Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
God drat it! All the stores around me are starting to have poo poo selection for tools. Lowes doesn't carry flare nut wrenches any more. The Craftsman set at Sears looks cheap but isn't priced that way. Are HF's flare nut wrenches good for things that mustn't be rounded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Preoptopus posted:

Is any one else's Matco guy a complete and utter dick for no good reason?

Mine's not a dick but he has no clue how to sell one of his lovely tools.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

Jared592 posted:

Ouch man c'mon

E: I've always twist-and-soldered my car stereo wires and never had one come loose, though I'm willing to play around with crimping. Won't be the same without the smell of burning wire insulation though.

There is more to Quality Control with soldering. Each job is different. It is easier to calibrate a crimper or a machine. A dumbass with a soldering iron cannot be calibrated. My company does neither: a story of how peacefrog spent last winter staring into a microscope. Your crimps look like gently caress at 40x. I can't even get your solderblobs into my depth of field. Wash that flux off!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lord Gaga posted:

-ONLY USE UL LISTED TERMINALS. Autozone/Cheapest at Walmart/HF are not UL listed.
-ONLY USE UL listed WIRE. This is very important.

I thought UL was pretty much bullshit. :confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A properly done crimp with a good quality ratchet/hydro crimper is just as good as a perfectly done solder joint, and it's impossible to have solder accidentally wick up the strands of the wire and create a stress riser past the insulation/stress relief sleeve.

That's why I use a decent ratchet crimper and sealant lined transparent heatshrink 3M terminals with fully brazed ferrules. Never had a failure.

Crappy terminals and crappy crimpers can't compare.

I think I bought my crimper for $25 or $30 at autozone, it doesn't have to be a massively expensive one, just make sure you do a few test crimps and pull-test them, then adjust the crimp firmness accordingly.

e: also, UL can go to hell, look at the terminals and decide if they're quality yourself. And IIRC UL has nothing to do with rating automotive grade wire (unless it's cited in the respective SAE specs) - all the quality SXL-spec automotive primary wire I can find is rated to SAE J1128 with no direct mention of UL.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 8, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Ive crimped RBY terminals that are stronger than the wire behind them.

Do not look at the terminals and decide if theyre good for yourself, how would you make such a decision not stupidly?

Anyway, in this case at least, no UL is not stupid. And with UL crimps and UL wire and a harbor freight ratcheting crimper you will get crimps that meet UL tensile test standards. If you dont use UL wire you wont. I know because I have tested wire from a variety of places with a wire tensile testing device.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Phone posted:

It's a testing laboratory (Underwriters Laboratories) not a product or a standard, and it's not bullshit.

Confused about crimping? Read this: http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/TM-640160065.pdf

If you're lazy start at page 20 of 27.

kastein posted:

e: also, UL can go to hell, look at the terminals and decide if they're quality yourself. And IIRC UL has nothing to do with rating automotive grade wire (unless it's cited in the respective SAE specs) - all the quality SXL-spec automotive primary wire I can find is rated to SAE J1128 with no direct mention of UL.

Also correct. The "new" standard is ISO 6722 however. That's a minimum of 0.465 millimeters core compared to the 0.508 millimeters of SAE J1128. Do not use crimp terminals between those standards.

ISO wire minimum conductor size is controlled by the resistance of the wire core, so diameter might change depending on the core material used by the manufacturer. That's some more bullshit to account for when shopping crimp terminals.

UL evaluates automotive wire against ISO 6722/DIN 72551 and/or SAE J1128.

Lord Gaga posted:

I am a senior in mechanical engineering

Valid argument. I graduated 23 years ago :corsair:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 8, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phone posted:

Only if it's on bullshit grey-market merchandise.

Ask me about how many devices I had catch fire during my two years in Latin America.. including fans, phones, and routers. From "reputable" Wal-Mart owned companies.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

God drat it! All the stores around me are starting to have poo poo selection for tools. Lowes doesn't carry flare nut wrenches any more. The Craftsman set at Sears looks cheap but isn't priced that way. Are HF's flare nut wrenches good for things that mustn't be rounded?

