Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I really don't think any one breed is more quiet than any other, I think it depends on the individual chickens and the dynamics of the flock as well as where they are kept more than anything else. I have had a bunch of breeds, the dominant ladies are usually loud but the more docile ones are pretty quiet regardless of breed. Happy chickens are quiet chickens too...my girls get really noisy and upset when they are confined since they are used to free ranging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
That was what I experienced when I had a big mixed flock of chickens too, so I figured. Gonna eat the noisy ones.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Superconsndar posted:

Sooooooooooo since I am now in posession of a yard of my own, I kinda wanna get a small coop/run and a pair or trio of hens for eggies. I ran it by my partner and she's all for it. :iamafag: No concrete plans yet, but I'd like to shoot for this spring if we do decide to do it.

This might be a dumb question, but are there any breeds that tend to be more quiet than others? You can legally keep up to 6 hens in the city limits here, but I don't want to piss off any neighbors and I also don't need a 30 minute long cackle-party every time someone decides to lay an egg. Some of the hens I used to have were louder than roosters when they laid.

Get brahmas. I know most of my flock is a mutt brothel, but Roostroyer is such a quiet rooster, he doesn't really crow, and while he "talks" a lot, he's nowhere as loud as the henhoes. I don't know how n adult brahma hen is like, but Pancake is about 10 weeks old and pretty chilled for a chick.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Craaap. I think one of my chicks might be a rooster?

They're four weeks old now. Gold laced wyandotte in front, partridge plymoth rock to the left, speckled sussex right, and columbian wyandotte in the back.

It's the Columbian Wyandotte. She/he's a bit larger than the others, but not growing feathers for some reason. I read roosters can be slower to develop?

Even if she's still a hen, that's going to be a problem if she's not feathered enough to go outside with the rest...

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Superconsndar posted:

Sooooooooooo since I am now in posession of a yard of my own, I kinda wanna get a small coop/run and a pair or trio of hens for eggies. I ran it by my partner and she's all for it. :iamafag: No concrete plans yet, but I'd like to shoot for this spring if we do decide to do it.

This might be a dumb question, but are there any breeds that tend to be more quiet than others? You can legally keep up to 6 hens in the city limits here, but I don't want to piss off any neighbors and I also don't need a 30 minute long cackle-party every time someone decides to lay an egg. Some of the hens I used to have were louder than roosters when they laid.

I don't see how anyone could complain about chicken noise. They are far quieter than my neighbor's dog, and as soon as it gets dark they stop.

Also, make sure you give your neighbors eggs and that will go a long way to keeping everyone happy.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
In my experience, a mellow chicken is a quiet chicken. Some breeds, like Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds tend to be noisy and also tend to be aggressive. Brahmas, Wyandottes, Ameracuanas and Easter Eggers all tend to be mellow and quiet. But all of these are just a guess. Willow, for example, unlike the other two RIRs I've had, is quiet and mellow, and Inara is a Andalusian (a lot of people will tell you that the Mediteranian breeds are flightly and noisy), the top hen, and she's not that loud.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN

WrathofKhan posted:

In my experience, a mellow chicken is a quiet chicken. Some breeds, like Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds tend to be noisy and also tend to be aggressive. Brahmas, Wyandottes, Ameracuanas and Easter Eggers all tend to be mellow and quiet. But all of these are just a guess. Willow, for example, unlike the other two RIRs I've had, is quiet and mellow, and Inara is a Andalusian (a lot of people will tell you that the Mediteranian breeds are flightly and noisy), the top hen, and she's not that loud.

This. My way-chill Orpington and Australorp will occasionally quietly cackle at the window to get my attention, but that's the loudest they ever get. My Barred Rock and Welsummer are generally fairly quiet, but when they have no water in the morning (because they empty it all over the floor :argh: ) their honking can wake the dead. The Welsummer will, however, occasionally just wander around yelling angrily for no apparent reason.

My Andalusian is also flighty as hell, but I've never once heard even a peep out of her. Even when we handle her and she's squirming like mad, she's utterly silent. So there're always exceptions to the rules.

(Also, WrathofKhan, thank you for the Inara advice! I'm glad it's just How She Is rather than some sort of issue. Our chickens should totally start a club together :3: )

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I had some Rhode Island Red / Australorp crosses that could absolutely cackle in the morning if I didn't let them out early enough. Unfortunately their undoing, since I let them out about 8 of a morning and apparently that was a wee bit early, since a fox got in the backyard not half an hour later and I was too slow to save 'em.

Foxes pretty much are the worst.

But on a happier note, I got some replacement chooks just yesterday, and they are absolutely delightful and fluffy and oh my gosh I love them. They'll just be bantam-sized, so they should be fine to run in the fox-proofed chicken run I'm building once they grow up, and for now they're fine in the (admittedly hilariously oversized) coop.

I thought about getting more Australorps at point-of-lay, but these dumb-looking youngsters just called to me :allears:

The blue and the brown-and-black are both some variety crossed with silky. They've got feathers on their feet, and I really can't remember what the other breeds were. Oh well. Obviously the black-and-white is a polish.

