 13" MBP sucks, and it'll suck even moreso for IDEs (XCode/Visual Studio/MATLAB) and EDA tools like Altium and FPGA design tools. SSDs do make all the aforementioned tools far more usable though. If you don't need the iOS development capability, you're almost better off looking at a ThinkPad, to be completely honest. Half the tools you listed are Windows/Linux only.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

etalian posted:

And for something like hauling a laptop back and forth for school projects, the MBA just ends up being more practical.

Someone in this thread said something like, "In light of the Macbook Air, the 13 inch non-retina Macbook Pro is the biggest ripoff Apple sells." I don't totally agree with that (and I know Bob Morales really doesn't agree with it) but the (dual core) MBP/MBA relationship is basically the computer version of the Porsche 911/Cayman relationship to me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 6, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Someone in this thread said something like, "In light of the Macbook Air, the 13 inch non-retina Macbook Pro is the biggest ripoff Apple sells." I don't totally agree with that (and I know Bob Morales really doesn't agree with it) but the MBP/MBA relationship is basically the computer version of the Porsche 911/Cayman relationship.

I think the 13" MBP's only saving grace is its price. That screen resolution is just loving atrocious, and there's not even an upgrade option. The 15" non-Retina is already pricey, but if you're really committed to Apple, you can pay like $200 to get matte 1680x1050 action. And to be fair, for a TN screen, that one is really really nice compared to the piece of poo poo on the T420/T430 series.

13" MBP gives you an optical drive/secondary HDD bay, easy to upgrade RAM/drives, and battery life (simply because its bigger). If those are worth a screen from the early 2000s, then I guess its worth it.

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks guys, I generally use NCIX and wasn't seeing better prices on SSDs for some reason (too early in the morning for me obviously). I'll take a closer look around.

I'll take a look at the MBA though, because it does seem like the MBP is just not a good machine. I was looking at it because it is $100 cheaper than the 13" MBA with better specs (except for the HD and apparently the display). Oh, Apple...

I am looking at iOS development on top of web development, so that's why I'm looking at macs. Using lab computers for Altium/Quartus is not the end of the world (and they run the software really well), so living with the space is definitely possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Someone in this thread said something like, "In light of the Macbook Air, the 13 inch non-retina Macbook Pro is the biggest ripoff Apple sells." I don't totally agree with that (and I know Bob Morales really doesn't agree with it) but the (dual core) MBP/MBA relationship is basically the computer version of the Porsche 911/Cayman relationship to me.

I'm with the majority on Pro vs Air. I sold my 2011 13" Pro to get a 2011 13" Air. Basically because of the screen resolution. Before I had more RAM (8GB vs 4GB) and more HD space (Intel 180GB SSD vs 128GB) but for what I do on a laptop it's not that big of a deal. Hell, I can and have gotten by on a 2GB/64GB Air.

Personally, I'd also only get the 15" Pro with the hi-res screen because 110 ppi is some Mickey Mouse poo poo. The loving gloss of the Pro screen drives me nuts too. I don't mind it on my iMac but I don't carry it around to different places so I can control the lighting.

But the fact of matter is a lot of people need > 128GB of storage or > 4GB of RAM and don't want to pay Apple prices for it. Part of me wants to tell people to gently caress off who blurt out "GET THE AIR THE PRO IS SUCK".

The thing is a lot of people don't like the higher-res screen. They hate it. I used to suggest it to people at work when I order their Mac but probably 3/4 want the lower-res screen. But I don't let it bother me when that's what they they want.

Air:
Factory-installed SSD
1440x900 screen (that's the same as the base 15" Pro)
Doesn't have a mega-glossy screen like the Pro

If you need any of the following, go with the Pro:
Gigabit wired ethernet (you can get USB/TB adapters for the Air)
Optical drive (you can get an external optical drive for the Air)
The need for 1TB internal drive
The need for dual internal drives (replace the optical drive with a hard drive)
Firewire! (you can get a TB adapter for the Air)
16GB RAM (2x8GB)
1280x800 because you're blind
The absolute raw performance of a non-ULV Core i7

