Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

precision posted:

Personally I take the Power Damage passive on anyone who has Reave or Dark Channel because it melts poo poo and very often I get dropped into games where I'm the only Adept.

Same. I don't really combo much with the Justicar these days unless I have a biotic teammate who knows what they're doing. I just melt barriers and armor with Reave and use it to set up warp ammo bonuses.

Nordick posted:

I use a Mattock X with my QME, and it works wonderfully. Super-low cooldowns and great all-purpose firepower. I mean sure, the Hurricane shits out tons of damage and all, but the Mattock is fantastic for laying down consistent fire at pretty much any range.

I use the Raptor and an Acolyte on mine. Heavy barrel and thermal scope are great and they don't add weight to the Raptor so you've got +170% cooldown with two good guns.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Asari Adept plays a lot better as a weapon class. She's outclassed badly by the other adepts if you try to use her as a power class.

Could you post your build. Last time I used her I went 6/6/6/5/3 but that was months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how should I be speccing my fury and justicar then? I usually just dropped 3 in the detonator power.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For the Justicar I actually go 0/6/6/6/6, taking Assault Rifle Weight Reduction so I can carry a Harrier and still spam Reave. Now that :turianass: camping :turianass: is no longer a thing, I just don't really feel like loving with the Bubble at all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Alteisen posted:

So how should I be speccing my fury and justicar then? I usually just dropped 3 in the detonator power.
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Adept/NFury/RNOFF//////
This is my Fury spec. I find the AF movement speed evo really helps in getting up to things and exploding them before they can even react.
Hurricane for a weapon, obviously. Don't wanna use an Acolyte since it would kinda gently caress with the shield drain evo in AF.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zoran posted:

I can see the reasons for maximizing Reave damage, but does the asari adept really benefit from +15% power damage? That's good for 30 points of damage on Throw and not a whole lot else.

It's just out of tradition mostly. I've done 5/3 and 4/4 in the past without it really affecting my survivability on AA, so why not get that little bit extra out of Warp/Throw.

precision posted:

For the Justicar I actually go 0/6/6/6/6, taking Assault Rifle Weight Reduction so I can carry a Harrier and still spam Reave. Now that :turianass: camping :turianass: is no longer a thing, I just don't really feel like loving with the Bubble at all.

I don't know too much about that, bubble is awesome and one of the most enjoyable parts to playing Justicar is detonating it on a group of enemies or figuring out the best spots on maps to place them. But it takes all sorts, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know too much about that, bubble is awesome and one of the most enjoyable parts to playing Justicar is detonating it on a group of enemies or figuring out the best spots on maps to place them. But it takes all sorts, I guess.

I'm p lazy sometimes. I used to love the Bubble's super-detonation deal but then I realized I could just Reave then shoot in face with a Warp Ammo'd Harrier and kill things just as fast.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

precision posted:

I'll keep 3 ranks in the bubble and use a lighter gun. I don't like the low ammo on the harrier unless I'm using it on a melee class or something with grenades where I'm hitting ammo boxes anyways. I like the Hurricane/Acolyte combo.

Alteisen posted:

Here's my builds:
Justicar
Fury

I'm not saying they're perfect or the only way to spec but they work well. Distruptor ammo on the Talon will let you kill shields really quick with tech bursts as a Fury.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

According to this formula from BSN nerds, explosions (biotic or otherwise) are only penalized 6% damage per level under 6/6. If those extra 6 points are useful elsewhere, going r5 on shockwave still leaves you with 94% explosion damage (and 5/5 is 88%).

This is also why detonate evolutions are so important. The 50% explosion bonus is multiplicative too. A Fury with r6 AF (w/ damage taken) and r5 detonate throw does 162% damage with explosions, vs. only 115% for 6/6 without detonate (and 172% for 6/6 with detonate).

Human and Krogan Shamans rock so much rear end because detonate/expose warp + detonate shockwave does a massive 285% damage (reduced to 268% for 6/5 or 250% for 5/5).

vvv Mostly I was trying to point out that min/maxing by going 6/6 for explosions isn't really worth it, because 6/5 or 5/5 is nearly as good. :) vvv

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stop mathing up the thread. It makes my brain hurt.

