Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

precision posted:

My favorite is Salarian, because Energy Drain to stun + Headshot. Also Proximity Mine rocks.
Yeah, Energy Drain is the best "hold still" power for a sniping infiltrator. The Geth doesn't have a "hold still" power, so he's better suited for up-close shotgunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I dunno guys, if I use an ability to stagger guys that means either I need to wait for a cooldown to turn on my cloak and get a delicious amount of bonus damage or take the evolution for cloak that lets you fire a power from it and miss out on a delicious amount of bonus damage. Either way I'm losing delicious bonus damage! Also I'm reasonably competent at hitting enemies in the head without staggering them first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ You really don't need the rank 6 damage if you take the rank 4. And Energy Drain is crazy useful for more than just stunlocking; it also keeps you alive. And unless I'm crazy, I believe that if you fire Energy Drain and immediately shoot you still get the damage bonus on both even without Bonus Power anyhow.

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah, Energy Drain is the best "hold still" power for a sniping infiltrator. The Geth doesn't have a "hold still" power, so he's better suited for up-close shotgunning.

Yep.

Also, since my Black Widow is only level II, I went back to my Widow X and goddamn, that thing is just murder on a stick. I got dropped into wave 4 of a match (Geth/London/Gold) and still managed to score over 100k.

precision fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 7, 2012

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

Gangringo posted:

What is the best map/enemy to grind out over cover grabs?

Also what's the story with the new weapon attachment bug? Do all of them not add weight to non-DLC guns or is it only certain ones?

I did it on cerberus/giant. That map has a bunch of mysterious railings out in the middle of the map that enemies seem to like to rush. And the bunker building has those two desks that you can hid around and watch for enemies to take cover on.

A bronze solo got me about 30 grabs in 15-20 minutes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

You really don't need the rank 6 damage if you take the rank 4.

Sorry, you're speaking some kind of language I don't understand.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Cowcaster posted:

What's the verdict on the "snipiest" infiltrator? The geth one? I picked up not only a Black Widow, but a Black Widow 2 tonight and was using it exceptionally effectively with him, but it seems like he would be best suited to a Javelin which I don't have, and that I might be able to crank the dial up to 11 on the Black Widow with a different sniper.

Salarian Inf. as others have said. Cloak, energy drain, then shoot. Energy drain is great for getting rid of shield gates before you shoot. The Geth could work as well but he's the best shotgun infiltrator since Hunter Mode gives a nice accuracy bonus. If you want to snip with him use a scoped Talon.

Gangringo posted:

Also what's the story with the new weapon attachment bug? Do all of them not add weight to non-DLC guns or is it only certain ones?

Giant, geth/cerberus. Use a Vorcha and solo a bronze. Hang out in the control room and you should be able to get a dozen grabs or more per wave.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

precision posted:

And unless I'm crazy, I believe that if you fire Energy Drain and immediately shoot you still get the damage bonus on both even without Bonus Power anyhow.

It seems like that would defeat the purpose, though. If you have to fire immediately you can't really take advantage of the extra time to line up your shot that Energy Drain gives you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry, you're speaking some kind of language I don't understand.

If you take Tactical Cloak's damage bonus instead of Duration at rank 4, you have 80% base damage bonus. That's more than enough, assuming you have a high damage rifle - Widow X, Javelin, etc. Not to mention Sniper Rail Amps, bonus damage from Sniper gear (Operative Package), and hell, you can even take Weapon Damage at rank 4 of your Racial instead of Power Damage/Capacity if you really want to.

Carrasco posted:

It seems like that would defeat the purpose, though. If you have to fire immediately you can't really take advantage of the extra time to line up your shot that Energy Drain gives you.

:ssh: Energy Drain does damage, too.

You can do it either way. Energy Drain to line up a shot with Bonus Power, or line up the shot ahead of time and do the two-step. Either way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

More than enough? Or not enough at all? I rest my case. :c00lbert:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Gangringo posted:

I always get a lot of grab kills on Giant, lots of chest high cover all around the map. A common strategy is to camp the control room behind one of the consoles and let them come to you but it seemed horribly boring. I liked Cerberus since they take cover themselves a lot and you can run up and get them while just moving around the map. I haven't done any specific grinding for it though, I've still got 25 left.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I dunno guys, if I use an ability to stagger guys that means either I need to wait for a cooldown to turn on my cloak and get a delicious amount of bonus damage or take the evolution for cloak that lets you fire a power from it and miss out on a delicious amount of bonus damage. Either way I'm losing delicious bonus damage! Also I'm reasonably competent at hitting enemies in the head without staggering them first.

You can get the bonus damage to powers and guns by:
1) Using a power, then shooting in the next ~2 seconds
2) Shooting, then use a power within ~1 second.

Taking bonus power only lets you use a power and stay cloaked. This is extremely useful for the N7 Shadow, and mostly useless for everyone else.

