Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

Re: going to culinary school. Please pop by the industry thread and talk it out first. There are options. Cooking for people who appreciate it is sexy. Cooking for a living is a long, sloe slog through hell.

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

bunnielab posted:

It is nice to every once and a while just savage a duck. If you get a small one you feel like a giant in a fairy tale.

I realized I was channeling my inner caveman around the time I ripped off half the ribs and peeled them away from the breast rather than try to carve it off without loving up.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Daeren posted:

I realized I was channeling my inner caveman around the time I ripped off half the ribs and peeled them away from the breast rather than try to carve it off without loving up.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is putting away the leftovers of a roast chicken or turkey. The "I'm just separating the meat from the bones" part where I am actually just ripping all the meat/skin that was not carved off the carcass and shoving it in my mouth instead of saving it for leftover ...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

You, me, some lemon juice, a little albumen...how about it?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I'm doing really well for myself. I'll be heading to culinary school this January.

Fair warning, working in professional kitchens literally put me in a mental institution twice, so you might want to consider an alternative career path if you want to keep yourself sane.

Other than that, good luck with your family and when they're in season again you could do persimmon with the star anise cookies, I feel like that would be really tasty.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

so you might want to consider an alternative career path if you want to keep yourself sane.

He's lying, what he really meant to say was that kitchens are awesome, especially for people who are a bit off-kilter.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I do know perfectly well adjusted people in kitchens, but none above sous.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Read through the industry thread, still feel crazy enough to desire culinary school and bust my rear end.

In other news, I made my first few artisan breads today. They turned out loving awesome and I am so pleased.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
what about reading that thread made you think going to culinary school was a necessary step in your cooking career?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And what makes a bread artisan?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Too much flour on the outside and a burnt crust.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
That's "Rustic".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Charmmi posted:

That's "Rustic".

Artisan means you shaped it funny.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Buggery.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Everyone's wrong. Artisan is Latin for "double the price".

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whenever i made artisan bread i do it in animal skins, to a loud loop of ambient noise from a construction site

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you wanna get on some next level poo poo, proclick zone below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Aw9OdyZ6s

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

As the owner of two cats, I can tell you that this is precisely accurate.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

mindphlux posted:

Enjoying the related 'how to groom your rabbit' and 'some kind of anime gently caress video'

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko I don't even...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

Mondiale guerre sans fin, sans commencement révolution, dada m'dada, dada m'dada dada mhm, dada dera dada...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

whenever i made artisan bread i do it in animal skins, to a loud loop of ambient noise from a construction site
I make mine while wearing a rough hessian jerkin, leather apron and wooden clogs.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I do mine naked suspended from a fly by wire system.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

GrAviTy84 posted:

I do mine naked suspended from a fly by wire system.

Really this is the only way to do it. Only thing better is including a drum circle.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

My brother-in-law just finished culinary school, has almost 60k in debt and can't find a starting job making more than 10 bucks an hour (Utah). Granted, he is a dipshit who wont shut the gently caress up about making foams and beet juice extraction sauces, which his Instructors called "Genius".

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone ever made the charcuterie holiday ham? or has anyone ever cured/smoked/whatever their own ham before?

I gotta admit, I really love honey baked hams. this year though, I was tasked with cooking christmas dinner for a large group. I want to do a "better" ham - get some berkshire, cure it myself, smoke it or roast it or whatever, and get a crispy honeyed bark on the outside. I'm really nervous about this though, because I've never done it - and really don't have the time or resources to cure something in advance just to see if my technique is right.

argh, maybe I should just buy a honey baked ham. :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

has anyone ever made the charcuterie holiday ham? or has anyone ever cured/smoked/whatever their own ham before?

I gotta admit, I really love honey baked hams. this year though, I was tasked with cooking christmas dinner for a large group. I want to do a "better" ham - get some berkshire, cure it myself, smoke it or roast it or whatever, and get a crispy honeyed bark on the outside. I'm really nervous about this though, because I've never done it - and really don't have the time or resources to cure something in advance just to see if my technique is right.

argh, maybe I should just buy a honey baked ham. :(

Make one and but also buy a back up ham? You can never have too much ham.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's how we get ham and bacon and such when we slaughter our pigs, but we do it on a pretty large scale. It seems like it would hardly be worth it to get all the ingredients to cure just one ham.

What I'm saying is that you should be thinking bigger.