I got the craftsman set, wasn't thrilled with the $40 price tag, but they feel well made and did a great job with my clutch line fittings. They're nicely polished, and seem to fit well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My Cutmaster 42 arrived, DOA... I'm gonna swap it with Zoro, and hopefully have better luck with the next one.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sharkytm posted:

My Cutmaster 42 arrived, DOA... I'm gonna swap it with Zoro, and hopefully have better luck with the next one.

yay dyslexic brain. Read it as a cumtaster. Anyway what is a cutmaster?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

General_Failure posted:

Obviously it's a tool for circumcisions.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MiniFoo posted:

Obviously it's a tool for circumcisions.

The best part of being a mohel is - the tips are free!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

General_Failure posted:

Thermal dynamics plasma cutter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

mod sassinator posted:

So this 12v portable (but not cordless) 1/2 inch impact wrench is only 40 bucks today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00544EZQ2/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyone ever use a tool like this? It sounds decently powerful from the specs with up to 280lb/ft of torque. Could definitely speed up taking off and putting on (with torque limiting sticks) wheels. Not having to have a 120v outlet or compressor around is nice. Seems handy to have if going offroad too.

Got a chance to use the impact wrench today and I'm pretty happy with it. I can pull a tire off in about 30-60 seconds now, and do it while it's in the air instead of breaking the torque on the ground, lifting, and then removing. Rotating tires is a snap with this tool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This isn't really a tool, more something to carry your tools in.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202018009/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tool+bag&storeId=10051#.UMP_43e8rY0

I've got basically my entire tool collection in it - something like 80+ pounds of tools, everything needed to work on my vehicles aside from a few things like the GM steering column toolkit, balljoint press, etc. It lasted 6-8 months of being dragged around junkyards, slid across gravel, and otherwise being abused before the outer pockets started to come unstitched and the bottoms started to blow out. At the price, it's 100% worth it, I may just keep buying a new one every 6 months without a single complaint, I'm not exactly nice to it.

I've managed to pack all of this into it...
* full set of spark plug sockets
* full set of 1/2" extension bars
* full set of 3/8" extension bars
* full set of 1/4" extension bars
* 1/2, 3/8, and 2x 1/4 ratchets
* two 1/2 breaker bars
* full set of deep SAE impact sockets
* full set of shallow metric impact sockets
* full set 12pt metric sockets
* full set 12pt SAE sockets
* full set Torx drivers
* full set e-Torx sockets
* full set SAE allen bits
* full set metric allen bits
* half a dozen screwdrivers
* full set SAE gearwrenches
* full set metric gearwrenches
* 1 1/16, 2x 7/8, 15/16, and 21mm box wrenches
* 1 1/4 deep impact socket
* 5/16 deep and shallow 6pt sockets (1/4 drive)
* 4lb blacksmiths hammer
* large Wiss tin snips
* long-reach dikes
* linemans pliers
* two packs of long sawzall blades
* one pack of 4.5" cutoff wheels
* drift punch, centerpunch, two cold chisels
* large mechanics prybar
* 5/16 and 8mm 6pt box wrenches
* steering wheel / harmonic balancer puller toolset
* tamperproof screwdriver bit set and screwdriver handle
* full set u-joints, drive adapters, etc
* serpentine belt tensioner toolset
* large gear puller
* air impact driver
* seal puller
* 8mm and 10mm nutdrivers
* a handful of metal files
* full set deep 1/4 drive 12pt SAE sockets
* full set deep 3/8 drive 12pt SAE sockets
* snapring pliers, circlip pliers

I can basically grab my angle grinder and sawzall, their battery packs, the high-lift jack, and hit the junkyard without a single thought about what tools I'll need, because they're all there. Or for that matter, get a call from a stranded friend at midnight, sling the toolbag in the truck, and fix whatever they're driving on the side of the road.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas. He's 6'4" and 230 lbs so something that's fairly heavy duty would be good. I've just done some cursory googling and I'm sort of at a loss! I don't really know the pros and cons of any of them (plastic? Steel? 4 wheel? 6?
Convertible? Not?). So...any advice? He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

soap. posted:

He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).

Cardboard boxes are cheap as hell..

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

soap. posted:

I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas.