Also, you totally want the rank 6 damage if you plan on using a sniper rifle. Unlike the usual damage bonuses, the cloak sniper rifle bonus is an actual 1.25x multiplier. Most sniper rifles are actually bad to mediocre without that bonus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

More than enough? Or not enough at all? I rest my case. :c00lbert:

Outside of Platinum, you legit don't need All The Bonus Damage. You can one-shot pretty much anything, especially if as you say you always get headshots.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

precision posted:

Outside of Platinum, you legit don't need All The Bonus Damage. You can one-shot pretty much anything, especially if as you say you always get headshots.

Well I just took out the salarian and flubbed All The Headshots so this is your fault :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cowcaster posted:

Cloak -> Drain -> Shoot. You still get the cloak bonus for 2.5 seconds after you break it, and the power's cooldown will be replaced by Cloak's rather short one, meaning you get the best of everything. It's very useful for Cerberus troopers running around like they're on some sort of space crack that makes them not have to be tied down by inertia.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

Cloak -> Drain -> Shoot. You still get the cloak bonus for 2.5 seconds after you break it, and the power's cooldown will be replaced by Cloak's rather short one, meaning you get the best of everything. It's very useful for Cerberus troopers running around like they're on some sort of space crack that makes them not have to be tied down by inertia.

Actually after trying it out this is actually quite effective and I should apologize to everyone who recommended the Salarian infiltrator.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, I had an interesting gold game with Gangringo, we were doing pretty good and then he loses his connection and I get booted because :bioware:. I come back (somehow) and end up with a medal count that has doubles of medals:

So I'm happy that I didn't suck up the place for once, but then when I tried to cash my 78k credits they disappeared, and none of the information from that game saved for no reason. Anyone ever get that?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So, I had an interesting gold game with Gangringo, we were doing pretty good and then he loses his connection and I get booted because :bioware:. I come back (somehow) and end up with a medal count that has doubles of medals:

So I'm happy that I didn't suck up the place for once, but then when I tried to cash my 78k credits they disappeared, and none of the information from that game saved for no reason. Anyone ever get that?

The double medals thing also happens when the host leaves the game mid game and you get the same amount of kills during the other half. I've had it happen multiple times though that it gets confused and just doubles the medals (like I got 3 grabs first half before host left and none the rest and got two 3 grabs medals).

Also occasionally the credits don't pop up for a game or two when that happened to me. Of course there were sometimes the credits never showed up either too so just hope for the best I guess.

In other news I was trying out the Collector Sniper Rifle X and it seems to melt things with armor. The only main complaint is the horrible reload animation/time, but has anyone else tried this out and found it good or am I just going crazy?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Update on this bronze-only pubbie scrub's progress: now only rolling Volus Engineer.

"Contract fulfilled." :smug:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Piedmon Sama posted:

Update on this bronze-only pubbie scrub's progress: now only rolling Volus Engineer.

"Let's get paid!" :haw:

All the volus are amazing. Sentinel is actually pretty rad once you realise combat drone and decoy are on 1-1.5s cooldowns and last for ages, so you can basically perma-shieldboost and still do your aggro pulling magic.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Are the credits showing up in the N7HQ, but not in the game? I've had them not show up in the game, but restarting solved the problem.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Not in N7HQ or the game, it was as if I never played that round at all.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
This is probably a long-shot, and probably won't happen until ME4 multiplayer, (if ever). But I find myself wishing that there was an "Objective mode" multiplayer. So like it's still 10 waves, but it might be a long corridor kind of thing. Like, you storm a base and each wave, you have to fight until the door is open or something, and waves 3, 6 and 10 you have to complete an objective just like now. I just feel like this could potentially breakup the "running in circles" that seems to happen on most matches, running around the map looking for enemies. Additionally, since each section (wave) would be a rather small area, there wouldn't be much area for your team to split apart.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

precision posted:

If you take Tactical Cloak's damage bonus instead of Duration at rank 4, you have 80% base damage bonus. That's more than enough
Duration is also pretty drat useful for objectives and ressing people. It can turn a bad situation around far more than the bonus damage can.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Unclouded posted:

In other news I was trying out the Collector Sniper Rifle X and it seems to melt things with armor. The only main complaint is the horrible reload animation/time, but has anyone else tried this out and found it good or am I just going crazy?
Fire it in short bursts then let it refill to avoid the reload; unlike its AR cousin, it has no spinup so there's no benefit to drawing out the firing time. It's a decent weapon (especially with Cloak) and can be a lot of fun, but there are a couple issues with it besides the reload. The beam actually has a finite length, and doesn't reach all the way across some levels. At the same time, the scope zooms rather a lot, which means at its most effective range for sighting you run into issues of your beam running out of distance.

Piedmon Sama posted:

Remember to not look at the explosion as you walk away from the Recon Mine you just detonated to nuke a spawn and get a killstreak.

Psimitry posted:

This is probably a long-shot, and probably won't happen until ME4 multiplayer, (if ever). But I find myself wishing that there was an "Objective mode" multiplayer. So like it's still 10 waves, but it might be a long corridor kind of thing. Like, you storm a base and each wave, you have to fight until the door is open or something, and waves 3, 6 and 10 you have to complete an objective just like now. I just feel like this could potentially breakup the "running in circles" that seems to happen on most matches, running around the map looking for enemies. Additionally, since each section (wave) would be a rather small area, there wouldn't be much area for your team to split apart.
Sounds like you want Unreal Tournament's Assault mode. That was the greatest thing, but I suspect it would take a lot of work to make those maps and have them be at all interesting at today's graphics and detail standards.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Ahahahahaa so I thought that the QME was good because you could get a couple tech bursts of after throwing an arc grenade. Then today I figured out you can also throw incinerate and use ammo powers to prime for fire explosions first. All while carrying an acolyte and ULM Hurricane at 200% cool down.