She is also an eleven-toed freak. I have no idea what's up with that.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, my white crested black Polish hen has spurs that a roo would be proud to own. Polish are delightfully weird. :keke:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, my white crested black Polish hen has spurs that a roo would be proud to own. Polish are delightfully weird. :keke:

Hopefully not as unnecessarily large as Jack and Pheonix's!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

AcetylCoA! posted:

Hopefully not as unnecessarily large as Jack and Pheonix's!

That reminds me, Roostroyer hasn't grown his spurs since he broke them off. He almost gave me a heart attack the both times he did it, but in hindsight him acting like a cock saved me headaches from dealing with spur wounded hens.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I was buying feed on Saturday and they asked me if I wanted regular or organic. I guess I never had thought about it before, I asked the price and organic was $37.00 a bag, which seems a lot. Regular is $20.00. For my personal food I will buy local when I can, but for products that are not local I don't necessarily go out of my way to buy organic.

But then I was thinking about GMO corn and that organic might be the only way to avoid it. But is that even bad? I guess it depends on who you talk to.

What do other people do?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I was buying feed on Saturday and they asked me if I wanted regular or organic. I guess I never had thought about it before, I asked the price and organic was $37.00 a bag, which seems a lot. Regular is $20.00. For my personal food I will buy local when I can, but for products that are not local I don't necessarily go out of my way to buy organic.

But then I was thinking about GMO corn and that organic might be the only way to avoid it. But is that even bad? I guess it depends on who you talk to.

What do other people do?

80 plus million corn-eating Mexicans will tell you that GMO corn won't kill you. You might develop a natural tan and start to roll your Rs, and maybe ask people to call you Pepe Chuy, but besides that, I don't think you have to worry too much about it.

:mexico:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

80 plus million corn-eating Mexicans will tell you that GMO corn won't kill you. You might develop a natural tan and start to roll your Rs, and maybe ask people to call you Pepe Chuy, but besides that, I don't think you have to worry too much about it.

But what happens when you feed it to your chickens?! Am I going to have to buy them teeny sombreros?

Please tell me you have one for Roo...add to his snappy hat collection!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

But what happens when you feed it to your chickens?! Am I going to have to buy them teeny sombreros?

Now there's a thought...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Roostroyer needs a pretty Quinceañera dress! :D

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

Thanks! You are a better chicken mom than I could ever hope to be, so that really sets my mind at ease.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Hopefully this doesn't start a huge derail, but GMO doesn't do anything different than selective breeding, it just does it faster better and more accurately.

The only reason in my opinion to object to GMO is because you object to the ethics of the companies involved and attempts to patent a living thing, or when they abuse their money and power to bully small farmers, but most of the things I've read have tended to be overblown sensationalism. This is coming from someone that prefers buying local and plans to raise a lot of their own food in the near future.

In chicken news, my sister's latest batch of chicks apparently don't understand rain. They ended up huddled in a ball getting absolutely soaked, and she had to go out there and chuck them in the (completely open and accessible) coop. Chickens :keke:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Awkward teenage birds incoming:

Bonus baby Champagne d'Argent meat cross bunnies at a week old:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

In chicken news, my sister's latest batch of chicks apparently don't understand rain. They ended up huddled in a ball getting absolutely soaked, and she had to go out there and chuck them in the (completely open and accessible) coop. Chickens :keke:

Mine deliberately stand out in the rain in small, miserable, drenched groups and glare at me.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Mine deliberately stand out in the rain in small, miserable, drenched groups and glare at me.
Ours go out to forage in the rain for a while, then run back undercover and all sit down and preen until dried off. Then go back out. There was some heavy rain one afternoon, but a glorious rainbow on the horizon. I walked down the garden with my camera to get a photo and the hens naturally followed me (thinking treats no doubt). When they quickly realised I was standing still in the rain with no food forthcoming, they all scarpered back undercover.

First snow of this winter this morning, but the second snow for these ex-batts (a month or so after their release). They're in a far better position health and feather wise this time around, but will keep a keen eye on them all.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Pardalis posted:

Awkward teenage birds incoming:

What kind of turkey is that? A Bourbon Red?

meriruka fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2012

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Yes! She is a Bourbon red, around 10 weeks old.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

This is Fluster, our new Frizzle pullet, and Pardalis needs to post a thousand more pictures of her, because she is hilarious.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
My Blue Splash Marans are growing so fast! There's one clearly bigger than the other, and has already assumed Head Hen status. Her name is Owldolf Hootler, and her subordinate bird is Henito Coosolini

First time outside!

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Pardalis posted:

Yes! She is a Bourbon red, around 10 weeks old.

If turkeys stayed that cute I would have hundreds of them

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I was recently offered a tom Bourbon in trade for my quail hatching eggs. If I had my permit already in place and a large turkey run built, I would have done it without hesitation. Dreams~

E: Look at this ridiculous thing.

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

meriruka posted:

If turkeys stayed that cute I would have hundreds of them

That is one drat fine-looking tom turkey. Are those juveniles or hens with him?