If it's a tool you're talking about, you're pretty much the best girlfriend ever.

What you're looking for is probably a crimping tool. A creeper is something like forum poster "Viggen".

I don't know where you live or what the budget is, but if you want to go cheap, this is a rather good tool: http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

If you love him enough to break the bank, Wiha is where it is. http://www.wihatools.com/400seri/436_crimps.htm

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sir Cornelius posted:

If it's a tool you're talking about, you're pretty much the best girlfriend ever.

What you want is actually this.

Sir Cornelius posted:

What you're looking for is probably a crimping tool. A creeper is something like forum poster "Viggen".

:drac:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Viggen posted:

What you want is actually this.

:drac:

hehe, yeah, that makes sense. gently caress, now I want a creeper.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Does he normally work on a smooth floor / surface? Small wheels can be a pain to push around on uneven surfaces.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Do you guys know where I can get exhaust clamps for dirt cheap? I paid $11 for a temporary flex pipe + 1 clamp and it seems silly to pay more than half that for just a single clamp.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Do you guys know where I can get exhaust clamps for dirt cheap? I paid $11 for a temporary flex pipe + 1 clamp and it seems silly to pay more than half that for just a single clamp.

..wire hanger? But really, that isn't too out-of-sorts. Check with your local automotive store.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Colonel K posted:

Does he normally work on a smooth floor / surface? Small wheels can be a pain to push around on uneven surfaces.

Thanks a lot for this. You actually got me thinking. Small wheels aren't necessarily a problem if they're wide enough and have good bearings. Hmm, I've got at least 4 skateboard trucks and some good wheels, bearing and plywood in my workshop.

I've never used a creeper. I've been so privileged to have lifts available most of the times I've needed to seriously work beneath a car. If not, I've just used a camping sleeping mattress like this http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/sunncamp-self-inflating-mattress-1337

Hmm, I feel a creeper project is boiling.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sir Cornelius posted:

hehe, yeah, that makes sense. gently caress, now I want a creeper.
I have one, but end up using a cardboard box most of the time instead because that extra 2" of clearance makes a big difference and works on gravel just as well as concrete. :shrug: 'round here, we call 'em carolina creepers. My rolling creeper is relegated to holding a bunch of bags of concrete and mortar so I can roll it around/out of the way easier.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sir Cornelius posted:

Thanks a lot for this. You actually got me thinking. Small wheels aren't necessarily a problem if they're wide enough and have good bearings. Hmm, I've got at least 4 skateboard trucks and some good wheels, bearing and plywood in my workshop.

Make sure the wheels are MOBILE. The smaller they are and the more they can pivot - the better off you will be. The most broken creepers are the best that I've used, because you don't have to fight (and sometimes bang your knees),

I use a big oil stained cardboard box.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The bigger the wheels are and the stronger their swivels are, the better. Also, as a 6'4" dude working on SUVs and trucks, he definitely wants 6 wheels.

Plastic ones are usually a little flexy but metal ones tend to break if you don't clean the floor well and the wheels jam into things occasionally.

Clearance shouldn't matter much with SUVs and trucks but the lower it is in the middle the better.

I use my craigslist special used motorcycle jacket in the summer and a sheet of cardboard in the winter since it slides very nicely on packed snow or ice... or an actual creeper when I'm over at a friends shop. The cement floor and creeper is way better.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

The bigger the wheels are and the stronger their swivels are, the better. Also, you definitely want 6.

Wait until they get dirt in them. In the winter. They're not very mobile. I like the smaller wheels for a reason.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

yeah that's no fun :(

There are a few flat wheels on the ones at ACEofsnett's shop - mostly from exactly that. But the bigger wheels with stronger swivels will power over dirt, while smaller weaker wheels will flex sideways and wear flat spots into the wheel instead.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If anything look for a creeper with a headrest that tilts up. When I am working on the range rover its nice to have your head tilted up just ever so much.