But essentially we do a dry salt cure in big barrels and then smoke in a little shed.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 8, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Do a whole flock of pigs worth.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A group of pigs is a squad. :cop:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlFAfoC-N8

Oh god :stonk:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I can't eat Sodium nitrite or Sodium nitrate. Very bad things happen and I don't like the Emergency Room. Am I completely screwed in regards to eating charcuterie? It all looks so delicious, but it all seems to involve chemicals that would cause me hours of debilitating agony.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

I can't eat Sodium nitrite or Sodium nitrate. Very bad things happen and I don't like the Emergency Room. Am I completely screwed in regards to eating charcuterie? It all looks so delicious, but it all seems to involve chemicals that would cause me hours of debilitating agony.

Rillettes, pates, galantines, duck prosciutto, and confit don't need nitra(i)tes. Bacon doesn't NEED it but it won't be that pretty rosy color and you can't store it for nearly as long, though if you smoke it, you get nitrate formation on the surface of the meat (this is where the pink smoke ring comes from).

I'm curious, does celery give you the same reaction? All of the "nitrate free" and "no nitrate added" foods still have nitrate, some in far greater amounts than the convetional cured foods. They do this by adding celery juice or extract, but since celery is a crop whose constituent chemical concentrations vary from plant to plant, they just put a shitton in there so that even at lowest quantities, there is still enough to prevent botulism.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

New England style corned beef is the first thing that comes to mind. You can also do bacon without pink salt. Duck prosciutto and most preserved fish is made without nitrates/ites. The function of nitrites is to maintain color, add a certain tenderness and flavor, and prevent the growth of C. Botulinim spores- the ones that produce a toxin that will loving kill you dead. Anything with ground meat that's going to be aged (some sausages, etc.) needs nitrites to be completely safe. Whole muscle curing can generally be done without them, but the meat will turn grey.

You're not going to find a lot of nitrite-free charcuterie in stores or restaurants, so you will just have to make it yourself. This is not a bad thing, because charcuterie is fun!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I made a corned beef without pink salt, it was goddamn delicious. It was missing "something", which I gather is the pink salt taste, but it was still loads better than the store bought ones, and pretty easy. We really didn't have to worry about storing it though, we ate it all for St. Patrick's Day/my husband's birthday.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's how we get ham and bacon and such when we slaughter our pigs, but we do it on a pretty large scale. It seems like it would hardly be worth it to get all the ingredients to cure just one ham.

What I'm saying is that you should be thinking bigger.

But essentially we do a dry salt cure in big barrels and then smoke in a little shed.

wait what?

what do you mean - what ingredients would I even need to cure one ham? if you mean pink salt, I already have it on hand - I make my own bacon and sausages and stuff pretty frequently.

honestly am just worried about getting a juicy, tender, cracklin'y "honey glazed" result more than anything...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 9, 2012

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Rillettes, pates, galantines, duck prosciutto, and confit don't need nitra(i)tes. Bacon doesn't NEED it but it won't be that pretty rosy color and you can't store it for nearly as long, though if you smoke it, you get nitrate formation on the surface of the meat (this is where the pink smoke ring comes from).

I'm curious, does celery give you the same reaction? All of the "nitrate free" and "no nitrate added" foods still have nitrate, some in far greater amounts than the convetional cured foods. They do this by adding celery juice or extract, but since celery is a crop whose constituent chemical concentrations vary from plant to plant, they just put a shitton in there so that even at lowest quantities, there is still enough to prevent botulism.

Thanks all for the information. I meant to post this in the charcuterie thread.

To the best of my knowledge I've never had celery trigger one of my god-awful migraines. However, I don't really eat it often.

I noticed a few years ago that a lot of the foods I'm not fond of were foods that contained migraine triggers, so it may fall into that category.

Plus if celery extract/juice is triggering migraines, I might have just found at least one explanation for the migraines that happen when I've seemingly eaten noting wrong.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I saw this and got so sad. I also think their cooking has gotten even worse over time (it was never good to begin with). They're just even lazier than normal :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's all that bacon. That and the liquor. And the internet money. I really would like to know how much they make off an average video, or if it's all coming in from their store now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Manuel Calavera posted:

I really would like to know how much they make off an average video, or if it's all coming in from their store now.
All I know about Epic Meal Time is that they have a shitload of stuff at Hot Topic and that Hot Topic is where kids who can't drive yet go to spend their parents' love money while thinking they're being rebellious for buying overpriced T-shirts. So my guess is that they're making money hand over fist from their store.