Awww. She's so adorable! I just love Frizzle chickens! They look like indignant flowers. :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
PARDALIS & CAPT FOXY - You folks are GREAT! How much fun are you having with all those critters, don't forget Keeper! I am so jealous! That Frizzle looks like SO MUCH FUN! I have a HUGE smile on my face!

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Inveigle posted:

That is one drat fine-looking tom turkey. Are those juveniles or hens with him?

That's Jerry with his children. (They're about 3 months old) He is a really good dad.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Pardalis, Captain Foxy, I'm so glad you guys go chickens too :D!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

It's good to have hilarious bantam antics to watch again. :3:

Hey chicken color experts (I'm looking at you Tim the Enchanter and Velvet Sparrow) I have a question for you: What would you call this pattern/color?

The chicken in question belongs to my crazy chicken math friend (CCMF) and is a silkie/Cochin cross. When she was a chick she was nearly all white, with a few dark splashes. Would she be considered a Blue/Partridge Splash?

She's awesome in any case. She watched Game of Thrones with us and tried to burrow into my armpit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright so I am beginning to build my backyard they way I want it and was wondering, anyone in here have ducks? I love duck eggs and they are quieter, we are building a pond anyway with a bio filter and all that good stuff, so they could use it.

I was thinking of getting Indian Runner ducks since they dont really fly that much, the research says they are easier on the vegetables in the garden and they are friendly and good layers.

Any sugestions?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Growing up, my family kept Call, Runner and Khaki Campbell ducks, so I can field this.

You can keep ducks in virtually the same style coop as chickens, but ducks aren't inclined to perch, so build the coop horizontally-focused, rather than vertically. They like nest boxes and appreciate a big water dish to dabble in when not on the pond. Predator proofing is particularly important with runners because of their long, easy-to-grab necks. Ducks also get eaten in daylight hours more than chickens, so be aware of that. Also, be sure if you keep chickens to separate them from the ducks, as ducks are messy animals who can transmit a lot of diseases.

If you have a pond in the works, you're doing better than the people who decide kiddie pool is an acceptable substitute (hint: it is not). Runners are paddlers, so they will appreciate a full-service pond. Just be sure you have a good dredging system prepared! Also a good idea to establish a good crop of duckweed/pennywort before allowing the ducks to decimate it.

The only downside(and it is a BIG downside, I will warn you) is the awful, unholy, incredibly foul (pun intended) stench they produce, even with regular cleaning. Duck poo poo is thick, heavy and inclined to become a slurry/sludge that is just loving monsterous to remove by hand or by hose, and it WILL clog up your filter. Be sure you're dredging often, at least once every two weeks, because otherwise that pond will rapidly become completely unhealthy and inhabitable for any animal, not to mention ducks. We had a pond that was really more like a small lake, fed by its own stream and filtered through an industrial pump system, and that thing still STUNK like the bowels of duck hell, all the time, even after cleaning.

All that being said, though, duck meat and duck eggs are primo stuff, and ducks are charming little rascals, so if you decide to go ahead, the stench may just be worth it for you!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

It's good to have hilarious bantam antics to watch again. :3:

Hey chicken color experts (I'm looking at you Tim the Enchanter and Velvet Sparrow) I have a question for you: What would you call this pattern/color?

The chicken in question belongs to my crazy chicken math friend (CCMF) and is a silkie/Cochin cross. When she was a chick she was nearly all white, with a few dark splashes. Would she be considered a Blue/Partridge Splash?

She's awesome in any case. She watched Game of Thrones with us and tried to burrow into my armpit.

I WANT THIS BIRD. She is just TOO cute. As for her color, I'd say 'Splash' but whimsy says 'Tortoiseshell'. :v: It'll be interesting to see if she retains all three colors as an adult!

I second everything said about ducks, we had them when I was growing up and my siblings and myself had to clean the duck pond. Never again will I keep ducks, they are just too messy, the stench was hideous. Although call ducks are damned cute.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
She is a very pretty bird, I love the earth tone colors. SO CUTE!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

She is adorable!

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004
I took some pictures last night, but most turned out blurry. I need a new camera. My babies are about a month old now. I've turned off the light in the brooder because the house is warm and they sleep outside the circle of heat from it, rarely going under it at all. And they peck at each others' fluff when it is on too.

Originally I thought the middle one was a roo but I have changed my mind. There are 2 definite roos though, they are growing combs and wattles, and their chest feathers are turning the beautiful golden-copper of a black copper maran roo. These are the youngest, oldest, and a middle child. (They hate the camera!)

A roo:

Other roo, here you can see the gold/copper mantle:

One of the smaller pullets:

I love that bird Captain Foxy! Wow! Pardalis and meriruka I wish I had those birds as well. Oh god the list is growing so large of all the birds I want to raise.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Had our first 'What are we hatching come Spring' discussion last night (I for sure want Bantam Cochins, for one). We may delay Chickam a bit this year tho since Easter is falling so damned early, I like to hatch in April, not March. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Had our first 'What are we hatching come Spring' discussion last night (I for sure want Bantam Cochins, for one). We may delay Chickam a bit this year tho since Easter is falling so damned early, I like to hatch in April, not March. :argh:

Fizzles! And maybe some naked necks?