Right now the refurb store has the 2011 13" Air for $869 which is a pretty darn good price. Assuming they don't put the 2012's on sale for $999 or $1049 or whatever they did last year around this time.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I know this is barely thread-related, but my glee wants to express it: Since my iMac's just around the corner from a couch and TV, I plunked down a measly $14 shipped for a 10' HDMI & 2x 10' USB extension cables from monoprice to hook up MDP -> HDMI out to try out Steam's Big Picture Mode under Win7 64 bootcamped. It's perfect with a wired 360 controller (the headset even works for steam chat) for the games that support gamepads. Since BPM is still new and you need OS controls, the aluminum BT trackpad and keyboard are just so coffeetable friendly that it completes the set. Another upside is that if you're looking to squeeze performance out of older Mac graphics chips, 720p looks a hell of a lot better on your TV than it does 2' from your face @ 27". Apple/Win+Shift+P lets you toggle "this screen / both screens / that screen only" under Win.

TL;DR your Mac is an XBOX.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pluckyginger posted:

Thanks guys, I generally use NCIX and wasn't seeing better prices on SSDs for some reason (too early in the morning for me obviously). I'll take a closer look around.

I'll take a look at the MBA though, because it does seem like the MBP is just not a good machine. I was looking at it because it is $100 cheaper than the 13" MBA with better specs (except for the HD and apparently the display). Oh, Apple...

I am looking at iOS development on top of web development, so that's why I'm looking at macs. Using lab computers for Altium/Quartus is not the end of the world (and they run the software really well), so living with the space is definitely possible.

The thing about the MBA vs the MBP on specs is that I don't think the difference is really all that tangible independent of the storage.

They both have the exact same integrated GPU- which ends up looking better on the MBA's faaar superior screen.

In daily use, the stock MBP actually feels noticeably, considerably slower than the MBA because the hard drive becomes the biggest performance bottleneck. Even if the CPU were miles better than what's in the MBA, it's still getting hamstrung by a 5400rpm HDD. Pop an SSD into it and, sure, you're getting a more powerful computer on paper and in benchmark tests. But as far as I'm aware, the difference in CPU strength isn't practically noticeable- particularly in the sort of stuff you want to do. It shows up on test scores but it's largely meaningless. And then the massive gains you make in size and weight just make the Air so much more enjoyable to use.

Like I said, look through the thread- tons of people (myself included) are using MBAs to program, edit photos, and play Steam games very capably and loving it.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm with the majority on Pro vs Air. I sold my 2011 13" Pro to get a 2011 13" Air. Basically because of the screen resolution. Before I had more RAM (8GB vs 4GB) and more HD space (Intel 180GB SSD vs 128GB) but for what I do on a laptop it's not that big of a deal. Hell, I can and have gotten by on a 2GB/64GB Air...

....But the fact of matter is a lot of people need > 128GB of storage or > 4GB of RAM and don't want to pay Apple prices for it. Part of me wants to tell people to gently caress off who blurt out "GET THE AIR THE PRO IS SUCK"....

.....Right now the refurb store has the 2011 13" Air for $869 which is a pretty darn good price. Assuming they don't put the 2012's on sale for $999 or $1049 or whatever they did last year around this time.

Jeez...sorry dude :shobon: It's because you commit so hard to your point, I guess.

The last 50-odd pages of this thread are punctuated with moments where a guy comes in trying to decide between a Pro and an Air and about five posts later it will just have devolved into a bunch of goons praising their Airs (just wait until later in the day, pluckyginger, there are gonna be like 7 other people in this thread chanting Get the loving Air....Get the loving Air) and Bob Morales in his little corner going "WELL MAYBE SOME PEOPLE NEED BIG HARD DRIVES AND INTERNAL ETHERNET PORTS AND FIREWIRE. THE 13" MBP IS CHEAPER THAN THE 15" ONE. WHAT ABOUT FIREWIRE? VIDEO PROFESSIONALS OFTEN HAVE A LOT OF LEGACY FIREWIRE EQUIPMENT AND IT ISN'T FEASIBLE FOR THEM TO USE A DONGLE. PEOPLE LOSE DONGLES GUYS..."

Sometimes it's difficult to remember that Bob's got an MBA too.