Just a couple of inches means the difference of a strained neck in the morning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

soap. posted:

I'm looking to buy a creeper for my boyfriend for Christmas. He's 6'4" and 230 lbs so something that's fairly heavy duty would be good. I've just done some cursory googling and I'm sort of at a loss! I don't really know the pros and cons of any of them (plastic? Steel? 4 wheel? 6?
Convertible? Not?). So...any advice? He works almost exclusively on older Toyota trucks and SUVs, if that makes a difference (more clearance?).
I'm not much shy of your boyfriend's size, and one thing I can say is that a slightly longer creeper is better, with wheels right at the corners, so it doesn't kick up on you when you sit up - a short one, or with an overhang at the bottom end, and you can sometimes find it making a break for freedom as you sit up or shift your weight.

If he mainly works on trucks/SUVs, that does help, as it means he doesn't need the lowest possible height

I'll also second what people have said about small wheels being horrible on anything other than a perfectly smooth surface. I'd definitely go for the largest wheels available.

Tool trays can be handy, provided they're at the right "grabbing" level when you're lying on the creeper, but not essential.

There is "The Bone" creeper, which seems to have a good reputation, though I've never used one myself, and they are noticeably more expensive than other options. I'm not sure they're worth the money.

I use this one, as and when I need to, and it does ok on my brick/paving driveway (with a certain amount of gravel getting onto it). It does get hung up on small stones etc, but not badly enough for me to worry too much. It's "ok" but not brilliant. I'd prefer it to be a fraction longer than its 40" overall length, too.

In other news, I decided to get my old man one of these for Christmas:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=15678

He doesn't need one, as he does have a torque wrench already, but I'm hoping the Cool New Toy factor will encourage him to do some stuff with his cars.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Mine were poo poo and rounded off everything they touched and by everything I mean after the 2nd fitting I threw them into the woods while yelling expletives

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
Thanks for all the advice everyone. So far something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000M5WV7I/ref=aw_d_crstars_automotive?qid=1355120463&sr=1-16 looks good. Unless someone has experience with the Bone creeper. I'm willing to shell out for it if its really worth it.

He has a shop so there's no rough terrain issue. Anything else I should consider? Any other opinions on steel vs. plastic?

EDIT: I'm also going to ask for general advice here. If you guys could receive any tool as a gift before you were going to do an engine swap, what would you want?

We just totalled his truck in a freak accident (someone abandoned their car with no lights and no reflectors in the fast land of a dark stretch of freeway; we clipped it at 65mph and rolled.) The engine survived, though, and we're getting a new 4runner carcass to swap it in to. He had just swapped this engine in, too. So he has everything he strictly needs, but can you think of anything I could give him tool-wise that would make it easier?

I just thought a creeper would make it easier on his back (and his clothes, although I'm kind of fond of the smell of gear oil). But I'm open to suggestions!

soap. fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 10, 2012

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Yeah, the HF flare wrenches are poo poo. The ends are really fat (for extra strength?) and won't fit anywhere remotely tight. You know, where you'd need them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Does anyone have some recommendations on a nice set of 3/8ths inch drive metric allen keys? Mine are starting to poo poo the bed and as a result I'm stripping way more allen bolts which leads to rage and yelling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doctor Londom posted:

Yeah, the HF flare wrenches are poo poo. The ends are really fat (for extra strength?) and won't fit anywhere remotely tight. You know, where you'd need them.

Oh good its not just me, I recently purchased a set and was pretty disappointed despite the low price.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
The HF flare nut wrenches worked fine for me, but then again I live in the desert.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

soap. posted:

I just thought a creeper would make it easier on his back (and his clothes, although I'm kind of fond of the smell of gear oil). But I'm open to suggestions!

Your obviously a good g/f. I would just get him a nice gift card to where ever he seems to shop the most for tools. As of right now, I am pretty set on tools, but I do have a $50 sears gift card sitting in the tool chest waiting to be used (yes, I keep it in the chest along with other random assorted things, don't ask).

Or a gift certificate to NAPA is always handy. You know, buying fluids, random poo poo, etc. But yet again I am told that I am about impossible to shop for, so take that for what its worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Z3n posted:

Does anyone have some recommendations on a nice set of 3/8ths inch drive metric allen keys? Mine are starting to poo poo the bed and as a result I'm stripping way more allen bolts which leads to rage and yelling.
I cut 1" off the end of a cheap allen wrench kit with a grinder, and use them with my metric sockets.