(Nah, thanks for the info, though in practice I just can't bring myself to :sperg: out enough to min-max anything, ever, in this game. And yet I min-max the singleplayer to a ridiculous degree...)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Stickman posted:

According to this formula from BSN nerds, explosions (biotic or otherwise) are only penalized 6% damage per level under 6/6 (multiplicative). If those extra 6 points are useful elsewhere, going r5 on shockwave still leaves you with 94% explosion damage.

I thought it was a bigger penalty than that. This is good to know.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm a sucker for these sorts of things. I always knew the per-rank bonuses to explosions weren't that big, but I never bothered actually running the numbers, so thanks.

I used to min-max the single-player a lot—particularly in ME1—but nowadays I just cheat myself extra skill points. Why should I deny myself all the toys? I've modified the single-player difficulty to compensate.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Asari Adept plays a lot better as a weapon class. She's outclassed badly by the other adepts if you try to use her as a power class.
I think the Asari adept is better for people of average skill because it is super easy to use on a good connection. Maybe drell adept is a bit easier to use but I've seen a lot of bad drell adepts.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I thought it was a bigger penalty than that. This is good to know.

It's also good to know that combos don't scale to enemy health. I always thought that Pull combos would be weaker because you have to use them on mooks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The size of the detonation definitely feels like it scales to the unit that it's being used on, although I've never checked to see if it's true.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Yeah it does seem larger on larger units. Its great using an atlas as a beacon for combos and wiping out the smaller guys clustered around it in the process.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

I hope ME4 is just entirely MP so people can stop talking about the story and get on with their lives.
They already have this, it's known as Call of Duty. Last thing I want is Bioware making GBS threads out a slightly remasked MP title every year. The MP has been fun, way more fun that I ever thought it would be but if I want to play a shooter then I'll buy a shooter. I play ME for space opera nonsense, punching people out of windows and extreme workplace harassment.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1 vindicator and 5 my uncommon poo poo is DONE!

Is the hornet any good? At 8 it seems to be my highest rare weapon.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alteisen posted:

Some people like it, I find it hard to do much damage with it even on characters that are supposed to make weapons better like the TSol.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you don't have a Hurricane, the Hornet is a very good SMG, I would say better than the Tempest.

The stability and new barrel mods really do great things for that gun

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Alteisen posted:

It really struggles against armoured targets but it's a good trash clearer. Kickback can be a little much though so you may want to use a stability mod or consumable.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The Hornet is decent if you have stabilization bonuses, either from the weapon mod, a gear bonus, a Turian passive bonus, or an armour consumable. It's one of the few weapons that is actually accurate enough that the recoil is the main issue. It's also unique in that it does enough damage that it's actually worth using, unlike the Vindicator or the Incisor.

I wouldn't recommend it on the Tsol. Even without any RoF bonuses you need to click 3 times per second, so there's no sense in making that more annoying. Also, the accuracy bonus is used to make weapons like the Hurricane or the Revenant awesome, or the Piranha even more awesome.

Slapping on the TSent, on the other hand, is a nice idea. You can use overload to set up for headshots, warp to weaken armour, and it all comes together fairly nicely.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Pubbie's Lament: Today I decide to finally use some of my precious, long-hoarded one-use mods. Thinking I'll do just one round today and might as well make it good, I take explosive rounds, assault rifle amp, and shield regeneration. Loaded right into Round 10 of a match in progress :negative:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If it makes you feel any better explosive rounds suck.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

You didn't lose much, all of those except for the ammo are just minor buffs to your passives.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Tried the Raider out today and wow that's a boss-killer with the heavy barrel and choke. :stare: If I ever tried out the GethInf again (unlikely), that's the weapon I'd go for.