***Honestly, at this point- can't somebody update the OP to include the MBA/MBP argument list as it pertains to this cycle? The one I remember being there now basically says "The MBA is an ultraportable capable of light computing tasks. People interested in Pro-level work should get the computer with 'Pro' in its name" and I don't think that it's a really accurate portrayal of the differences between the two lines. Especially since most of the people coming in with "So I decided to get a 13 inch Macbook Pro..." posts end up getting convinced to get Airs instead.

At this point in the upgrade cycle, I'd honestly just pick up a 2012 refurb at that price, wait for them to get cheaper, or wait until June for the refresh (new computer or even cheaper 2012 refurb...or buy my 2011 for even less when I offload it on SAmart for a 2013 model)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sometimes it's difficult to remember that Bob's got an MBA too.

I had two of them up until a week or so ago :mmmhmm:

It just frustrates the hell out of me that they never offered the Pro with the 1440x900 screen in the first place. It was low-res back in 2009! I'd probably still have my 2010 Pro.

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

***Honestly, at this point- can't somebody update the OP to include the MBA/MBP argument list as it pertains to this cycle? The one I remember being there now basically says "The MBA is an ultraportable capable of light computing tasks. People interested in Pro-level work should get the computer with 'Pro' in its name" and I don't think that it's a really accurate portrayal of the differences between the two lines. Especially since most of the people coming in with "So I decided to get a 13 inch Macbook Pro..." posts end up getting convinced to get Airs instead.

I think this is definitely a great idea. I checked the OP and skimmed the most recent bit of the thread and managed to completely miss any arguments. The OP even mentions that if you're in engineering/science/math you should get a MBP. If I had known what I was starting I would have read the entire thread start-to-finish, haha.

Don't worry, many people who are about to tell me I should just get the Air- I'm 100% convinced. Thanks for all the advice (and for explaining everything again for me).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pluckyginger posted:

I think this is definitely a great idea. I checked the OP and skimmed the most recent bit of the thread and managed to completely miss any arguments. The OP even mentions that if you're in engineering/science/math you should get a MBP. If I had known what I was starting I would have read the entire thread start-to-finish, haha.

Don't worry, many people who are about to tell me I should just get the Air- I'm 100% convinced. Thanks for all the advice (and for explaining everything again for me).

Well a bigger factor in the recommendation for the shift from MBP to Air from a nerd perspective is the Air used to have lots of problems such as overheating, CPU throttling problems and not as nice performance as the MBP models.

But as CPUs improved in terms of thermal dissipation for 2010 onwards the amount of performance delta shrunk and the Air even has a advantage when you compare it to a non-SSD MBP.

The Air started out with lots of annoying technical problems but thanks to better parts for things such as the CPU it really competes well as the best mainstream option for most people.

And the MBA price also got more competitive over time as well such as the most recent Ivy Bridge model getting a $100 price cut.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good point, I'll see if Parrot wants to do it otherwise I'll update that later tonight.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Mercurius posted:

I used to have the same problem when I was running a a poor quality mini-DP to DP cable instead, but switching the cable to use DVI instead of DP on the monitor end fixed it up immediately. From the poking around on forums I did, it's something to do with the way the mini-DP signal is encoded through Thunderbolt in OS X that the Dell monitors don't like when it's coming through the DisplayPort on the monitor. An active mini-DP->DP converter (instead of a passive cable like I used) would probably also fix this.
I have the opposite problem that you have where my miniDP -> DP cable from Monoprice works 100% fine with my U2711 but with a low-resolution Dell screen at work (1680x1050) miniDP-> DVI my rMBP screen begins to start doing really bad tearing constantly on the right part of the screen.

Like hell I'm going to pay for an active DVI adapter out of pocket that costs more than the monitor I'm trying to connect to. I already paid for my rMBP out of pocket.

evensevenone posted:

"Our education system isn't good enough" is CEO-speak for "we don't want to train people and we don't want to pay the salaries that experienced people deserve."
The contradiction is that among world-class top engineers (near-celebrity status) they seem to top out around $1MM / yr, yet companies are constantly demanding "top talent" at the cheapest possible rates while somehow executives just don't seem to have any form of a compensation cap regardless of whether they're "top-notch" or not. Regardless, the standard corporate empty rhetoric is "our company is defined by and competes because of its talented workforce" - no freakin' duh your company is defined by its people, it's literally the definition of a corporation (warm bodies!).