I didn't think this class could get any better. Not it just feels like cheating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

precision posted:

The Kishock is a great weapon on nearly any character. I don't know why that had to be "proved", nor why it seems like nobody has noticed how good it is.

I find the reload and the slow rate of fire to be pretty big handicaps. Even on silver I found myself back pedaling a lot without a character that had an ability to speed those things up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also projectile weapons have certain issues when you have a bit of latency, and I plain don't like charge-up weapons a lot of the time.

It's not a bad gun, but it's not one I choose to use with any regularity.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Did I just hear right that we can't reduce the shield gate more than every 4 seconds? That would explain getting my shields back and still being one shotted immediately after using recharge bonuses.
Yeah, that's correct. Similar gameplay quirks can be found here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/9822648

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also projectile weapons have certain issues when you have a bit of latency, and I plain don't like charge-up weapons a lot of the time.

It's not a bad gun, but it's not one I choose to use with any regularity.

Yeah, rule of thumb is to never ever use charge up weapons if you're not hosting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paracelsus posted:

Sounds like you want Unreal Tournament's Assault mode. That was the greatest thing, but I suspect it would take a lot of work to make those maps and have them be at all interesting at today's graphics and detail standards.

My own wish would be more for an L4D-style procedural multiplayer where there's the same basic overall structure to a mission but many divergent paths and random events along the way. You could even take a "greatest hits" summary of the best missions from the first three games and rework them into a co-op setting. Imagine doing the Citadel climb culminating in the battle with Saren with 3 friends. I hope ME4 is just entirely MP so people can stop talking about the story and get on with their lives.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Goddammit, I don't have any good ARs. A ton of snipers, shotguns, and pistols at rank 8 or higher, but the only AR I've maxed is the default one.

Also have a rank 8 thing that came in the first batarian pack but it's terrible and creates non-damaging explosions

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

My own wish would be more for an L4D-style procedural multiplayer where there's the same basic overall structure to a mission but many divergent paths and random events along the way. You could even take a "greatest hits" summary of the best missions from the first three games and rework them into a co-op setting. Imagine doing the Citadel climb culminating in the battle with Saren with 3 friends. I hope ME4 is just entirely MP so people can stop talking about the story and get on with their lives.

This and a collector base suicide run co-op mission would be the best thing ever.

Man, if you had told me a year ago that the only thing I would end up enjoying long term in mass effect 3, was the multiplayer component, I would have called you a crazy lunatic. But if Bioware came out tomorrow and said they're putting off all single player development for the foreseeable future, in order to concentrate on mass effect multiplayer titles, I would be loving ecstatic.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

subroc posted:

Yeah, that's correct. Similar gameplay quirks can be found here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/9822648

This...explains a lot. Very helpful, thanks!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

subroc posted:

quote:

The damage of power combo explosions depends on the rank of the source and detonator power, not the stats of the power. So if you combine a rank 6 Pull with a rank 6 Throw, you will get maximum combo damage. Whether you use Throw or Warp to detonate doesn't really matter, except when that power has special upgrades to increase the damage of combos. Even if Warp, by default, does more damage than Throw on a regular impact, this does not affect how much damage is done on power combos - only the rank of the power matters.

Well gently caress me, I've been playing adepts all wrong.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah that's why the rank 5 passive bonus isn't really necessary on characters like the fury, where you're getting most of your damage from combos. It's also the only reason why I bother with rank 6 of Shockwave.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On my Adepts I go to the Rank 5 passive for Asari, Drell, Justicar, and Krogan too I guess but who really plays him. The rest are too close-range and/or squishy to comfortably put only 3 ranks in Fitness for me, but it's all up to personal preference.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I can see the reasons for maximizing Reave damage, but does the asari adept really benefit from +15% power damage? That's good for 30 points of damage on Throw and not a whole lot else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Personally I take the Power Damage passive on anyone who has Reave or Dark Channel because it melts poo poo and very often I get dropped into games where I'm the only Adept.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Razin posted:

Ahahahahaa so I thought that the QME was good because you could get a couple tech bursts of after throwing an arc grenade. Then today I figured out you can also throw incinerate and use ammo powers to prime for fire explosions first. All while carrying an acolyte and ULM Hurricane at 200% cool down.

I didn't think this class could get any better. Not it just feels like cheating.
I use a Mattock X with my QME, and it works wonderfully. Super-low cooldowns and great all-purpose firepower. I mean sure, the Hurricane shits out tons of damage and all, but the Mattock is fantastic for laying down consistent fire at pretty much any range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Asari Adept plays a lot better as a weapon class. She's outclassed badly by the other adepts if you try to use her as a power class.

• Locked thread