E: Oh, and Hurricane VIII. :smug:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

3rd Operation in a row where I've gotten a Valkyrie. :argh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Eagle VII :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On the subject of explosions:

Apparently radius also scales with power level. Biotic, fire, and cryo explosions all scale from 2 to 4 m, so a 6/6 explosion goes 4 meters losing 0.2 m for every reduced level (6/5 has a 3.8m radius). I'm not exactly sure what the tech burst radius is currently, but it used to be 4.5-7.5m, meaning that tech bursts lose 0.3m per reduced level.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Felinoid posted:

Tried the Raider out today and wow that's a boss-killer with the heavy barrel and choke. :stare: If I ever tried out the GethInf again (unlikely), that's the weapon I'd go for.

E: Oh, and Hurricane VIII. :smug:

Hurricane VIII smug club itt :smug::hf::smug:

The Raider pairs nice with BatVanguard too. You'll be up close anyway punching skulls in, might as well bring a gun suited for that.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
4 more weeks until no more eagles and crusaders.

Actually the eagle works pretty well with warp ammo abuse, it gets more mileage from me than the valiant does. And the crusaders pretty beast on a quarian male infiltrator with shock trooper gear, so I just want a higher level hurricane than III really.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I dunno, I really want to like the Cruasder, but that slight firing delay isn't making it easy. Of course, that being the case, it's my highest level N7 weapon :negative:

Got an Eagle V today though, which I'm ok with. It could have been another Crusader or Valkyrie instead, so I'm no complaining :I

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Looks like the N7 program has had to get a lot less picky about their candidates.

(poor guy was stuck in that animation for the whole match, though his sprint animation was ok)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Got an Eagle V from the commendation pack, but afterwards I picked up a Talon VII so I'll just treat that as my actual award here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

I dunno, I really want to like the Cruasder, but that slight firing delay isn't making it easy. Of course, that being the case, it's my highest level N7 weapon :negative:

I like the Crusader, but it's a little too heavy for the classes I'd really like to use it on (Asari Vanguard mostly). Mine is only at III though. It's great for the whole shotgun infiltrator thing as well as any Krogan minus the Battlemaster possibly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hehahahahahahah.

I haven't played ME3 in a week because I was playing Black Ops II. First game back, I get jerked around like a rag doll by the Geth stagger, constantly can't activate my Havoc Charge or Stim Packs due to lag and die because of it (including one time where the Stim Pack activated after I died!) and then right after the game ended, I lost my connection and couldn't get back on. I don't have a :jerkbag: big enough for that.

Also, I thought if you took the Incendiary Strike evo at Rank 6, Havoc Strike was supposed to detonate Fire Explosions, wasn't it?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Looks like the N7 program has had to get a lot less picky about their candidates.

(poor guy was stuck in that animation for the whole match, though his sprint animation was ok)

I didn't see any of that... then again you didn't see me either :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Piedmon Sama posted:

The Pubbie's Lament: Today I decide to finally use some of my precious, long-hoarded one-use mods. Thinking I'll do just one round today and might as well make it good, I take explosive rounds, assault rifle amp, and shield regeneration. Loaded right into Round 10 of a match in progress :negative:

You know if you leave a game quickly after joining (I think within 10 minutes), none of your consumables get consumed, right?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Piedmon Sama posted:

Oh man I fell into Wave 9 today. I only really had time for one game (because when you factor in all the time looking at space coffee and disconnects it takes 45 minutes to play one round) and was pretty bummed out that was it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Burning Mustache posted:

I dunno, I really want to like the Cruasder

Crusader VII here and I love it. Usually put it on a Krogan who wants to play Sniper. :v:

Guess I'll go do the Operation soon. I've given up hope on ever getting a Valiant, I'd be happy with another Crusader or Hurricane II. Eagle IV would be alright I guess.

edit: Man I'd love getting dropped into wave 9 or 10. That's 30k space bucks for like 5 minutes of playtime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
^^ If only I could trade you a valiant TF2 style :arghfist::(

Valiant IV. Never use it so meh. Maybe I'll chuck it on a quarian or salarian engineer. I really want to try out the valkyrie but no luck so far. Doesn't help that I'm normally only able to do a couple operations a month.

• Locked thread