On the flipside, companies are really averse to training up talented people with really expensive resources because they're so likely to jump ship at the slightest hint of greener pastures. Mobility among employees in this respect is better than among executives partly because management professionals tend to have more incentives to stay the course.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They should make a portrait iMac.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
How long does an order for an rMBP take? It's my first time to order a system from them and it has been 3 days now and it is still "processing".

TUSR
Aug 10, 2012

MrBigglesworth posted:

How long does an order for an rMBP take? It's my first time to order a system from them and it has been 3 days now and it is still "processing".

You ordered around the magical holiday season. I think mine was on processing under 3 days. Took about 9 days to get to BC, Canada from China.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Though I'm not technically an engineer, I went to a big engineering school and I've worked around a lot of engineers in my professional career. I really don't know any engineers that are out of work and/or have much difficulty finding jobs. At least the ones that are willing to move to a new place for a job. To me that means there really isn't a surplus of engineers in the US.

Either way, if Apple can't find enough engineers here in the states, why don't they just import them from other countries? That's what colleges seem to do at least. I"m sure there are plenty Indian and Chinese engineers that speak perfect English.

kuskus posted:

I know this is barely thread-related, but my glee wants to express it: Since my iMac's just around the corner from a couch and TV, I plunked down a measly $14 shipped for a 10' HDMI & 2x 10' USB extension cables from monoprice to hook up MDP -> HDMI out to try out Steam's Big Picture Mode under Win7 64 bootcamped. It's perfect with a wired 360 controller (the headset even works for steam chat) for the games that support gamepads. Since BPM is still new and you need OS controls, the aluminum BT trackpad and keyboard are just so coffeetable friendly that it completes the set. Another upside is that if you're looking to squeeze performance out of older Mac graphics chips, 720p looks a hell of a lot better on your TV than it does 2' from your face @ 27". Apple/Win+Shift+P lets you toggle "this screen / both screens / that screen only" under Win.

TL;DR your Mac is an XBOX.

I've heard a lot of good things about this. I might give this a try once my 27inch comes in. Is it possible to get a PS3 controller to work on windows do I need a 360?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Haggins posted:

Though I'm not technically an engineer, I went to a big engineering school and I've worked around a lot of engineers in my professional career. I really don't know any engineers that are out of work and/or have much difficulty finding jobs. At least the ones that are willing to move to a new place for a job. To me that means there really isn't a surplus of engineers in the US.

Either way, if Apple can't find enough engineers here in the states, why don't they just import them from other countries? That's what colleges seem to do at least. I"m sure there are plenty Indian and Chinese engineers that speak perfect English.

Read the article I posted. It's not just about getting the engineers (or semiskilled laborers- which is the real challenge outside of Asia). It sounds terrible, but it's also about what the labor is willing to be paid and put up with. The story about changing the iPhone glass at the last minute and getting a plant full of employees out of bed to pull a full extra shift in order to make up for it is a prime example.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

necrobobsledder posted:

I have the opposite problem that you have where my miniDP -> DP cable from Monoprice works 100% fine with my U2711 but with a low-resolution Dell screen at work (1680x1050) miniDP-> DVI my rMBP screen begins to start doing really bad tearing constantly on the right part of the screen.

Like hell I'm going to pay for an active DVI adapter out of pocket that costs more than the monitor I'm trying to connect to. I already paid for my rMBP out of pocket.
It's funny, I took the miniDP->DP cable that doesn't work in the U2410 home and tried it with my U2711 and it works perfectly. Maybe the U2711 has a different input controller to the U2410 or U3011?

Also, I haven't been able to confirm this but I think what's happening is the computer is treating the monitor as a HDTV instead of a monitor which is why it isn't sending the picture as RGB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2GB 2011 Airs for $699

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Category.htm?catid=204010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Read the article I posted. It's not just about getting the engineers (or semiskilled laborers- which is the real challenge outside of Asia). It sounds terrible, but it's also about what the labor is willing to be paid and put up with. The story about changing the iPhone glass at the last minute and getting a plant full of employees out of bed to pull a full extra shift in order to make up for it is a prime example.

