Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Good manga, too bad it's never gonna get finished

Why not? Seems to be going along quite well so far, but I've not been keeping up to date on the production side of things.
Are there problems there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, where'd that come from? Nihei has multiple finished mangas under his belt.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I assume it may be the slow translation but the team that does it tends to release the whole volume at once. They just put out volume 6 yesterday.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A few of us follow Sidonia in the shounen/seinen threads and love it. It just isn't really worth making a thread about due to the staggered releases.

People should check it out on principle if they like sci-fi though, it's his best-plotted work since Blame! and obviously it looks great.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Blame! Owns its just dripping with atmosphere and style the plot is really disjointed but man it does the whole the world is hosed and broken beyond measure feeling so drat well.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I actually really like the uncertainty. There is a very consistent narrative, but you can't tell what will happen next. No one is safe, the good guys can and do lose, and the setting is riddled with fascinating mysteries. Even better, the large cast of completely mortal characters are mostly likable and interesting.

This. And I just caught up with this manga after reading it in two 4-hour marathon sessions and now I'm in horrible withdrawal. I take it this story will be finished in approximately 10 years or so? :(

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of manga/manhwa sharing similar traits I'd recommend to try Knight Run. The level of despair and death ratio in its universe is so high and overall chances that humanity would survive seem to be so low that SnK world seems to be a paradise in comparison. I also consider it to be #1 in overall quality among web-manhwa available in English.

bondster
May 6, 2007

TV anime news announcement briefly linked

If this actually turns out to be true :aaa:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not really surprising considering how popular it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is much too early for a tv series. It would be nice if it eventually gets the hellsing ultimate treatment, but that is something that won't happen for like a decade if at all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is much too early for a tv series. It would be nice if it eventually gets the hellsing ultimate treatment, but that is something that won't happen for like a decade if at all.

They could start the Hellsing Ultimate treatment right now and it'd happen in about a decade anyway. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah I dont think they have enough content for a 26 episode run unless they start stretching things. One of the bigger strengths this has is its relatively fast pacing but I guess a slower pace to enhance character/world building could work if its executed well.

I can totally see a 13 episode run though as a thing to drum up more manga sales. You know, like what Madhouse gets commisioned to do a lot of times (Please let it be madhouse that makes it :allears:)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I can totally see a 13 episode run though as a thing to drum up more manga sales. You know, like what Madhouse gets commisioned to do a lot of times (Please let it be madhouse that makes it :allears:)

It's Wit Studio, the people behind Guilty Crown.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

darkgray posted:

...Oh :smith:

Maybe they can do better work if the source material is actually good.

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.
Madhouse should really just do every anime adaption of manga already, geez.

That is pretty exciting though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

They could start the Hellsing Ultimate treatment right now and it'd happen in about a decade anyway. :v:

Quality takes time. I'd rather get something good every couple of years than garbage over one season.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

darkgray posted:

Wit Studio means the giants will almost certainly be 3DCG. Look forward to it.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Killer Queen posted:

Wit Studio means the giants will almost certainly be 3DCG. Look forward to it.

3D digestion scenes :barf:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm really having trouble imagining what an anime SnK would look like. Would they totally just ditch the rough, sketchy art style? Because I can't see it being replicated effectively.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm really having trouble imagining what an anime SnK would look like. Would they totally just ditch the rough, sketchy art style? Because I can't see it being replicated effectively.

You'd be surprised at some of the stuff anime has reproduced. I never thought they could do Shigurui, for instance, but that worked beautifully as anime.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtVFMgvcIc

PV is out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That looks so good it is loving unreal.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Pierson posted:

That looks so good it is loving unreal.

Yes so far the visuals are drat pretty. Also Music, that was great music choice.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

This is loving perfect under every aspect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That PV was great! 3d manoeuvres, giant design fairly untouched, good animation, nice shout done by the VA, and good adaptation of the character design from the manga to the anime.

Of course surely the good animation will be basically in the first two episodes :P

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

I never knew how much I wanted this until now because holy goddamn.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The 3d gear looks and sounds incredible. Spot Rivaille spinning like a dervish through that forest, and the pneumatic pumping noises Eren makes when he's just boosting it through the city. It would be amazing if they could give the main characters their own style of maneuvering.

Man I said this about Jojo like three months ago but I really, really don't want them to gently caress this one up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yeap, pretty much awesome.

Also made me realize how loving cool would be an Advance of the Giants video-game.

Just imagine Shadow of the Colossus with "3D gear".

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I just found out I have appendicitis and this was the perfect counterbalance news.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jesus, I wasn't too excited about an animated adaptation at all, partly just because I love the sketchy and occasionally wonky artwork in the comic.

That little teaser completely sold me on it though. So, good job trailer-making guys/gals that little snippet did it's job really well. :stare:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Ooo potentially the same story but with actual good art? Sign me up.

bondster
May 6, 2007

drat that looks really really good :stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care if it has a filler ending if we can get that quality of animation for the important parts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That looks fantastic. I'm so glad they're not using CG for the titans.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

That looks fantastic. I'm so glad they're not using CG for the titans.

Kind of looks like they are, but are doing it relatively well.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:circlefap: That looks absolutely amazing. This is going to make for one amazing television series; I wonder where they intend to cut off at.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Really hoping the entire budget isn't blown on the first few episodes.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Holy gently caress. You really get a sense of size, of scope. This is fantastic. The animation is incredible!

Seeing the 3D-GEAR in motion is an experience beyond anything that can be captured in the manga.

I almost want to stop reading the manga and just wait for the anime. (That's impossible, of course.)

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Thoren posted:

I almost want to stop reading the manga and just wait for the anime. (That's impossible, of course.)
Why not do both?

The animation looks pretty spectacular from the preview. I'm looking forward to this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

Why not do both?

The animation looks pretty spectacular from the preview. I'm looking forward to this!!

Oh, I will do both.

It's just that seeing the series and experiencing the storyline for the first time in full animation would be awesome.