I think biggest issue is the infrastructure/supply chain and not so much the labor. I think the problem with semi skilled labor is that there are not many paths for people who want to pick up a trade and not go to college. It almost feels like you either have to go to college, join the military, or take up a job that requires no special skills. I know in other countries graduating high school students have the option going to trade school if they're not interested in college. Where I grew up, it's either college or you're on your own.

A problem like that can be addressed by opening trade schools (maybe run by community colleges) near the factories. That's exactly what Boeing is doing at their new 787 South Carolina plant. The local community college here offers a certificate program that prepares students to be able to build aircraft. I think it takes less than a year to complete. Obviously that investment would cost money, but any major under taking like a new factory would require something like that. On the other hand, the aviation industry is pretty strong in the US and the new site is able to draw talent from the military and other sites (especially all the jobless workers from Kennedy Space Center). So it's an advantage in Asia right now, but I think it's a very fixable problem with a clear solution.

I don't know if a whole dorm system would work in the US, but I'm sure the workers would be more than willing to put in 12 hour work days 7 days a week when needed. Hell, they do it in my factory when we're trying to make rate. Despite what most people think, America is one of the hardest working countries in the world.

As for the supplies, that one part of the article about having the gasket guy next door the screw guy a couple blocks away really stuck out to me. I don't think there is an easy fix for having all that supplier support close at hand. That's something Apple couldn't easily control. At Boeing we source our parts from all over the world (midbody sections from Italy, forwards from Kansas, Wings from Japan, doors from France) but it's not such a big deal when you're able to fly the parts yourself and you're charging $200+ million an aircraft. I think this is the real issue for Apple.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've heard of skilled labor being an issue in general in the US, supposedly most kids either go into jobs with unskilled labor or college and eventually white collar work, hence some big pushes for trade schools lately (...or that could all just be politics). Whatever the case I'm sure it's not just any one factor as much as a combination of all of them in one way or another.

Bob Morales posted:

They should make a portrait iMac.
Get a rotating VESA mount, unless they managed to kill that feature off too.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Mercurius posted:

It's funny, I took the miniDP->DP cable that doesn't work in the U2410 home and tried it with my U2711 and it works perfectly. Maybe the U2711 has a different input controller to the U2410 or U3011?

Also, I haven't been able to confirm this but I think what's happening is the computer is treating the monitor as a HDTV instead of a monitor which is why it isn't sending the picture as RGB.

I agree with your assumption; OSX is treating the monitor as an HDTV (which should not see RGB). Unfortunately, without the secret handshake of an Apple Cinema it looks to be how it will stay.

Apple doesn't have monitors with VESA mounts anymore so the rotation bug probably won't be fixed either. :(

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Haggins posted:

Is it possible to get a PS3 controller to work on windows do I need a 360?

Apparently with MotioninJoy in conjunction with a USB charger cable and the latest 360 Controller for Windows drivers, you can have your Dualshock 3 puppet the 360 driver. Steam really likes the 360 controller as do many "Games for Windows" but I hear the PS3 controller works stellar in this fashion. I like that Borderlands 2 and Saints Row Third supported subtle vibrations and such with no add'l config.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Can any developers running XCode on a MBA speak a little to its performance? I'm on a 2012 Pro 8GB and XCode runs well.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Haven't heard any complaints about Xcode performance on an Air. Screen resolution is the only complaint I've seen and heard.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks for the reply earlier. Christmas coming up didnt even dawn on me as it was so early in the month when I ordered.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ordered a NuPower battery from OWC for the OG 15" MacBook Pro in our conference room. FedEx just dropped it off. Will report back if it sucks.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I have an optibay-like SSD setup in my mid-09 15" MBP. If I'm looking at getting a new MBP, am I best off saving the optibay and dropping it in my new Pro? Is it going to fit the same way and everything?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Anyone else think that "We're gonna make one of our Mac lines in 'murrka" is gonna turn out to be a MacTV?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are already doing some iMacs here

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Switzerland posted:

Anyone else think that "We're gonna make one of our Mac lines in 'murrka" is gonna turn out to be a MacTV?

No, because it makes more sense in context of Cook's announcement that there will be a major Mac Pro update next year. You get the good publicity of American manufacturing with the already gigantic margins on the Mac Pro and the relatively very low number of units you actually need to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Switzerland posted:

Maybe- but probably mac pro first due to the low yield comparatively with something like a TV.